AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

View Poll Results: Another - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 35 39.77%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 34.09%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 20.45%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 3.41%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.14%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.14%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-06, 15:36   Link #21
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse View Post
And yet didn't Mei say
Spoiler for :
and the sentences continues: that particular year!

EDIT: I rewatched the scene where you coulnt see Misak and indeed, the student was blocking the view just right.

But it does make me wonder, how they decide who the student is to be ignored. Is it drawing straws or was Misaki chosen, because she is creepy?
Old 2012-02-06, 15:36   Link #22
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoarfrost View Post
that does beg the question of why they were so lax on countermeasures this time around if they knew they were getting an extra student.
Like I said they didn't know what to do in this situation because it was the first time a student has every transfered to the class in the middle of the school year. So they naturally where hoping that the new kid would just pick up one what they were doing and follow suite.
Old 2012-02-06, 15:39   Link #23
Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
I don't know how there can be 6+10 deaths that year if they implied one death per month a sentence earlier. And if it's not a fixed number of deaths a month then there's no damn point in mentioning any "monthly" basis (unless they die on a fixed day of the month).

Quote:
EDIT: I rewatched the scene where you coulnt see Misak and indeed, the student was blocking the view just right.
You can still see the legs so it lessens the impact on rewatch.

So... One final question from me on this episode.
Spoiler for tldr:

Last edited by Horse; 2012-02-06 at 15:59.
Old 2012-02-06, 15:57   Link #24
Casshern

*Teacher is writing on the board with his back to the students*
Sakakibara: Sensei, I have a question!
Teacher: Yes, what is it? *teacher turns around*
Sakakibara: Got ya! *trollface*
Old 2012-02-06, 16:05   Link #25
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
I don't know how there can be 6+10 deaths that year if they implied one death per month a sentence earlier. And if it's not a fixed number of deaths a month then there's no damn point in mentioning any "monthly" basis (unless they die on a fixed day of the month).
It is at least 1 dead student or close relative per month as became clear by the explanation in episode 4. This means it can be any fixed number BUT it appears that there is at least one incident of death per month after "it" starts. A typical school year is April to March, this means that if it really did start in May this year there would be 11 months to fill.

Also to play around with numbers a bit more, let's look at the seating order in class

As we can see there are 30 people in class including Kôichi. So before he came to class after the Golden Week -so he started in May- there were 29 students of whom Misaki Mei was ignored, making it 28 "existing" students.
Now looking at the photograph of class 3-3 from 26 years ago we have also 29 students. Now the question that comes is, is the infamous ghost of Misaki in the photo or not or, was the 3-3 from 26 years ago 29 or 30 people?
Old 2012-02-06, 16:06   Link #26
Taynis
Wonderland's hitman

Send a message via MSN to Taynis
Sakakibara I'm so happy for you!! ;---; Finally an (very confusing and bizarre) explanation!
Really, I was just as paranoical as him.

And another dies. But...two persons died in June right? So it doesn't need to be ONE person per month...or I messing up things? It is like the minimum is one person per month.

Spoiler for Speculation about the memories:

Maybe they choose Misaki because of her name? The girl from 26 years is probably Misaki (by the rumors)

Can't wait for next week! :0
Old 2012-02-06, 16:09   Link #27
LKK

This past week, I posted a wild theory about Kouichi in his character thread. My crazy idea was that perhaps Kouichi didn't survive his collapsed lung and that he was the dead one possibly living through some sort of purgatory existence. But after ep 5, I'm beginning to think that my theory about Kouichi being dead just may be closer to right than I could have guessed.

I'm glad we got some explanations although how accurate they are no one knows yet. Even the characters themselves aren't sure how of their understanding of the situation is right. I don't think anyone in the class has outright lied to Kouichi. I believe they're telling him the truth as they know it. Personally I'd like to hear more from the librarian and from Kouichi's aunt. I bet they know a whole lot more than the students do.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2012-02-06, 16:13   Link #28
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
... how the hell is it common knowledge in the class/school/town there's an extra person in class 3-3 that is related to deaths? The one missing desk the first year after Misaki's death? Just when exactly do they prepare the damn chairs/desk for the new year? Before the school break? Seems like a bunch of hocus pocus or unfounded superstition.

I call it a troll.
I wondered the same thing:

Quote:
My woe with this explanation is, it is way too far fetched for anybody to figure it out. I mean, so every year they are short on one desk and chair. How does that lead to the conlusion, they have an extra dead student walking among them and their memories are changed? I mean, to me the curse starts with "one missing desk"... you know what I mean? And not with the most unlikely explanation out there, that looks like it came from a B rated horror book for teenage girls. I think they could have done a better job explaining the extra student in the class.
What I meant to say is, that it would be much more logical to assume, that one desk disappeared rather than inventing that far fetched story about appearing dead people.... i mean, where exactly did they take this info from? They could also say, that an alien comes to the class every year ... it would make equally sense.
Old 2012-02-06, 16:16   Link #29
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Big info dump this episode. At least a lot of things were cleared up. A few notes on the episode:

The vote for the new class rep - so twin-tails won this 24-2 over Ayano. Which one is Ayano? I can't keep these characters straight.

