AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 6 14.29%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 5 11.90%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 21.43%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 30.95%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 14.29%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 7.14%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-02-03, 18:19   Link #61
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Gosh, that was the most lackluster and anti-climatic ending in an arc in this series. I couldn't feel any animosity from the villian, Kanzaki thanking Touma when he didn't do anything didn't make sense, and Touma ending up in the hospital for getting hit 3 or 4 times was ridiculous. Even the fighting was weak . No tension whatsoever.

Does Touma end EVERY arc in the hospital?
Well, there was no villain. Touma's completely randomly cast a spell that shifted the natural order of things and the angel that got downshifted was going to destroy the world in order to fix things, metaphysically. One wonders why they couldn't just ask the angel to destroy the house, but I guess she wasn't listening at that point. Kanzaki thanking him... well how was she to know he didn't do anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
And Kanzaki's explanation of how her "fusion religion" stuff having a chance against Misha was totally lost on me.
I think the point was that while Christianity considers God an omnipotent force that can't be defeated (or even properly understood), Shinto thinks of gods (kami) as powerful spiritual beings, but not omnipotent. Therefore by using Shinto in addition to her Christian magic she has god (kami)-hurting powers. (Oh, and the fact that Christians hid their beliefs in Japan by pretending to worship Shinto or Buddhist gods is a historical fact). Frankly it makes no sense since it's basically wordplay. 'Kami-sama' is often translated as God, but its just a translation. European missionaries attempting to bring Christianity probably just seized the closest word they could find when preaching about their God.

As for the episode itself, well I can't help but laugh. I mean, what other reaction is possible? The plot came and went with nothing gained and nothing lost. Although I find the idea of a collector of vaguely occult artifacts randomly casting a world altering spell with Feng Shui (sic) to be too cool to not be impressed by.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 18:57   Link #62
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

What the heck. Why didn't Tsuchimikado just explain to Touma "oh hey, sit tight while I finally get around to casting the fix-everything-in-a-jiffy spell" instead of letting Touma and his dad think that he was going to kill the dad and apparently beating Touma up so badly that he was sent back to the hospital?

Moving on, Touma pretending to be dating Biri Biri to get rid of an unwanted admirer (or whatever this guy is)? I just finished that same plot in the Da Capo game, and while maintaining the status quo says otherwise, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed anyway that it ends the same. I can always dream.

Woah. 10032 teaming up with a biri biri loli? Good times ahead.

Touya has a pretty funny shocked expression.

The glowing eyes and odd speech are nice touches, but Mr. Russian Loli Angel? Couldn't you think of a better weapon than a crowbar?

Last edited by KaneDragon; 2009-02-03 at 21:56.
KaneDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 22:35   Link #63
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I think it's our fate orion to be on opposing sides in every anime we watch. It's gotta be fate.

That's okay. *pats justinstrife on the back*

There's loads of stuff next season like Pandora Hearts, East of Eden and Canaan. The chance exists for agreement.

Or....you could drop in on the Rideback thread. The Awesomeness of Rin Index just went up a notch.
Old 2009-02-03, 23:02   Link #64
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

the original op was better, but this one isn't bad. about the ep. it was better than the last few, which i felt were very bad.

best part of this ep though, "Touma.. you strangled me by my neck..." i laughed so hard..
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 05:06   Link #65
Loc
curious

This storyark was somehow annoying. Most of the time, it would not make sense to me.

Question: I can't help but to compare Touma to the main guy from Mx0 manga, who has the same attitude and special power. only this time it is in toumas right hand and not in some kind of token (magic card). I know that this anime is based on some light novel, but when i watched the first episode I could'nt help but to be reminded of Mx0. Maybe because I read it couple of days beforehand.
Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 05:22   Link #66
jwai

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
best part of this ep though, "Touma.. you strangled me by my neck..." i laughed so hard..
That whole sequence was hilarious, especially since Touma didn't realise that Pierce was Index until way too late.

Now, who is Tsuchimikado really working for? That last rant of his sorta threw me off, unless it was all meant as a joke.
jwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 05:54   Link #67
porchoky

I think that last bit was just a joke.
OK, so someone tell me if I'm right and correct me if I'm wrong:
Touma's dad accidentally set up Angel Fall, and initiated it when he left the house. This spell, if completed, would raise him to angel status. Thus, the angel being threatened (why gabriel? He's a pretty damn powerful angel according to the bible) left heaven to come and kill whoever cast the spell. Natrually she - well, it, chooses a massive AOE (reference to sodom and gomorrah there I think) since angels are just that awesome, or she just wanted to show people what happens when you mess with God? Tsuchimikado meanwhile blows up Touma's house, spell dissapates, angel notices and decides he's outta here, and everything is solved.

