AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-10, 01:40   Link #1
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Touch

It seemed very odd to me that there's no thread for Adachi Mitsuru's legendary manga Touch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch_%28manga%29

I'm only now reading it for the first time, and it was (correctly) pointed out that I was inconsiderate in posting potential spoilers in the Cross Game anime thread. So, given that I'm only through 3 volumes, I wanted a place to discuss the manga on its own merits.

Three volumes in, I can already see why its such a beloved property. Cross Game will always be my primary Adachi passion, but I'm hooked on this one too. Tatsuya is a fantastic character - I especially loves his trying to look up skirts on television in V. 2. As always with Adachi there's a sameness to the premise, but the fun part is in savoring the subtle differences between this and his later works.
Old 2010-04-12, 00:31   Link #2
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Through 4 volumes now. It's gripping me now, largely because Tatchan's frustrations are so powerfully portrayed. Adachi pulls no punches here (literally) - the poor kid takes a lot of blows in these 4 volumes. The inherent pain in this scenario becomes more obvious and more inevitable with each passing page.

I'm enjoying this is a contrast to Cross Game as well. Kou in many ways seems a "cross" (pun intended) between Tatchan and Katchan, and Minami has elements of both Aoba and Wakaba. I think Adachi's writing has gotten subtler, but that's not a knock - the emotions may be more obvious here, but they're still powerful.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2010-04-12 at 15:41.
Old 2010-04-12, 10:34   Link #3
lixuelai

I liked the anime a bit more as it had a couple minor changes in dialogue that seemed to be more consistent with the characterization.
Spoiler for Touch:
Old 2010-04-12, 15:43   Link #4
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixuelai View Post
I liked the anime a bit more as it had a couple minor changes in dialogue that seemed to be more consistent with the characterization.
Spoiler for Touch:
Spoiler for Touch:
Old 2010-04-15, 23:56   Link #5
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

So after six volumes, this manga is beginning to feel positively Shakespearean to me. Timeless, yet singularly Adachi. I know it's been adapted about a jillion times, but I wonder if anyone's considered an updating of the anime. It's been over 20 years, after all.

And coincidentally, I've discovered that the "True Tears" soundtrack is the perfect accompaniment to this story. Go figure.
Old 2010-04-16, 06:33   Link #6
The Rumblefish
Hurray for Takako Shimura

(Unless you are reading the series through wide editions) I think anyone will agree volume 7 is the best one, so you are not even witnessing the series at full speed yet!
Old 2010-04-16, 09:32   Link #7
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rumblefish View Post
(Unless you are reading the series through wide editions) I think anyone will agree volume 7 is the best one, so you are not even witnessing the series at full speed yet!
That's a scary thought.
Old 2010-04-16, 14:07   Link #8
The Rumblefish
Hurray for Takako Shimura

Just talking about it made me read it again. Vol.7 is one of the greatest achievements in the history of manga, from the first page to the last. I don't think Adachi was thinking in terms of how to balance the volumes, but for some reason those 10 chapters combined together are the perfect summary of Touch and Adachi's Work. We can talk more about it once you've read it, if you want.
Old 2010-04-17, 23:24   Link #9
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rumblefish View Post
Just talking about it made me read it again. Vol.7 is one of the greatest achievements in the history of manga, from the first page to the last. I don't think Adachi was thinking in terms of how to balance the volumes, but for some reason those 10 chapters combined together are the perfect summary of Touch and Adachi's Work. We can talk more about it once you've read it, if you want.
Spoiler for Touch V. 7 and Cross Game:
Old 2010-04-26, 00:53   Link #10
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Spoiler for Touch:
Old 2010-04-26, 01:30   Link #11
Theowne
耳をすませば

Well, let's just say that there's an interesting turn of events with Yoshida's character (I assume that's the Takeshi you mean and not Kuroki.....I'm more familiar with their surnames).

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2010-04-26, 03:31   Link #12
fukarming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Spoiler for Touch:
Spoiler for respond:
Old 2010-04-26, 09:55   Link #13
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yes, that's Takeshi. And that's what I figured, he's there to force Tatsuya to be more introspective. I just found his behavior somewhat odd, in a humerous way.

I agree with you - if Adachi's work is about anything, it's about moving on with your life when tragedy strikes. But as one of the major criticisms of his manga is that the characters don't show much emotion, I could see someone who felt that way taking issue with the transition here. For me, it worked just fine.

Incidentally, as this is an almost 30-year old property we're talking about I'm going to dispense with the spoiler tags unless it's something really specific...
Old 2010-05-08, 00:43   Link #14
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Wow - the practice match with Sumi Tech is amazingly intense for a practice match. I find my feelings towards Yoshida turning towards disgust awfully quickly.
Old 2010-05-08, 01:05   Link #15
fukarming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Wow - the practice match with Sumi Tech is amazingly intense for a practice match. I find my feelings towards Yoshida turning towards disgust awfully quickly.
That is the battle vs Nitta and Yoshida pitch for 6 innings, right? How do you think about Yoshida's accusation of the Meisei team favoring Tatsuya because of the memory of Katsuya?

I think Yoshida also shows us the ability of the coach of Meisei, especially of his ability of reading people.

You sure you don't want spoiler tag in this thread? I don't want to give you a major spoiler of something you haven't read yet.
Old 2010-05-08, 11:56   Link #16
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

When in doubt, tag it. I've read up though about 7 innings of that game. That is indeed the one where the coach used Yoshida for 5 innings, then switched to Tatchan.
Old 2010-05-08, 13:47   Link #17
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

I'd like to read this but as someone who is completely ignorant/unfamiliar with the American pastime, Is it worth it?

Also it seems to be a bit on the long side.
Old 2010-05-08, 14:34   Link #18
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
I'd like to read this but as someone who is completely ignorant/unfamiliar with the American pastime, Is it worth it?

Also it seems to be a bit on the long side.
Well, it is on the long side, no doubt.

The baseball is not the strongest nor the most important part of the story, and if you like slice-of-life you would probably like Touch, but I'd be lying if I said there weren't long stretches of baseball content, particularly towards the end. However as long as you aren't against sports sequences, I'm sure you might grow to like those too ( I certainly did ).

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2010-05-08, 14:35   Link #19
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think all of Adachi's works are more about relationships than about sports. I'm about halfway though and I would certainly say it's worth it, though honestly compels me to admit that I love baseball. As with most of his stuff the story very much inhabits a teenage universe, and one where the romance is discussed and inferred more than an obvious part of the story. If that interests you, I wouldn't worry about the baseball.
Old 2010-06-26, 01:09   Link #20
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Officially at 211 chapters now - the Sumi match is about to start.

I know manga and anime is apples and oranges, but at this point I think Cross Game is just a bit better as pertains to the writing. You can see the maturation of the author here - while Adachi is always subtle and the master of understatement, I think the themes in Touch are somewhat more transparent and straightforward. It's something like a wonderful fairy tale, where CG feels more like a bittersweet reflection.

That said, Touch is fantastic. Tatchan is very neatly Kou's equal as a great male lead, although in some ways he's almost a cross between Kou and Aoba. There's no one quite like Minami in CG - she has a bit of Ichi-nee in her, a little Wakaba, but not much Aoba.
Closed Thread