AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-10-22, 21:15   Link #261
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

This goes here.

Definitly agree with Kino's Journey. Excellent writing that's very thought-provoking and actually insightful.
Hidamari Sketch is one of the better slice-of-life comedies, and while I wouldn't go so far as to call it "amazing" or a "masterpiece", it definitely deserves more recognition.
Also agreed with Baccano! for its unique (as far as anime goes) presentation, wonderful cast, gripping story, and pure badassery.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 21:39   Link #262
GreatTeacherKen

I've rarely seen people talk about Ginban Kaleidoscope, but I think it's a wonderful sports romantic comedy. The main relationship is sweet and very funny and the ice skating scenes manage to be exciting and enjoyable. It's my favorite shoujo anime besides X TV.

Gokujo Seitokai is a show that most people seem to consider mediocre, and for the first few episodes I thought so as well but I thought the show eventually found its footing and it got a lot funnier. Especially love the episode focusing on cyndi Manabe.

Last edited by GreatTeacherKen; 2008-10-22 at 22:03.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 21:39   Link #263
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!

Second Ginban Kaleidoscope. Not a classic, but it's pretty good and unrecognized for the most part.
Eczema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 23:34   Link #264
Saki_chan

Kino's Journey novels are a lot better than the anime, but I still love both of 'em.

I feel like Mushishi isn't as popular as it deserves. It's such a fantastic anime, and I know it's had plenty of advertising, but I haven't really encountered a lot of other fans.
Saki_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 23:37   Link #265
Ryougi Shiki
私, オレ, lines of origin

I like my favorite anime series to NOT be popular. the more fans there are of something, the more I try to avoid them and just try to enjoy something without a clusterfuck of retards masturbating over it
Old 2008-10-22, 23:50   Link #266
herbert

When there almost everyone agree on some shows are very good, I want to hold my opinion about if they are really not popular. Yeah, I look at you, Kino's Journey, Hidamari Sketch and Baccano!. I like them all, but not popular? Think not, especially I don't understand why HS can be said unpopular.

My suggestion:
Fantastic Children
Wonderful setup, good middle, nice ending. I can't put any mystery anime above this one. It has no stereotyping characters and plot from your average anime. It is not made to be popular, but it's a wonderful ride.

Futakoi Alternative
This is one up to anyone to decide own their own. It mixes almost any elements you can think of in, romance, comedy, action, mystery, craziness and anything. Not anyone's cup of tea, but if it happens for you, you'd love it to death.
Old 2008-10-22, 23:56   Link #267
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I'm going to have to go with Moetan and Manabi Straight. I'm not going to explain why, because every time I do, I get haters attacking me.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 01:14   Link #268
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I'm not going to explain why, because every time I do, I get haters attacking me.
lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
When there almost everyone agree on some shows are very good, I want to hold my opinion about if they are really not popular. Yeah, I look at you, Kino's Journey, Hidamari Sketch and Baccano!. I like them all, but not popular? Think not, especially I don't understand why HS can be said unpopular.
When we consider that in this forum, the total sum of posts in the Baccano! thread, Kino's Journey thread, and Hidamari Sketch's two threads is under 1400, you begin to notice that even a few currently airing series are quickly catching up to the four-sum in thread posts after just three weeks.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 01:32   Link #269
GreatTeacherKen

^^ That's true, but I think herbert does have a point though. I have yet to meet one person who's watched all of Baccano say s/he passionately hated it, same is true for the other shows.

I guess it depends on how you interpret the word popular. If you interpret popular as the quantity of people who've heard of or watched something, then Baccano, Kino's Journey, and Hidamari sketch aren't popular. But if you interpret popular as amount/proportion of critical praise to the amount of criticism, then I'd say they'd count as popular.

Or maybe it'll be easier to call them cult hits.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 02:41   Link #270
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
Bartender

That is all.
Nukerjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 05:35   Link #271
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryougi Shiki View Post
I like my favorite anime series to NOT be popular. the more fans there are of something, the more I try to avoid them and just try to enjoy something without a clusterfuck of retards masturbating over it
To me, the anime series can be popular as if Elvis was alive, and the rest of the franchise is still largely not understood. Light/visual novels, manga... all these are part of the experience.
Old 2008-10-23, 05:53   Link #272
Bathory Area
Jigoku Shoujo

Shion no Ou.This show is a tightly paced,suspenceful masterpiece.It will
take you on a ride and never let s up until very end.The story gave a solid punch
of young girl s inability to speak and trying to find murderer of her parents.Shion
no Ou was enjoyable series.Shion "I will kill you king!!!".
Bathory Area is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 08:09   Link #273
space cowboy
cowboy of space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenlong View Post
You're Under Arrest - This is an earlier series by the guy behind Ah! My Goddess and I believe its far superior as well. Its a police comedy-romance and blows any similiar show out of the water. The box sets are pretty cheap right now
Brilliant series, i love the OAV's they have to be one of the few animes that make me laugh out loud.
space cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 15:02   Link #274
Langknow

Hokuto No Ken

Probably the "first" shonen series that inspired the Akira Toyoma sp? .

This was probably before all main shonen characters were wimps. This was a show with brutally strong men, and I think, started the whole epic battle thing.

- Lang

http://www.youtube.com/langknow
Langknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 15:28   Link #275
Shadow Kira01

I am not so sure if there are any, unless under-represented anime masterpieces mean good anime series that have little or no avatars, sigs, and wallpapers available anywhere.

Does Seto no Hanayome count?
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 15:43   Link #276
Narzia
┐(-。ー')┌

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukerjsr View Post
Bartender

That is all.
Yes, yes. Bartender indeed.
Narzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 17:26   Link #277
space cowboy
cowboy of space

I wanna add Now and Then, Here and There, something highly under rated but in my eyes a masterpiece. It really explores the darker side of humanity through starvation, thirst, torture, sexual abuse and war.

Not everyones cup of tea i know, but i love the way it goes about making points.
space cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 17:36   Link #278
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
I'd say Aria is pretty unpopular imo.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 20:38   Link #279
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjzz View Post

Kino no tabi:

Spoiler for anime:

A psychological anime about a traveler that has 2 rules: never stay for more than 3 days in one place and dont interfere with the life of the people he meets.
AUGGGH!!! St. Belldandy forgive me, but I gotta ask...
Wasn't the main character female in that one?

-k

curious
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 22:49   Link #280
Thingle
Banned

Shigurui.

Virtually overlooked and massively delayed by subbers during its run. This was the first anime that gave me an impression of action in stillness. You really know that there's action even though the animation is restrained.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
underappreciated