AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Eden of the East

Notices

View Poll Results: Eden of the East - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 21 20.59%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 48 47.06%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 20.59%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 8.82%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.96%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.98%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-24, 11:26   Link #21
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolcat3 View Post
Hey does anyone know who IV sent that text message too?
he sent it to his lover/girlfriend, but somehow it ended forwarded to his wife.

Last edited by golthin; 2009-04-24 at 11:58.
Old 2009-04-24, 11:30   Link #22
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolcat3 View Post
I'm gonna go with a guess and say the person Saki likes is her sisters husband.
I thought so myself... but I wasn't brave enough to bring it up.
Old 2009-04-24, 11:47   Link #23
BlackDove
Unheard

I came.

The episodes are amazing. The info dump is just about the same as in GitS, only far more condensed and the topic.

Fantastic show.
Old 2009-04-24, 12:17   Link #24
aorta

Was the movie a reference to Le grand bleu?
Old 2009-04-24, 12:25   Link #25
Grif

Quote:
Originally Posted by cereal_killerxx View Post
Wow, what a spectacular episode! xD

Things I learned while watching this episode:

Spoiler for Episode 3:
Best moments ^^.

We have some more answers now though which is nice. I really cannot wait for the next episode. Only one thing worries me.

This series has a lot of depth, but will they be able to explain everything properly in 11 episodes? I mean, there is a planned movie aswell... but i really think this has the potential to be slightly longer.
Old 2009-04-24, 12:48   Link #26
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
he sent it to his lover/girlfriend, but somehow it ended forwarded to his wife.
Before he dies, he realizes that it was the Supporter, not IX, that tried to kill the NEETS, and also that the Supporter was the one who rerouted the message to his wife as the method of killing him.
Old 2009-04-24, 12:57   Link #27
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobertbaker View Post
Before he dies, he realizes that it was the Supporter, not IX, that tried to kill the NEETS, and also that the Supporter was the one who rerouted the message to his wife as the method of killing him.
I think he just thought that Akira is the Supporter (or is related to him somehow), since nobody knows the Supporter's identity anyway.
Old 2009-04-24, 13:14   Link #28
cereal_killerxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grif View Post
Best moments ^^.

We have some more answers now though which is nice. I really cannot wait for the next episode. Only one thing worries me.

This series has a lot of depth, but will they be able to explain everything properly in 11 episodes? I mean, there is a planned movie aswell... but i really think this has the potential to be slightly longer.
I think that is a good thing though. We don't have to worry about any filler and they don't seem to waste any time with character development.

Is it just me or is that Oasis song better everytime you listen to it?
Old 2009-04-24, 13:18   Link #29
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

1. I'm still not sure the NEETs are dead. Only one person (actually no-one, whoops) was killed on Careless Monday, we were told.

2. Yeah, I guess Saki could have already gone to look for Akira. Possibly he was already gone by the time she looked. I think they may have intentionally showed scenes out of chronological order.

3. Ryousuke, for sure. Nice touch.

4. Dog still well fed because she (?) had huge supply of food...which just ran out.

5. The student pals are an interesting bunch. Especially the programmer. Nice timing on her last line. Oosugi's rosy cheeks are a weird but memorable touch.

6. Call her, Akira!

7. How come Akira chose the passport that was actually his? Or did he? The photo makes it seem he did, but is that for sure?

8. @wao -- Spoilers not needed in individual episode threads. (I just included one in my earlier post because I moved the post over holus-bolus from the old general thread.)

9. @cerealkillerxx -- Getting better with each hearing is a sign of good music. I love the OP every time I hear it, too.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-04-24 at 15:39.
Old 2009-04-24, 13:27   Link #30
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
1. Only one person was killed on Careless Monday, we were told.
When was that said? I thought it was stated that no one died on Careless Monday.

Quote:
2. Yeah, I guess Saki could have already gone to look for Akira. Possibly he was already gone by the time she looked. I think they may have intentionally showed scenes out of chronological order.
All the scenes are in chronological order, I think. Note that when Saki left, she gave the note to the dog, which in turn handed the note to Akira when the latter was waking up.

Quote:
6. Call her, Akira!
Definitely, damn it!! I just don't enjoy the show as much if I don't get my Saki/Akira interaction fix lol.
Old 2009-04-24, 13:34   Link #31
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

For the interest of fanatics only:

The movie "The Cold Blue" does not exist. Microscopic examination of the poster reveals:

Twentieth Century Pictures presents Duke Break's "The Cold Blue"
Starring
Matthew Modine
Adam Baldwin
Vincent D'Onofrio
Lee Ermey
Dorian Harewood
Arliss Howard
Kevin Major Howard
Produced by Philip Hobbs
Written by Gustav Hasford
Screenplay by Michel Herr

Duke Break does not exist. The rest of the staff on this movie is the staff of Full Metal Jacket, Stanley Kubrick's 1987 Vietnam War movie.

But they probably do mean Le Grand Bleu and just copied the poster from someplace else.

Last edited by drobertbaker; 2009-04-24 at 13:50.
Old 2009-04-24, 14:13   Link #32
aorta

Quote:

But they probably do mean Le Grand Bleu and just copied the poster from someplace else.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE5NP91y_Ew

Yep basically the same music and opening shot
Old 2009-04-24, 14:39   Link #33
teelotes
·¥äkítðrý·

Just a minor gripe about the episode.

From my old school days when we often used the school hall, they had lighting similar to those that are seen in warehouses, and the shopping mall in this episode. Those lights don't just burst into brightness with a loud thud of the switch. They turn on into a dim fuzzy light, and take a few minutes to brighten up.

I think this is just one of the cliches that movies usually use to provide impact after suspense, but that's not how it works in real life.
Old 2009-04-24, 15:38   Link #34
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
That's the impression I got too. Now the question is why would "The Supporter" take out the NEETS? That doesn't really seem to match his/her/their job description. One thing I love about the show so far is how it seems to answer a bunch of questions, but at the same time, raise just as many in its place. Very compelling episode.

Old 2009-04-24, 15:42   Link #35
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Kazu-kun is right to correct a couple of things I said: no-one is supposed to have died on Careless Monday, and the scenes are in chronological order. Unfortunately, that means that Saki never went up to the projection booth to look for Akira. Not reasonable.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2009-04-24, 15:44   Link #36
maxpepper

IV says that they were forced to become Seleção. What I'm interested in is what kind of people were they before they became a Seleção? For example a normal everyday Joe blackmailed into it because they threatened to kill a family member or dirty Cop with too many dark secrets.

Right now we don't know what happened with the 20 thousand kidnapped NEETS. IV says the were blown up, we do know Akira at least had something to do with it. IV mentions the possibility of the 'supporter' being behind both the NEET killing and sending the text to his wife. But how the hell did the supporter know IV's wife would react that way? I mean cheating in this day and age is so common, but to go there and stab your cheating husband to death?

8.2 billion yen. Supposedly the amount of money Akira has left. Can you really buy a fully equipped mall and movie theater with a tight security system, and also kidnap 20 thousand people who live all over the place and feed them (for how long) with 1.8 billion yen? Not to mention how much it would cost to have 10(11) nukes launched at tokyo...

And last but not least, Akiras 'bachelor pad'. I don't know if you noticed the globe with the writing "The world is yours" which is from Scarface. Does he have this because he's very much into movies or because he's somebody who would do anything for money? (Just like Tony Montana)

AHHHHH so many questions!!!! I really enjoyed the ep and cant wait for the next one.
Old 2009-04-24, 15:47   Link #37
Raiga
tl;dr

Gotta say I love the attention to details... how little things carry over from episode to episode.

Like how Saki said "keep the change" last episode and this episode Takizawa used the change for the pay phone. And what was a comedic scene last episode when he started taking notes on his wrist becomes useful this episode.

As for why no passersby bothered with Kondo, I thought that was kinda obvious the first time I watched it. They showed earlier in the scene a shot of a bum sleeping on the ground, and earlier on Saki mentioned how the place was turning into a slum. Passersby probably thought he was just another bum sleeping on the street, slumped against the wall like that, and instead gave him a wide berth. It's not like he was screaming in pain or anything. He looked, really, just like a bum with some sort of stain on his coat.

Dunno why Saki didn't go look for Akira. Maybe 'cause she got really into the movie (she did start crying) or maybe 'cause she was being stubborn and all, "If he's not coming I'm not looking for him."
Old 2009-04-24, 15:52   Link #38
Lostdreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushroomSamba View Post
That's the impression I got too. Now the question is why would "The Supporter" take out the NEETS? That doesn't really seem to match his/her/their job description. One thing I love about the show so far is how it seems to answer a bunch of questions, but at the same time, raise just as many in its place. Very compelling episode.
The Selecao's job is to make the world a better place. The detective talks about how he can't fix a shitty place like Japan up with 10 billion yen. Probably The supporter thinks NEET are a bad bunch and wanted to kill them. Naked. Seriously, wtf, why are they all nude. That's nasty
Old 2009-04-24, 16:31   Link #39
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpepper View Post
But how the hell did the supporter know IV's wife would react that way? I mean cheating in this day and age is so common, but to go there and stab your cheating husband to death?
At first, I thought Misae was also an agent, but after re-watching the scene, there's no supporting evidence of that. I dunno, she just gave off that vibe, I guess. But yeah, you're right...if she isn't an agent, that would've been a hefty assumption on The Supporter's front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdreams View Post
Probably The supporter thinks NEET are a bad bunch and wanted to kill them. Naked. Seriously, wtf, why are they all nude. That's nasty
lol. Yeah, the whole "naked" thing has me completely baffled.

Old 2009-04-24, 16:49   Link #40
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpepper View Post
I don't know if you noticed the globe with the writing "The world is yours" which is from Scarface.
Good one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kao-chan View Post
Saki never went up to the projection booth to look for Akira. Not reasonable.
香ちゃん気が利く I thought you were a romantic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Maybe 'cause she got really into the movie (she did start crying) or maybe 'cause she was being stubborn and all, "If he's not coming I'm not looking for him."
I think she was crying because he didn't come back to sit with her. She in her shy and sensitive way assumed he dumped her and so she wasn't going to chase him. 滝沢くんのバカ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdreams View Post
Naked. Seriously, wtf, why are they all nude. That's nasty
When I looked closely, most aren't naked, rather with shorts, swimming trunks, or towels.

Last edited by drobertbaker; 2009-04-24 at 17:26.
Closed Thread