AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

View Poll Results: Who is the best girl?
Ichika 14 7.69%
Nino 30 16.48%
Miku 95 52.20%
Yotsuba 23 12.64%
Itsuki 18 9.89%
Other 2 1.10%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2020-01-27, 04:46   Link #5221
Hakai

I needed this diabetes inducing chapter after so much salt.

Been waiting for this since 113.
Old 2020-01-27, 07:27   Link #5222

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedAccelerator View Post
Oh, God...

So when Fuutarou talks about childhood dreams to Yotsuba in search for a concrete goal, he has to bring up Nino's childhood dream, which if the text is correct, now is "Japan's best/number one cake shop". This makes Nino flustered and she reveals they were hiding. This better not be her future aspiration. I said it multiple times that if Negi wanted to confirm it, he could have done it multiple times. At this rate I can totally see the lazyness. Miku overtakes the bakery, Nino overtakes the cake shop, while the managers retire, date each other, get married as well.
Negi does stress that it was her old dream and it's still basically a repeat of what was said in 55. Though, it can still be it. Especially now that she lost everything she had, she might go back to it.
If that's just it, then it's beyond fucking lame after Negi's been baiting with it for over 60 chapters now. He doesn't give a fuck.
We still don't know her future plans. She got a B on her prospect exam, so I guess it wasn't cooking related. Management? Business?

Characters in this manga can never stop thinking about Nino, huh? Almost like some people here.

So, we still don't know her (current) dream, we still don't know her future plans, she still didn't have a closure of any kind, no reflection on her relationship with Fuutarou, we haven't even seen a single thought from her and she's brought into this chapter to highlight her suffering while everone else can smile happily.
What's the purpose of all of this, Negi? Laughs? Haven't you tortured her enough already?

I won't even comment on the flaming pile of garbage the rest of this chapter is.
256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-27, 13:24   Link #5223
WingedAccelerator

Yotsuba got the same course, except worse.
She had no idea, over and over again it was brought up that she has to think, then comes the sports recommendation from nowhere, but now, not even that is the solution, she still doesn't have anything concrete on mind. Wrong! She wanted to be a Bride, so Fuutarou has to fulfill her wish. And people dare to say to me that Fuutarou was long over his necessary complex, when in this very chapter, he even says that he tries to be a man, who can stand on equal footing with Yotsuba, who wants to be worthy of Yotsuba of all quints. He feels inferior to the dreamless, aimless, brainless Yotsuba. Oh, God, no wonder the others lost, because that would have been unmeasurable inferiority, especially with Ichika, the rich actress. But of course, Yotsuba also couldn't miss the chance to comment on how she still hesitates dating him, because she doesn't know becoming happy alone and leaving the sisters is a good thing. I'm tired of Negi's bullshit. I'm tired of all these pity points. -.-"

Management or Business would be nice for Nino. She is already considered a genius cook, so instead of practial skills, some business knowledge is the way to go. But Negi most likely doesn't give a damn.

Now... What's up with Miku again? Why can't she have a single word of dialogue with Fuutarou since Chapter 110? Even if she had a sendoff chapter, that's no excuse, when all of the other quints talked to him since the choice. They are still friends on paper, go the same school, classmates, yet it seems both ended any contact with each other since Day 3 of the Festival.
WingedAccelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-27, 14:16   Link #5224
Hakai

Is Fuutarou gonna fall before his wedding too lol

Can't wait to see Papa Nakano's reaction.

"There's no reason for you to call me otou-san"

"Actually there is"
Old 2020-01-27, 18:29   Link #5225
DanielSong39

It's not a good sign when you find yourself sympathizing with Papa Nakano more and more with each passing chapter
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-27, 19:45   Link #5226
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Now... What's up with Miku again? Why can't she have a single word of dialogue with Fuutarou since Chapter 110? Even if she had a sendoff chapter, that's no excuse, when all of the other quints talked to him since the choice. They are still friends on paper, go the same school, classmates, yet it seems both ended any contact with each other since Day 3 of the Festival.
- She is the fan favorite.

- Negi knows that any panel time she has with Fuutarou would steal the thunder away from Yotsuba and would disprove everything about the choice with little to no effort.

- She is the most developed of the five.

- Negi and the readers know that she carried the majority of the series on her back like Atlas.

- The readers know she got retconned and sabotaged hard by Negi.

- She has actually thought about her future.

And many more, take your pick.
Old 2020-01-27, 22:47   Link #5227
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Spoiler for Romance in a nutshell in 5toubun:
Suddenly I feel bad about the quints grandpa;

Your summary like saying he got retcon to his very existence.

