AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-01-26, 13:09   Link #41
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
I meant make it work as in make some sort of resemblance of a movie... Note how I said "and ruin it in the process" right after.
Ah, right right.

Still. Considering all the difficulties in trying to adapt some of these anime (notably Evangelion), I really don't understand why they don't just try going for more original productions. It's not like Evangelion is some kind of household name in the west. It'd be about as recognizable once it hits theater as about any other original movie. Plus? The people most likely to be already familiar with it are the MOST likely to be aggravated in your attempts to make it appeal to a larger demographic.

It just confuses me.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 13:38   Link #42
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Ah, right right.

Still. Considering all the difficulties in trying to adapt some of these anime (notably Evangelion), I really don't understand why they don't just try going for more original productions. It's not like Evangelion is some kind of household name in the west. It'd be about as recognizable once it hits theater as about any other original movie. Plus? The people most likely to be already familiar with it are the MOST likely to be aggravated in your attempts to make it appeal to a larger demographic.

It just confuses me.
I concur.
Why not just adapt the ideas to an entirely new project.
An American version of an "Eva" type story would not irritate fans of Evangelion provided it is far enough removed not to look like a "rip off."
Robotech is a sore spot with many anime fans as it is, making a live action version of it seems like reopening a wound and pouring salt in it.
Old 2013-01-26, 13:40   Link #43
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Ah, right right.

It just confuses me.
They're mostly going for brand recognition, since if they can get the brand familiar enough to the masses, then they're banking on them getting more bang for their buck on the already existing franchise.

Then again, yes they do need to go for more original name productions. I mean, look at Pacific Rim.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 13:44   Link #44
Kudryavka

Everyone who's blaming Hollywood for scouring for unadaptable titles because it's run out of ideas?

Lets keep in mind that its the original creators of these works who wanted the movies in the first place? Gainax was the first to suggest the idea of an Eva movie about a decade ago.

Quote:
Ah, right right.

It just confuses me.
Its not about whos familiar with it. The directors of these kinds of high action movies couldnt care less about catering to existing fans, unless there are a whole lot of them (Im talking Star Wars or Harry Potter levels. Not the case here with Robotech, Eva and FMP). The point of the movie is to bring the masses, people who may not be familiar with the franchises already, and to do this theyre gonna change the movie to make it more accessible to a mainstream audience of whatever country its made in. For example, in the Eva Hollywood movie, Ill bet my bottom dollar that theyre gonna make Shinji less whiny. For whatever reason a lot of ppl in USA think male leads with actual emotions are undesirable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
Robotech is a sore spot with many anime fans as it is, making a live action version of it seems like reopening a wound and pouring salt in it.
Unfortunately HG doesnt care about you or any other fans of actual Macross. I wish it werent so, but look at all the idiocy theyve caused over Macross.

But your point does get me thinking that at this point, years and years after Robotech ended, there should be more Macross fans than Robotech, right? So this movie is gonna have to pander to the lowest common denominator or else its gonna bomb big time. Which would be great, maybe thatd bring HG into 21st century so theyd understand that Robotech is *dead*, and bitching at Big West and Macross is a big waste of time because of that.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 14:22   Link #45
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Then again, yes they do need to go for more original name productions. I mean, look at Pacific Rim.
It's not only the name. I wish some of that 200 million production cost had gone in to mecha design. The giant robots look some kind of Gobot rejects
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 16:51   Link #46
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Unfortunately HG doesnt care about you or any other fans of actual Macross. I wish it werent so, but look at all the idiocy theyve caused over Macross.

But your point does get me thinking that at this point, years and years after Robotech ended, there should be more Macross fans than Robotech, right? So this movie is gonna have to pander to the lowest common denominator or else its gonna bomb big time. Which would be great, maybe thatd bring HG into 21st century so theyd understand that Robotech is *dead*, and bitching at Big West and Macross is a big waste of time because of that.
Yes I know you are right.
Some of us who grew up with Robotech, but got sucked into Macross (thanks to Macross II) really thought that Robotech would "die" after the 1980s.
Macross Plus created a whole new fanbase because it was/is an awesome anime IMHO and helped boost the Macross name brand.
M7....well, I'll not rant about that since it was part of some weirdness of the 1990s I don't understand (G Gundam...ooh, it hurt).

However, it is sad to me that Zero, and Frontier (both of which were awesome IMHO) didn't make it to North America because of Robotech.

Last edited by GundamFan0083; 2013-01-26 at 17:25.
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 17:12   Link #47
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
They're mostly going for brand recognition, since if they can get the brand familiar enough to the masses, then they're banking on them getting more bang for their buck on the already existing franchise.
See, that's the thing that doesn't make sense to me. I don't think something like Evangelion or Full Metal Panic has very much brand recognition among the general movie going public. Does the western fanbase of Evangelion or Full Metal Panic really matter when it comes to calculating the amount of money that 100-200 million big budget sci-fi movie needs to bring in to make money?
Quote:
Its not about whos familiar with it. The directors of these kinds of high action movies couldnt care less about catering to existing fans, unless there are a whole lot of them (Im talking Star Wars or Harry Potter levels. Not the case here with Robotech, Eva and FMP). The point of the movie is to bring the masses, people who may not be familiar with the franchises already, and to do this theyre gonna change the movie to make it more accessible to a mainstream audience of whatever country its made in. For example, in the Eva Hollywood movie, Ill bet my bottom dollar that theyre gonna make Shinji less whiny. For whatever reason a lot of ppl in USA think male leads with actual emotions are undesirable.
But that's my exact point. If the name recognition for a franchise is already nonexistant like that, then what's the point of using the name? Why not just go for any number of original movies?

