AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-10-27, 04:47   Link #321
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Other topic: I had enough without gadgets, so I decided to install this thing http://8gadgetpack.bplaced.net/ . Seems to be working, neither Bitdefender nor Malwarebytes kicked in so I take it it's safe. We can finally start working...
Old 2012-10-27, 08:30   Link #322
Random32
Also a Lolicon

On the topic of AntiVirus. Windows 8 has Windows Defender built in, according to MS, it's basically MSE. Not the best, but it's a perfectly workable, free, and not-annoying-you-with-ads-to-buy-full-version solution.

Also, if you want to install a different AV, you should probably turn it off or something to avoid conflicts.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-27, 14:07   Link #323
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'll have to concede, Avast's recent adware bloat is starting to irritate me.
Old 2012-10-27, 14:15   Link #324
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'll have to concede, Avast's recent adware bloat is starting to irritate me.
I didn't really mind. It mostly stayed inside the AV, it popped up sometimes along with the updates, but it does a good job, so I didn't care much and it's not really intrusive. I can't use it in any case. And I had to drop both Bitdefender and Malwarebytes and go with Panda Cloud, as I was getting random Windows freezes without bsods, so I thought the number 1 culprit could be one of them. So far it's ok.
Old 2012-10-27, 16:25   Link #325
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

quick Q on Rt

Can it run IE 8?
Old 2012-10-27, 16:31   Link #326
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
quick Q on Rt

Can it run IE 8?
It can't run desktop applications afaik so I doubt there's a way to make it run IE 8 since it'll already have IE 10 by default. If it's gonna run Metro apps only, I doubt anyone would create a Metro style IE 8 app xP
Old 2012-10-27, 17:46   Link #327
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Businesses that run custom apps on Outlook/IE/Office will have to really closely vet this puppy ... they just love spending money on revalidation
Old 2012-10-27, 17:51   Link #328
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Businesses that run custom apps on Outlook/IE/Office will have to really closely vet this puppy ... they just love spending money on revalidation
Windows RT tablets include Word, Excel, Powerpoint and OneNote but not Outlook or Access, because they aren't intended for business use. You're supposed to buy X86 Windows 8 for business. In fact, the license for Office apps bundled with RT is for non-commercial use only.

...You think I'm kidding about the last part, don't you?

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-27, 17:54   Link #329
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Windows RT tablets include Word, Excel, Powerpoint and OneNote but not Outlook or Access, because they aren't intended for business use. You're supposed to buy X86 Windows 8 for business. In fact, the license for Office apps bundled with RT is for non-commercial use only.

heh, no -- but I also know that businesses are made up of people who don't read the fine print and then want me to make it work. A lot of businesses really like the tablet idea for warehouse use, medical apps, field use, etc.
Old 2012-10-27, 18:48   Link #330
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

So I can upgrade to windows 8 pro for $40 but I want to know if I can perform a clean install of the OS with the same software. Can I download the image and burn it then perform clean installs as much as I want? Or is it just a one time upgrade from a previous windows version?
Old 2012-10-27, 21:26   Link #331
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post

Businesses apparently have a way to use it commercially, according to the FAQ.
Quote:
As sold, Office Home & Student 2013 RT Preview and the final edition are not designed for commercial, nonprofit, or revenue-generating activities. However, organizations who purchase commercial use rights or have a commercial license to Office 2013 suites can use Office Home & Student 2013 RT for commercial, nonprofit, or revenue-generating activities..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
So I can upgrade to windows 8 pro for $40 but I want to know if I can perform a clean install of the OS with the same software. Can I download the image and burn it then perform clean installs as much as I want? Or is it just a one time upgrade from a previous windows version?
From what I've been reading recently on the internet, it seems you can do clean install as much as you want, and even transfer the license/OS to a different computer. However, there must always be a qualified OS installed on the computer when you're installing Windows 8. If you want to do a clean install without having any qualified OS installed, then you'd have to use the system builder version of Windows 8. To do a clean install, you boot from the install media, and once the installer detects that a qualified OS is installed, you have the option to format and proceed to clean install.

* I'm not entirely sure about the part in bold, but it seems to be the case.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 00:58   Link #332
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
Yes, you can do a clean install (as far as I'm aware). And it's easier to do in Windows 8 thanks to the new Refresh and Reset features, which you can access from the Settings Win8 app:

Old 2012-10-28, 05:03   Link #333
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
From what I've been reading recently on the internet, it seems you can do clean install as much as you want, and even transfer the license/OS to a different computer. However, there must always be a qualified OS installed on the computer when you're installing Windows 8. If you want to do a clean install without having any qualified OS installed, then you'd have to use the system builder version of Windows 8. To do a clean install, you boot from the install media, and once the installer detects that a qualified OS is installed, you have the option to format and proceed to clean install.

* I'm not entirely sure about the part in bold, but it seems to be the case.
Someone posted this thing on another forum. He said that he did a totally clean install, but as he expected, the key wouldn't activate. Turns out he found a workaround online and had his key activated. You supposedly regedit, go into "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE" and change "MediaBootInstall" from "1" to "0" . You then open cmd as admin and use "slmgr /rearm", ok and restart, and it's supposedly activated.

Not sure if it really works, but it should. I did a clean install but I had Windows installed on the partition before telling it to erase it, so I'm not sure if Windows actually checked beforehand, but I had no problem activating... Then again, that was my second installation :P
Old 2012-10-28, 07:55   Link #334
Random32
Also a Lolicon

If you have Windows 8 Pro (or intend to ever upgrade to it), right now Media Center is free.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w.../feature-packs

Might as well get an update key or two before time runs out.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 10:24   Link #335
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

So productivity wise, better or worse? (at this point)
Old 2012-10-28, 12:10   Link #336
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
I would say that windows 8 is more consumption oriented than productivity oriented.
Old 2012-10-28, 15:32   Link #337
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
If you meant what kind of apps you can use, then Windows 8 is better productivity-wise than Windows 7, barring those apps that do not correctly run in Windows 8.

If you meant interface-wise, then that depends on whether you can adjust to it. For those who can, Windows 8 should be the same, if not better, productivity-wise than Windows 7.

There are also the technical improvements that Windows 8 have over Windows 7, which may help in productivity.

That's why the only real way to know if it will make you more productive is to try it yourself.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 20:54   Link #338
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It also depends on whether one means "business productive" or "academic productive" or "more efficient for the consumer lifestyle".

If your business depends on an app that Win8 doesn't support properly - your productivity is going to be less

For what I do, it looks very problematic. For what my wife does and for the home media center, it may be nice (moving towards the 'just works' mantra of a consumer appliance).
Old 2012-10-29, 00:54   Link #339
Alchemist007
*Author

It just feels like a 'casualization' of an OS. I get that might be a smart move with most (casual) users but it just sounds like another hurdle to go through for someone like me who likes to see a little bit more past the pretty windows and pushable buttons. I haven't tried Win8 yet so I can't hate on it with proper regard, but it certainly doesn't sound like something I'll be upgrading to, especially from the reviews I've heard so far.
Old 2012-10-29, 07:05   Link #340
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Toolbox for Windows 8

Quote:
Toolbox is designed to bring unparalleled productivity enhancement to the Windows 8 platform. With Toolbox, you can view and interact with up to 6 different tools at once, giving you the power and flexibility to customize your workspace for maximum productivity.
http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/en-...b-db71bd9110ba

seem rather neat

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote