AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-08-31, 12:28   Link #61
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

More than anything, this just makes me sad - it's pathetic that there are people in this day and age who consider this kind of thing funny, and suitable for a "prank". This is basically a middle school bullying incident with all the requisite ugliness and bile, played out in front of a worldwide audience. The real victim here is Ichiki-san, who endured this kind of humiliation not because of anything he'd done, but for the pathetic amusement of others.

Now that said, I think a couple of conclusions seem reasonable. First, why would you argue for a boycott of the author and illustrator of the LN - who had nothing to do with this? Or Kitamura Eri, simply for being a favorite of Yamanaka? That reaction says as much about the dysfunction of the fan community as the prank itself does about the people who perpetrated it. And second, KC was very unlikely to get a second season irrespective of this - pre-orders weren't looking good and while surprises do happen, it's very unlikely the numbers were far enough off to make a difference. We were always going to get one season (+ the BD extras) and that was going to be it. Don't blame the lack of a sequel on this ugliness.

This won't impact my view of the show itself on way or the other - I look at it as a separate incident. But damn, what a needless waste of energy that everyone is focused on something that needn't have ever happened but for the petty cruelty of people with too much time on their hands.
Old 2012-08-31, 12:40   Link #62
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Takuma Terashima said that “It was fun seeing a human being break like that”, while Hisako Kanemoto laughed at Ichiki san for not having a role in the anime, and about how he still accepted the promotional manager post in the end, as he doesn’t have a choice. She mocked him, saying something like “Didn’t you want to do this though?(the role) You seemed so enthusiastic about it!”
Images
my face
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Why would anyone say something that malicious? Goddammit, I hate Japan so much.
Old 2012-08-31, 12:49   Link #63
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudolicious View Post
Who doesn't enjoy some schadenfreude once in a while, it was a silly prank, no need to get upset. I could've slightly understand if it was a popular seiyu with a strong fan base
For me to enjoy a prank it either needs to have a happy ending ( like this ) or be pulled on someone who can take it.
I would have found the prank a lot funnier if it was pulled on a star seiyuu,first because it would take some actual guts to pull it (while taking a no name doesn't) and because even if the star doesn't get the role he still would have a career.
Old 2012-08-31, 12:53   Link #64
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
No argument here, but why would this offend us/the Japanese audience? We actually could have a good laugh about this as well and move on. I get that the Japanese are especially very sensitive about all sorts of things, but again, how does this negatively effect any of us? That's why I mentioned hidden advertising as one example, I could understand people being annoyed by stuff like the kamogawa incident, but this is something completely different.
I really can't comprehend your point of view at all: how is that a good laugh? I could have understand if they basically made a very obvious setup up, and just pulling a "you have been had!" right after the audition and talking about other stuff.
That said, the context is entirely different: he was given a prospect of a true job, and was dragged for months into expectations that lead to a public humiliation, painting him as a laughing stock.

I don't get why the seiyuu being popular or not have anything to do with the tasteless aspect of this affair: being unknown in a given industry doesn't warrant being trampled this way: that's like justifying any artist to be dragged in the dirt, because they didn't sell enough at that "given time". What say if other seiyuu got the same treatement years ago, and the same situation arise later... how does it make "less legit" if it is done after their fame? it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
Quote:
"made fun of him"? They laughed and made a few sassy comments on the show, I wouldn't take this completely serious and don't think they meant any harm by it.
You really didn't get the comment, did you? Terashima and Kanemoto were making fun of him, ridiculing his expectations and even relish on his misfortune. If "it was fun seeing a human being break like that" isn't ridiculing him and being tasteless, I really wonder what's your definition of that.
The radio didn't make this any better, since they had no sense of remorse, and just went ahead with the "how funny it was" knowing full well how humiliating it was.
Quote:
I still agree that it was completely uncalled for and tasteless, but seriously, are all of you and the jap audience saints? Who doesn't enjoy some schadenfreude once in a while, it was a silly prank, no need to get upset. I could've slightly understand if it was a popular seiyu with a strong fan base or if it would affect the show negatively... But well, as I said the audience is probably just a bit over sensitive
You don't need to be a saint to be outraged by that.
There is a stark difference between a simple prank usual to silly TV broadcast, and a stunt of this genre. Even with Japanese having countless of this kind of sassy stuff, this one generated a huge backlash for good reason. You really have to consider the context, instead of taking the "prank" at face value.

Especially that it wouldn't ternish the career or reputation of a popular VA, since unless they do jack like Hirano, they have jobs ahead of them. For instance, if anyone else than Sakurai involved with that plagiarism scandal would be dead meat by now. it is due to Sakurai popularity and fanbase along with his performances that could mitigate the backlash of that affair.
A "no name" like Ichiki would be a complete different matter: he will be labeled as a guillible seiyuu, who was bad enough to be pulled a prank on. Even if people knows he is the innocent victim, he will have to drag this for a LONG period.
Old 2012-08-31, 12:53   Link #65
sudolicious
Otoshi-gami in training

I doubt the accuracy of the translation, but I can't say for sure yet because I'm currently not able to listen to the show for myself. I wouldn't take translations from some blog for totally authentic to begin with though.

Also I think you're overestimating the whole "losing face" thing, teh_pings post especially gave me a good chuckle. You're making it out like he's completely finished and could just as wel commit sudoku

Yes, they pulled a prank on a human being and once again, I of course don't think this was necessary or especially funny. But instead of being a hypocrite and acting like I would give a shit about his personal life or his career - which none of us does - I'm simply saying that we shouldn't make this a bigger deal than it is.

These holy saint attitude is really starting to annoy me, you're blowing things out of proportion

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-08-31 at 13:28. Reason: Don't talk about rep in your posts.
Old 2012-08-31, 13:01   Link #66
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
The whole "losing face" deal is much more important in Asian societies. As for "why caring", I'll answer, what's wrong with putting ourselves in his shoes and feel for him? I think even the more morally bankrupt anons and 2channers might feel a little sorry. Which may explain the reactions over the whole affair, some being inappropriate and disproportionate (the KitaEri tweeter spam).

EDIT: In TVtropes lingo, this would have been called a Kick the Dog moment as far as those behind the deed are concerned.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-08-31 at 13:26.
Old 2012-08-31, 13:05   Link #67
Xacual

I just felt like putting it out there, don't blame /a/ for the idiots that spammed KitaEri. There's a group that loves making /a/ look bad and it was them that took advantage of some idiots in the thread last night and did the spamming. Honestly the whole situation is stupid as hell though the only reason she was targeted was because apparently the 2ch thread kept mentioning her in connection.

I really wish things like this didn't happen though, it's just absolutely terrible to do to some poor guy hoping for a gig, especially when you find out this isn't the first time they pulled this kind of prank on him too.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2012-08-31, 13:08   Link #68
novalysis

Collateral damage all over the place....

This incident, I think, won't be soon forgotten. It's a shame that the actions of a single producer has possibly ruined Silver Link as a whole, since I thought that this studio was on an upswing before this incident broke out.
Old 2012-08-31, 13:08   Link #69
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I doubt the accuracy of the translation, but I can't say for sure yet because I'm currently not able to listen to the show for myself. I wouldn't take translations from some blog for totally authentic to begin with though.
So, you are doubting the translations before checking them by yourself (assuming you have decent japanese knowledge, that is)? Sorry, but some obvious statements can't be mistaken, and I doubt Ichiki's "許せないよ" was thoughtless after all of this.
Quote:
Yes, they pulled a prank on a human being and once again, I of course don't think this was necessary or especially funny. But instead of being a hypocrite and acting like I would give a shit about his personal life or his career - which none of us does - I'm simply saying that we shouldn't make this a bigger deal than it is.
Hypocrite? it seems you can't believe people would be pissed off by that, as if they actually "don't care". Don't project your own view of that affair on other people, who might be a bit more empathic than you are. Frankly, I have no idea how Ichiki is feeling, and I'm in no position to determine that. What outrages me the most is how the one(s) behind this mess didn't even bother to apology and drag this thing to public, as if it was "really" funny or not tasteless enough to be hidden. I'm sure I'm not the only one, although it is definitely not the only way to see this whole mess. So thinking people are all hypocrite and making it more than it is is just a displaced remark.
Old 2012-08-31, 13:09   Link #70
sudolicious
Otoshi-gami in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
The whole "losing face" deal is much more important in Asian societies. As for "why caring", I'll answer, what's wrong with putting ourselves in his shoes and feel for him? I think even the more morally bankrupt anons and 2channers might feel a little sorry. Which may explain the reactions over the whole affair, some being inappropriate and disproportionate (the KitaEri tweeter spam).
No doubt that losing face in general is a way bigger thing over there than anywhere else, but it's not like he's never going to get another job or his friends would start bullying him or something. Some people here make it out like this was the biggest possible "humiliation" and start spouting about losing his face, when it was just a stupid prank. I'm not saying it won't damage him at all, that's one of the reasons why I stated multiple times that I'm not approving of this as well, but again, he's not gonna be home and jobless and abandoned from society because of this

And of course there's nothing wrong in sympathizing with him, but again, that's no reason to starting blowing things out of proportion

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-08-31 at 13:27.
Old 2012-08-31, 13:09   Link #71
HandofFate

Even if you don't personally know the 'random seiyuu', people are still able to have empathy. Especially if ever actually jobhunted in any kind of career.