It's like there's something schizophrenic about how Hollywood operates nowadays. The executives seem to think that they absolutely need to make everything a remake or an adaption in preproduction, but when they actually go to the meat of actually making a movie they suddenly seem to remember that the original brand recognition is irrelevant.

I think I can say as a somewhat logical human being (as opposed to an anime fanboy) that what they're doing doesn't make any sense.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 17:21   Link #48
Kudryavka

Quote:
It's like there's something schizophrenic about how Hollywood operates nowadays. The executives seem to think that they absolutely need to make everything a remake or an adaption in preproduction, but when they actually go to the meat of actually making a movie they suddenly seem to remember that the original brand recognition is irrelevant.

I think I can say as a somewhat logical human being (as opposed to an anime fanboy) that what they're doing doesn't make any sense.
I understand you, and I also dont get why Hollywood has been doing that lately.

But in the case of HG, this is them trying to revive Robotech for the new generation, so theyre gonna make a movie with little resembance to Robotech, yet call it Robotech.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 17:40   Link #49
Bri

Quote:

Same as superhero movies? When one became a success, other studios tried to follow on the momentum. When Batman, Spiderman, Superman and X-men were covered they went on to the B and C list heroes. I doubt Iron Man or Thor had a massive following before those became movies.

Transformers has been a hit, so now Hollywood execs are looking at other robot IPs they can scavenge.

Original stories are hard to find. It's probably easier just to rework something existing and proven to suit one's needs.
Old 2013-01-26, 18:18   Link #50
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Warner Bros. Pictures apparently has found a director to direct it: Nic Mathieu.
Check out this clip.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/vid...mercial-329700

I think this guy has the touch. Just give him enough budget!
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 20:30   Link #51
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Wait, Robotech into a hollywood movie?

...I can't find a /facepalm epic enough to describe my initial thought
Old 2013-01-27, 01:01   Link #52
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightbatŪ View Post
Wait, Robotech into a hollywood movie?

...I can't find a /facepalm epic enough to describe my initial thought
LMFAO!

I know, you'd think that after nearly thirty years (Robotech came out in 84 or 85?), that HG would have been able to create something entirely new.
How many new Macross series, movies, games, and merchandise has there been over that time?

I really wish HG would just let go of the Macross title and remake the first portion of their show to exclude Macross.
Honestly, if the Chinses can come up with their own (more or less original) version of Macross, you'd think HG could?

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and this show doesn't look THAT bad for kids.
Old 2013-01-27, 03:45   Link #53
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
See, that's the thing that doesn't make sense to me. I don't think something like Evangelion or Full Metal Panic has very much brand recognition among the general movie going public. Does the western fanbase of Evangelion or Full Metal Panic really matter when it comes to calculating the amount of money that 100-200 million big budget sci-fi movie needs to bring in to make money?
You misunderstood my point: The brand recognition comes AFTER the movie has introduced the basics of the franchise, not before. Very much what Kudryavka said.

It's very much like introducing someone to classic novels by introducing them to the movie adaptation: vividly introduce the image and gist of the story into their heads so that they'll become interested in the original source. Whether they succeed or not depends on how well the movie is done of course

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 12:53   Link #54
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Ahh Harmony Gold. They were responsible for getting me interested in anime all those years ago, and I thank them for that. However, that's about the only good deed they ever did. They are a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

That being said, I can't imagine a live action Robotech being worthy of screentime. I know several self-made shorts have been made and a couple of them have been halfway decent, but I'm not holding my breath for any full length movie to actually be any good.

Endless "Original fanboy" Soul
Old 2013-01-27, 19:04   Link #55
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
LMFAO!

I know, you'd think that after nearly thirty years (Robotech came out in 84 or 85?), that HG would have been able to create something entirely new.
How many new Macross series, movies, games, and merchandise has there been over that time?
No, I actually thought HG finally let RT die a painless death and scattered it's ashes in the past where it belongs
realising the only thing they could make of it was a monstrousity that would have to be taken out of its misery anyway

...How wrong of me to think like that
Old 2013-01-30, 05:27   Link #56
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

A theatrical adaptation of the Macross saga doesn't offend me.
But possible refreshing of th Robotech franchise license by HG does, since it's the main source of rights conflict that's hindering overseas development of the Macross franchise as a whole.
Old 2013-01-30, 09:15   Link #57
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
A theatrical adaptation of the Macross saga doesn't offend me.
But possible refreshing of th Robotech franchise license by HG does, since it's the main source of rights conflict that's hindering overseas development of the Macross franchise as a whole.
Are you sure? Suppose HG loses the license, the rights would still be in the hands of the licensor Tatsunoko. As far as I know it's the bad blood between Tasunoko and Big West that fuels the conflict.
Old 2013-01-30, 13:51   Link #58
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Are you sure? Suppose HG loses the license, the rights would still be in the hands of the licensor Tatsunoko. As far as I know it's the bad blood between Tasunoko and Big West that fuels the conflict.
Still, one would think Tatsunoko would've found someone better to interpret their licence?

But, what I gathered there only is a problem in regional sales, AFAIK all designs belong to Big West
Which would make me wonder how HG can make a new RT series without copyright infringement
Old 2013-01-30, 14:01   Link #59
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post

........what.......robo...!? I didn't even like the original anime....it was very boring. :[

No.
Hollywood, STOP.

What is this I don't even.....
It's hard to fuck up a war movie with transforming jets when Michael Bay isn't attached to it
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 15:17   Link #60
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightbatŪ View Post
Which would make me wonder how HG can make a new RT series without copyright infringement
Same way they've done the RT sequels. They created new designs for the Macross cast while retaining their English names. For the rest they used Southern Cross and Mospeada mecha and characters and the Invid as the main enemy.

And to be fair, even though it's not Macross, the Legios design still looks better than anything Bayformers put out.