AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On! - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 25 24.75%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 24.75%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 23.76%
7 out of 10 : Good 14 13.86%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 4.95%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 3.96%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.98%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.99%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.99%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-10, 23:28   Link #141
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyxor View Post
ROFL @ hentai

damn this is getting better and better
It's sad that an H-doji managed to make me like her more then anything the show ever did.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2009-06-10, 23:52   Link #142
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

You can stick with that doujin. I'll go with the manga. (1 more day before Chinese translation hits the streets!)
Old 2009-06-11, 00:24   Link #143
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
It's sad that an H-doji managed to make me like her more then anything the show ever did.

My, my, what a substantive way to view a character...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2009-06-11, 00:31   Link #144
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Kyoto Animation has such a loyal and passive fanbase here and in Japan that it still seems no matter what they do, as long as give the otaku what they want then they will always have a "hit". Again that's fine, I just find it hard to rationalize whenever people try to claim to me that their series are masterpieces, original, "genius", superior or whatever, because I just do not see it....
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
That's definitely an old, tired point. Really. Hating on Kyoto Animation because they're popular and you don't "get it" is just so low; it's like a sideswipe at the fans and accusing them of having poor taste (or of being "sheep") just because you happen to not like some studio's work. If there's anything that gets tiresome, it's this. If they consistently produce work that their target audience in Japan loves, that's success to them, even if you happen to think it's overrated generic moe~ crap. If we could at least move past that one after all these years...
Let's see....being contemptuous of others....*tick*

Quote:
When even laid back people like Vexx are struggling to enjoy K-On (and this is a gentleman who adores his 4 girl comedy slice of life from what I've seen and is very loyal to the genre) I have to wonder if there actually hasn't been a bit of a stumble as far as K-On goes. Yes it's a bit of a hit, but not as much as some of us are used to witnessing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
*facepalm* Co-opting other people's personal opinions like this just to support your "it's not so great after all" argument is a bit low, don't you think? Even if some people who might like the genre aren't totally in love with the show, that doesn't make those who do love it somehow less "legitimate". And the sales charts so far don't seem to suggest that it's only "a bit of a hit". It's not all about us, it's about the show. If someone wants to claim this show is a masterpiece -- because, to them, it is -- we might disagree, but what right do we have to tell them they "must be wrong"? "One's trash is another's treasure." There's no wrong way or reason to enjoy anime.
Being interpersonally exploitative....*tick*

Attempting to associate oneself with a perceived authority figure.....*tick*

Eyup. And people wonder why the majority are going "gyafun" nowadays.
Old 2009-06-11, 00:39   Link #145
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
Lesbian town.
And Mugi & I shall say YES!

Honestly guys, don't you guys have anything better to do like claiming Mio/Azunyan or hunting for/drawing yuri pictures, rather than throwing rotten eggs at each other like this?

Peace out (^^)V. Don't get so edgy about stuff like that.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-06-11, 00:41   Link #146
Master Chibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
You can stick with that doujin. I'll go with the manga. (1 more day before Chinese translation hits the streets!)
Have fun with that~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
My, my, what a substantive way to view a character...
Threre's one page in particular that even given the context totally applies to Yui's character.

lol

Old 2009-06-11, 00:41   Link #147
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I just want Kyo Ani to slip in a good groupshot art in the future, with less moe. Heck, turn Mio into a Tall Dark and Bishoujo school girl, while we're at it.
Old 2009-06-11, 01:36   Link #148
Master Chibi

Or they could just not show her head at all and just have a shot of her past the neck and downwards.

That's about the only part of her that matters anyway~

Old 2009-06-11, 01:38   Link #149
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

We can't have group shots without the face, you know?

While we're at it, let the girls have multiple ear piercings. Mugi would provide the bling (and hold Mio down, along with Ritsu). Vivienne Westwood isn't cheap, last I heard. And Sawako, keep your face paint. We don't need it.
Old 2009-06-11, 01:54   Link #150
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Let's see....being contemptuous of others....*tick*

Being interpersonally exploitative....*tick*

Attempting to associate oneself with a perceived authority figure.....*tick*

Eyup. And people wonder why the majority are going "gyafun" nowadays.
Son, if all I cared about was going with an authority figure when it comes to opinion I'd go with myself because at the end of the day it's my own perceptions of something will always define how I view it. Again if Vexx has any issue whatsoever with my agreeing with him on a point and borrowing from his or if if feels exploited in any way then I'm sure it will be his business to let me know and I'd be more than happy to invite it and deal with it on a PM level. As for contemptuous, well there's a lot of that on both sides of the K-On argument anyway and that goes for this very discussion. Innocence is at a premium these days it seems.
Old 2009-06-11, 02:00   Link #151
Karlson
Jumping...is useless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I don't know about K-On! fans. Yes, I want to hear from a fan what is keeping him/her watching the series.
There are a couple reasons for me.

One is my intrigue to see how Kyoani plans to end this series. Will it be an anime original ending or will they end it with the intention of coming back to it later on down the road? This I find a valid question since the manga seems far from its completion if in fact the latest chapter is 25.

I'm also expecting the last couple of episodes to be more music-driven in comparison to the majority of this series. Of course, this could very well come back to bite me in the ass so I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much there

Plus dropping this series now would be silly if I've been watching it up to this point. Its nearing its end (2 or 3 episodes left?) so I may as well at least finish it off. I generally don't drop a series unless its really bad anyway.
Old 2009-06-11, 02:33   Link #152
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't have any problem with someone using something I say in the course of making their point. However, I also see that most of the people in this thread *have* some legitimate points or views but they're really focused on having a fish-slapping fight at the moment.