Doesn't even have to be this 'high-tier' of a position.

A college student trying to land a good internship involving multiple interviews and submitting portfolios only to find out 3months later at the company that it was all fake and a joke, and then getting laughed at is the same thing.
Old 2012-08-31, 13:10   Link #72
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:

Also I think you're overestimating the whole "losing face" thing, teh_pings post especially gave me a good chuckle. You're making it out like he's completely finished and could just as wel commit sudoku

These holy saint attitude is really starting to annoy me, you're blowing things out of proportion
If you don't see anything wrong with this situation than would you be happy to come to a job interview? I can offer you a very nice pay for very few hours of very simple work. You'll just have to deal with our company's bureaucracy for a couple of months while we work things out. But It's totally legit I promise, there's even this nice bridge I'm willing to give you. /s

You just don't do that kind of thing. It's literally evil, there's no other way to put it! (and yes, I meant to use "literally" there).

PS: how would one go about committing "sudoku"? Do you write numbers on your limbs?

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-08-31 at 13:29.
Old 2012-08-31, 13:15   Link #73
novalysis

I think, in the longer run, whether Silver Link, or indeed the Producers will apologize for this fiasco depends on whether they think this would damage the prospects future productions. Truth is, the longer this goes on, I'd think the more likely that the embargo would go beyond not just Kokoro Connect, but all of Silver Links other works in the pipeline.

It is really, really tragic that a story of the quality of Kokoro Connect would be ever more associated with this incident. More so are the attacks on the LN author and illustrator. What's next? Attacks on his publisher?

Basically, this fiasco will nuke quite alot of people's careers, it seems.
Old 2012-08-31, 13:15   Link #74
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
PS: how would one go about committing "sudoku"? Do you write numbers on your limbs?
4chan joke, intentional misspelling of seppuku of course

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2012-08-31, 13:22   Link #75
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I think, in the longer run, whether Silver Link, or indeed the Producers will apologize for this fiasco depends on whether they think this would damage the prospects future productions. Truth is, the longer this goes on, I'd think the more likely that the embargo would go beyond not just Kokoro Connect, but all of Silver Links other works in the pipeline.

It is really, really tragic that a story of the quality of Kokoro Connect would be ever more associated with this incident. More so are the attacks on the LN author and illustrator. What's next? Attacks on his publisher?

Basically, this fiasco will nuke quite alot of people's careers, it seems.
The bandwagon effect is indeed another problem that will combine itself with the damage already done to the "actual victim". I still don't get why Silver Link commitee doesn't do any single thing, considering the lack of intervention implies a tacit "nod" to this mess, or a claim they aren't responsible for it (which is surprising, considering japanese society model is quite prone to make a company take the whole responsibility of a single employee mistake), so having this dragged for more than a day doesn't bode too well with Japanese.
With that context in mind, There is nothing that would justify or excuse this mess, but at the very least, a simple public announcement would quench a bit people anger, even if they won't buy it at 100%.

At this point, it will just have a snowball effect, and I can't say it will be a nice sight, considering it has already started with Kitamura.
Old 2012-08-31, 13:31   Link #76
kenshinflyer
Super Combat Butler

Quote:
Takuma Terashima said that “It was fun seeing a human being break like that”, while Hisako Kanemoto laughed at Ichiki san for not having a role in the anime, and about how he still accepted the promotional manager post in the end, as he doesn’t have a choice. She mocked him, saying something like “Didn’t you want to do this though?(the role) You seemed so enthusiastic about it!”
Plain horrible. I can see two stunning careers going down the drain...
Old 2012-08-31, 13:37   Link #77
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Terashima is already fairly established (and male, which helps more than you'd think in a situation like this), but Kanemoto... yeah, her career's dead as of now.
Old 2012-08-31, 13:41   Link #78
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Yeah, I totally forgot the part where it sucks more to be a female in Japan.
Old 2012-08-31, 13:53   Link #79
kenshinflyer
Super Combat Butler

In any case SILVER LINK is a great company--they'd better do something to clear this mess (at least) or risk getting axed to infamy.
Old 2012-08-31, 13:53   Link #80
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Really frustrating situation here. I'm sad to hear something like this is involved with one of my favorite shows this season, but I feel even more sorry for that VA who got humiliated in such a way...
Quote:
:/
Closed Thread