AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 03 Rating
Perfect 10 12 10.26%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 32.48%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 38 32.48%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 14.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 6.84%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.85%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.85%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.71%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-28, 05:30   Link #181
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Indeed thanks to both. It shows once again how troublesome it is to catch certain references within different cultures. I'll rewatch that scene with a new eye from now on.
Old 2007-04-28, 05:49   Link #182
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
yea its sometimes a problem when the show comments heavily on the cultural and language differences...there only so much foot notes you can put above the lines spoken but seriously it really limits the fun if you arent able to get the joke first thing >.< with the LC subs i had to pause the ep quite a number of times just to read the info at the top...which kinda annoyed me as it not only interrupted the flow of the ep but also i get the feeling of being dumbed down

edit: and thats a fricking big nose (points at wiki article) XD

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-04-28, 06:26   Link #183
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Pedophilia refers to sexual attraction to pre-pubsescent children. It is often misused by lay people to refer to attraction to "underage" women (where underage varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction). It depends on how one defines a "young girl" I suppose ....
"loli" also refers to a clothing style or waifish appearance - making its meaning even more multi-layered. My observation of japanese culture shows some grey murkiness in the term's use.
In terms of the episode.... it really depends on how we're to intrepret her remarks ... and whether we should consider her "lolita"-ish or younger. She certainly doesn't look child-like when she drops into her "dark" mode.

As far as the english lexicon... half the english language is composed of lifted words (more than a few recently from japanese).... english is a thuggish language of acquisition.

... which is why I said "whatever" ....

Does this mean we get to chain you up and paddle you now?
Hold the chains and paddles, grasshopper. From the way you describe your missus every now and then, some might say you're a lolicon. J/K
Old 2007-04-28, 07:27   Link #184
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
[Akari] was talking about how she has her own brand of obsessive fans, and "lolicon" was not said with endearment in mind. She was being condescending and rude to her own fanbase (and indirectly, the fanbase in general), with an intent to insult.
I wonder if she posts on Mixi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diedrupo View Post
Lolicon and pedophile may be two different words, but they are pretty similar. ... Pedophile would be a perfectly acceptable word to replace it with ... since it is the english word closest to what Lolicon means short of using "lolita complex" which would be awkward in any translation.
Slightly OT, but "lolita" can also be used with a very different meaning in Japan. Do the Japanese ever refer to the dirty-raincoat variety as "lolita", or do they reserve "loli" for that? I once saw a sign reading 「ロリ・コーナー」 in a Toranoana store, though unfortunately not soon enough to prevent my eyes burning...

Anyway, ep3:

Am I the only one who immediately thought "Haruhi reference" during this dialogue?

Kagami: But I have a feeling that anyone would look good with a ponytail.
Konata: Are you sure about that?

I'm probably reading too much into it (in fact does this bit in the manga predate SHnY?), but just the way Konata paused seemed significant. Unless it was an "anyone except you, Kagami-chan" sort of pause.

I also cracked up at Konata's impassioned speech about not defiling your anime collectibles by using them - not least because I've just been sorting out my collection of pretty-but-useless Japanese phonecards. The dramatic BGM during her speech just makes it funnier.

Finally, I love Konata's voice during the "I'm a geek" bit - the combination of Hirano's intonation and the slight echo they add has me going back and replaying it with my eyes closed. And don't get me started on the "victory sound" she makes during this scene:

Spoiler for ep3 17:44:

Excuse me while I squee
Old 2007-04-28, 10:07   Link #185
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Am I the only one who immediately thought "Haruhi reference" during this dialogue?

Kagami: But I have a feeling that anyone would look good with a ponytail.
Konata: Are you sure about that?
It's been discussed in some forums, it certainly made me think of Kyon's speech to Haruhi about looking good in a ponytail. When you add in the fumoffu allusion too it makes you wonder whether Kyon might have a secret hobby of lurking in dark alleyways wearing a horse's head... in Konata's imagination maybe...

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Old 2007-04-28, 11:54   Link #186
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Hold the chains and paddles, grasshopper. From the way you describe your missus every now and then, some might say you're a lolicon. J/K
look up "weeaboo" and the obscure reference will make more sense

Heh, he said "weeaboo".
Old 2007-04-28, 12:07   Link #187
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

thanks for the cookie

just an extra for the niceties, the same long pointy nose metaphor was also used in Honey & Clover when Morita proclaim Bill Gates as his guardian angel. (Mr Microsoft had a unnaturally pointy nose in that part)

Spoiler for pointy noses:

Last edited by Jazzrat; 2007-04-28 at 12:23.
Old 2007-04-28, 15:47   Link #188
Maveric
Aimai 3 cm

Send a message via AIM to Maveric
At the end of the episode (afk 19:30), Konata says "That was what you call an element of turning people on." right before her "GOOD JOB!" Is that supposed to mean the same kid of "turn on" as in western culture? Cuz they've used it before too, but I don't see how this play on words really works as a joke.

Or you know, I could have no sense of humor and just don't get it.
Old 2007-04-28, 16:17   Link #189
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Moe isn't necessarily sexual.
Old 2007-04-28, 18:53   Link #190
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maveric View Post
At the end of the episode (afk 19:30), Konata says "That was what you call an element of turning people on."
afk used the same phrase to describe moe in Haruhi, it's a rather narrow definition which fitted the Haruhi case where she was talking about Mikuru's moe attributes but like Anh_Minh says moe isn't necessarily about sexiness, in fact there is no universally accepted definition of the term moe, it means many things to many people in various subcultures. That it arises from two homophones, "budding" and "burning" (萌え and 燃え), is about all that can be said without too much fear of contradiction.