I don't know that I line up with anyone else's point of view 100%.... mine seems to be off to one side a bit. I have been reviewing the episodes and finally figured out by listening more closely I had made a very poor choice in fansubs so I was underestimating some of the verbal wit quality. Correcting that error tonight and tomorrow -- then I may rewatch the series in a small marathon.

The feel of the series is somewhat like someone took the Beatles, ZONE, random rock references, and moe-comedy and shot them through a food processor. I don't dislike that... but rather like when watching Hyakko. I also spend a fair amount of time with my eyebrows wrinkled and mouth pinched in that "hmmmmmmmmm...." look.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-06-11 at 11:22.
Old 2009-06-11, 02:36   Link #153
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Vexx has the "hmmmmm...." look, while I go for the "huh?" look. No Blank White Eyes, but the triangular mouth is there. Definitely.
Old 2009-06-11, 03:06   Link #154
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
relentless have hit the nail on the head, describing word by word some of my feelings and how I view some things, that is scary. I come less in this section for a lot of reasons, preferring to stick to "ignored" series like Guin Saga less likely to have the same old barks for too long already.
Old 2009-06-11, 07:04   Link #155
Child_of_Sierra

Guin was spared the band wagon effect.

K-On! had massive hype when it begun and a lot of people wanted to see what the fuss was all about. Like any succesfully marketed series it ended up attracting a diverse range of people with different expectations for the show.

Unfortunately. along the way some of those who joined found themselves unimpressed with the show's direction. Problem was they couldn't drop the series (Some people just roll that way I guess). They felt the need to continue to follow the show because of its hype even when they themselves continue to find it going farther and farther away from what they consider to be entertaining.

Since they cannot enjoy the show as well as most they try to be objective on why they continue to ride the wagon. They want to like the show but cannot honestly do so. In order to vent their frustration they would post here listing why the series was failing/being mediocre with more gusto than the average positive one-liner post. Ironically they choose to ignore their objective assessments and end up disappointed every week. (A tiring running gag for this subforum...)

A series like Guin had (un/fortunately) little to no hype so disgruntled watchers find it easier to disengage from watching without posting in the thread.
Old 2009-06-11, 07:32   Link #156
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Except K-On pretty much IS going by the book and following pretty much the same formula that always gets used in what now seems to have become the new definition of slice of life series. Four girls frollicking around and engaging in wacky antics. That is apparently what is defined as slice of life now.
I'll guess you missed my point that what determines what I like in something does not have besides it some list of common cliche critiques like the ones you've mentioned. For me its a different thing, I don't care if they have a lot of the old packaging. You see, I don't really have a problem with this packaging everyone seems to be fingering, it worked for me on other shows and it is just fine for this show as well.
Old 2009-06-11, 08:11   Link #157
k3fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kim View Post
That is an interesting point. I mean in most Western films, usually the character that obtains fortune becomes completely spoiled, irrational, and justifies the stereotype that all rich people are brats. While Japanese anime/television thinks otherwise. A kind, gentle, motherly or fatherly like nature that attends to everyone as if they were equals. Great western movie and novel example of a spoiled rich person: Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.
I guess that's why I find anime fascinating:the characters' appearances are western,but the values are eastern. (if that's the word for it.)
Old 2009-06-11, 08:27   Link #158
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Son, if all I cared about was going with an authority figure when it comes to opinion I'd go with myself because at the end of the day it's my own perceptions of something will always define how I view it.
Uh huh....let's see. Being extremely sensitive to personal criticism....*tick*

Quote:
Again if Vexx has any issue whatsoever with my agreeing with him on a point and borrowing from his or if if feels exploited in any way then I'm sure it will be his business to let me know and I'd be more than happy to invite it and deal with it on a PM level.
Feeling entitled to make use of another party at the latter's expense....*tick*

Quote:
As for contemptuous, well there's a lot of that on both sides of the K-On argument anyway and that goes for this very discussion. Innocence is at a premium these days it seems.
And griping about almost everyone else all the time....*tick*

Old 2009-06-11, 11:27   Link #159
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child_of_Sierra View Post
Guin was spared the band wagon effect.

K-On! had massive hype when it begun and a lot of people wanted to see what the fuss was all about. Like any succesfully marketed series it ended up attracting a diverse range of people with different expectations for the show.

Unfortunately. along the way some of those who joined found themselves unimpressed with the show's direction. Problem was they couldn't drop the series (Some people just roll that way I guess). They felt the need to continue to follow the show because of its hype even when they themselves continue to find it going farther and farther away from what they consider to be entertaining.

Since they cannot enjoy the show as well as most they try to be objective on why they continue to ride the wagon. They want to like the show but cannot honestly do so. In order to vent their frustration they would post here listing why the series was failing/being mediocre with more gusto than the average positive one-liner post. Ironically they choose to ignore their objective assessments and end up disappointed every week. (A tiring running gag for this subforum...)

A series like Guin had (un/fortunately) little to no hype so disgruntled watchers find it easier to disengage from watching without posting in the thread.
Interesting way to roll everyone who is scratching their head in some way about the series into one tidy bag to diss

Then there are those of us who weren't "swept up by the hype" but treat it as any other entry of a 4-koma adaptation of "girls having fun and being funny". In my case, I had no expectations to begin with, so the series is having to work to earn any stature. Its doing "okay"... but, somewhat like Hyakko, I'm having to chew on it longer.
Old 2009-06-11, 11:35   Link #160
relentlessflame

*Administrator

For my part, I'll play "let's all just get along" for now. Vexx is right -- I have my opinions, but this was more about venting my frustration at the way these discussion threads have been going for the last year. I mean, there's a reason I've been avoiding series sub-forums, but it shouldn't have to be this way. But, I can't resist one more thing:

Quote:
Son, if all I cared about was going with an authority figure when it comes to opinion I'd go with myself
Awesome.
Closed Thread