AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-03-25, 12:52   Link #41
Anime-fan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sostrander View Post
Wow, you really got it. That's pretty much exactly what I mean. Living vicariously through the characters and becoming emotionally attached to them. Thanks.

Sadly, I've still felt pretty empty after finishing ToraDora! I can't help it, it was a great anime, and I just love it so much. The last time the ending of an anime bothered me anywhere near this much was with Suzumiya Haruhi, although this is, by far, worse than that. I really don't know how to deal with it. I'm watching Clannad, and it's not really helping me much, haha, as you can imagine. Also, I've gotten Kanon and Air and Welcome to the N.H.K. and I have a feeling that I'm going to get super depressed. I want some more animes that are like Clannad and ToraDora! though. Is there anything that has those great heartwarming moments that make you want to cry? I'm not one for tragedy, but if you guys have some sweet romantic tragedies as well, I'll take them. I just really want to watch some of these sweet (as in heartwarming) animes. I only hope that it will help my depression, even though I know that it really won't. Oh, well!

Oh, my. It's turned into a request thread :O
Glad you found my view relatable. There's so many good anime out there, I don't know where to start, haha. I have a list of anime I haven't even gotten to yet, haha. Off the top of my head, if you're looking for a good romance anime, I would suggest you check out Rumbling Hearts, Shuffle, Ichigo 100%, Amagami seasons 1 and 2 has plenty of heart wrenching moments and it's w/ several girls so you can get your fix of one romance taking place and then watch an all new one a few episodes later (I highly recommend this one), and I think you'd also enjoy hoshizora e kakaru hashi. Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head that I think you'd enjoy based on your selection of romance animes.

As a side note, I haven't watched Clannad and I'm not sure I will. So many people have said that it's amazing, but just by the look of the females, I can't get into it. Most of the females look like the same girl w/ different hair color; I like them to look unique and have more of a mature look as well. I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but when I watch a romance anime, I live vicariously through the male lead and so if the female leads aren't what I find attractive, I just can't become emotionally attached to the anime. They may have great personalities, but their looks also have to be appealing to me.
Anime-fan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 12:56   Link #42
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I think its more akin to the feeling you get when you leave a job you liked or a school, move away from a group of friends.

You got used to entering that world once a week, you got attached to the characters -- and now you're "on the road again". There's a natural bit of melancholy with the realization that life is full of transient moments
I think for me Vexx describes the feeling the best. It's not so much a feeling of depression but yes I do feel sad when a favorite series ends. If I loved the characters and world so much it is always a little hard to say goodbye.

At the same time the best series usually leave me with both a feeling of happiness & sadness. Sadness that they ended but happiness that they ended in a fulfilling way. For example Fullmetal Alchemist has been one of my favorite series for a very long time. Yes I do miss it and I am a little sad that I no longer have to wait for that monthly chapter but for me at least the ending was so wonderfully satisfying that thinking about the series leaves me with a feeling of happiness. I am glad that I followed this series for so many years, it was well worth it.

What's far worse for me is when an anime I love ends (with the manga or light novels ongoing) but I don't know if there will be a 2nd season & the said manga or light novels might not be translated.

This is a lot worse for me than when a series ends with a true ending because I know there is more out there but it's out of reach for me (recent examples of this is stuff like Chihayafuru & Ikoku no Meiro Croisee).

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2012-03-25 at 14:13.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 13:10   Link #43
Anime-fan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post

What's far worse for me is when an anime I love ends (with the manga or light novels ongoing) but I don't know if there will be a 2nd season & the said manga or light novels might not be translated.

This is a lot worse for me than when a series ends with a true ending because I know there is more out there but it out of reach for me (recent examples of this is stuff like Chihayafuru & Ikoku no Meiro Croisee).
I don't like when anime I love ends and the manga continues either; I'd rather everything end at the same time and have the anime and manga be identical, if not very similar.
Anime-fan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 16:11   Link #44
BLAM
Loner

I have this exact feeling now that I've finished Nisemonogatari ( I even rewatched it ) and Spice & Wolf. I think it's the romances that do this to me, nothing else, and it leaves me feeling pretty lonely, hah.
BLAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 16:30   Link #45
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Little Busters will be added to the list once it comes out. It just seems to be the nature of Key.
Old 2012-04-03, 20:47   Link #46
NonExstX
Sub Human Reject

Quote:
I think its more akin to the feeling you get when you leave a job you liked or a school, move away from a group of friends.

You got used to entering that world once a week, you got attached to the characters -- and now you're "on the road again". There's a natural bit of melancholy with the realization that life is full of transient moments
Amen.

I'm not as well versed in anime as many i see posting here but for most of the series I've seen it is kind of like saddening because the journey is over.
Like the summer as a kid or a long vacation as an adult.
It is like the happy part of your soul is dying.
Old 2012-04-03, 20:50   Link #47
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonExstX View Post
I'm not as well versed in anime as many i see posting here but for most of the series I've seen it is kind of like saddening because the journey is over.
It's probably one reason why I'm delaying my viewing of Disappearance (Haruhi). After finishing that movie, I already know that there won't be any more Haruhi left...
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 21:12   Link #48
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

"...more Haruhi left"....yet.

