AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-12, 21:03   Link #121
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I, for one, didn't really know people associated the tsundere archetype with the whole moe thing... you learn something new everyday. I, for one, wouldn't really say that I'd like to cuddle and over-protect someone like Taiga.

Old 2009-01-12, 21:07   Link #122
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Tsundere is a moe archetype, yes. It's not the MUST PROTECT or BURNING PASSION moe, but more the THAT'S HOT moe.
Old 2009-01-12, 21:18   Link #123
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

God, all this labeling is kinda confusing, to me.
I'll just say I, for one, wouldn't consider Taiga moe, as in, I don't really feel the need to protect her or anything. Most tsunderes I've seen in anime would fall into that consideration, as well.

I guess that's why labeling is not something I'm all that comfortable with...

Old 2009-01-12, 23:00   Link #124
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Vexx, you are right and wrong at the same time. While being attracted to one moe characteristic or another is completely individual, moe features as such are generic. At least there are some features that are considered to be moe in general - Tusndere is one of being moe features thats for sure, just like meganekko and so on. And i am referring that Taiga looks stuffed with such moe features - she is a tsundere, she is a loli, she is clumsy, she is helpless (or at least looks like helpless and relient on which is an important attraction characteristic in sexist community that Japan is).

Definitely, Taiga is a moe character, one of the most moe stuffed character I have seen in years.
Sorry but I'm not exactly a n00b when it comes to Japanese culture ... "moe" *is* exactly as I said. And I happen to consider Taiga "moe". I don't consider Ami "moe" though she's quite charming and pretty.
Quote:
An essential quality of moe is that the person feels protective towards the character – too protective to sexualize the character
As a counter-example, Mikuru of SHnY is generally acknowledged to have "moe" despite being very un-flatchested. Moe is a feeling - not a specific collection of attributes.

edit: reread the posts... it sounds a bit like we're variously a bit confused on what the other intended by their posts.... bleh, more coffee needed.
Old 2009-01-17, 22:32   Link #125
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Anyway, a little interested in Taiga running for council president. It will be big (I think).
Old 2009-01-18, 09:39   Link #126
wistfulloner

It will probably be the largest thing that has happened since the school opened. But unfortunately, it will likely end as fast as it appeared.
Old 2009-01-29, 14:56   Link #127
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Sorry but I'm not exactly a n00b when it comes to Japanese culture ... "moe" *is* exactly as I said. And I happen to consider Taiga "moe". I don't consider Ami "moe" though she's quite charming and pretty.
As a counter-example, Mikuru of SHnY is generally acknowledged to have "moe" despite being very un-flatchested. Moe is a feeling - not a specific collection of attributes.

edit: reread the posts... it sounds a bit like we're variously a bit confused on what the other intended by their posts.... bleh, more coffee needed.
Moe/Sexualization tends to occur with commercialization. Both aren't necessary the same. Agreed the classic example should be the feelings of protectiveness.

One obstacle I see with RyujixTaiga is that sense of protectiveness of him towards her. Maybe I've just got the line from Genshiken stuck in my head about love and moe being two different things.

Any other thoughts on the latest episode with taiga's behavior? It's certainly different.
Old 2009-01-29, 23:45   Link #128
wistfulloner

She creeps me out with her sudden lack of bite. The Christmas spirit must really be getting into her head.
Old 2009-01-31, 00:21   Link #129
Ryu-kun
Dragon - Igniton
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Ryu-kun
lol Taiga still is like a child :P so Kawaii believing in Santa Claus

Episode 17 is a start for a turning point for Taiga don't you think? The OP kinda hinted it.

Click siggy to join Toradora club~
Old 2009-01-31, 01:47   Link #130
wistfulloner

It's more of a turning point for everyone, not just for Taiga.

But still, she's one of the main focuses for change, along with Minori.
Old 2009-02-01, 02:14   Link #131
Ryu-kun
Dragon - Igniton
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Ryu-kun
Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
It's more of a turning point for everyone, not just for Taiga.

But still, she's one of the main focuses for change, along with Minori.
My bad thought the character threads meant only the character itself not on everyone else x.x

Click siggy to join Toradora club~
Old 2009-02-01, 02:35   Link #132
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You can *refer* to other characters, just try to keep the focus on how it affects Taiga since this is her thread. So you're basically fine. The series does have several characters approaching a major crossroad in how their lives will play out -- Taiga being one of them.
Old 2009-02-02, 08:09   Link #133
shinryou
--- semi-hikikomori ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageGaiGar View Post
Moe/Sexualization tends to occur with commercialization. Both aren't necessary the same. Agreed the classic example should be the feelings of protectiveness.

One obstacle I see with RyujixTaiga is that sense of protectiveness of him towards her. Maybe I've just got the line from Genshiken stuck in my head about love and moe being two different things.

Any other thoughts on the latest episode with taiga's behavior? It's certainly different.
Then again, moe can be either as these terms seem to change from their original. The term Tsundere has changed in definition so as a result many labels as such seem to fit multiple meanings
Old 2009-02-02, 08:25   Link #134
Fran~
floating away...

Moe is not even related to sexualization, it's just a contemplative emotion, like a beautiful sunshine or such. Tsundere is just a "love-hate" relationship...

It's quite simple.
Old 2009-02-02, 13:30   Link #135
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Tsundere (evolved version): crunchy hard crust with a creamy nougat center...
Old 2009-02-02, 14:41   Link #136
shinryou
--- semi-hikikomori ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Tsundere (evolved version): crunchy hard crust with a creamy nougat center...
ha, that's a nice description
Old 2009-02-03, 14:05   Link #137
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Heh, a fitting description indeed.
Old 2009-02-18, 14:42   Link #138
moshimouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
She creeps me out with her sudden lack of bite. The Christmas spirit must really be getting into her head.
same here, though it was a nice change of pace to see another side to her. I hate it when animes only give a character one way to be for the whole series. It defiantly humanized her a bit and made her less a cartoon character and someone you could possibly relate too.

i think thats why i love this anime so much, you know whats going to happen but the characters are so round that they really make the anime, you cant help and fall in love with them. Especially Taiga, i love her!
Old 2009-02-18, 15:01   Link #139
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That's why I carry a special rubber squeaky mallet around to smack the heads of those who dismiss the characters as "just like cardboard archetype from another series". Very few people in real life are stuck in one narrow behavior mode -- the author (and to some extent the anime adapters) have done a very good job of presenting people that seem more like real life.
Old 2009-02-19, 21:50   Link #140
k'2

Send a message via MSN to k'2 Send a message via Yahoo to k'2
That's right real people aren't always predectible or they aren't at all. but they don't stray away from thier true nature
Closed Thread

Tags
characters