Not a bad ep but there could have been more tension.
porchoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 07:04   Link #68
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Did anyone count how many plot twists there were in this episode? I counted eleven.
  • First we're lead to believe Touma's dad was responsible for Angel Fall, but it turns out he knows nothing about it
  • Misha is the angel, and not really from the Russian Orthodox Church
  • Imagine Breaker is no longer effective against Misha
  • Christian magic is ineffective against angels... oh wait, Kanzaki is of the Amakusa-shiki Christian Church, which is why she can fight a Christian angel
  • Oh wait, Touma's dad did cast Angel Fall, he just didn't realize it
  • The only way to stop Angel Fall is to either destroy the ritual location or kill the caster, and since Tsuchimikado can't cast magic, he must kill Touma's dad
  • Oh wait, Tsuchimikado can use magic after all, and he's going to use it to kill Touma's dad
  • No he isn't, he's going to use it to destroy the house... but he'll die if he uses magic. What a noble sacrifice.
  • Noooo Tsuchimikado is dead
  • Oh wait, no he isn't, he's perfectly fine and made a full recovery (deus ex machina, our saviour)
  • In fact, he can even use magic a few more times and expect to recover just fine

Too many plot twists. Way too excessive. When you have this many plot twists, who really cares what actually happens?
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 11:11   Link #69
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Christian magic is ineffective against angels... oh wait, Kanzaki is of the Amakusa-shiki Christian Church, which is why she can fight a Christian angel
Did she ever actually use magic, though? All that build up in the previous ep about whatever she is, and she says her magic name... but then she just runs around slicing ice spikes that get shot at her.
Old 2009-02-04, 13:20   Link #70
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
Did she ever actually use magic, though? All that build up in the previous ep about whatever she is, and she says her magic name... but then she just runs around slicing ice spikes that get shot at her.
I think we have to assume that she was using magic to make her sword more effective.
Old 2009-02-04, 17:44   Link #71
Tiberium Wolf

OMG!.
New Op at arc end -> doesn't make sense.
New Op -> doesn't make sense; awful song
Arc end -> doesn't make sense; it was too stupid; Kanzaki too much talking and boring fight; Misha ended up being irrelevant; Touma being completely useless but this time beyond words.
Old 2009-02-04, 23:20   Link #72
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

ken_FF, have you heard about the existence of spoiler tags?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
Yeah, because you can just jump at an angel and slice it in half

So, some questions regarding the new OP: (spoilertag answers please)

1) Did they add Misha in it for ...1 episode?
2) While Mikoto is eating that hotdog, several girls are passing in front of her. Are they playing any part in the story, important or not?
3) Why the hell is there chibi Mikoto in it?

Totally unrelated:
Lots of new characters in the OP
Chibi Mikoto and MISAKA standing back-to-back looks so awesome <3
Im probably the only one but Misha looks so god damn nice in the OP! I think she is totally cute if it were not for her clothes ... :\ (edit: Ok the hat is pretty cool. The only thing I really mind is the thing that is covering her waist.)
YESSSSS KUROKO and she is teleporting too <333
That summoner or whoever she is, that golem? is friggin awesome. Magic shows needs more summonings anyway.
Oh fuck yes, Himegami in a school uniform <3
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-05, 00:05   Link #73
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
Did they add Misha in it for ...1 episode?
2) While Mikoto is eating that hotdog, several girls are passing in front of her. Are they playing any part in the story, important or not?
3) Why the hell is there chibi Mikoto in it?
1. Why did they add in Himegami? She's even more pointless of an existence than Misha
2. Depends on if they appear in the anime.
3. You will see. If you really want answers, ask in the novel thread.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-05, 01:00   Link #74
sikvod00

Now I'm a little disappointed that we didn't get to see Touma's actual mom in that ultra skimpy swimsuit. =/
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-05, 12:21   Link #75
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
Now I'm a little disappointed that we didn't get to see Touma's actual mom in that ultra skimpy swimsuit. =/
If you thought Touma mom was hot, just wait and see Mikoto's.
Old 2009-02-05, 12:24   Link #76
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
There friends of Mikoto and Kuroko and two of the main characters in A Certain Scientific Railgun manga. JC Staff should stop teasing us and just bring them into the show already!
Old 2009-02-05, 21:05   Link #77
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichy View Post
So you can get teh world nuked with the power of random items?
That was pretty much my thoughts at the end of the episode aswell...Just by buying a whole lot of junk and randomly arranging any random ass person in this stories universe can conceivably destroy the world...lolwut?

Meh I guess logic will continue to be a weak link here...Atleast the new OP managed to, probably falsely, get my hopes up for whats to come.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-05, 21:42   Link #78
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimichi View Post
That was pretty much my thoughts at the end of the episode aswell...Just by buying a whole lot of junk and randomly arranging any random ass person in this stories universe can conceivably destroy the world...lolwut?

Meh I guess logic will continue to be a weak link here...Atleast the new OP managed to, probably falsely, get my hopes up for whats to come.
It's just a ritual... if it can happen it can happen randomly. It's not likely to happen, but they never said it was.
Old 2009-02-07, 20:48   Link #79
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
It's just a ritual... if it can happen it can happen randomly. It's not likely to happen, but they never said it was.
My problem with it is that, from what I understood during the speech, everything had to be placed in very specific positions. All 3,000 of those items. That's not just unlikely.

Wow, this was a bad episode... I forgot it was even an arc ender until I saw Touma at the hospital again. Long speech about nothing + Everything was because of a coincidence + Why didn't he just do that earlier? + Hey, I lied to increase dramatic tension = This episode.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 13:54   Link #80
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Just watch this episode :

Finally it was because of the house ^^ They done it unintentionally
Touya didn't know about the magic and was great when he care about Touma and defend him .
Kazuki didn't use his technique ?? well she's alive ^^
So Misha was a doll . (she added "Opinion" lol )
Ahah Motoharu wasn't dead . Its an expert liar .
Poor Index XD
And How many times Touma will be in hospital ?? XD In the end he will really die lol
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote