AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-11, 10:34   Link #1
Mcdonalds

DVD's - Editing?

Sorry if this sounds a like a silly question, but i was wondering as i have not watched a fansubbed series on a dvd or vice versa as it is already licensed, but do they present the anime form (With jap voices and subtitles of course!) totally unedited, or do they edit parts out if they find it too violent? and if they do do they release 2 copies, one unedited and one edited?

Edit:

If it has been edited, will the consumer be informed of this on the dvd?

Last edited by Mcdonalds; 2004-05-11 at 11:14. Reason: Another query
Old 2004-05-11, 10:46   Link #2
Za Paper

In America, they almost always release anime in its original unedited format with the Japanese track and subtitles.
Old 2004-05-11, 10:56   Link #3
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
If you want to keep a good unedited uncut copy get the fansub

USA release studios tend to cut some parts on the movie or episodes to delay or
destroy the japanese market in America, and to make more sales of their own animation

for instance
cardcaptors
they destroyed and raped the plot of the original series subbed by us in the 1990's

tokyo mew mew etc
..another series .. they even changed the name of the series ^_^
Old 2004-05-11, 11:03   Link #4
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
4kids, DiC, and Nelvana are all abberations.

At least DiC and Nelvana have permitted unedited subbed (even dubbed) releases of their titles (Saint Seiya, Cardcaptor Sakura.)

4kids is the odd one out since they don't do anything of the sort.

The majority of US licensors do not alter their DVD releases in any way, shape, or form. ADV, Bandai, Funimation, Geneon, none of them release edited dvds, with the extreme majority including Japanese audio and English subtitles (the cases against this are few and far between and have noted causes.) A fair number of people on this forum will exaggerate the prevalence of editing and censorship to make themselves look better, so be warned.
Old 2004-05-11, 11:12   Link #5
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
Cardcaptor dubbed truly sucked
Old 2004-05-11, 11:14   Link #6
microlith

Well of course, it was a rewrite. The only GOOD version is Geneon's Cardcaptor Sakura and that has no dub.
Old 2004-05-11, 11:19   Link #7
method

Most of the editing that occurs is in the dubs created by studios. Usually in the form of toned down language or some name changes like in G gundam. However is pointed by Microlith these examples are few and far between.
Old 2004-05-11, 12:23   Link #8
Chris Beveridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by method
Most of the editing that occurs is in the dubs created by studios. Usually in the form of toned down language or some name changes like in G gundam. However is pointed by Microlith these examples are few and far between.
If anything, there's been a "toning up" of language. Saiyuki pushed the already blatant homoeroticism up a few notches in the dub while in Abenobashi episode #12, man, the dub completely overdid it with the elvis/tarantino character by doubling the number of fucks he said.

But again, dub quality will vary company by company and many many times within a company as most of them outsource to different dubbing houses for different shows, or in the case of ADV, where they have 12+ dubbing studios now, each has its own set of standards and practices.
Old 2004-05-11, 13:12   Link #9
Mcdonalds

sorry to the people who have already posted and answered my question, i should have been more specific. When i mean by editing, to they edit the actual phrases in japanese so that they are less violent etc, and also do they edit the scenes. I'm only interested in the subbing side as i prefer subbing over dubbing
Old 2004-05-11, 13:19   Link #10
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

another thing about turning up the content: Steel Angel Kurumi, when Karinka is pissed off and pacing and cursing, in the japanese version her language is semi light...
in the dub...well i call her "Sailor Karinka" (NOT like "Sailor Moon"...but like REAL sailors)
oh yes, and DVD releases are NEVER edited (only exception are edited audio tracks...but all dubs can be considered edited -_-)
the actual edits that everyone pisses and moans about are the ones on TV
TV has a TON more rules for broadcast than DVDs do

BTW, stuff on the animenetwork or International Channel are NOT edited
Old 2004-05-11, 13:21   Link #11
microlith

Quote:
sorry to the people who have already posted and answered my question, i should have been more specific. When i mean by editing, to they edit the actual phrases in japanese so that they are less violent etc, and also do they edit the scenes. I'm only interested in the subbing side as i prefer subbing over dubbing
Most normal studios don't edit anything. I can't think of a DVD in recent memory from the companies I listed above (ADV, Bandai, etc.) that was ever edited. Subs are usually as close to literal as you can get and still make sense.
Old 2004-05-11, 23:24   Link #12
Suikun

Erm... two exceptions (that I've heard of):
ADV's release of Sailor Moon (Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R)
TokyoPop's Initial D

I've heard that both of those have toned-down subtitles in some areas, lightening dialogue that should be... um... heavier...

But, I don't understand enough Japanese yet to verify this in Sailor Moon (which I do own) and I don't own nor have I seen Initial D - so this may be a fanboyish exaggeration.

Either way, when your choice is the subtitled Japanese version, 99% of the time you're going to get the real deal, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 2004-05-12, 00:34   Link #13
hentai_wolf
Vivisectionist VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Beveridge
If anything, there's been a "toning up" of language. Saiyuki pushed the already blatant homoeroticism up a few notches in the dub while in Abenobashi episode #12, man, the dub completely overdid it with the elvis/tarantino character by doubling the number of fucks he said.
Didn't they match all the "fucks" to the spit-spray caused by the fricatives? At least I remember them talking about that in the commentary.
Old 2004-05-12, 09:58   Link #14
BanditKing

The only three series that I heard been tone down in subtitle.

TokyoPop's Initial D
AN's Omishi Magical Theater Risky Safety
and Media Blasters's Kenshin
Old 2004-05-12, 10:01   Link #15
Chris Beveridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hentai_wolf
Didn't they match all the "fucks" to the spit-spray caused by the fricatives? At least I remember them talking about that in the commentary.
I didn't get a chance to listen to the commentary but you're right. What I think it is, in perception to me, is that they're much more pronounced in the English version than the Japanese so it stands out even more.
Closed Thread