AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-07-14, 02:11   Link #821
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
On the whole issue about Gipsy's swords, it seemed to me like they were just a newly-developed weapon rolled out with Gypsy's refit; remember they weren't just blades that slid out/folded out of the arms like Striker's claws, but collapsible saw-blades. Collapsible means weaker structural integrity than old-fashioned solid swords, so they needed to be advanced enough so that they wouldn't break in combat.
That too. Plus, it wouldn't fit in with any of the Jaegers on deck. Crimson has its sawblades, Cherno's style is more bulky, heavy punches and no finesse, and Striker already has Sting Blades. Only Gipsy was a potential candidate for having the swords in.

On a design note, Tacit Ronin and Striker Eureka screamed Armored Core for me. You can even find their parts in-game.
Old 2013-07-14, 03:07   Link #822
iceyfw

i usually come out of a movie theater thinking to myself it was a pretty entertaining movie. but this one... THIS ONE... i came out thinking AWESOMESAUCE and i must watch it again when i buy it on blu-ray! and i have never ever purchased any blu-ray movie before. that's how much it impressed me. it totally had nothing to do with me being a mecha fan. yup. no siree!
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 03:17   Link #823
solidvanz
Special Operative

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/...ray-and-sequel

Spoiler for Kaiju's secret revealed if there is a sequel in the future...:
Old 2013-07-14, 03:30   Link #824
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Rather than a movie sequel, hurry up and get Kojima onboard to make a proper game ! I don't care if you have to make it AU !
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 03:40   Link #825
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotCat View Post

-Hannibal Chau seemed to know a lot more than he let on, especially about linking minds with the Kaiji. Maybe that ties to the whole conspiracy thing I talked about before.
No Hannibal Chau has common sense. Drifting is a two way experience. That is public knowledge. Newton knowns what the Kaiju knows. That is how he learned they are a hivemind. But now the Kaiju and their masters knows that Newton knows.

Hannibal put two and two together when two Kaiju went a beeline for Hong Kong. He points out how much a dumbass Newton is.

Two Kaiju Category 4 were sent just to kill Newton. So Hannibal sends Newton as far away from him as possible. He already lost an eye from one of those public shelters.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 04:08   Link #826
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidvanz View Post
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/...ray-and-sequel

Spoiler for Kaiju's secret revealed if there is a sequel in the future...:
Now we need Mark 5 and higher Jaegers. The Russian Jaeger pilots better be Cryska and Inia this time around. Bonus points for chainsaw arm blades.
Old 2013-07-14, 04:14   Link #827
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemisphere View Post
Now we need Mark 5 and higher Jaegers. The Russian Jaeger pilots better be Cryska and Inia this time around. Bonus points for chainsaw arm blades.
Forget that. Call in Axel Almer. He'll show the rangers how it's done.

And Sanger Zonvolt. Don't forget to make him a Zankantou.
Old 2013-07-14, 04:23   Link #828
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Come to think of it...after being reminded of BETAs with that silicon-based lifeforms bit, the whole kaiju drift reminds me of Muvluv Alternative.

Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Forget that. Call in Axel Almer. He'll show the rangers how it's done.

And Sanger Zonvolt. Don't forget to make him a Zankantou.
Imagine if they came up with something like a live-action SRW film, along the likes of Pacific Rim's cinematography. I'd be jizzing buckets glued to my seat all day long.
Old 2013-07-14, 04:30   Link #829
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

I shall rename this movie in my mind as Shingeki no Kaiju because of how similar Pacific Rim is to Shingeki no Kyojin... in a way

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 04:34   Link #830
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Imagine if they came up with something like a live-action SRW film, along the likes of Pacific Rim's cinematography. I'd be jizzing buckets glued to my seat all day long.
This.

Oh, and here's another guy who would fit right in with the Jaegers.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Seriously, a Revolving Bunker or the Claymores would have fit a Jaeger like a glove.
Old 2013-07-14, 04:37   Link #831
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Gipsy already used the plasmacaster in a manner similar to Alt Eisen's Revolving Bunker, repeatedly even! Granted, those were just point-blank shots, nothing like stab-and-shoot...but the thought still counts. So Raleigh's almost there.

I'd love to see more Super Robot-inspired and Real Robot-inspired Jaegers. More from Armored Core, and some from Muvluv Alternative, personally speaking, if there's going to be a Pacific Rim sequel.
Old 2013-07-14, 04:48   Link #832
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I'm just happy that they managed to make BURESTO FAIIIIIIIIIIIIIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA believable.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 04:55   Link #833
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

That and rocket punch. There was, like, only one other Mazinger nerd with me in the cinema I watched it in. So depressing.
Old 2013-07-14, 05:06   Link #834
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
That and rocket punch. There was, like, only one other Mazinger nerd with me in the cinema I watched it in. So depressing.
Hey, at least you had that. Absolutely nobody in the room I was in knew anything about mecha.
Old 2013-07-14, 07:24   Link #835
Helius

Quote:
Kinda makes me go "huh?" as to how a robo arm with all its intricate parts can withstand such impacts.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 08:13   Link #836
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
Kinda makes me go "huh?" as to how a robo arm with all its intricate parts can withstand such impacts.
Don't bring up the matter of giant robot limbs surviving impacts man. If we go down that road, we have to start seriously considering how Gypsy Danger avoids tearing its legs apart everytime it takes a step.

I mean. Think about it. Gpysy Danger lifts its feet how high when ever it takes a step? About 30-40 feet? Imagine if you took an Abrams tank and dropped it 30-40 feet a couple hundred times. How good of shape do you think it would be in? Not very! Especially when you consider that there's MUCH more weight involved in these impacts than with a tank.

That's not even going into how much Gypsy Danger should weigh realistically. 2,000 metric tons is impossibly light. If you took an average six foot human male who weighed about 170+ pounds and scaled him up to the size of a Jaeger, he'd weigh in excess of 6,000 metric tons. And THAT'S a being of flesh and bone. Not an armored battle machine.

From an engineering perspective, the idea that a Jaeger could have deployable swords/plasma cannons in its arms that it uses for fistacuffs is a pretty small leap compared to the idea of Jaegers in the first place.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 08:28   Link #837
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

My past comment remains in effect; if the giant monsters can even exist, then by that measure so can giant robots. Indeed, Kaiju bodyparts have been harvested and used for their unique properties. The laws of physics applies to both sides. To build a giant robot in the Pacific Rim universe is just another form of reverse engineering. You know, like Mecha Godzilla.
Old 2013-07-14, 08:32   Link #838
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
My past comment remains in effect; if the giant monsters can even exist, then by that measure so can giant robots. Indeed, Kaiju bodyparts have been harvested and used for their unique properties. The laws of physics applies to both sides. To build a giant robot in the Pacific Rim universe is just another form of reverse engineering. You know, like Mecha Godzilla.
That's really closer to Evangelion than Pacific Rim though!

Though the idea of using a Kaiju's skeletal system as raw material for a Jaeger's body would be amusing. Especially if you decided to make it explicitly clear that only Kaiju material was physically robust enough to be formed into something like a robot.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 08:34   Link #839
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

They'd have to have some hardcore preservation methods though, because kaiju remains don't last for long.
Old 2013-07-14, 08:36   Link #840
Helius

Oops, can of worms accidentally opened.

But still, while hard science isn't by any means a main focus of this film, it's still difficult to suspend the disbelief when you're already predisposed to the mechanics of it. For instance a Chinook can lift no more than 10 tons while the average Jaeger weighs 2,000 tons. You'd be needing at least 200 helos just to carry a single Jaeger....man, the nerds that we are...
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad ass, mecha, monster