AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2010-09-21, 16:09   Link #2341
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
I'd like to know how those claims were contradicted, myself. Clearly, I do not agree with such a statement.

But, in all honesty, I'm not really all that interested in a long discussion about something we don't even have the specifics about... but no, I don't think one can successfully claim that a disease communicable via (general) bodily fluids - and not simply through blood, as the chatacyers in the show did not specify such a thing - cannot be transmitted through the whole act of sexual intercourse (and not simply through the genitals, like Swampy was trying to claim).

However, feel free to disagree. It's more fun that way.
The thing being, we don't know which fluids that they are transfered via except blood, which is the only one specified.

It's safe to say this is something we won't really know.
Foreshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 16:57   Link #2342
magnuskn

Whic h is exactly why I don't like how Beto and Yot-Chan are saying that, yes, the V-Type disease will definitely be transmitted via sex, because this is always so, although Swampstorm already presented a case where that is not what happens.
Old 2010-09-21, 19:20   Link #2343
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
None of my clinical micro textbooks make any mention of sexual transmission with regards to WNV. Is this a new finding, and if so, would you please provide a source?

Irrespective of whether sex is an effective method of viral transmission in general, the virus actually needs to be in your genital secretions to begin with in order for it to take advantage of that route. This is dependent in part on viral host cell specificity, the responses initiated by your immune system, and the fact that there are regulatory mechanisms in place that govern the transport of substances between different fluid compartments. Viral lysogeny can play a role as well, but that's more of a specific mechanism.
You make a good point, but you're talking past my two original points. (And for one of them, yeah it's my fault.)

First, that Magnus saying that a virus, communicable through bodily fluids, MIGHT NOT BE STRONG ENOUGH to transmitted through sex...well, that statement makes absolutely no sense.

Second, let me alter my phrasing: Any virus that is communicable through bodily fluids can be transmitted DURING sex, but not necessarily through the genitals.

Satisfied?

(As such, just because there are no documented cases of WNV being spread during sex, it would always be possible. But the strains that are communicable between humans are relatively new, and 90% of people who contract the disease show no symptoms, so I don't believe transmission methods have been thoroughly studied.)
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 08:40   Link #2344
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
First, that Magnus saying that a virus, communicable through bodily fluids, MIGHT NOT BE STRONG ENOUGH to transmitted through sex...well, that statement makes absolutely no sense.
That depends on what you're referring to by a virus' "strength". Are you talking about its contagiousness or its pathogenicity?

Quote:
(As such, just because there are no documented cases of WNV being spread during sex, it would always be possible. But the strains that are communicable between humans are relatively new, and 90% of people who contract the disease show no symptoms, so I don't believe transmission methods have been thoroughly studied.)
If the findings regarding the transmission of the virus ever change, we can have this discussion again. Regardless, the take home message is that not every virus is an STI.

Quote:
Second, let me alter my phrasing: Any virus that is communicable through bodily fluids can be transmitted DURING sex, but not necessarily through the genitals.
Every pathogenic virus has its own set of transmission routes. While you could devise creative ways of satisfying those requirements whilst having sex, in quite a few cases you would need to actively go out of your way to try.

As an example, if you were concerned about the orofecal transmission of a pathogen during sex, would you give up sex altogether, or would you simply give up coprophagia? It doesn't strike me as a particularly tough choice.

Alternatively, if the disease was highly contagious, then transmission during sex would be the least of your concerns, as compared to living with the infected individual, cooking meals with them, or exploring the back of their throats in your free time.

Let's not forget the fact that not every virus is contagious all of the time. Someone who's previously had measles or cold sores has a latent viral infection in their system (the latter of which can be transmitted orogenitally, to make things more exciting). Would you abstain completely simply for fear of transmission of either of them?

All this is ignoring the fact that the V-virus was explicitly stated to be curable until the very late stages of the disease.

