AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

View Poll Results: AnoHana - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 41 38.32%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 35.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 22.43%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 0.93%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.80%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-05, 22:16   Link #21
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
"Lets go pee together!!"

Sigh... the minds of 6 year-olds...

Why am I getting the impression that Tsuruko decided to out Yukiatsu because she thought that Jinta was just as messed up in the head. Figured that getting it out in the open was the only way to help Yukiatsu. And decided that Jinta and company were the only people who could be trusted with the secret.

She must have been struggling for a long time trying to figure out how to help him.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-05-05, 22:19   Link #22
Mr.Garfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Spoiler:

I think Anaru will dumb her friends soon. I don't think she has any attachment to her friends, she just hang around with them because it's become a habit. Soon she will realise the her old friends is more important, and her current friends are just some annoying bitches...

About Jintan, i think he'll have to confess his feeling to Menma before he start to actually accept others.
Old 2011-05-05, 22:23   Link #23
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
"Lets go pee together!!"

Sigh... the minds of 6 year-olds...

Why am I getting the impression that Tsuruko decided to out Yukiatsu because she thought that Jinta was just as messed up in the head. Figured that getting it out in the open was the only way to help Yukiatsu. And decided that Jinta and company were the only people who could be trusted with the secret.

She must have been struggling for a long time trying to figure out how to help him.
I do agree that Tsuruko probably trusts the group enough that she can entrust them with something like this, but I'm thinking it's also because Jintan's almost directly related with Yukiatsu's issues.

Actually, a part of me thinks Tsuruko doesn't really care who knows the secret, but thinks that this is the most efficient way of fixing this. I wish we knew more about Tsuruko's character, but it seems we need to help Yukiatsu first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Garfield View Post
I think Anaru will dumb her friends soon. I don't think she has any attachment to her friends, she just hang around with them because it's become a habit. Soon she will realise the her old friends is more important, and her current friends are just some annoying bitches...

About Jintan, i think he'll have to confess his feeling to Menma before he start to actually accept others.
To be honest, I don't think Anaru will stop hanging around them unless they do something really bad. The reason I think she thinks they're good is because she tried to convince Jintan that they weren't bad people instead of just saying that he should ignore them. Also, dumping friends puts people in a bad light, and I can't imagine that they want Anaru to look bad in picking her new friends. She'll realize that her current friends aren't great, but I can't imagine it happening without them being jerks to Jintan more.
Old 2011-05-05, 22:29   Link #24
Johnny
Working the bags...

Agree with the rest about Yukiatsu being revealed so soon was quite unexpected.

Also agree with what Sackett said that Tsuruko was probably doing it to benefit them both. However, Jinta can prove that Menma's real quite easily. Have Menma go in one room with someone and go back and tell Jinta was said person was holding, saying, ect ect...

Last edited by Johnny; 2011-05-05 at 23:01.
Old 2011-05-05, 22:37   Link #25
Mr.Garfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Agree with the rest about Tsuruko being revealed so soon was quite unexpected.

Also agree with what Sackett said that Tsuruko was probably doing it to benefit them both. However, Jinta can prove that Menma's real quite easily. Have Menma go in one room with someone and go back and tell Jinta was said person was holding, saying, ect ect...
You mean Yukiatsu being revealed so soon?

Quote:
To be honest, I don't think Anaru will stop hanging around them unless they do something really bad. The reason I think she thinks they're good is because she tried to convince Jintan that they weren't bad people instead of just saying that he should ignore them. Also, dumping friends puts people in a bad light, and I can't imagine that they want Anaru to look bad in picking her new friends. She'll realize that her current friends aren't great, but I can't imagine it happening without them being jerks to Jintan more.

Or maybe they'll dumb her? Because i think she'll spend less time with them and more time with her new(old) friends. And her current friends are just your average teenage chicks, they'll dumb you when they get bored, lolz.
And i think the reason she tried to convince Jintan that they weren't bad people is because she still think that they're her friends, with some "friends should stand up for each other" kind of things. I doubt it's her genuine feeling, because she seems to be quite annoyed herself with her friends bitching about everything.
Old 2011-05-05, 22:44   Link #26
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Garfield View Post
Or maybe they'll dumb her? Because i think she'll spend less time with them and more time with her new(old) friends. And her current friends are just your average teenage chicks, they'll dumb you when they get bored, lolz.
And i think the reason she tried to convince Jintan that they weren't bad people is because she still think that they're her friends, with some "friends should stand up for each other" kind of things. I doubt it's her genuine feeling, because she seems to be quite annoyed herself with her friends bitching about everything.
Aha, and then maybe Jintan and everyone else will come to the rescue and stand up for her if her other friends start ragging on her and everything will be better! I'd be really happy if that happened.