There is room for more Haruhi.
Old 2012-04-03, 22:03   Link #49
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
"...more Haruhi left"....yet.

There is room for more Haruhi.
While true... doesn't guarantee further animated production...
Old 2012-04-03, 22:23   Link #50
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Air, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Wolf's Rain, and Kowarekake no Orgel left me depressed for days. It's sad because everything lead to a tragedy and no one deserved the fate that was given to them.

It's really sad.
Old 2012-04-03, 22:56   Link #51
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I'm pretty sure that a very similar thread was created before, and I wouldn't be surprised if many more existed. Also, as you can see from the replies here, you're definitely not alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
As a much older person, it still exists; but yea, it's certainly not as strong as it used to be.
I feel similarly. On one hand I'm tempted to say that it's because I've now seen enough series that newer ones don't leave as much of an impact, but I think it has more to do with how your life changes as you age. I used to have tons of time and attention to get absorbed in anime, and I'd often be thinking about series or characters throughout my days. These days (and for the past few years) I don't really think about a series for more than a few minutes after I finish an episode. I'm not as immersed in it, and as a result the endings don't feel like they take quite as much out of me.

Quote:

Someone in the other discussion thread gave a similar analogy, drawing a parallel to leaving a country and saying goodbye to your friends. I really liked that analogy.

In the case of anime, you can always re-watch a series, but it's not the same. It's like looking at photos or watching videos of your friends; there's enjoyment, but it's in the past. You know what's going to happen, and there's no "life" to it.

Why is anime so immersive compared to many other entertainment forms? I think it has to do with the way that the interesting plots are balanced with amusing characters and character interactions. Those types of stories and characters may not appeal to everyone, but if you're an anime fan, they likely appeal to and connect with you. That all makes it more meaningful to you, and so it's like a painful parting when a series comes to an end. You're leaving the world and its characters behind, and in most cases, you can never return to them (sequels can provide an exception).

It's a sad feeling, but I also think that it's beautiful. I found anime to be unique and delightful for a variety of reasons, but that feeling of such sorrow at the end of many series was really impressive to me. That feeling isn't exactly pleasant, but it's a nice sensation to experience every now and then.
Old 2012-04-04, 00:43   Link #52
HasuMasu
*Artist

Manga tends to affect me about the same way anime does, games I don't think I've experienced this with games.
Old 2012-04-04, 01:17   Link #53
leokiko

It happens to me sometimes, I normally stop watching anime for a while because I get too overwhelmed by the anime that just ended. Steins;Gate is one I can remember right away.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-04, 03:04   Link #54
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
It's probably one reason why I'm delaying my viewing of Disappearance (Haruhi). After finishing that movie, I already know that there won't be any more Haruhi left...
Do yourself a favour and don't delay it for such a reason.

You're already depressed about it possibly being the last. It's better to end on a bittersweet note than distance yourself from an amazing movie for so long, drowning in false hope (- considering the worst case scenario).
Old 2012-04-04, 03:44   Link #55
Rethice
Kingslayer

Send a message via AIM to Rethice Send a message via MSN to Rethice
You become jaded to it over time. I did.

When I finished Mahoromatic, my very first anime, I was depressed for at least 2 weeks afterwards, easily comparable to the first time I was dumped by an ex.

However, now I watch it almost 8 years later and I laugh at myself for taking an ecchi-comedy's drama so seriously.
Old 2012-04-04, 03:48   Link #56
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Pretty much any series where I really was attached to the characters and disliked how it ended.

Notable examples from my recent anime history;

Darker than Black
Angel Beats!
Guilty Crown
Now and Then, Here and There - Oh man, this story still gets me down at times.

And probably the biggest sucker punch for me isn't an anime. Muv-Luv Alternative gets the honour of flooring me every damn time.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-04, 05:15   Link #57
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
This is how I felt after the end of ME3.
Old 2012-04-04, 07:14   Link #58
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

It only happens to me when I am watching an anime that I myself is emotionally involved-the anime will have to have strong character development. Clannad is a good example. From the first episode, I saw how Tomoya slowly changes. In a way, I am accompanying him in his journey to fill the emptiness in his heart. When I finished watching, it felt as if my role has come to an end. That is sad, if you think it that way, because as the audience, I have been with Tomoya in his ups and downs. It's like watching a friend. Sorry, I must sound really looney right now!

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-04, 16:08   Link #59
Kyuu
=^^=

I'd have to say: it's better to feel sad about getting to the end of a series... rather than feeling angry and/or disappointed.
Old 2012-04-04, 18:12   Link #60
Echoes

Quote:
I'd have to say: it's better to feel sad about getting to the end of a series... rather than feeling angry and/or disappointed.
It certainly is. It meant you felt something, and that's wonderful.

S'better to have loved and lost, as they say.