AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 30 46.15%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 33.85%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 12.31%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 4.62%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.08%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-27, 01:04   Link #41
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm inclined to agree that "Ja ne" is just nebulous enough to be interpreted either way - and that's exactly how the devilish Ms. Okada wants it. In case anyone hasn't noticed, she's been dropping hints about the Ohana/Kou pairing that directly contradict each other - sometimes in the same episode, sometimes in the same scene. She's a very good plot troll. Sure, this could be end, and maybe this really is a subplot, and Ohana saying "So long" was the key moment. Or maybe the key moment was when she admitted, both drunk and sober, that she loved Kou and hated being "dumped" by him. The fundamental conundrum in their relationship is unchanged - she loves him, but doesn't want to live in Tokyo. She loves him, but he's a part of the past she's trying to outgrow. It's possible their relationship might truly be facing a Kobayashi Maru scenario, and the "Ko-Hana" end will lose out to "None of the above". But I wouldn't bet either way at this point.

Actually, I felt this ep was pretty non-committal on the romance front and represented a welcome respite from the wonderful but exhausting intensity of the last two weeks. It gives you the chance to appreciate just how gorgeous the visuals are here, and for me anyway, to realize that I actually like Satsuki. Sure, she's pretty iffy as a mother and sister, has questionable journalistic ethics and smokes like a chimney. But she's also smart, funny and has some pretty good reasons for the bad blood between she and her mother. Not only that, her ideas for running the inn were actually quite smart. And it was she who instigated the wonderful tri-generational talk with her mother and daughter. She's awkward about relating to them, but flawed as she is she does love them both.
Old 2011-06-27, 01:14   Link #42
EroKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Nako was, as always, a yuri magnet. Even Satsuki couldn't resist.
lol dat scene

Next week, Ohana does a "Oh you"

Old 2011-06-27, 01:31   Link #43
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

amazing episode.... such a very deep parental love is showed here
the three generation drinking scene is perfect......
I always believe Satsuki isn't a bad mother... and she proved it in this episode
It's too bad that Ohana decided to forget Ko-Chan... but I believe they will ended up together at the last episode (well, the family scene has showed that Shijima family never give up until rejected five times... lol)
the next episode will be a new beginning for Ohana's life.... and finally the series can focus on Yuina...

Last edited by ~Yami~; 2011-06-27 at 04:29.
Old 2011-06-27, 01:41   Link #44
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

This was a very nice episode. Other than being, as usual, highly produced I liked a lot of the moments between the 3 generations and how each one of them started bonding again.

Still not sure about the attempts to make me like Satsuki. The flashback with the bath scene certainly made me sympathize with her, but it doesn't excuse her behavior. It does show why exactly she ended up turning out the way she did (she was more or less placed as second to the customers, and even showed disdain when her mother greeted her instead of scolding her for her remark) so I guess she's more understandable now.

What else ... Itou Kanae has the voice of honey, and Ohana earns my scorn for injuring the heron's pride in that manner

Another relaxing episode that brightens my day. I will miss the OP though, I really loved it especially the first few seconds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
Nako (that girl's never getting married now )
Rapid imagination much? she was only in that room for a few minutes, not a day I mean Satsuki can't be that fast!

... or is she? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
An example being the whole Ohana scene where she thought she was drunk. It didn't amuse me as the director intended. A moment of failed comedy to me.
I didn't think there was anything wrong with the execution itself, but I didn't exactly think it was a directorial problem. If anything, that scene with Ohana playing(?) drunk seemed another case of LOLOkada to me. If there is anything that seems overly comedic or over the top, it would usually be her doing

Not that I minded it much (other than her getting drunk on soda. What, not root Bear at least?) and I liked the faces she made thought that it fit with the way Ohana usually spills out her guts about anything, so it was something of being in character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Also apparently, in terms of who is winning the shipping war... Ohana X Kissuiso it is!
*brofist*

Damn right, Harem End here we come!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
Ohana is now officially the Belldandy of this show
Not until people start trying to kill her!
Old 2011-06-27, 03:17   Link #45
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Pretty good way to end the first cour, though the second cour seems to start with a pointless swimsuit episode.

Really liked Okami's dream and the part where her son (oh, how abuse towards males can be forgiven while female abuse can't, oh this wonderful world) mentions how light she is. Pretty sad...
Just how bad can her daughter get though... Not only a terrible mother, but she was really nasty since she was young. Though the guy is at fault for being a punching bad though.

I have a good feeling Kou-chan will be back. Though to be honest, the daily life in this anime is done far better than whatever romance has been done so far, so I'm not expecting anything good even if he does come back...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2011-06-27, 03:25   Link #46
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Yes that's how she sees her life for now and presumably for a good chunk of the future. My point being that she probably intends to address the more immediate, pressing issues she needs to do there for herself and the inn before she tackles the other issues of her personal life. As it stands, to me I think Kissuiso stands as the more concrete and solid aspect of her lfie where she is going to be rooted. Strengthen the roots first, then you can deal with the branches (i.g. Ko).
I'm just still a little bit confused at what exactly all this entails.

What are the immediate pressing issues going on at the inn that Ohana needs to deal with? And why won't they be issues in the future, allowing her to deal with her personal issues with Ko? And what time frame are we talking about here?
Old 2011-06-27, 03:41   Link #47
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
I'm just still a little bit confused at what exactly all this entails.

What are the immediate pressing issues going on at the inn that Ohana needs to deal with? And why won't they be issues in the future, allowing her to deal with her personal issues with Ko? And what time frame are we talking about here?
Consider it this way: Whenever Ohana sees a perceived threat to Kissuiso, she acts to correct it or find some other way to fix the situation despite poor planning and impulsiveness on her part. On the other hand when dealing with Ko, she finds extreme difficult not only in dealing with his feelings but her own as well. For someone she's been with almost all her life she can barely find the words to even communicate with him now, yet she finds easy adjustment to a situation she just got dropped on barely half a year ago.

The issue of immediacy to me stems from the fact that she is more adequately prepared, for whatever reason, to deal with the more physical and tangible challenges facing Kissuiso (the LARPers, the magazine reviewers, her mother, etc.) than the more abstract and more emotional issues she herself and herself alone faces when dealing with Ko. The matters of the mind for her are easier to deal with than matters of the heart, thus she deals with them first than with the others.

And because I'm lazy/tired I'm putting these comments of mine on my blog too.
Old 2011-06-27, 07:32   Link #48
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Consider it this way: Whenever Ohana sees a perceived threat to Kissuiso, she acts to correct it or find some other way to fix the situation despite poor planning and impulsiveness on her part. On the other hand when dealing with Ko, she finds extreme difficult not only in dealing with his feelings but her own as well. For someone she's been with almost all her life she can barely find the words to even communicate with him now, yet she finds easy adjustment to a situation she just got dropped on barely half a year ago.

The issue of immediacy to me stems from the fact that she is more adequately prepared, for whatever reason, to deal with the more physical and tangible challenges facing Kissuiso (the LARPers, the magazine reviewers, her mother, etc.) than the more abstract and more emotional issues she herself and herself alone faces when dealing with Ko. The matters of the mind for her are easier to deal with than matters of the heart, thus she deals with them first than with the others.

And because I'm lazy/tired I'm putting these comments of mine on my blog too.
Not exactly the impression I got at all. It REALLY doesn't seem like Ohana is taking up the inn as some kind of evasion tactic because she doesn't quite realize at this point how she would deal with Kou. You can tell by the end of the first episode that working at the inn and trying to interact with the people there while initially something she was VERY frustrated trying to do, it was something that challenged and gave her drive that she hadn't experianced before.

So no. It doesn't really seem like Ohana is mentally planning to hold off on Ko for ever longer while she works at the inn. She seems to have decided she was horrible for making Ko wait like that, so she seems to be attempting to move on.
Old 2011-06-27, 07:50   Link #49
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Not exactly the impression I got at all. It REALLY doesn't seem like Ohana is taking up the inn as some kind of evasion tactic because she doesn't quite realize at this point how she would deal with Kou. You can tell by the end of the first episode that working at the inn and trying to interact with the people there while initially something she was VERY frustrated trying to do, it was something that challenged and gave her drive that she hadn't experianced before.

So no. It doesn't really seem like Ohana is mentally planning to hold off on Ko for ever longer while she works at the inn. She seems to have decided she was horrible for making Ko wait like that, so she seems to be attempting to move on.
I'm not saying that it's her evasive maneuvers to not deal with the situation. Maybe before when she first started, but her declaration at the end shows that she's not doing it to escape from her reality in Tokyo but because she made a choice. She's no longer evading Ko because she's no longer using Kissuiso as an excuse not to deal with the aforementioned situation. As she says so herself, this is her home now, and she will live her life here as best she can and do what she can for the inn. For all intents and purposes this is her first straight declaration that she chooses one way of life over another. She chooses to deal with the situation of her new home and leave her old life either behind her, perhaps not permanently.