I don't know if Anaru is annoyed. She seems hesitant to agree, but she seems like the type of person that tries not to mind if other people are being somewhat unpleasant. She's too "impressionable". In my opinion.
Old 2011-05-05, 22:47   Link #27
hero147

Though what's really starting to annoy me is the fact that Jintan continues to believe that Menma is a figment of his imagination. She has already shown to affect the physical world, shown by Poppo in this episode, yet Jintan still makes no effort to prove to his friends that she exists.
Old 2011-05-05, 22:50   Link #28
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Seriously, my only worry is that this show has packed so much awesome into 4 episodes that it might collapse under the weight of it before 11 eps have aired.

All of the characters on this series - all of them - are outstanding. Complex, interesting, lead-character quality. But there's six of them - that's pretty rare. And the show packs so much emotional punch with so little effort it's a real tribute to the writing - and the cast. This is really great stuff.

Tsukuro = GAR.
Old 2011-05-05, 22:56   Link #29
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

First half = RAAAAAGE @ Yukiatsu
Second half = LOLWUT @ Yukiatsu
Old 2011-05-05, 23:04   Link #30
Mr.Garfield

Quote:
Aha, and then maybe Jintan and everyone else will come to the rescue and stand up for her if her other friends start ragging on her and everything will be better! I'd be really happy if that happened.

I don't know if Anaru is annoyed. She seems hesitant to agree, but she seems like the type of person that tries not to mind if other people are being somewhat unpleasant. She's too "impressionable". In my opinion.
That'll be good, though some what cliched, but still good.

But I don't think Anaru is of a put-up-with-everything type. She seems to now, but it's not her true self. Maybe the child Anaru did have that personality, but she's grown up now, and changed. You can see that she has a strong personality when she play nokemon with Jintan and Poppo. It's just that she tried to hide that part of herself when she's with her current friends, to blend in, maybe, and try to move on with her life (meaning forget about Menma...). But she'll realise that she's chosen the wrong path, and be true to herself again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero147 View Post
Though what's really starting to annoy me is the fact that Jintan continues to believe that Menma is a figment of his imagination. She has already shown to affect the physical world, shown by Poppo in this episode, yet Jintan still makes no effort to prove to his friends that she exists.
I don't think prove Menma existence is the point. What Jintan needs now is that his friends believe in him, and show some supports (and Anaru did that already), whether Menma is real or not.
Old 2011-05-05, 23:10   Link #31
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//

I watched the ep a second time.

At first I was really pissed off at Yukiatsu, part of me still is actually. But somehow, that ending scene made me somehow feel sorry for him. His expression of desperation did the trick maybe?
Old 2011-05-05, 23:22   Link #32
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Ever since I suspected he was "Menma" I've felt more sorry for Yukiatsu than angry at him. But here's a question - does the fact that he was smelling his own dress make him less creepy, or more?

I agree with Garfield that proving Menma's existence is not the point. The question of just what Menma is still hangs over things, of course - though it seems obvious she's still an odd mix of little girl ("Let's pee together!") and teenager mentally and emotionally. But I think that question probably isn't the right one to be asking, as I don't think it's really going to be the point of the series. It's the impact she has on the others that really matters - not least, to Menma herself.

I think there were a couple of reasons Tsuruko "outed" Yukiatsu. Most obviously because she's holding a candle for him and this was a sort of intervention. But I also think for all her stern exterior she's a genuinely caring person. She likes Jinta and feels real sympathy for him, and she could see that for him the Menma-ghost thing was very real - and didn't like seeing Yukiatsu making a mockery of his feelings, be they illusory or not.
Old 2011-05-05, 23:30   Link #33
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Yeah, the best way at getting back at some dude that "stole" your girl is to dress up like her and run around in front of the dude.

I don't even know where to start.
Old 2011-05-05, 23:30   Link #34
Sebasu
~

Spoiler:
Old 2011-05-05, 23:37   Link #35
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Soon or later, I would like to see a satisfying bitchslap (figuratively, or literally, either would be fine) on those two no-good wench Anaru calls "friends".
Their demeanor and attitude is teeth grindingly irritating. Which is exactly what the director wants us to feel, I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero147 View Post
The easiest way to do that would be if Menma had gotten hold of that coffee mug and drank it in front of everyone.