Old 2020-01-27, 23:11   Link #5228
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
It's not a good sign when you find yourself sympathizing with Papa Nakano more and more with each passing chapter
Why? Is that what we call character development?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-28, 03:13   Link #5229
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

We should be rooting for Fuutarou, who is the protagonist in this story. Character development for the sake of character development is missing the point of having character development in the first place. That said, Papa Nakano being sympathetic is somehow positive as it means that he's now favorable things in the POV of the reader compared to before when he's a one-dimensional villain-type character that stands in the way of Fuutarou.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-28, 04:14   Link #5230
WingedAccelerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
- She is the fan favorite.

- Negi knows that any panel time she has with Fuutarou would steal the thunder away from Yotsuba and would disprove everything about the choice with little to no effort.

- She is the most developed of the five.

- Negi and the readers know that she carried the majority of the series on her back like Atlas.

- The readers know she got retconned and sabotaged hard by Negi.

- She has actually thought about her future.

And many more, take your pick.
No wonder Chapter 98 was really the last Miku (+Itsuki) chapter he tweeted about. I fumed enough about this, but I still can't fathom why did he skip her Festival chapter(s) or the sendoff chapter. "Haruba-sensei loves all quints equally", except the most popular, because everyone talks about her and not the upcoming winner. We can't have that. I bet he will tweet about the new date, and put that Yotsuba smile as the advertising image.

Coincidentally, I also have to say that the Bride Yotsuba volume was the last one he did his usual routine of posting the front cover, then the clean version two weeks later. He stopped doing that for Bride Itsuki, Fuutarou and the Bride. He only posted the clean versions for these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
Suddenly I feel bad about the quints grandpa;

Your summary like saying he got retcon to his very existence.

Ichika + vending machine > Grandpa.
Old 2020-01-28, 18:55   Link #5231
amasposu

Chapter 119:

Hot chapter.
amasposu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-28, 19:30   Link #5232
Lex79

After reading the chapter, I can confirm it's good, even better than I thought from the spoilers. Nino's saltiness is actually played for laughs, the sisters' stalking is them being supportive, Fuutarou's proposal and Yotsuba's answer are both sweet and funny.
Old 2020-01-28, 20:19   Link #5233
Endless_Despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex79 View Post
After reading the chapter, I can confirm it's good, even better than I thought from the spoilers. Nino's saltiness is actually played for laughs, the sisters' stalking is them being supportive, Fuutarou's proposal and Yotsuba's answer are both sweet and funny.
Indeed. As a stand alone chapter it was overall a good one. It was cute, fluffy and funny with Fuutarou being an utter dork and messing up his confession for a proposal instead. The symbolism was a nice touch as well. The Bride thing people were complaining about from the spoilers was fine within the context here as well. If I was to complain about something in particular, it would be Fuutarou saying the swings have been special to him since he went there together with Yotsuba last. Implying that's when he started to fall in love in Yotsuba which kinda goes against what he said at the end of Scrambled Eggs arc.
Endless_Despair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-28, 21:35   Link #5234
Chosen_Hero

^^I don't care how "sweet" of a chapter it is, all the bullshit and retconing that has happened so far ruined this manga, which used to be one of my favorite things I used to look forward to each week, thanks Negi.

Good for you if you can still stand this crap, but I personally lost any respect I had for this manga and Negi as a writer for the things mentioned above. Like I said before, I would be fine with this IF it made any damn sense with the story we were given, it didn't, not even when you try to force yourself to make it so (unless you are a Yotsuba fanboy or Negi who is literally making shit up to justify this ending), I am not giving it or Negi a pass and I am definitely not reading anything he writes in the future.
Old 2020-01-28, 21:58   Link #5235
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I guess it comes down to how much you manage to care about the series and the characters. Personally I never cared much for the series beyond a mild like and slightly looking forward to the release every week. As such the ups and downs of the series never affected me as much and I can still enjoy the series all the same, even to this day

Compare that to hi score girl or kono oto tomare when I was basically squealing like a girl every episode.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-28, 22:25   Link #5236
Endless_Despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
^^I don't care how "sweet" of a chapter it is, all the bullshit and retconing that has happened so far ruined this manga, which used to be one of my favorite things I used to look forward to each week, thanks Negi.

Good for you if you can still stand this crap, but I personally lost any respect I had for this manga and Negi as a writer for the things mentioned above. Like I said before, I would be fine with this IF it made any damn sense with the story we were given, it didn't, not even when you try to force yourself to make it so (unless you are a Yotsuba fanboy or Negi who is literally making shit up to justify this ending), I am not giving it or Negi a pass and I am definitely not reading anything he writes in the future.
That's why I said as a stand alone chapter it was good. As Lex79 mentioned the term on a previous page, this series has become a guilty pleasure for me at this point. I'm well aware there are flaws as I've even talked about some in previous posts and I personally feel the writing for this story deteriorated since Sisters Wars, but there have for me still been some ups since then and I will still enjoy what I can from them. I don't think its as awful as you make it out to be, otherwise I would have already dropped this series and even stopped discussing it. I have a policy not to bother with a series any longer if it annoys me more than I actually enjoy it. I did it with Naruto for instance all those years ago and I'm very glad I dropped it when I did, as I didn't waste any more of my time on it. If anything Chosen_Hero I commend you for still sticking around despite how much you hate the series now. If I was in your shoes I wouldn't be able to.
Endless_Despair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-28, 22:36   Link #5237
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Well, after reading it ...