All Kona-chan means when she says "good job" is that Miyuki is living up to the moe sterotype that Kona-chan has of her. Personally I'd never considered klutziness to be a significant aspect of moe, but it's clear from Kona-chan's ramblings about Miyuki that some people do, presumably because it can confer an endearing quality of vulnerability that makes people feel protective about that person. However not every klutzy person is moe by a long chalk, and in fact I don't regard Miyuki as moe myself, I think Tsukasa is the real moe character. Miyuki is the "tick box" moe character, like others have said she's a parody: on paper she has all the attributes required of a moe character yet they don't combine to give a real feeling of moe (I probably just pissed off a lot of Miyuki fans there....)

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Old 2007-04-28, 21:39   Link #191
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
~ (I probably just pissed off a lot of Miyuki fans there....)
Wait... there's Miyuki-fans out there?

j/k

Narf.
Old 2007-04-28, 23:01   Link #192
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Wait... there's Miyuki-fans out there?

j/k

Narf.
ROOARRRR !!!

I wont forget this!! j/k
Old 2007-04-29, 03:11   Link #193
Anime Online

I would say Miyuki fits one version of moe, but the really moe one would be Akira. From her overlong sleeves, her cute Japanese and her expressions, the overall impression just screams "MOE!". This makes her Jekyll & Hyde transformations funnier.
Old 2007-04-29, 03:17   Link #194
Telliamed
sensei no pet

I think we'd have a much harder time trying to find the character in L*S who isn't moe.

... hell, even Minoru has it.
Old 2007-04-29, 04:03   Link #195
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Personally, I like most of the Akamatsu Ken definition of moe, which involves a reflexive "motherly" obsession with someone cute and in need of protection. I think that's why being klutzy is moe. But I think Akamatsu protests too much when he says there is never a sexual element involved.

However, I think that the term has become completely debased now, in the SaiMoe tournament in particular, so that it in common parlance it just means "turns you on." So that translation would be okay...except that I think Konata is using "moe" in its original sense.

But I'm not going to be a stickler here. I'd probably just translate it "moe," myself, but "turn-on" is quite reasonable, and has the definite advantage of being more widely understood.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-04-29, 05:26   Link #196
nikorai

Send a message via ICQ to nikorai
hello.
im awfully late. just watched the episode though i downloaded it back on tuesday. i think i need to watch it again. there are a lot of talks full of jokes and references. i surely missed half of them
Old 2007-04-29, 10:27   Link #197
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Personally, I like most of the Akamatsu Ken definition of moe, which involves a reflexive "motherly" obsession with someone cute and in need of protection. I think that's why being klutzy is moe. But I think Akamatsu protests too much when he says there is never a sexual element involved.
I'm going to interject here and point out that Akamatsu is a lolicon/pedophile. (Yes, he falls under both). Therefore his attempt to define "moe" is the same as asking a standard leecher to define a fansub. (They will deny/not mention illegality.)
Quote:
However, I think that the term has become completely debased now, in the SaiMoe tournament in particular, so that it in common parlance it just means "turns you on." So that translation would be okay...except that I think Konata is using "moe" in its original sense.

But I'm not going to be a stickler here. I'd probably just translate it "moe," myself, but "turn-on" is quite reasonable, and has the definite advantage of being more widely understood.
I think it's clear that, especially in the context of ep3, Konata means fetish which is just the same contextually as a turn-on. She is refering to how Miyuki's silly clutziness is something guys will like. (I use fetish since she refers to it as an element or type.)

The other problem of not translating "moe" is that while "moe" makes sense to hardcore otaku as a word, the majority of otaku have one of three definitions in their head. Therefore putting it in a sub would cause different meanings to different people.
Old 2007-04-29, 12:19   Link #198
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
I'm going to interject here and point out that Akamatsu is a lolicon/pedophile. (Yes, he falls under both). Therefore his attempt to define "moe" is the same as asking a standard leecher to define a fansub. (They will deny/not mention illegality.)
Except of course, Akamatsu is happily married...

I fail to see how he wouldn't be qualified to give a definition for moe. Your opinion of the manga author is rather unnaturally harsh, I am afraid. Are you suggesting he should be in jail?
Old 2007-04-29, 14:25   Link #199
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Except of course, Akamatsu is happily married...

I fail to see how he wouldn't be qualified to give a definition for moe. Your opinion of the manga author is rather unnaturally harsh, I am afraid. Are you suggesting he should be in jail?
Akamatsu got married to his current wife when she was 16. (He was 30+.) I can't find the information for it but she was at most 14 when they first met. (There are rumors regarding negima!? and love hina regarding these issues.) To give another analogy, him defining moe is the same thing as a drug addict defining addiction.

I am not suggesting he should be jailed or anything. I am just saying that someone who likes young girls should not be defining that a word regarding feelings toward young girls (in his case).
Old 2007-04-29, 14:32   Link #200
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
I am not suggesting he should be jailed or anything. I am just saying that someone who likes young girls should not be defining that a word regarding feelings toward young girls (in his case).
Because he has feelings for young girls, he's not qualified to define feelings toward young girls...?

As for your comparison, I think I'd trust a drug addicts definition of addiciton more than someone who has never known what it's like to be addicted to something.
Closed Thread