AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-07-01, 21:40   Link #101
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmm, rather than pickled foods - the research I've seen pointed towards the lack of fiber in the Japanese diet (primarily protein and carbs (fish/tofu/rice). The vegetables they did tend to eat are often pickled.

Obviously, these are somewhat speculative -- but we tend to augment most of our asian cooking at our house with many more vegetables than our friends from Japan say they eat.
Old 2008-07-01, 22:05   Link #102
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Hmmm, rather than pickled foods - the research I've seen pointed towards the lack of fiber in the Japanese diet (primarily protein and carbs (fish/tofu/rice). The vegetables they did tend to eat are often pickled.
A low fiber diet is most typically associated with high rates of colorectal cancer. Dietary fiber takes effect in the large intestine to facilitate movement and form a looser mass. Less contact with less concentrated toxins in the stool is probably why this is. I don't recall it having any role in digestion in the stomach. On the other hand, the relatively high acidity of pickled foods (particularly appetizers, which contact the stomach lining before a barrier can be fully formed. Umeboshi, anyone?) can be damaging. Acid-resistant microbes thrive in pickled foods and may also play a role in this, though without statistics for rates of ulcer in Japan and Korea, this is really just speculation.
Old 2008-07-01, 22:31   Link #103
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

True enough.... my bad - my brain just transcribed "gut" when I scanned the article and that's the first thing it fished up out of the data bin.
Old 2008-07-01, 22:37   Link #104
rio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
On the other hand, the relatively high acidity of pickled foods (particularly appetizers, which contact the stomach lining before a barrier can be fully formed. Umeboshi, anyone?) can be damaging. Acid-resistant microbes thrive in pickled foods and may also play a role in this, though without statistics for rates of ulcer in Japan and Korea, this is really just speculation.
If true, i would be very shocked. Because i was grown up hearing 'Eat umeboshi ,
and you can be healther.' by my mother and grandmother ;_;
Old 2008-07-01, 23:10   Link #105
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rio View Post
If true, i would be very shocked. Because i was grown up hearing 'Eat umeboshi ,
and you can be healther.' by my mother and grandmother ;_;
In ancient times, fermented/preserved foods are often good (and only) sources of essential nutrients like vitamins (back when they were not in pills). Everything in moderation, I don't think one hinomaru bentou is going to kill you.

At the very basic level (Lewis Acids/Bases for the scientifically inclined), acid/base interacts with other stuff by oxidation and reduction, the transfer of electrons. It's the same principle as the carcinogenic "free radicals" that makes doctors tell you to eat foods with "anti-oxidants". Umeboshi is very, very sour (acidic).

The prodigious amount of alcohol that your salarymen and young people consume without much food to prepare the stomach is probably not helping either. Alcohol is a very strong organic solvent, most of those cause cancer.
Old 2008-07-02, 00:18   Link #106
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Nooooo! Kozue-chan! ;_;
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 00:29   Link #107
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

We need that here in the states.
bbduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 11:28   Link #108
Nervous Venus

I do wonder what some of those older Japanese people eat to live so long. I've seen a bunch of healthy 90 + year olds, whereas here in the states, most of us are gone by 80.
Nervous Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 12:17   Link #109
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

It's not just diet that contributes to their longevity; it's the fact that from a young age they are active, and eat well, and most are generally much better balanced than your average American.

Here, we live incredibly high stress lives from start to finish, we eat crap, we don't' exercise; it's small wonder we keel over early.

I have not lived there, and while I know it's stressful, by accounts of my mother in law and so on from Japan, it's a different kind of stress. Many of them also make sure to take time for themselves in the form of meditation/prayer or whatever. Re energizing the body helps, I daresay.

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote