AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-05, 17:43   Link #1301
Dreyakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
Another question or 2

From chapter 4

I dont fully understand the meaning. Is she meaning she only found out she had a brother 3 years ago ? Or that she only fell in love with him 3 years ago. I think its the later, but I dont fully understand the meaning shes getting at.

Also for Mayumi, if I understand the conversation correctly at the end of chapter 3. Shes just a saddist who loves to tease people? who stand out. Thus Tatsuya turning out to be someone she cant control and can see right through her.
I, as the same as Leo/Erikia/Mizuki mentioned later on, also had the impression when Tatsuya first met before the entrance ceromony, it was set up and planned. Ever since I had been trying to work out her motive. Because it was clearly stated, that he didn't stand out to people (unlike his beautiful sister), and he also has the narrow glaring eyes type that makes people uneasy. Not a bishie if you know what I mean.

So with this... Part of her motive is uncovered? Because he stood out with the *paper* tests? The part where she was trying to enlist his sister is explained by the 1st year tradition. That cleared alot of other suspicion I had.
Regarding your first question, you're technically not supposed to know yet. In the timeline of Chapter 4, all of Miyuki and Tatsuya's past is supposed to be a mystery. To shed some light without giving away too much, consider this scenario: Imagine you had a somewhat aloof cousin that your mother always told you was a loner, so you grew up with minimal interaction with him and you didn't understand/care about him much. Then, all of a sudden, a major crisis occurs and suddenly you get to know the real person behind the mask. So yes, she knew about him as a person more than 3 years ago, but she really came to see him as a brother starting from 3 years ago.

Second question. Mayumi isn't a sadist. By definition, a sadist is someone who derives enjoyment from the suffering of others, and Mayumi definitely isn't that. What makes Mayumi (and to a lesser extent Mari) tick is that they enjoy watching other people react/squirm to what they do. An example of this is in Chapter 5, where we are formally introduced to the VP Hanzou for the first time. He loathes being referred to by his name, preferring his family name. Yet Mayumi does it anyways, just to get a reaction out of him. She's more a tease than a sadist. Part of what makes Tatsuya frustrate and intrigue Mayumi and Mari is that he's, well, genre savvy. For certain reasons, he doesn't step in most pitfalls or word traps that are baited for him. (The ones he does end up stepping in turn into pure comedy gold.)

And yes, the meeting between Mayumi and Tatsuya before the ceremony was deliberate on Mayumi's part. The test scores were only an introduction, one of the many red flags that Tatsuya is no normal Course 2 student. The jury is still out on whether or not the two of them were acquainted as children (my gut says yes, but there's no actual confirmation in the text), but there's a distinct feeling that Mayumi knows Tatsuya from somewhere else.
Old 2012-10-05, 20:19   Link #1302
blackwhite67
Banned

@Dreyakis: I saw the update on your progress on MKnR V3C1. Very impressive. Won't you consider posting what you already have now?
Old 2012-10-05, 21:18   Link #1303
HasNoLove
GiveMeMoreLove

quick question...
when tatsuya ask mayumi if he ever met her before was at certain 10 families party..?? something like when tats und miyuki met their twin causin...
or something like opening party of FLT's(if only tat company was founded roughly 3 years ago) ..??
Old 2012-10-06, 02:54   Link #1304
AlaAlba

^ no, Tatsuya asked her that because she acts differently toward him (while as for other people she acts all nice), she's showing her true self to Tatsuya.

Mayumi acts all natural to Tatsuya even though they're just met not so long ago. so he thought maybe she already know him before, hence the question.

(Mayumi shows her true color only to people she regard highly enough, she considers Tatsuya are one of them)
Old 2012-10-06, 08:27   Link #1305
EnigmaticAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreyakis View Post
Regarding your first question, you're technically not supposed to know yet. In the timeline of Chapter 4, all of Miyuki and Tatsuya's past is supposed to be a mystery. To shed some light without giving away too much, consider this scenario: Imagine you had a somewhat aloof cousin that your mother always told you was a loner, so you grew up with minimal interaction with him and you didn't understand/care about him much. Then, all of a sudden, a major crisis occurs and suddenly you get to know the real person behind the mask. So yes, she knew about him as a person more than 3 years ago, but she really came to see him as a brother starting from 3 years ago.

Second question. Mayumi isn't a sadist. By definition, a sadist is someone who derives enjoyment from the suffering of others, and Mayumi definitely isn't that. What makes Mayumi (and to a lesser extent Mari) tick is that they enjoy watching other people react/squirm to what they do. An example of this is in Chapter 5, where we are formally introduced to the VP Hanzou for the first time. He loathes being referred to by his name, preferring his family name. Yet Mayumi does it anyways, just to get a reaction out of him. She's more a tease than a sadist. Part of what makes Tatsuya frustrate and intrigue Mayumi and Mari is that he's, well, genre savvy. For certain reasons, he doesn't step in most pitfalls or word traps that are baited for him. (The ones he does end up stepping in turn into pure comedy gold.)

