AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-09-13, 07:35   Link #23461
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
How many of these idiots even have access to an Internet? Someone told someone told someone....
Didn't Iran block youtube?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-09-13, 07:43   Link #23462
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I know it isn't that simple, but still...I think Japan is going to back down from China because they probably won't step out of line over this, but still, if I was Japan, I wouldn't want to conflict too much with China.
What complicates all of this from the perspective of the United States is our treaty obligations to Japan. The same concerns apply to China's dispute over the Spratlys with the Philippines, another country with which we have a defense treaty.

Most of the naval encounters in the Spratlys have so far involved encounters between Chinese patrol boats and Filipino and Vietnamese fishing boats or oil exploration vessels. Two years ago a Chinese fishing boat was intercepted by the Japanese Coast Guard for operating in Japanese territorial waters around the Senkakus. The arrest of the Chinese captain led to a major diplomatic spat between the two powers. China allegedly stopped shipping rare-earth minerals, an important component for electronics manufacturing, for two months after the incident.
Old 2012-09-13, 07:58   Link #23463
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
it was considered part of the Ryūkyū Kingdom prior to Japan annexing the place.
Considered by whom? The islands are on the continental shell, unlike the Ryukyu islands. It belongs to Taiwan islands group. Just look at the google earth.
Old 2012-09-13, 08:25   Link #23464
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Uh, location of land doesn't dictate who it belongs to, son.

Otherwise, US have to let go of Hawaii.
Old 2012-09-13, 08:27   Link #23465
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Didn't Iran block youtube?
I bet than the Iranian's news services spammed the new all day. They would be more than happy to do so and piss off the US.
Old 2012-09-13, 08:34   Link #23466
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Uh, location of land doesn't dictate who it belongs to, son.

Otherwise, US have to let go of Hawaii.
I am just asking him to provide support for his claim, son. There are numerous historical evidence of its Chinese claim of the island, son, already mentioned by others, son. The geographical evidence is yet another supporting evidence, son.
Old 2012-09-13, 08:53   Link #23467
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Right, that's why they didn't have a beef with not having it for 80 years, until the resource research, right?
Or the fact they turned down the offer to have it after the war, right?

Face it, the PRC didn't give a damn about those pile of rocks until OMG OILZ. CAN I HAZ NOW.
Old 2012-09-13, 08:54   Link #23468
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
They were. Furthermore, as I restate: Chiang gave up the islands along with the Ryukyus in Cairo. PRC might contest it, but they would technically have to challenge the return of the Ryukyu Islands in order to claim Senkaku.
Now you have mentioned it, this looks funnily like the case of transfer of Christmas Island to Australia in 1957 by Singapore on UK's request, for 2.9m pounds. We didn't realise how much shit it would have worth in the future and now it looks stupid to transfer it.

PRC disregarded the Treaty of San Francisco post Chinese Civil War - so why are they ruling that the ToSF's indication was right when they hadn't rescinded the Treaty of Shimonoseki in print with Japan, only merely disregarding it?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-09-13, 08:54   Link #23469
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Sigh, yet another preventable accident...

China lift plunges 30 floors, killing 19
Quote:
Wuhan, China (Sept 13, Thu): A platform lift at a construction site in central China has plunged 30 floors to the ground, killing its 19 passengers, state-run media report.

The accident happened today in the city of Wuhan in Hubei province, says Xinhua news agency.

The lift, which officials say fell 100m (328ft), mostly carried construction workers.

BBC
Old 2012-09-13, 08:57   Link #23470
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Sigh, yet another preventable accident...

China lift plunges 30 floors, killing 19
That is one horrible pun you have got there.

Old 2012-09-13, 09:04   Link #23471
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Right, that's why they didn't have a beef with not having it for 80 years, until the resource research, right?
Or the fact they turned down the offer to have it after the war, right?

Face it, the PRC didn't give a damn about those pile of rocks until OMG OILZ. CAN I HAZ NOW.
Do you even know a bit about modern Chinese history? What was going on during the 50s and 60s for mainland China and Taiwan?

Let me put it this way for you. The Chinese and the Japanese has a score to settle that dates back to the first Sino-Japan war, and there is only one way to settle it.

I have no more time to waste on you and your shitty attitude.
Old 2012-09-13, 09:06   Link #23472
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Do you even know a bit about modern Chinese history? What was going on during the 50s and 60s for mainland China and Taiwan?

Let me put it this way for you. The Chinese and the Japanese has a score to settle that dates back to the first Sino-Japan war, and there is only one way to settle it.

Oh, I'm perfectly aware.
And I'm also aware how the PRC isn't giving Taiwan its justified independence.

China's MINE MINE MINE attitude isn't exactly winning international sympathies, man.

