AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-09-27, 17:10   Link #781
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Obama leads Romney 49-42 percent in latest Reuters/Ipsos survey
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88Q1JB20120927
Of course, that's only if the registered voters can get to vote or are not interfered with from voting...
Old 2012-09-27, 17:43   Link #782
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
Obama leads Romney 49-42 percent in latest Reuters/Ipsos survey
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88Q1JB20120927
I love how anything that shows the Republicans in a bad light is "liberal left wing crap"

People will continue to be sheep w/out realizing it.
Old 2012-09-27, 19:12   Link #783
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Billionaire Soros pledges $1.5 million to Democratic "Super PACs"
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88Q1RU20120927
Good thing than not all 1% want Romney at the White House.
Old 2012-09-27, 19:52   Link #784
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Billionaire Soros pledges $1.5 million to Democratic "Super PACs"
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88Q1RU20120927
Good thing than not all 1% want Romney at the White House.
He's not my friend, either. Soros is the guy the right wing likes to wave around in some kind of somewhat false "equivalency" when the Koch Bros. and that small herd of extreme right wing often religious extremist billionaires are pointed at.

Frankly, I wish all the billionaires would shut up and just cast their ONE vote like everyone else. But we have to get rid of that bullshit notion that $$=speech.
Old 2012-09-27, 20:04   Link #785
sikvod00

I agree. If you're against the Citizens United decision and the general notion that $$= speech, you cannot be OK with what George Soros is doing, even if you're as liberal as him. Unless you don't mind being a hypocrite. I recall house minority leader Nancy Pelosi appearing on Rachel Maddow and proudly claiming that there should be a constitutional amendment to ban CU. Somehow I doubt she's waving her hands in despair when things like this happen.

As a matter of principle, we shouldn't allow the super rich to decide the direction of the country, regardless of their political affiliations. Besides I doubt there are enough "nice" billionaires like Soros and Oprah to fight against the real nasty ones.

Last edited by sikvod00; 2012-09-27 at 20:17.
Old 2012-09-27, 20:08   Link #786
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

OTOH, you have to admit that it's how the game is played. It's not good, but it's better than Obama being completely outfunded by Romney.
Old 2012-09-27, 20:23   Link #787
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
OTOH, you have to admit that it's how the game is played. It's not good, but it's better than Obama being completely outfunded by Romney.
True, until Citizen United is countered by one mean or another, you will have to work with it, for better or worse.
Old 2012-09-27, 22:18   Link #788
Ridwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
1) It was a compliment.
2) I don't much like a "monarch" in a state with strong ties with any "religion", that's like double backwards for me.

3) That stereotype being said, I like the king of Jordan. He's always a great figure to look up to whenever he's on air.
Unlike... say, the monarch of Saudi, with the double-tongue of theirs.
1) Clearly so. But you're basically pointing up how unusual he is for a muslim leader, a statement which while has a little bit of truth especially for the last 3 years, implies few possibilities regarding your opinion about Islamic world, most of which are dangerously near the racist line. I'm sure you didn't mean it, but I thought this kind of mistake is quite easy for someone like you to avoid.

2) Jacobinism isn't exactly modern either. And yes, monarchy and religion can live side by side and even synthesize with democracy and liberal secularism.

3) Jordan is definitely an example of a better Arab country. Hashemites came from Hejaz, that part of Arabian peninsula where Mecca is located. Its strategic location, which connects them to Middle East's major urban centers. has granted them the tradition of better political sophistication compared to those that originate from the deep deserts of Nejd like the Saudis, which are now regretting their contract with Iblis.

(Yes, many in the Saudi clan are now regretting their alliance with Wahabbist ulemas. The current Saudi king is actually a reformist [if still a willing autocrat], and his recent declaration for expanding women's suffrage proved to be quite a far leap for Saudi standard)

Last edited by Ridwan; 2012-09-27 at 22:54.
Old 2012-09-27, 23:54   Link #789
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Oh, so saying I'm not fond of most Islamic political leaders, especially monarchs, makes me racist?
Sure, label me whatever you want, pal.

It has nothing to do with Islam, nor do I have beef with the people of the religion.
It's got everything to do with running a country with religious doctrine. Islam not excluded.

I don't think you even know what racism means.
Old 2012-09-28, 00:11   Link #790
Ridwan

I don't think it's wise to involve oneself in any political thread without the patience to read others' posts thoroughly.

I'm just saying you're overestimating how much of medievalist or dickish (or both?) muslim leaders are on average.
Old 2012-09-28, 00:13   Link #791
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
most of which are dangerously near the racist line.
Being "anti-religion" does not equal "racism". One is an idea, the other a skin pigment.
Old 2012-09-28, 00:16   Link #792
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Oh, so saying I'm not fond of most Islamic political leaders, especially monarchs, makes me racist?
Sure, label me whatever you want, pal.
The way you said it in the original post (specifically mentioning monarch of an Islamic state) can imply that monarchs of Islamic states would be overreacting spicy people, which is in itself is a pretty biased statement. You could had written things a bit differently.