And yes, the meeting between Mayumi and Tatsuya before the ceremony was deliberate on Mayumi's part. The test scores were only an introduction, one of the many red flags that Tatsuya is no normal Course 2 student. The jury is still out on whether or not the two of them were acquainted as children (my gut says yes, but there's no actual confirmation in the text), but there's a distinct feeling that Mayumi knows Tatsuya from somewhere else.
I'm not so sure the meeting was deliberate. She may have been acting as the Council President and was helping a first year so he wouldn't be late to the entrance ceremony. She supposedly (according to the conversation they had at the time) know he was Shiba Tatsuya, given her surprise when she heard his name, though it's difficult to say for sure with how she acts. Then again, I can somewhat see where you're coming from, since Tatsuya feels uneasy talking to her at the time for an unknown reason. Also, I think the feeling that Mayumi and Tatsuya know each other come from how familiarly she initially acts with him, though the reason for that is unknown. She admits later she has never met him, and he does not recall ever meeting her, and given his memory, I doubt he's wrong on that. Dunno, maybe I missed something
Old 2012-10-06, 09:15   Link #1306
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

I hope someone can answer this here. Are the new light novels following the web novels? If so are they adding information and content? About how far into the web novels are the light novels... and lastly thank you for translating reading them in english is definately the best for me
Old 2012-10-06, 11:07   Link #1307
Dreyakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
@Dreyakis: I saw the update on your progress on MKnR V3C1. Very impressive. Won't you consider posting what you already have now?
Generally, I don't post my first draft for translations piecemeal. The reason behind this is because I generally proofread and verify my own wording before submitting the material to BT. I know that there are editors who can do this for me, but I prefer to fix what errors I can catch myself before letting the general public at it. This way, if I can think of a better way to translate something 20-30 pages back, I can do it quickly and easily.
Old 2012-10-06, 20:20   Link #1308
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

Quote:
Generally, I don't post my first draft for translations piecemeal. The reason behind this is because I generally proofread and verify my own wording before submitting the material to BT. I know that there are editors who can do this for me, but I prefer to fix what errors I can catch myself before letting the general public at it. This way, if I can think of a better way to translate something 20-30 pages back, I can do it quickly and easily.
Sounds like a good way of doing things. Makes alot of the back and forth unnecessary and saves time in the end. Well that's just my take on it, thanks for translating.
Old 2012-10-08, 16:49   Link #1309
blackwhite67
Banned

Can anyone tell me if Tatsuya's squad members know about his emotions being erased except for his sisterly love?
Old 2012-10-09, 20:41   Link #1310
EnigmaticAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPanda View Post
I hope someone can answer this here. Are the new light novels following the web novels? If so are they adding information and content? About how far into the web novels are the light novels... and lastly thank you for translating reading them in english is definately the best for me
They follow the web novel, but they're edited to make things easier to understand (I guess. More or less detail, depending on the situation). If you can read the LN, then read it, don't bother with the web novel if you don't have to.

Quote:
That's a good idea. Personally, I think it would cut back on people harassing you and asking you if you're continuing. "Oh my, a whole day without a translation, that must mean the translator has moved on to something else."

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if Tatsuya's squad members know about his emotions being erased except for his sisterly love?
I am unsure they do. I don't really see why they would, though I guess they might have a general idea, since he can act completely rationally at all times.
Old 2012-10-10, 04:04   Link #1311
chancs

Quote:
Don't think that to be the case Or they might be entirely not sure...showing strong emotions towards his sister and being emotionless with others
Old 2012-10-10, 14:39   Link #1312
Dreyakis

Chapter 3 Volume 1 has been released. Expect many, many edits.
Old 2012-10-10, 14:46   Link #1313
EnigmaticAxiom

Quote:
Congratulations on the chapter, and thanks for the good work. 100 pages is beastly. I'll say this in advance, though it will be a bit before you reach there, but good luck on chapter 4. That one is 124-ish pages? You should take your time with 2 and 3 since 4 is so long.
Old 2012-10-10, 14:48   Link #1314
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Thanks for all the hard work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaticAxiom View Post
Congratulations on the chapter, and thanks for the good work. 100 pages is beastly. I'll say this in advance, though it will be a bit before you reach there, but good luck on chapter 4. That one is 124-ish pages? You should take your time with 2 and 3 since 4 is so long.
Just asking, is Mahouka on the level of Horizon in terms of thickness?
Old 2012-10-10, 15:53   Link #1315
Ghanw
(-_-)

Thank you for the translations, we should understand a high level japanese with 100pages of texts are being translated i really do think they deserve a around of appluase.
Old 2012-10-10, 16:23   Link #1316
Seitsuki
Onee!

Horizon is.. not even really what you can call a LN anymore.
Old 2012-10-10, 17:05   Link #1317
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Woo! Thank you so very much! Just read through it, "Nine Schools Competition" baby! We're getting into the meat of the story now folks! Nine Arts Dr-.. Er, Competition.. Er..

Go Dreyakis!
Old 2012-10-10, 17:29   Link #1318
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Quote:
*cheers*

Many thanks for your work.
Old 2012-10-10, 17:32   Link #1319
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
You, sir, are a hero. Thank you
Old 2012-10-10, 20:25   Link #1320
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
Thanks for all the hard work!

Just asking, is Mahouka on the level of Horizon in terms of thickness?
In term of thickness, 1 volume of mahouka is not that different from your average ln, although 1 arc usually take around 2 volumes. Horizon is just too abnormal. 1 volume of horizon is 3 times thicker than your average ln, and each arc in horizon took 2-3 such volumes.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, fantasy, harem, incest, mahouka, rettousei, school life, shounen, siblings