In short, you can put this line of reasoning:

Quote:
As I said, I'm not opposed to the idea at all (except for the niggling bit of evidence, STATED DIRECTLY IN THE SHOW, that the V-Virus is communicable by bodily fluids, and I doubt Sheryl would put Alto's life at risk...no one's been able to come up with a logical "out" for that detail)
safely to rest.

Fear not, however, as there was no explicit statement in the TV series that the deed was done, and so the ubiquitous "It's not canon" argument still applies.

Last edited by Swampstorm; 2010-09-26 at 13:13.
Swampstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-02, 03:52   Link #2345
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Anyone up for the TV series rewatch we talked about? Just that i was planning on doing it after the first film is released next week.
Old 2010-10-02, 06:35   Link #2346
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I don't mind.

I'll have to stick closer to the house, anyhow, with my wife having a new bun in the oven, so to speak...

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-02, 07:14   Link #2347
magnuskn

I'd be up for it, too. At which days?
Old 2010-10-02, 08:09   Link #2348
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
I'd be up for it, too. At which days?
An episode a week should do it, so i say let's wait and see how many people end up doing it, and then we can decide a day from there . I'll ask a mod if we could have a thread created.
Old 2010-10-02, 08:11   Link #2349
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
An episode a week should do it, so i say let's wait and see hoe people end up doing it, and then we can decide a day from there . I'll ask a mod if we could have a thread created.
That'd be nice. As soon as Monday afternoon or Tuesday I can contribute for the first episode.
Old 2010-10-02, 21:07   Link #2350
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Anyone up for the TV series rewatch we talked about? Just that i was planning on doing it after the first film is released next week.
I would be up for it as well if you guys don't mind having me around

Quote:
I don't mind.

I'll have to stick closer to the house, anyhow, with my wife having a new bun in the oven, so to speak...
I hope I'm interpreting this right

Congratulations Beto, I hope it's strong and healthy once born

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-02, 22:21   Link #2351
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

You got it on the first try, dude. Just found out.

Old 2010-10-02, 23:01   Link #2352
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
I'm up for watching the series again.

Can never get enough of Sheryl goodness.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 03:46   Link #2353
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
I would be up for it as well if you guys don't mind having me around
Of course! The more the merrier.

Quote:
You got it on the first try, dude. Just found out.
Congratulations! Hoping said bun will the Macross Frontier rewatch. :3

So what day are you guys wanting to do this? I'm cool with any day apart from Friday's.
Old 2010-10-03, 04:58   Link #2354
magnuskn

In which format do we re-watch? One episode per week would take half a year. Maybe two or three?
Old 2010-10-03, 06:00   Link #2355
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
In which format do we re-watch? One episode per week would take half a year. Maybe two or three?
I'd be fine with just one episode a week, though if you wanna do two, then that's perfectly cool with me.

How about one episode on Wednesday, and the following on Sunday? That should space them out a bit.
Old 2010-10-03, 07:21   Link #2356
magnuskn

Well, we should make sure that everyone is on the same page about the number of episodes per week before commiting to a date.
Old 2010-10-03, 07:29   Link #2357
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

If you're all doing a re-watch, I might use the opportunity to get to the commentaries, that's if you don't mind input 'from' the cast and staff for various episodes...

Congrats Beto!! I hope both your wife and child are healthy all the way through!

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 08:59   Link #2358
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Well, we should make sure that everyone is on the same page about the number of episodes per week before commiting to a date.
Yeah i know. I'm just posting some ideas, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
If you're all doing a re-watch, I might use the opportunity to get to the commentaries, that's if you don't mind input 'from' the cast and staff for various episodes...
Yes please. That would be most welcome. :3
Old 2010-10-03, 12:09   Link #2359
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Well I'd be fine with any day I believe. Can't say I'll be able to post on certain days if I squeeze in an episode on my busy days But my schedule is flexible none the less.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 17:11   Link #2360
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Thanks for the well wishes, folks.

As for the rewatch, I guess one episode a week (whatever the day) would be most beneficial, no?

Tags
action, romance