I can undedrstand defending Chinese heritage, but I can't fathom why you keep defending the PRC.
There's very little you could possibly be proud of, and China deserves better.
Old 2012-09-13, 09:10   Link #23473
willx
Nyaaan~~

Oh dear. Let's move on shall we folks? We don't need to bring the territorial dispute to the "News Stories" thread!

So here's a new angle to the Libya story -- 10 Libyan security personnel were also killed trying to defend the U.S. embassy

http://news.ph.msn.com/top-stories/u...storms-embassy
Old 2012-09-13, 09:12   Link #23474
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

To be honest, no one really owns those "islands". They're just uninhabited rocks. The Japanese don't own them, and the Chinese don't own them.

Does the earth give a shit about a piece of paper in some courthouse somewhere?

Next we'll have people arguing over who owns the Moon. "The US was there first!" and all kinds of idiocy.
Old 2012-09-13, 09:15   Link #23475
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
To be honest, no one really owns those "islands". They're just uninhabited rocks. The Japanese don't own them, and the Chinese don't own them.

Does the earth give a shit about a piece of paper in some courthouse somewhere?

Next we'll have people arguing over who owns the Moon. "The US was there first!" and all kinds of idiocy.
Actually, there was a treaty signed by most countries stating that the moon doesn't belong to any one country:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_Treaty
Old 2012-09-13, 09:15   Link #23476
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
I... think you're too late for that.

I remember people claiming SELLING Mars lands.

Humans. Sheesh.

Unfortuantely, as long as there are valuable resorces, humans will fight over it.
Even if it's by a piece of paper stating some silly idea of ownership.

If it was up to me, we'd put all the heads from the world together, fund R&D for nuclear fusion, and say goodbye to that evil black goo we keep killing ourselves over for.
Old 2012-09-13, 09:29   Link #23477
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I... think you're too late for that.

I remember people claiming SELLING Mars lands.

Humans. Sheesh.

Unfortuantely, as long as there are valuable resorces, humans will fight over it.
Even if it's by a piece of paper stating some silly idea of ownership.

If it was up to me, we'd put all the heads from the world together, fund R&D for nuclear fusion, and say goodbye to that evil black goo we keep killing ourselves over for.
Fart gas will take over once black goo is out of the way. Nuclear fusion still has less market standing.

Here is an interesting thing to see though :

The People's Republic is proclaimed in 1949, so by 1953, there is already a legitimate and recognised government. Plus that the news are controlled by the CCP, so why did they publish this?

Old 2012-09-13, 09:52   Link #23478
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Actually, there was a treaty signed by most countries stating that the moon doesn't belong to any one country:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_Treaty
Just wait until people can actually travel there. That treaty will be just another piece of paper.
Old 2012-09-13, 10:05   Link #23479
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Just wait until people can actually travel there. That treaty will be just another piece of paper.
It would be like taking the curved ends out the "s" of "kiss" in this song. Try singing it like that - we should make that the UN anthem when the day comes.

Old 2012-09-13, 11:08   Link #23480
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Considered by whom? The islands are on the continental shell, unlike the Ryukyu islands. It belongs to Taiwan islands group. Just look at the google earth.
1. The concept of the continental shelf was only used recently when considering territorial or geographical issue.
2. They were administered as part of the United States Civil Administration of the Ryukyu Islands.
3. Hardly anyone ever thought of those islands unlike Ryukyu until papers of potential resources came about, when the Okinawa Trough argument was formed.

Basically, the idea that Senkaku belongs specifically to the Taiwan Island group is a modern concept which was formed after resources came into play.

Quote:
I am just asking him to provide support for his claim, son. There are numerous historical evidence of its Chinese claim of the island, son, already mentioned by others, son. The geographical evidence is yet another supporting evidence, son.
Unfortunately I don't consider the noticing of existence to be any sort of historical claim. If there was any administration, then I might, but given the historical neglect of anything off the coast of China Proper, including Taiwan, I give very little consideration for all the "historical evidence".

Quote:

What does what happened in the 50s and 60s for mainland China and Taiwan have anything to do with the supposed score to settle? Are you blaming Chiang's bullheaded idiocy and corruption and Mao's insanity on Japan of all possible reasons?

Furthermore, if Japan and China has a score to settle, then Korea has even a bigger score to settle with China, stretching from the cultural genocide it committed in Manchuria under the crackpot theories of Sun and the deliberate extension of the Korean division. For that matter, what about the score that Vietnam has to settle with the constant oppression China did?

Basically, your line of argument is based on a "shittier" (your original usage) attitude which brushes away all the wrongs China as a whole committed upon its neighbors, while focusing only on what Japan did to China. That kind of biased attitude is no different from the other extreme views that cause grief to people in this world.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international