AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-07-04, 16:02   Link #4561
Tendou Souji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Lion View Post
I'm just wondering if all this is going to be officially endorsed by Sunrise or Bandai - IE, model kits and game appearances.

And when is the third tankoban (that is what they're called right?) for Glory set to release? I'm itching to have it in my hands after reading Deacon's releases
Well model kits are probably going to happen. Snow White and Warlock were shown off cloaked a month or 2 ago under the Wing 2012 MG sign. People are expecting a cameo in G Gen Overworld from at least one of the suits. The EW versions of the original suits are already in. I wouldn't be surprised if Prometheus was in the game or even Snow White if they reveal it before release.
Tendou Souji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 18:24   Link #4562
Eeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
*bashes head on desk*

An adult is NOT going to have the same characteristics as a teenager. Hell, a 40-something year old isn't going to have the same mindset as a 20-something year old. Everything about us changes as we get older and wiser. Sometimes those of us who were carefree and light-hearted turn into backstabbing assholes later on in life. Unforeseen events and incidents that happen in life mold and shape us into different people.

The thing is, you have to remember that these were teenagers portrayed in the television series... they have super weapons so they can have the "I'm gonna change the world! I'll save it and they kick back with some champagne afterwards!"

Not to use Duo as a specific example, but... you saw what Duo grew up with. He didn't exhibit any of this in the series, for obvious reasons, but what's to say that he didn't just snap at some point later on down the line? Maybe he suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder! Soldiers coming back end up suffering from that months sometimes years after they've exited the combat arena. People can have a midlife crisis too. The list is exhaustive, really.

Man... I guess I really need to refocus my efforts on this damn novel, huh? :S
No one is upset about or arguing about how they're not the exact same as they were in the series. We're upset for the reasoning behind the change, or to be more accurate, the lack there of.

Again, the character in FT are doing stuff that leaves you boggled. Let's forget about Duo. How about Quatre? He's suddenly alright with having a clone of himself being made? For what reason? We're told that Oud was created to be spare parts for him. That totally goes against what was established in the series and even Ep.0. In the series he believed that he and his 29 sisters were created on the whim of their father in order for Zayeed to use them. As Quatre saw it, all these children were only pawns to be played on a board. Quatre hated himself because he thought he was just a means to an end. He hated his father for it. He ran away from his father. He disobeyed his father and piloted a gundam to show his father that he was a living being who had thoughts and feelings, not a mere puppet to be manipulated. And then after snapping, he seems to regret that he never got along with his father, but now its too late to do anything about it.
And now, here he is 20 years later and is suddenly ok with creating another life that is going to be sacrificed just in case something were to happen to him? If that's not a 180, I'm not sure what is.

Let's look at Catherine. She knew exactly how she became an orphan and throughout her 18 years of living hated war and mechas because of it. She was living happily at the circus not thinking about the war very much because it didn't effect her, it's not part of her everyday life. Trowa reveals himself as a mecha pilot, a gundam pilot no less, tries to commit suicide there and she gets pissed off. She eventually lightens up a little and scoffs at Heero for "being the one to put such strange ideas into Trowa's head". She knows she can't keep Trowa from leaving so she just asks him to be safe and makes him promise to return. When she finds him again, Trowa is hurt and doesn't remember anything. Duo shows up and she nearly flips, yelling at him. She's really angry that anyone would want her "lil brother" to go back out into battle and probably die. She tried to keep Trowa from getting involved again, but eventually when he does remember stuff, she lets him go again knowing that she can't stop him. By the end of the series she's just happy that he came back alive and well.
Now we're told that she's ok with training pilots? What happened to her deep hatred of war? She was reluctant to let Trowa go to fight, why the hell is going out herself? Not to mention that as far as we've been told she's never once even touched a MS.

I can't say much for Trowa because he seems like the kind of guy who is just going to go with the flow and assimilate into any situation he finds himself in.

What are Zechs and Noin doing? It appears that everyone in the Mars Federation and ESUN know that Lucrezia Noin married and had children with Milliardo Peacecraft, who is the President of Mars. Did everyone forget that Milliardo Peacecraft IS a war criminal who tried to destroy the earth by dropping a battleship? Who the hell voted form him to be their president? Or did he just take the office by force and no one gave two sh*ts about it? Why didn't Zechs stop the man himself, you'd think he'd be bothered by someone with his face and name taking a very public office.
Not only that, but apparently Noin's marriage seems to be a sham of sorts because she's living with her brother who had a thing for wanting to be Millardo himself. Freaky doesn't even begin to express it. Where is Zechs in all this? Why would either of them even allow for Noin to be a pretend wife of her psychotic brother? Let alone have the twins anywhere near this guy? And then there's the fact that Zechs does seem to have some sort of contact with his family, so Noin and her kids aren't really hostages being held against their wills. So does this mean that Zechs comes home on the weekend to his wife and kids at his crazy brother-in-laws? What the hell is going on here?