Frankly I've always believed "ja ne" to be the casual "see you tomorrow" in English or the "ingat ka" in Filipino. It doesn't declare the permanency of your parting.

The fact of the matter remains is that even now she's still somewhat leading him on a leash because she has yet to put any sort of closure for either of them. Ko cannot completely move on until she clarifies everything. I want to believe she's not as loose as to just abandon it all, because she damn well knows she hasn't tried any sort of resolution for it. To stop here would be completely irresponsible. I don't believe her to be the type to just leave it all behind, with no proper partings or proper closure. In fact, simply moving on for herself now without resolving those issues suggests she's just abandoning her life in Tokyo, and by that I mean Ko, and that she doesn't care about the life she wants to leave. That would greatly reduce my opinion of her.

If she wants to move on with her life here in Kissuiso, she has a ton of things to tie up in Tokyo. She has a lot of loose ends to tie up with Ko. Denying him an answer that would put clarity for her own heart as well as his would be detrimental to this.
Old 2011-06-27, 10:27   Link #50
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Great episode, probably my favorite thus far. We got to see Madam Manager loosen up a bit and having all 3 generations of women in the same room was nice, I just wish they had discussed more.
Old 2011-06-27, 11:01   Link #51
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Family Ties

For the first time in this show, we see three generations of Kissuiso women conversing not so much as staff and guest, but almost like a very typical family. There is a lot of friction between the older two generations, something that seems to have been somewhat tempered by time. It’s clear that these two never really saw eye to eye on a lot of things but it doesn’t mean of course that they can’t be civil. Satsuki’s free wheeling lifestyle obviously clashes with her mother’s strict and disciplined personality, but family is family, and in the end both manage to tolerate each other. What becomes rather abundantly clear is that for all her irresponsibilities and looseness, Satsuki isn’t as bad as many have seen her to be. Perhaps my previous statements that the apple can fall from the tree may be a tad premature: as the rest of the staff observe, the three of them are very similar in more ways than one. To see them talk even for one night really exemplifies that despite personal differences and some grudges, families will always be there whether you like them to or not.

Satsuki now has a different opinion of the inn, even if her view of her family hasn’t. It is perhaps that stubborn familiarity is what keeps families… well familial. This is, and will always be, the mother she had always had and had always hated, and she wouldn’t trade her for any other mother in the world.
Old 2011-06-27, 11:47   Link #52
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
The fact of the matter remains is that even now she's still somewhat leading him on a leash because she has yet to put any sort of closure for either of them. Ko cannot completely move on until she clarifies everything. I want to believe she's not as loose as to just abandon it all, because she damn well knows she hasn't tried any sort of resolution for it. To stop here would be completely irresponsible.
What, you mean Kou can't hear her when she yells at him from the shrine 300 miles away?
Old 2011-06-27, 12:05   Link #53
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

character interactions are full of win. especially when they're done this well. and this marks the half way point! this is one of a few series that i'm still watching at this point.

also, drunk Ohana is amazing. though its a shame that it seems like she closed the chapter on Ko. at least for the time being. i expect him to come back some time. also, new songs next week?

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2011-06-27, 12:30   Link #54
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
After giving it some thought, my view on Ko/Ohana is a fair bit different than most, and is similar to Guardian Enzo's.

One thing that I find striking is just how much Ohana's psyche is caught up with Ko. In other words, how much time and thought she gives to him, and how reflexively her thoughts go back to him.

From Episodes 8 through 13, Ko has been a very frequent part of Ohana's dreams, words, thoughts, and inner monologues. There can be no doubt that Ko is at least a very important person to Ohana.

That's not to say that Ohana will end up with Ko romantically, but I also wouldn't rule it out entirely. We're about halfway into this anime now, and the only guy that Ohana has given serious relationship thought to is Ko.

With apologies to Tooru/Ohana shippers, I'm actually more skeptical of it now than I was a few episodes ago.

Okada has only lightly teased at Tooru/Ohana, playing it off as a primarily one-sided attraction that I think is meant to spark shipper imaginations and create drama moreso than necessarily lead somewhere concrete.

If Tooru/Ohana is to have any real chance, I think we need to see some real sense of Ohana being attracted to Tooru within the next two or three episodes.

It is true that Ohana's relationship with Tooru has improved considerably, but is that important in and of itself, or is it simply a small part of the larger picture of Ohana gradually growing closer to all of her new friends at the Inn? For example, Ohana's relationship with Minko has improved a lot too, but I don't see many people shipping Ohana/Minko as a yuri pair. And that's in spite of a certain sparkling subtext in Episode 3, lol.

