AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-11, 11:51   Link #61
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
Putting myself in the father's shoes, if I was working in some soul numbing job from 8am-9:30-10:00pm(usually doing this 6 days a week) while my wife couldn't figure this shit out, (or really not even try) I'd leave/find another woman too!

....unless you wanted the father to get fired and then not pay rent and have their whole family to be homeless. . .then go ahead and blame the father, but as far as I'm concerned in his situation, he did his job.

Yes, but Kotoura's family, by all indications appears to be loaded and very rich. Which makes me wonder whether her Father is a typical Salaryman, or more than an ordinary Salaryman. For all we know, he could well be in the Executive suite - though perhaps things are only slightly better at that level in Japan.I don't think that Middle Class concerns are applicable to Kotoura's situation.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 12:02   Link #62
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Yes, but Kotoura's family, by all indications appears to be loaded and very rich. Which makes me wonder whether her Father is a typical Salaryman, or more than an ordinary Salaryman. For all we know, he could well be in the Executive suite - though perhaps things are only slightly better at that level in Japan.
No.

If he were very rich, he wouldn't have to go to work/never be in a suit/and would be taking his daughter to the doctors office/and able to help her out.

it obvious that they are well off because he WORKS HIS ASS OFF to get and maintain that...

There are a lot of things you are missing and assuming that they are well off because they aren't living in a dump lol, but to have that kind of place the man would have had to work his ass off for YEARS, and at that level would have to work 2-3 times as hard to keep that standard of living for his family period. With all the taxes levied on the Japanese, crap economy that's been going on for 40 years there, business culture that he has to deal with, all of the stress and crap that he has to deal with to keep his family in a "well off" apartment there is more than enough to give him a pass.

The mother could have just spent 20-30 minutes sitting with her daughter at home, figure that esp shit out, and tell her to shut the hell up in a nice way. . .then problem solved(well not really, as it would have to be an ongoing thing). But she was a bad mother. When kids have mental issues in Japan such as asbergers or autism, the MOTHER takes care of that and the kid because the father is working.

But yeah, even if he were at a "high level" he still has to work his ass off, and much more so than an "ordinary salaryman." it's just that simple. Can't really expect him to stretch himself that thin, when his mother is just sitting around, telling her daughter she should have never been born wtf.
CJ_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 12:59   Link #63
Excorsism

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
blub
Can't say I agree with you pushing all the blame on the mother. Much of the blame lies with father as it does with the mother. Although, the mother should've thought it through before going batshit insane on Haruka. Someone should've introduced her to some Sci-Fi books before getting married.
Old 2013-01-11, 13:32   Link #64
Zavie

A very impressive entry episode, as many have already said. Strangely, I find the design and animation very fitting with the story this show was trying to tell. Sure it is not the prettiest thing animated. However, with that style of animation, I think we won't find it odd when the transition between comedy and drama taking place later.

In fact, I think it served the intention of the depressing drama very well, it is indeed very ugly when it's bad. Nn contrast, it's surprisingly fluffy and cute when things are brighter. The difference was shown brilliantly and for me that's the best thing that happened this first week of the new season.
Old 2013-01-11, 14:22   Link #65
ookamigirl

Poor Haruka, what awful parents.
The whole mind reading thing ruined her childhood.
First half was depressing, but then everything changed.
Manabe sure was a clingy friend, but also funny.
I thought this would be stupid and boring, I was wrong.
Will be watching this one!

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 14:45   Link #66
Itlandm
Porcupine

A stalker is usually a bad thing (more so in real life than in anime, I admit) but since she could read his mind she would know that he was not some yandere creep. Just a normal creep. ^_^

Having someone read your mind is a good thing when you are really honest, but as the anime shows, most people aren't, and that's why they reacted so badly. I assume the supernatural club or whatever we see next episode will also feature such simpleminded people, although it would be interesting if they were not all like that.
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 15:51   Link #67
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
The fact that she's voiced by Ika-musume/Cure Peace made the first 10 minutes all the mode painful. DAMN, that was painful to watch.
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 16:39   Link #68
Zavie

I just want to add that the BGM in the 1st half of the episode was antonishingly touching, especially at that screaming moment, to mute her voice right as the track reacj its highest note was very clever and emotional. I haven't seen this particular use of sound directing for awhile now.