The heart problem kid raised huge death flags as soon as he said he'd answer anything, but I didn't expect him to die within seconds like that. That scene was more hilarious than scary or shocking.

The art club kid sent the note and class roster. He's doomed.

I wonder if Kirika was in the class of 72 as well?

The ending definitely doesn't seem indicate any death order.
Old 2012-02-06, 16:29   Link #30
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
As we can see there are 30 people in class including Kôichi. So before he came to class after the Golden Week -so he started in May- there were 29 students of whom Misaki Mei was ignored, making it 28 "existing" students.
Now looking at the photograph of class 3-3 from 26 years ago we have also 29 students. Now the question that comes is, is the infamous ghost of Misaki in the photo or not or, was the 3-3 from 26 years ago 29 or 30 people?
Now, that's just plain puzzling. Originally, there were 30 students in class 3-3 26 years ago. Misaki died, and the class total went down to 29. However, the class carried on if Misaki hadn't died, so wouldn't that bring the class total back to 30? Which doesn't make all that much sense, since we should be able to see the ghost in the photo because it has a physical form and a soul. Perhaps the year in which Misaki died was an exception that started everything off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
This past week, I posted a wild theory about Kouichi in his character thread. My crazy idea was that perhaps Kouichi didn't survive his collapsed lung and that he was the dead one possibly living through some sort of purgatory existence. But after ep 5, I'm beginning to think that my theory about Kouichi being dead just may be closer to right than I could have guessed.
As much I hate to admit that our MC may actually be dead, I think you're right. It would certainly explain this image in the prologue.
Old 2012-02-06, 16:35   Link #31
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Not surprised to find out Mei is real since it's what I've been claiming since the very first episode. Glad it's finally confirmed. Though given the way the curse works, there is a chance she is the ghost, but that's extremely unlikely they picked the right person out of 30 students. Mei was cuter than ever in this ep, probably because she decided to stop trolling Kouichi and is quite happy to get a comrade. It's great that they've got each other to talk to but I'm afraid this is going to keep the curse going, since even though they are ignored by everybody, they are both acknowledging the other's existence. I doubt the majority rule applies here.

The revelation that Kouichi's mother was in the same class as the original Misaki is very interesting, though I have no idea what to make of it at the moment.

Anyway, it seems the key to stopping all this is to figure out who the "ghost" is. The most obvious candidate is Kouichi. The ghost is somebody connected to the class who has died. Both his mother and his aunt were in it, so he fits. The reason Izumi has the lingering feeling she has met him somewhere is because she knew him when he was alive. I bet she was even somebody close to him. She forgot about all about him once her memories were rewritten.

The other option is that he died at the same time as his mother 15 years ago, but that's a pretty far-fetched.

Another thing to take into account is that the first death (Fujioka's) happened the day he arrived in town.

Quote:

But it does make me wonder, how they decide who the student is to be ignored. Is it drawing straws or was Misaki chosen, because she is creepy?
Mei never had any close friends even before everyone started ignoring her (evidence: she said her mother was surprised somebody called her). That makes her the best candidate. She may have even volunteered.

Quote:

You can still see the legs so it lessens the impact on rewatch.

So... One final question from me on this episode.
Spoiler for tldr:
It's not like they figured it out the first year. I'm sure it took them quite a while. Then with the story about Misaki in mind and the fact a desk is missing every single year, they theorized that somebody in the class is not supposed to be there. It's logical, in some way.

My problem with this explanation is that if everyone's memories and even the school records can be easily altered, then why can't that ghost find a goddamn desk? I can only assume this is actually a clue the dead's giving out to the living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Perhaps the year in which Misaki died was an exception that started everything off?
Well, yeah. That's exactly what Mei explained. The class from 26 years invited the dead in it by doing what they did. The problem is the that succeeding guests weren't as friendly as Misaki.
Old 2012-02-06, 17:04   Link #32
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The reason Izumi has the lingering feeling she has met him somewhere is because she knew him when he was alive. I bet she was even somebody close to him. She forgot about all about him once her memories were rewritten.
This.. makes a whole lot of scene, actually. This still feels a little too obvious; I wouldn't mind if he were to the be 'other', but I think it'd make for a much interesting story if the 'other' were to be somebody else. The main character is almost always a suspect in such stories. Or.. it could simply be Izumi being extra careful not to let someone suspicious like him slip by unnoticed?

What I don't get is the role of dolls in the show. I don't think it's something as simple as symbolism.

Last edited by Ray; 2012-02-06 at 17:35.
Old 2012-02-06, 17:04   Link #33
Dop
Mmmm....

So...
Mei isn't dead but had been chosen to be treated as though she didn't exist in order to stave off the curse. That's pretty much what I'd expected, although I wasn't expecting Kouichi to join Mei in the "Sent to Coventry" club.

As soon as Mr. HNNNNNGGGHHHH opened his mouth I knew he was going to die, but not quite right there and then!

Great episode, answered some questions, created some new ones. Was Kouichi's mother directly connected with the original Misaki's death?
Old 2012-02-06, 17:27   Link #34
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Episode 5

Spoiler for Yikes a ghost?!:

Those damn classmates are totally responsible for this whole problem going to hell. Grrr, they should have been straight in the very beginning and told our main protagonist the whole story, but nooooo. Now the poor guy has to be treated like a ghost, but hey looks like he's got a fellow soul that understands his situation and she's quite a looker.

A ghost? An extra person in the classroom? An extra person, but not a real ghost just a person treated as a ghost or it could be vice versa? I have a feeling that the class's countermeasures are somewhat flawed in that it doesn't completely destroy this curse but only pro longs or reduces its effects. A room that invites the dead in...hmm.

I now understand why that little class president was so suspicious and questioning Sakibara when he first transferred into their class. She probably thought he was this dead extra classmate.
Old 2012-02-06, 18:42   Link #35
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I like this change in direction- Now that we know what's going on, the mystery changes from "What's going on?" to "Who do it?".

This curse seems to be really troublesome- The moment you acknowledge that there's someone extra, the curse takes effects. In this case just saying 'Misaki Mei' would do. But my impression is that the class still don't know what's really going on, but after years of trial and error they've finally come up with something to seems to work, so without questioning it too much they just implement it.

This does make it difficult to explain to Kouichi- I get the feeling how it's 'normally' done is that the students would be told what to do before a year before they entered the 9th grade as it seems the curse doesn't affect anyone from the other class. But Kouichi would thrown into it right away so they really have no idea how to go about to do it.

Next week's preview-- Suddenly, romance by the moonlight ?! Is it just me, or Misaki somehow had gotten cuter in this episode ?!
Old 2012-02-06, 19:20   Link #36
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Two wild ideas:

One: if the class decided that a symbolic death is proving insufficient as a countermeasure, what would be their next logical step?

Two: What if Mei is "real" but in fact turns out to have been the "Another" all along? If the class never knows who the extra person is, who's to say they can't choose to ignore the dead one by mistake?
Old 2012-02-06, 19:28   Link #37
Robotech Master

I don't think either Mei or Kou are the 'other.'

At this point I'm thinking that us thinking it's one of the students is a red herring, leading us astray, and the 'other' could really be a faculty member, perhaps a victim of one of the previous generations.

So did the class refrain from telling him the truth because they thought he might be the other/another and that telling him would make the situation worse instead of better?
Old 2012-02-06, 19:44   Link #38
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I don't doubt that the whole idea that Kouichi might be the other is a red herring, but if indeed it's not a student at all that pretty much blows Mei's theory out of the water, and means the entire thing might be false.
Old 2012-02-06, 20:01   Link #39
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
So did the class refrain from telling him the truth because they thought he might be the other/another and that telling him would make the situation worse instead of better?
The latter would be my guess. I think they felt trapped in that because the school year had already started (even by the time of the hospital meeting), the countermeasures were in effect. They probably feared that telling Kouichi about the countermeasures would negate those very countermeasures. Stuck between a rock and a hard place -- They can't tell the new guy about the potential problem because talking about the potential problem would make the potential problem become a real problem.

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I don't doubt that the whole idea that Kouichi might be the other is a red herring, but if indeed it's not a student at all that pretty much blows Mei's theory out of the water, and means the entire thing might be false.
Personally, I don't think anyone we've heard from yet has a full and complete understanding of what caused the curse and why it is called down some years and not some others. It's possible the whole thing is false although I think it's more likely that some of it is true and some not.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2012-02-06, 20:01   Link #40
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
The answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
This curse seems to be really troublesome- The moment you acknowledge that there's someone extra, the curse takes effect.
Sakakibara's sudden addition to the class made everything troublesome from the get-go. His classmates couldn't treat him as persona non grata right away, because doing so would immediately mean that they recognised him as the "extra person". The school year started with 29 students, including Mei Misaki. Misaki was "volunteered" as the non-existent person for the year, so once the dead one comes in, Class 3-3 would still stay, in their minds, at 29.

The magic/cursed number is 30. The moment Sakakibara came to the class, the equation was thrown out of whack, hence the initial confusion over what to do next. Like Akazawa said, the explanation itself would have been difficult, since simply trying to explain things to Sakakibara might trigger the curse.

In any case, the curse is now in effect, so that's why they decided that they'd ignore Sakakibara as well. In Akazawa's mind, they have nothing more to lose. They have to maintain magic number 29 in real life to stave off further deaths.
Closed Thread