"ZOMG FLOATING COFFEE CUP! COFFEE DRINKING POLTERGEIST!"

Last edited by aohige; 2011-05-05 at 23:50.
Old 2011-05-05, 23:40   Link #36
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Jintan saving Anaru was awesome, but Tsuruko calling out Yukiatsu was AWESOMER. Tsuruko exhibiting a part of the epitome of the osananajimi (understanding to the extent of it almost being like telepathy) just had me squealing like fangirl. I guess that's one downside to these type of couplings.. you really can't hide anything.

I mean, Anaru being the more typical osananajimi is fine and all, but Tsuruko breaking out of the 'doormat' mold (as my RL friends deride them lol) by using this understanding of Yukiatsu to give him this no-nonsense attitude was highly entertaining to say the least. Kinda want her to go down that cliff, give Yukiatsu a slap, and then unleash her spiel while breaking down in tears... but that's just my shippy side talking lol.

Now if you'll excuse, I gotta watch the episode again...

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2011-05-05, 23:55   Link #37
james0246

1.) I love Tsuruko's carpet...and that's not a euphemism. During the brief scene in her room, we see a bit of her decorations (or lack thereof), and I was struck by how cute her carpet is (I'm unsure what the flower designs are...lilies?...).

2.) To continue with the floral theme, I love Poppo's short-sleeve shirt with the four leaf clover design.

As for the episode, well it was lots of fun (as usual). Ano Hana (and strangely enough, Ao no Exorcist) have been the most consistent anime titles for me this season, with each episode delivering their prerequisite emotional drama tinged with tragedy and a healthy dollop of comedy to help ease the mood (dare I say tension) between the "friends" (friends still being in quotation marks until such a time as the characters can stand to look each other in the eyes ).
Old 2011-05-05, 23:55   Link #38
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

On the subject of Jintan saving Anaru...

Let's review the parallels:

Series starts with a time jump.

Irinu Miyu plays the male lead whose child love passes away young.

Haruka Tomatsu plays the girl who was the "other" girl in the male lead's affections while the dead girl was alive.

Her character is sharp-tongued and sarcastic towards the hero, but obviously loves him and is plagued by deep insecurities about herself.

The dead girl (apparently) drowned in a river.

The presence of the dead girl hangs over everything that happens when the children are teenagers.

Hmmm...
Old 2011-05-06, 00:17   Link #39
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
On the subject of Jintan saving Anaru...

Let's review the parallels:

Series starts with a time jump.

Irinu Miyu plays the male lead whose child love passes away young.

Haruka Tomatsu plays the girl who was the "other" girl in the male lead's affections while the dead girl was alive.

Her character is sharp-tongued and sarcastic towards the hero, but obviously loves him and is plagued by deep insecurities about herself.

The dead girl (apparently) drowned in a river.

The presence of the dead girl hangs over everything that happens when the children are teenagers.

Hmmm...

One big difference that made the other one a lot more enjoyable for me though - male lead has unshakeable confidence and self esteem, hence a certain coolness
Old 2011-05-06, 00:44   Link #40
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Wow Yukiatsu....I mean it seemed like a probable theory, but seeing it in action is pretty creepy. Guy was full on jerk the whole episode so just laughing like heck when seeing him at the end of the episode. Saying things that he should know perfectly well that Menma wouldn't believe. His attempts to take alpha male dominance of things is pretty sad.

Seems that Anaru really is going to need this circle of friends pretty soon. Those jerk friends of hers really aren't making themselves look any better. Sure a friend clearly being torn and running off isn't fun, but that was some attitude the moment she was gone. Hopefully she can dump that duo pretty soon since they aren't doing her any favors in getting closer to Jintan. Still nice rescue by Jintan. Probably not necessary to be too hard on her since she wasn't goofing around and fell, just was a bit more focused on chasing after him than her footing. Of course if Menma did fall and die like that it's no surprise he wouldn't want to see version 2 of that event.

Was fun when Menma just jumped Poppo. Would have thought someone like him who is really getting into this would think it was Menma doing what she was doing. At least this just keeps adding fuel to the "yeah she's a strange kind of ghost" theory. If she can influence things that much maybe sooner or later Jintan should start showing that she is around.

Nice outing job by Tsuruko. I'm sure she was conflicted about doing it or not. But the fact that Yukiatsu was stepping on Jintan's feelings so much probably didn't quite sit right with her. Though probably the biggest reason was feeling the need to get him help and get this out in the open.