Old 2013-05-12, 22:35   Link #1
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Rise of the Triad (2013)

oh my.

I need this in my life.

I haven't had a good lightning-fast twitch shooter since UT. No "progression" crap, no unlockables, no grinding, no classes, no headshots or leaning around corners, just good old-fashioned ludicrous gibs.

Discuss.
Old 2013-05-13, 03:03   Link #2
Edge Meltdown
AxS HxM TxA RxS JxK HxM

Nice! I remember playing the old version when I was young. It's good to see Apogee is back

"Nothing is true, Everything is Permitted" - Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad
Edge Meltdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 03:13   Link #3
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

It's not all of Apogee, since a lot of them are still with what's left of 3DRealms, but these guys appear to be at least some of the original ROTT95 devs.
Old 2013-05-13, 03:16   Link #4
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Obligatory "THEY'LL BURY YOU IN A LUNCH BOX!!!"
Old 2013-05-13, 07:38   Link #5
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

One of the better doom clone back in the days along with Hexen and Heretic. Interesting to see how they are going to sell this though with the old fps style gameplay in today's market.
Old 2013-05-13, 09:08   Link #6
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

When I played I always thought it half tried to be a serious game, than gave up completely and made a 3D version of Commander Keen with the hopper platform jumping.

It was not a blockbuster in the 90s, why are they doing it now?
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 09:19   Link #7
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
When I played I always thought it half tried to be a serious game, than gave up completely and made a 3D version of Commander Keen with the hopper platform jumping.

It was not a blockbuster in the 90s, why are they doing it now?
I think it's mainly due to the lack of fast paced shooters in the current market. The only one i could think of was Tribes Ascend which revolves mainly around teamplay. Plus there's people like us who still remembers the title so there's some nostalgia factor in it. It's easier to market than a brand new IP.
Old 2013-05-13, 09:30   Link #8
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
I think it's mainly due to the lack of fast paced shooters in the current market. The only one i could think of was Tribes Ascend which revolves mainly around teamplay. Plus there's people like us who still remembers the title so there's some nostalgia factor in it. It's easier to market than a brand new IP.

Nostalgia don't sell anymore....most of us gamers who are now in our early 30s barely remember RoTs as something they plucked out of discount bin back in the 90s.

We might get it, play for 10 mins, realize this is stupid then bomb metacrtic. New generation of gamer wouldn't really get at all.
Old 2013-05-13, 10:25   Link #9
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
This game is being sold indie-style: PC-exclusive and digital download only. I don't think they care about it being a smash hit, they're just doing it for the love of it. And besides, the original ROTT was a cult classic, even if it didn't do too well in its' age compared to its' competitors.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 17:02   Link #10
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I'm excited about it because there are pretty much no fast-paced twitch shooters on the market today. Every FPS recently has been totally cocked up with progression stats, unlockables... some type of grind.

And I really hate that in my multiplayer games--I just want to play against my friends and blow them up repeatedly. I don't want to deal with confusing game types with PvE content shoehorned in. I want the gameplay from UT99 back in a modern package--frenetic fast-paced straight up team deathmatch and deathmatch action.

You know, something I can pop in and play for a half-hour here and there. Not something I need to sink hours and hours and hours into just to be at a level playing field due to all the shit-stupid unlockables and grinding.
Old 2013-05-13, 17:40   Link #11
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Nostalgia don't sell anymore....most of us gamers who are now in our early 30s barely remember RoTs as something they plucked out of discount bin back in the 90s.

We might get it, play for 10 mins, realize this is stupid then bomb metacrtic. New generation of gamer wouldn't really get at all.
I have to disagree with that, nostalgia is a powerful factor in marketing. Just look at most of the successful kickstarters where nostalgia plays a very powerful driving force in securing funding.