The flow of quint following others basically copy paste from Miku date in Kyoto but less "we're family" matters and more rom-com gimmick, way to go to sell Yotsuba;
Maybe its just me but I don't like how "Nino old dream" threw in midst of it for comical purpose even when it looks good. It looks like author tried to gave last minute appeal for Nino (after ruining her reputation, sure) just like how Itsuki met Mudo out of nowhere and "OMG, so I like him too" before to ensure readers the title is 5-toubun, not 4-toubun + 1, oh no, now its 3-toubun + 2.

I ended up sad looking at Ichika and Miku now TBH;

Like, you can see author tried his best to reset both of them back to pre-character development personality like they never involved before, especially Miku.
Limiting their talk, have to tell the couple is cute, an achievement itself and approve them, put them under distant shot. If the purpose is telling that all of them are family and care about the couple, its awful, not to mention right after author treated them like they're going home to different houses.

I'd rather have Itsuki and Nino only, saying Ichika and Miku are currently working--
Oh, wait, since Miku always hated herself, her taking initiatives to improve her cooking in bakery must be only my imagination that's non-canon.

Old 2020-01-28, 22:54   Link #5238
Snowbold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless_Despair View Post
That's why I said as a stand alone chapter it was good. As Lex79 mentioned the term on a previous page, this series has become a guilty pleasure for me at this point. I'm well aware there are flaws as I've even talked about some in previous posts and I personally feel the writing for this story deteriorated since Sisters Wars, but there have for me still been some ups since then and I will still enjoy what I can from them. I don't think its as awful as you make it out to be, otherwise I would have already dropped this series and even stopped discussing it. I have a policy not to bother with a series any longer if it annoys me more than I actually enjoy it. I did it with Naruto for instance all those years ago and I'm very glad I dropped it when I did, as I didn't waste any more of my time on it. If anything Chosen_Hero I commend you for still sticking around despite how much you hate the series now. If I was in your shoes I wouldn't be able to.
Agreed, there can be such a thing as a good part in a bad story or arc. Take Tokyo Ghoul Root A. That anime season was horrible and butchered the story and then they went on to :Re like it never happened for season 3. And yet the scene of Kaneki carrying Hide through the streets is still good and so sad. You can appreciate that scene alone and still trash the rest of the season for butchery of plot, characters, themes, etc...
Snowbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-29, 02:39   Link #5239
Hakai

Well that first date is pretty much as bad as you'd expect from Fuutarou

Good thing she's loved him for a long time already
Old 2020-01-29, 02:58   Link #5240
WingedAccelerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless_Despair View Post
If I was to complain about something in particular, it would be Fuutarou saying the swings have been special to him since he went there together with Yotsuba last. Implying that's when he started to fall in love in Yotsuba which kinda goes against what he said at the end of Scrambled Eggs arc.
I told you some time ago that it was really Chapter 21 that sealed the deal already, but you said it doesn't make sense in retrospection. I was so right on the money. This chapter just further confirmed it with what you have just said.

But I leave this page here anyways.
https://i.imgur.com/oWPsOWg.jpg
Tell me how this is not a foreshadowing of the ending of all of the quints. And this happened in Chapter 42. From Chapter 10 till the end of her flashbacks, Chapter 90, Yotsuba had the least amount of screentime. Yet, to Fuutarou, only her having feelings for him was obvious, not the rest of the quints, so his heart only cared about her from the joke confession, Chapter 21.

1. Ichika wants to be an actress. Fuutarou has his doubts, but she makes it. But, she is not the Bride.
2. Nino loves her sisters, but fights a lot with Fuutarou. Still, she also ends up falling in love with him. But, she is not the Bride.
3. Miku has low self-esteem, doesn't believe in herself. Meeting Fuutarou changed her and she is finally happy. But, she is not the Bride.
4. Yotsuba is strong, Fuutarou wants to depend on her and wants her to depend on him, but her behavior gives him the biggest troubles. She is in love with him. Turns out she is the Bride.
5. Itsuki is hard-working, but bickers a lot with Fuutarou. Still, Fuutarou doesn't want her hard-work, her dream to become a teacher go to waste, because he knows she can do it. But, she is not the Bride.

With the swings, the manga boils down to:
- Yotsuba falling in love with Fuutarou, but not confessing because of her complexes and guilt due to the school transfer.
- Fuutarou falling in love with Yotsuba twice, but doesn't know how to deal with the other sisters also having feelings for him, so he stalls them until the end.

Truly a rigged game from the start.

Tags
dumpster fire, first girl after all, harem, privileged main heroine, quintuplets, retcon, student-tutor, train wreck