And I could go on... but now I'm angry and hungry and need a tub of ice cream to calm my girl nerves.

I don't think I've ever seen so much nonsense in so little space. -FalsePrime

Stone Age man attempted to draw movement on cave walls by drawing mammoths with multiple legs. The artists worked until their eyes went bad, they got no pay, no credit, and they were eventually eaten by wild animals. Animation was born! - Tom Sito

And as the Black Beast lurched forward, escape for Arthur and his knights seemed hopeless, when suddenly, the animator suffered a fatal heart attack! The cartoon peril was no more. The quest for the Holy Grail could continue. - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Last edited by Eeni; 2012-07-06 at 02:44.
Eeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 18:39   Link #4563
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Glory Vol.3 is out now.

*whispers* I didn't photoshop the After Colony timeline that came with it. *flees*
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 22:37   Link #4564
Destined_Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendou Souji View Post
Goku isn't a three dimensional character. He thought marriage was a food. He elected to stay dead instead of raising his kid with his wife. He ran away at the end of the manga to raise a kid he didn't even know. Goku was a terrible father and husband.

Again, Purdy. We jumped back into DUo's life years after Endless Waltz. We don't know what he went through emotionally during that time.
Still a better father and husband than Duo by far.

Quote:
*bashes head on desk*

An adult is NOT going to have the same characteristics as a teenager. Hell, a 40-something year old isn't going to have the same mindset as a 20-something year old. Everything about us changes as we get older and wiser. Sometimes those of us who were carefree and light-hearted turn into backstabbing assholes later on in life. Unforeseen events and incidents that happen in life mold and shape us into different people.

The thing is, you have to remember that these were teenagers portrayed in the television series... they have super weapons so they can have the "I'm gonna change the world! I'll save it and they kick back with some champagne afterwards!"

Not to use Duo as a specific example, but... you saw what Duo grew up with. He didn't exhibit any of this in the series, for obvious reasons, but what's to say that he didn't just snap at some point later on down the line? Maybe he suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder! Soldiers coming back end up suffering from that months sometimes years after they've exited the combat arena. People can have a midlife crisis too. The list is exhaustive, really.

Man... I guess I really need to refocus my efforts on this damn novel, huh? :S
That's still a complete 180 change that is nothing like what was established for Duo at the end of EW. For example, I'm an adult now and I'm not suddenly totally different from my old child self. Who are you in your childhood/teenage years doesn't suddenly get erased just because 10 years or so have passed.

Especially since Duo had a very bright future after EW and was madly in love with Hilde and dating her. The endings of EW even shows Duo taking new jobs without fighting and enjoying his hard earned happiness with Hilde. Being that in love, and EW showing that he was finally moving on, with her than ditching her for a bike and being unable to move on from his past war self? That isn't Duo.

I don't care what Duo grew up with. The series and EW showed that Duo never let that get in the way of being full of life and being happy with Hilde - The epilogue of EW just reinforced that. Also, PTSD is thrown around too easily. The worst tragedy Duo ever faced in Wing TV was Hilde almost dying and maybe feeeling guilty for killing soldiers that wanted to kill him. All in all, they didn't offer any explanation for this change. Duo just appears and he's a super douchebag to everyone, especially Hilde who he loved the most in Wing TV and EW.

Than there's the whole turning Duo's friendly behavior into "I wanna bang all the girls I can, smoke, and drink heavily. Better if I'm doing it while I'm married to the woman I love, but I only married because I need money for my bike, even though I promised not to despite the fact that I used to always keep my promises even if it almost killed me a few times!".

Last edited by Destined_Fate; 2012-07-04 at 23:11.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 23:02   Link #4565
Purdys99

Quote:
Goku isn't a three dimensional character. He thought marriage was a food. He elected to stay dead instead of raising his kid with his wife. He ran away at the end of the manga to raise a kid he didn't even know. Goku was a terrible father and husband.

Again, Purdy. We jumped back into DUo's life years after Endless Waltz. We don't know what he went through emotionally during that time.

You're right. Goku was a horrible father and husband (not being sarcastic). But at least he remembered he was married :P

Also, I KNOW that we've flash foreward years after EW. I clearly stated that I was aware of the 'time jump' in my post. And again, you're ABSOLUTELY RIGHT: we DON'T know what he went through emotionally during that allotted time. That's the whole issue! Its story telling 101: SHOW, don't tell. We don't know why Duo is the way he is other than the presumption of him going through PTSD. We don't know why Hilde has grown so hostile towards him. Like Ikunze said, "I demand a good explanation." Duo SAYING he's depressed is not the same as him showing it to us. His narrative doesn't give us any insight on what his life was like after the war or what his relationship was like with Hilde.

I dont' care if Sumizawa had Duo living in a different dimension where he's king of the elves and at war with the mermaids. Just as long as he EXPLAINS it. Show the audience HOW that came to be. And he cleary hasn't with his characterization of Duo and the rest of the cast.

In the end, if you're enjoying FT, all the more power to you. We might have very different notions on what makes good story telling and characters. All in all, we'll just agree to disagree on FT.
Purdys99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 23:15   Link #4566
Purdys99

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
And "I'm depressed/bored/woke up one morning and decided to be a total douche" is not cutting it, you know?
Took the words right out of my mouth. lol
Old 2012-07-04, 23:32   Link #4567
Sommer
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post

Especially since Duo had a very bright future after EW and was madly in love with Hilde and dating her.
Did I miss this part or should I put the shipping google?
Sommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 23:43   Link #4568
Destined_Fate

You didn't watch the credits did you? EW had more than one ending credits and each of them shows him happy with Hilde, and going on dates, and moving on with his life outside War. There's no hint that he would turn into the super douchebag that is FT Duo.

And it's goggle.
Old 2012-07-04, 23:54   Link #4569
Sommer
Hobbit

Quote:
You didn't watch the credits did you? EW had more than one ending credits and each of them shows him happy with Hilde, and going on dates, and moving on with his life outside War. There's no hint that he would turn into the super douchebag that is FT Duo.

And it's goggle.
Yes, yes I did. I get the part of him moving on but "madly in love with Hilde"? :/
Old 2012-07-05, 00:09   Link #4570
Eeni

Oh Purdys, I want to marry you when I see you talking about story and character writing!

Quote:
Especially since Duo had a very bright future after EW and was madly in love with Hilde and dating her. The endings of EW even shows Duo taking new jobs without fighting and enjoying his hard earned happiness with Hilde. Being that in love, and EW showing that he was finally moving on, with her than ditching her for a bike and being unable to move on from his past war self? That isn't Duo.
I don't get the feeling that Duo was ever madly in love with Hilde. It only felt that Duo cared for her, like he just took to living with her because, hey, let's face it, two are better then one. If he had found a kid or some random adult who was out and down on their luck , he probably would have asked them to come live with him too. At least, that's how I fell about it.

Stone Age man attempted to draw movement on cave walls by drawing mammoths with multiple legs. The artists worked until their eyes went bad, they got no pay, no credit, and they were eventually eaten by wild animals. Animation was born! - Tom Sito

And as the Black Beast lurched forward, escape for Arthur and his knights seemed hopeless, when suddenly, the animator suffered a fatal heart attack! The cartoon peril was no more. The quest for the Holy Grail could continue. - Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Old 2012-07-05, 00:22   Link #4571
Purdys99

Quote:

And it's goggle.
Eh, I wouldn't go as far to say he was madly in love with Hilde (as much as I want it to happen). You can only interpret what the story gives you. As for the dates, again, since there was no dialogue or narration, I guess its free to interpret that scene of him and Hilde eating together. However, again, as much as I want them to be together, even I never saw that scene as a date. They were just having lunch and laughing together. Its definitely a good stepping stone towards a romance though

Its obvious they became really good friends.
Old 2012-07-05, 00:34   Link #4572
Destined_Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommer View Post
Yes, yes I did. I get the part of him moving on but "madly in love with Hilde"? :/
He has been in love with her since Wing TV and was angry when she was nearly killed while everyone else he was "Eh" when they suppoedly died a number of times. The guy did move in with her for a time, and stayed with her after EW, and entrusted all his secrets to her - even trusting her with the secret Deathscythe Hell and had her help in making it. He even abandoned his happy life with Hilde, later in Wing TVm because he was worried she would get dragged in and used as an incentive to get him to cooperate.

The endings showed him being happy with Hilde and going on dates with her as well. If he wasn't crazy about her he would have dropped her during the time skip, or not have kept moving back in with her when the fighting died down, between Wing TV and EW. After all Hilde was his lover and the only one waiting for him at their home after all the fighting had ended. It's strange that FT would drop that and make hm treat Hilde so badly or turn Hilde into a very angry woman when he used to always show affection towards her and she was always happy around him.
Old 2012-07-05, 01:21   Link #4573
Tendou Souji

Have you ever been in a relationship? Romance dies down over time. Especially with completely different people. Duo didn't show signs of being in love with the girl. Dating someone doesn't mean you are in love with them. You can say he was attracted to her but saying he was in love with her is crazy with very little evidence. They have never kissed or anything. They don't have romantic dialog or moments like Heero and Relena or Zechs and Noin. She was obviously meant to be his love interest but it wasn't shown well. You can't take a scene that could have been days after the end of EW and say that it sets the rest of his life. He could have started having war flashbacks or Maxwell Massacre flashbacks. He could have started drinking to cope with the stress of having no goal in life anymore. He could have been perceiving ordinary people as soldiers and was extremely paranoid.

He could have started gambling because he felt it gave him the same feelings as battle. We don't know and I really don't care. This novel has too many flashbacks already. I'm tired of the past. I'm tired of Katrina. I'm tired of Sabrina. I'm tired of Trieze. I'm tired of 195, 196, 197 and everything to do with AC. I want the MC story. I want plot advancement. It was nice to get back story on the current characters but that was it. I don't want anymore. The worst part is that we could theoretically get at least a half dozen more characters back stories. Milou, Naina, Noin, Zechs, Wufei, Kathy, Hilde, Langreen Zechs and anyone else they want to introduce. It is insane. Can we advance the plot and reveal more of the 20+ suits? I think Frozen Teardrop has introduced more suits than the original Wing and possibly EW combined.

Last edited by Tendou Souji; 2012-07-05 at 11:28.
Old 2012-07-05, 01:47   Link #4574
Black Lion

Quote:
Can we advance the plot and reveal more of the 20+ suits? I think Frozen Teardrop has introduced more suits than the original Wing and possibly EW combined.
SIGNED. It seems like everyone is up in arms about the stories and characters and whatnot not meeting their expectations, but honestly I'm only in it for the mobile suits and the setting, and really hoping this catches on in popularity so I can see more of both. Prometheus looks good enough to make me excited about the rest of the designs we'll hopefully see soon.

Didn't Deacon say there was a scan with pics of the new suits on the side?

Spoiler for Supposed pics?:

I think Tendou's right, this thing really does have more new MS than both the TV show and the movie, unless most of those are OZ recolors or something lame. Katoki has some hard work ahead if he's going to match the coolness of his previous Wing grunt designs

Last edited by Black Lion; 2012-07-05 at 02:06.
Black Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 04:39   Link #4575
Destined_Fate

Quote:
Have you ever been in a relationship? Romance dies down over time. Especially with completely different people. Duo didn't show signs of being in love with the girl. Dating someone doesn't mean you are in love with them. You can say he was attracted to her but saying he was in love with her is crazy with very little evidence. They have never kissed or anything. They don't have romantic dialog or moments like Heero and Relena or Zechs and Noin. She was obviously meant to be his love interest but it wasn't shown well. You can't take a scene that could have been days after the end of EW and say that it sets the rest of his life. He could have started having war flashbacks or Maxwell Massacre flashbacks. He could have started drinking to cope with the stress of having no goal in life anymore. He could have been perceiving ordinary people as soldiers and was extremely paranoid. He could have started gambling because he felt it gave him the same feelings as battle. We don't know and I really don't care. This novel has too many flashbacks already. I'm tired of the past. I'm tired of Katrina. I'm tired of Sabrina. I'm tired of Trieze. I'm tired of 195, 196, 197 and everything to do with AC. I want the MC story. I want plot advancement. It was nice to get back story on the current characters but that was it. I don't want anymore. The worst part is that we could theoretically get at least a half dozen more characters back stories. Milou, Naina, Noin, Zechs, Wufei, Kathy, Hilde, Langreen Zechs and anyone else they want to introduce. It is insane. Can we advance the plot and reveal more of the 20+ suits? I think Frozen Teardrop has introduced more suits than the original Wing and possibly EW combined.
Wall of text.