Wasteland 2 got funded despite it being so old and I doubt many of the backers even played the original Wasteland. ROTS success is going to weigh heavily on nostalgia(for old school FPS) and finding that niche for itself especially since it's going to forgo popular mechanics like progression.
Old 2013-05-13, 17:42   Link #12
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I funded WL2 and I played the original WL on my 286 DOS machine when I was about 9 years old.
Old 2013-05-13, 20:23   Link #13
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Oh my god. I only have hazy memories but wasn't this the game where you had guns and magic you light up people with at the same time and so on? Lol, this is going to be awesome.

And anything that gets us away from yet another Call of Duty, Halo, or gears of war clone is always welcome.
Old 2013-05-13, 20:55   Link #14
T-6000

Quote:

Which is why many Old School style games made today are indie projects with passionate teams that do this more for love than money. Indie titles need to sell only a fraction of what big budget titles need to make a profit. Even if this new Rise of the Triad game only sells half a million, it'll still be a financial success for this team (though I'm personally expecting around a million total sales).

I'm a bit on the fence with this one. If the single player is good enough, I may actually pick this one up. But on the other hand, I really was never a fan of the original ROTT. It just never clicked for me, though it was gnarly how close it felt to being like Wolfenstein (which is Ironic because the original ROTT was suppose to be a sequel to Wolfenstein 3D). And I'm always a sucker for Occult mixed with a Modern day (or near modern day, in this case) setting.
T-6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 20:59   Link #15
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Reminds me of UT, good ol days.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 21:20   Link #16
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I haven't had a good lightning-fast twitch shooter since UT. No "progression" crap, no unlockables, no grinding, no classes, no headshots or leaning around corners, just good old-fashioned ludicrous gibs.Discuss.
Interestingly, the first CoD: Modern Warfare tried to meet this halfway in the form of its Old School mode; the experiment was apparently unsuccessful if the mode's non-recurrence in subsequent titles is any evidence.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 22:18   Link #17
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-6000 View Post
Which is why many Old School style games made today are indie projects with passionate teams that do this more for love than money. Indie titles need to sell only a fraction of what big budget titles need to make a profit. Even if this new Rise of the Triad game only sells half a million, it'll still be a financial success for this team (though I'm personally expecting around a million total sales).

I'm a bit on the fence with this one. If the single player is good enough, I may actually pick this one up. But on the other hand, I really was never a fan of the original ROTT. It just never clicked for me, though it was gnarly how close it felt to being like Wolfenstein (which is Ironic because the original ROTT was suppose to be a sequel to Wolfenstein 3D). And I'm always a sucker for Occult mixed with a Modern day (or near modern day, in this case) setting.
In the end, I hope the passionate team can pay their engineers or at least gave them a good reference for their next job.
Old 2013-05-13, 22:50   Link #18
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Please don't let this be another Syndicate.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 23:13   Link #19
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Please don't let this be another Syndicate.
It won't be. I've seen videos of this from Quake Con and such, singleplayer wise it's mostly the same game as the original. The only difference is the environments are WAY more detailed and there's a minor change in gameplay. However, the level layout design is completely identical and the difference in gameplay is that missile weapons have alternate fires (which are useful) and bullet weapons have iron sights (which are useless, mainly put in as parody of modern shooters). And all the crazy power-ups like God Mode, Dog Mode, Shrooms Mode, etc are supposed to be back.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 21:10   Link #20
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
It's not all of Apogee, since a lot of them are still with what's left of 3DRealms, but these guys appear to be at least some of the original ROTT95 devs.
Actually, they licensed the Apogee brand and legacy properties. The owner of the new company (which released Duke Nukem: Critical Mass on the DS) isn't completely unrelated in that he's friends with Scott Miller and was involved with marketing/PR during the early years. However, none of the original developers are involved.

As for the development team (Interceptor Entertainment), it's the group of fans who set out to remake Duke Nukem 3D. They were waiting on Gearbox to give them the go ahead but gave up once they received an offer to remake Rise of the Triad.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game, shooter