All of the above being said, I do think that the new OP and ED may be telling. If Ko is not in the new OP, then that pretty much seals it, even I'll admit. Generally speaking, if a character from one OP doesn't show up in the next OP, it means that character is either dead or never coming back onscreen (beyond a short cameo appearance perhaps).

But then the opposite is true as well. If Ko is in the next OP, then that's a sure sign we will see more of him.
Old 2011-06-27, 13:18   Link #55
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
After giving it some thought, my view on Ko/Ohana is a fair bit different than most, and is similar to Guardian Enzo's.
RRR, you've got the very important element of starting your post with a compelling statement down. But you need to get you some Hiromi in your avatar.
Old 2011-06-27, 14:20   Link #56
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Family Ties

For the first time in this show, we see three generations of Kissuiso women conversing not so much as staff and guest, but almost like a very typical family. There is a lot of friction between the older two generations, something that seems to have been somewhat tempered by time. It’s clear that these two never really saw eye to eye on a lot of things but it doesn’t mean of course that they can’t be civil. Satsuki’s free wheeling lifestyle obviously clashes with her mother’s strict and disciplined personality, but family is family, and in the end both manage to tolerate each other. What becomes rather abundantly clear is that for all her irresponsibilities and looseness, Satsuki isn’t as bad as many have seen her to be. Perhaps my previous statements that the apple can fall from the tree may be a tad premature: as the rest of the staff observe, the three of them are very similar in more ways than one. To see them talk even for one night really exemplifies that despite personal differences and some grudges, families will always be there whether you like them to or not.

Satsuki now has a different opinion of the inn, even if her view of her family hasn’t. It is perhaps that stubborn familiarity is what keeps families… well familial. This is, and will always be, the mother she had always had and had always hated, and she wouldn’t trade her for any other mother in the world.
Family... Yeah. I think Ohana and Satsuki had the same problem with their respective mothers: that they were more "women" than mothers. Even Satsuki must have needed a mom at some points, but all she got was a boss. It's the same for Enishi (heck, the poor guy seems to still need a mommy), but he's more resigned to it. Looks like Satsuki would rather stay away from a woman who won't be her mother... Well, now that she's her own woman, the problem isn't as weighty as it was. But it could be seen in the way she baited the manager when she arrived, daring her to react like a mother to her wayward daughter, rather than as a proprietress to a guest. (Or maybe Satsuki's like that to everyone. Can't be ruled out.)

I wonder if there isn't a bit of that in Ohana's motivation not to come back?
Old 2011-06-27, 14:22   Link #57
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
All of the above being said, I do think that the new OP and ED may be telling. If Ko is not in the new OP, then that pretty much seals it, even I'll admit. Generally speaking, if a character from one OP doesn't show up in the next OP, it means that character is either dead or never coming back onscreen (beyond a short cameo appearance perhaps).

But then the opposite is true as well. If Ko is in the next OP, then that's a sure sign we will see more of him.
Well, I'm not sure about that. After all, OPs are frequently trolls, and may lead to TWEESTS where Ko will come out of nowhere leading to an excited audience (well he needs to revamp that image). It's also why many shows don't even show OPs for the first episode to reduce spoiler possibilities.

But one thing's for sure, the show needs to push either or both as viable targets for the great Ohana herself. Currently, Ko lacks charisma and Jun-lite has nothing to show besides being somewhat attracted to Ohana which doesn't imply romance strongly enough. Well I guess he has a motorcycle... eh.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-06-27, 18:13   Link #58
yodaz

Its been thrown at us from every angle possible that Ohana has and has had feelings for Ko that she just hasn't been able to express or bring to fruition. As much as the relationship between Ohana and Tohru has changed, its never been anything more than an unrequited interest in Tohru's part. While the anime is clearly going in a direction where Tohru makes a pass at Ohana, it also seems clear that Ohana is going to settle on Ko, but its going to take a long time to get there. I don't think he's quite as out of the picture as this episode seems to hint at and will continue to be a driving force in Ohana's actions.
Old 2011-06-27, 18:58   Link #59
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
RRR, you've got the very important element of starting your post with a compelling statement down. But you need to get you some Hiromi in your avatar.
lol!

Thanks. Well, at least Hiromi is in my sig.
Old 2011-06-27, 20:55   Link #60
Grey

Oh lolz. So in the end Kou and Ohana both liked each other.

Silly Ohana. Kou probably would have been fine with a long distance relationship.

Now I want to see the two of them in some 5 cm/s type scenes later on. Muahahaha.

Edit: The family scenes were pretty awesome. I feel a bit badly for the little brother though, heh.
Closed Thread