Furthermore, that was not anti-religion. It was specifically talking about a sterotype which can fall into racism within a broad category.
Old 2012-09-28, 00:20   Link #793
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
The way you said it in the original post (specifically mentioning monarch of an Islamic state) can imply that monarchs of Islamic states would be overreacting spicy people, which is in itself is a pretty biased statement. You could had written things a bit differently.
I did mean it that way.
I find many of these monarchs to be brash about their reactions, you did not read that wrong at all.
It has nothing to do with their race, it has everything to do with their position and beliefs.
(and political agendas, I'm sure)

So if I say I dislike Christian Politicians such as Santorium for their backward beliefs, does that make me a racist?
Because I do. If that labels me a racist, then so be it.

Quote:
Furthermore, that was not anti-religion. It was specifically talking about a sterotype which can fall into racism within a broad category.
If it makes you feel any better, I find religious leaders in general to portray the exact same behavior. Religious leaders with political powers, that is.
Old 2012-09-28, 00:21   Link #794
Sumeragi
Banned

As I said, you could have written things a bit differently and escaped possible misunderstandings. However.....

Quote:
If it makes you feel any better, I find religious leaders in general to portray the exact same behavior. Religious leaders with political powers, that is.
Monarchs are not religious leaders but leaders who happen to be Muslims. How does your statement match up with your original?
Old 2012-09-28, 00:26   Link #795
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
As I said, you could have written things a bit differently and escaped possible misunderstandings. However.....

Monarchs are not religious leaders but leaders who happen to be Muslims. How does your statement match up with your original?
NO, no, it's the combination of being a monarch, such as a king or queen, AND being a religious leader, "double backwards".

Monarchism = backwards (in my opinion... seeing from a democratic rat that I am)
Politics based on religion = backwards

double backwards!

Get it? Two different backwards concept, added together for even more backwardsness.
Old 2012-09-28, 00:29   Link #796
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

"divine right of kings" rubbish and theocracy in general -> to dustbin of history eventually
Old 2012-09-28, 00:31   Link #797
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
"divine right of kings" rubbish and theocracy in general -> to dustbin of history eventually
Thank you, exactly.

See, someone here can read.
Old 2012-09-28, 00:42   Link #798
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Back on topic: This -- vote suppression, a few votes here and there, challenge legitimate voters ("guilty til proven innocent"), flip a key district, and the whole state's electoral votes, $profit$.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...0,811761.story
Old 2012-09-28, 00:42   Link #799
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
But the Japanese nationalists are trying to resurrect it.....

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-09-28, 00:44   Link #800
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying
this is all you need to know about that whole link:

this is classic liberal Newspeak.

cutting the rate of growth of entitlements = "cuts."

nope.jpg

the non-paying leeches are those getting a free ride on everyone else's dime... the vast majority will vote d-crats
Forget the notion of liberal/conservative newspeak opinions for a second and focus on that piece of fact where it shows that the majority of the 47% of the moochers tend to live in the states that predominantly have voted Republican for the last few decades. Common sense would dictate you don't knock the hand that feed you, right? I'm truly hoping that Romney will "run with this message" as he promised and hopefully will bring it up in these upcoming debates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying
this... is... called... 'legislating through tax law'
congresses understand the benefits of tax-free municipal bonds and have provided an advantageous means of raising money.

tax-free bonds aren't "deductions". purchasing them doesn't reduce one's taxable income like deductions do.
they're generally used by asset rich and income poor retired people who want an income stream without taxation. it's a win-win for them and the bond issuers
I lol'ed at the "asset rich and income poor"... but to be on the subject of deductions, you are right... it's not a deduction in the literal sense. The correct terminology is Amortization which allows those "asset rich and income poor" (aka filthy rich) not pay taxes on that interest earned. very cool system that can be taken adavantage off when you make enough interest to even think about avoiding taxes. My savings account last year accrued $1.23 in interest. I know I won't need to buy any municipal bonds to evade any taxes from my interest earned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
show me people who truly can't sustain themselves and I'll show you someone who either doesn't know all the benefits available to them or is down and out on drugs & alcohol.

not only do many of those who don't earn enough to pay taxes get extra benefits... they get back more than they paid in through the EITC!
Oh dear! A small portion of the population has always held that particular notion. Romney's 47% statement brought into the clear view of how "off-hand" (in his own words) and callous such statement can be. If the Republican party continues to associate with that small group of people who think in those terms, we can very well say that the party is going to be slowly out of commission and choke itself out. I, for one, sincerely hope that you will never have to find out for yourself about the circumstance of what lead a person to be that poor so he/she needs to rely on things like food stamps, housing, etc to sustain themselve, or why they can't take advantage of the "benefits available" to them. While the system isn't perfect and certainly needs a few dialogue to sort out the entitlement issues, a party cannot survive when it wants to work for only selective fews.
Closed Thread