It doesn't matter if relationships die or not. The thing is we aren't told anything as to why their relationship went sour, just that it did before FT, and why Duo is now a super douche to her even before the present FT timeline. It's just bad writing to make such sudden changes and use the "Time skip" excuse as the reason not to flesh out why big changes like that happened.
Old 2012-07-05, 09:53   Link #4576
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
You know, I just noticed something... I don't think Sumizawa knows what he's doing anymore. I went back and read over my translation of volume 1 and in it he claims that Treize was the one what masterminded "Operation Daybreak" but then we have that being retconned in Glory via Operation Pleiades (by Lady Une).

Huh.
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 10:21   Link #4577
Eeni

Quote:
You know, I just noticed something... I don't think Sumizawa knows what he's doing anymore. I went back and read over my translation of volume 1 and in it he claims that Treize was the one what masterminded "Operation Daybreak" but then we have that being retconned in Glory via Operation Pleiades (by Lady Une).

Huh.
That statement would imply that he had thought this story through... which we have clearly been shown he hasn't.

Old 2012-07-05, 11:46   Link #4578
Tendou Souji

Quote:
Wall of text.

It doesn't matter if relationships die or not. The thing is we aren't told anything as to why their relationship went sour, just that it did before FT, and why Duo is now a super douche to her even before the present FT timeline. It's just bad writing to make such sudden changes and use the "Time skip" excuse as the reason not to flesh out why big changes like that happened.
Did I make it better for you by making 2 paragraphs?

I don't care about why the relationship went sour. I don't. It wasn't sudden changes. It happened over years. Years I don't care about. We've been through this before. You have a bad sense of time. Duo didn't suddenly change. We first see them years after EW when they break up. Then we advance to Duo on Mars and even more time passes. He changes as he grows. You may not like the direction he went in but I'm glad he didn't stay a happy go lucky guy.

Another thing that people need to realize is that the Wing boys weren't this tight best friends forever group. Some of them barely spent time together. Heero was the only one to spend alone time with the other 4. Duo and Trowa were never really alone. Quatre and Wufei were never really alone. Heero spent the most time with Quatre and Trowa. You can call them all "friends" but war comrades suits most of them better. They didn't seem like the type to try and keep in touch except for Quatre. Trowa was happy with his sister. Wufei went with Preventer. Quatre had to run his family's business. Heero did whatever he wanted. Duo was dealing junk it seemed. They were all in completely different places and trying to move on with their lives. I doubt they would have went out of their ways to see other unless it was absolutely needed.
Old 2012-07-05, 11:55   Link #4579
Ferhb

Quote:

Huh.
Just to make it clear, Operation Daybreak is the original one, right? From the show? But ever since then, it was masterminded by Lady Une...

Operation Pleiades was invented by Sumisawa for Glory only...

I think either the thought about it after he wrote that in FT, or he got confused by saying it was Treize who thought about it. Even in the show, I think it was Lady Une...
Ferhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 16:36   Link #4580
Sommer
Hobbit

Quote:
He has been in love with her since Wing TV and was angry when she was nearly killed while everyone else he was "Eh" when they suppoedly died a number of times. The guy did move in with her for a time, and stayed with her after EW, and entrusted all his secrets to her - even trusting her with the secret Deathscythe Hell and had her help in making it. He even abandoned his happy life with Hilde, later in Wing TVm because he was worried she would get dragged in and used as an incentive to get him to cooperate.

The endings showed him being happy with Hilde and going on dates with her as well. If he wasn't crazy about her he would have dropped her during the time skip, or not have kept moving back in with her when the fighting died down, between Wing TV and EW. After all Hilde was his lover and the only one waiting for him at their home after all the fighting had ended. It's strange that FT would drop that and make hm treat Hilde so badly or turn Hilde into a very angry woman when he used to always show affection towards her and she was always happy around him.
I still fail to see their relatationship as romantic and even if they were dating that don´t mean they are gonna marry and have a bajillion of babies, christ, how many people you know that end marring their teenager crush? I never wanted Hilde to marry Duo she is pretty cool, but when she is with him she become bland and passive, I fucking hate that part when he was all "stay in the house and
make me a steak " , what a prick. I´m the only one who dont see Duo as the perfect Gary-stu boyfriend?

Tags
frozen teardrop, glory of the losers, gundam wing