Spoiler for YT reation:
Old 2013-01-11, 16:48   Link #69
TCman

What a surprise! I didn't expect Kotoura-san to be like this after seeing some PVs several weeks ago. This anime is pretty well done and actually remind me of School Rumble's Yakumo who also has a similar psychic skill to read people's mind. I guess Yakumo is an introvert girl and that kinda saves her, while Haruka is extravert (basing this on her personality when she's still happy as a little girl) and her mind-reading skill caused her troubles. Ironically (is it the right word?), all the people, who called Haruka a liar, are lying to themselves. Haruka only told the truths and being a little girl telling the truths can be that bad, can't it? So I really can't blame Haruka.
TCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 19:24   Link #70
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecd View Post
her seiyuu is Inoue Kikuko
Indeed. The mother of all motherly voices and THE one voice of a goddess.
Old 2013-01-11, 19:38   Link #71
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
The mother shows up in the opening, makes me wonder if she and Haruka will reconcile in a future episode.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 19:48   Link #72
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post

...at least for the first ten minutes.
Is it acceptable to "Report a Post" for awesomeness?

Have to say that this was incredibly good given how often the same setup is played strictly for laughs.
Old 2013-01-11, 20:58   Link #73
com_gwp

Came for mind-reading ESP girl, stayed for the surprise of the season!

The first half of the episode was brilliant directed in the same way the opening minutes of "UP" was. That dramatic prologue/montage of Kotoura's life, that slow deconstruction of her life and the change from her cheerful nature to that cynical personality was one of the most heartbreaking things I've seen in recent memory.

Which made her interactions with Manabe in the second half so amazingly heartwarming as he wormed his way into her heart. The interactions between the two of them are just so charming.

Definitely going to stick around for a couple more episodes and see if this will deliver. This first episode showed a lot of promise.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 22:14   Link #74
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Poor Haruka I tought she was going all Lucy and start killing
Old 2013-01-11, 23:01   Link #75
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Certainly didnt expect the first 10 minutes to be all gloomy like that...
Haruka background story is fitting to become the villain of the story...

A solid good 1st episode.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 02:32   Link #76
Pacify

Hmmn, so far the only show of the season that I doubt I'll be dropping. Had to feel sorry for poor Haruka, the first half was pretty depressing

surprise show of the season so far
Pacify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 05:46   Link #77
Nork22

Well it was a depressing back story for sure, but something at the back of my mind just scoffs at this forced drama. I get the idea that she knew she had these powers, but to just continuously run her mouth without realising the constant consequences just makes me less caring of the drama or the situation she puts herself into. At least the mood changed half-way thru, but I expect the drama would be back.
Old 2013-01-12, 07:31   Link #78
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excorsism View Post
Can't say I agree with you pushing all the blame on the mother. Much of the blame lies with father as it does with the mother. Although, the mother should've thought it through before going batshit insane on Haruka. Someone should've introduced her to some Sci-Fi books before getting married.
The moral of the story is to read more Sci-Fi.

Pretty strong first episode, especially the transition from the first half to the 2nd half. Although the humor portions are a lot more typical. The imagination sections could really use some SHAFTing though. In fact, the series seems like a prime target for some Shinbo antics.

I actually didn't know this was supposed to be a love comedy so the transition really caught me by surprise. Although had they decided to Urobutcher it up I also wouldn't have minded.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 22:30   Link #79
garbage

whoo! that was something, I almost felt trolled on that first part thought it was some heavy stuff like Elfen Lied coming into the show without any prior knowledge or even previews. but damn I really liked that, especially that first meeting between manabe and kotourawhere the world literally broke apart for Kotoura.

in terms of the art don't really have much of a problem, proportion wise I think it's kinda average for Anime, so all's well for me. Kotoura-san so cute , really did feel sorry for her in the beginning.

for music waii!! it's Megumi Nakajima ? nice :Heh:

I can't help wonder though , the parents & grandparents kinda lacking in "common sense" or would that be pragmatism, I mean they should have just taught her how to be discreet about her powers. Albeit it would really be hard for those who have something to hide, to be around Kotura, ( and almost everyone does) , still they for me really are sucky parents to give up like that.
Old 2013-01-12, 23:33   Link #80
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
Best scene
Touma, breaking illusions through dimensions
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4-koma, drama, romantic comedy, school life, seinen, slice of life, supernatural, tragedy