AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2015-09-15, 18:14   Link #5681
Schattenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorsai View Post
In mmo you build your end game gear for pvp and mass pvp (for hardcore players) or for raids (for casual players).
YGGDRASIL is exploration/pve/mass pvp though.

As it's the first VMMORPG in the Overlord setting, using exploration as theme is a smart move to begin with.

Quote:
You grind hundreds of hours to get eq you will use in thousands of duels. You not grind months to get item you will use just once. Ofc probably most hardcore players after obtained it would never use it anymore and use as just decoration,
Once WC items exist, they can (and evenually will) get stolen. Because others would very much like to get their hands on them, too. Regular items can be stolen, too, on that note.

Owning World-class items itself apperantly granted quite a bit of prestige in YGGDRASIL.

Quote:
but forum of publisher of mmo like this would be full with thousands of tooics full of angst about this items and last thing game publisher want is angry game community. I was seeing fan wars for years on game forums about a lot smaller isues in their games.
Not every MMORPG player is some whiny kid that screams "nerf please, it's too powerful" (so those that are would've likely eventually quit YGGDRASIL) even after the puplisher openly states that they will never change it as it's "as powerful as expected" and "with as much backdraws as intented" as well as an integral part of the game mechanics (that is, to obtain an item that is beyond any other item in what it can do).

I didn't see anything in your post that would speak against "something that's basically a number of unique superweapons guilds fight over" (for control). Could you please be more specific?
Schattenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-15, 18:25   Link #5682
Dorsai

Fact is that if it would be real mmo game publishers would be forced by community to nerf that items into less op stats with normal backdraws, not "for one use only". But if its not the case then its not weird that game Yyggdrasil was closed like thousands of other failed mmo before...

Not every but 70% of them are and that 70% are source of profit for game publishers...
Old 2015-09-15, 18:30   Link #5683
luffyxnami

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Slayer View Post
I haven't seen the episode yet but if what you guys are saying is true then my worse fears have come true, they fucked it up massively...

What the hell are they even doing? and why did they remove CZ and Nigredo? WHY? WHY???

I have no faith in them anymore, they probably are going to screw up the fight somehow or leave up important information about it, what are they going to do in the last episode then? and no we are definitely not wrong about Rubedo, they are wrong about Shalltear as well as many other things, did they show Shalltear with her full equipment when Ainz and Albedo meet her in the episode? because in the preview they did not and if they really didn't then that's another thing they screwed up, they probably would have Ainz fight with his full equipment given that in the opening thats exactly what they showed.

Them not talking more about something like world class items is completely and utterly inexcusable; why did they not do so? they had to do it in order to show how powerful they are and they didn't.

I really don't understand just exactly what in the world is in the director's head? what the hell are they thinking? why would they not show simple little important details like these? it would cost them nothing to not show the captain of the black scripture block Shalltear and her using her lance, it would cost them nothing to simply show her with her full equipment when Ainz and Albedo meet her, it would cost them nothing to show Ainz in the next episode fight without his full equipment and yet despite all of that...

There will most likely not be a second season.
They also left out pandora actor's abilities, and the fact that albedo and ainz each have a world item. Also they make it seem like he only have one of the twenty instead of two, he does have two right? I can't remember. You should watch it soon, they remove a few character for no apparent reason at all, like the crazy licking magic guild leader and cz.
luffyxnami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-15, 18:38   Link #5684
RDNexus

Dorsai, can you please get it in your THICK SKULL that the author created Overlord with a basis in D&D?!
As far as I know, the author so admited it long ago! Stop using MMOs as an excuse to dump your frustration on a story that's not to your liking but still went to the trouble of reading as far as Vol07!
It's really starting to sound like Trolling, you know?
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-15, 18:51   Link #5685
Namorax

Quote:
Ty god for this topic, thx to info about how Arche story was dealt i will save myself from being attached to trash LN like this one and trash writing from this author.... Seems like author completely misunderstood how you make archetype like antihero. Ainz isnt one, its just complete trash, thanx to author bad story writing. But there was enough being said about this in this topic then i will stop myself from repeating it once sgain...

From what i saw in this LN i doubt that author ever played mmo games for longer time. World class items that desapear after using them once, seriously? Stuff like this would NEVER work in real mmo game. Gamers would made thousands of topics full on angst and force game publisher to change it in their game. Mmo are all about pvp and mass pvp and how wold it work when your end game eq desapear just after one pvp?

Second stuff is about Ainz being angry that Arche group invaded his tomb. Seriously wtf with is this? Its supposed to be mmo world oryginally, right? Then how any player could be angry about it? Castle sieges are important part of any mmo and players usually are excited that other guild want to try take them out in mass pvp event. Ainz is supposed to be former hardcore player, but from his behavior sometimes i doubt that author even know how hardcore mmo player even looks like (im one myself with 14 years of experience in mmo games genre).
Okay... the way you wrote your post kinda makes it look like you didn't even read the story in the first place. Instead you came here and looked at random spoilers and excerpts of the story and based your opinion of the story on that...

About the "Disappearing Items":
If you read the story, then you would be aware that these items were so overpowered that "one-time-use" was the only way of not breaking the gamebalance. One of these items has the effect of permanently erasing any target (and the user) from the game. Another allows you to change the gameplay mechanics any way you want, as long as the Devs don't veto it for being excessive. If these items don't disappear, then a single player would be able to do whatever the hell they wanted. Also, they don't just "disappear", it seem that after using it the item in question can once again be found somewhere in the world. If you are lucky, you can reacquire it.

About Ainz being an anti-hero:
What gave you the impression that Ainz was ever supposed to be an anti-hero? Or a hero at all? He is absolutely what you would consider the "final boss" in any traditional high-fantasy RPG. The thing the hero is supposed to defeat because it is evil and stuff.
Ainz is not a hero at all.

About Ainz being angry:
If you read the story you would know more about Ainz then him being a skeleton dude. You would know that he was described as having little to no social interaction outside the game, and he really cherished the time he spent with his guildmembers. He is so attached to the guild that he kept the place running even when everyone started to stop playing the game.
His one and only wish after arriving in the new world isn't to find a way home, it is to find out if the other members of his guild were also teleported into this world.
He is so attached to his guild, he wants to protect the place AND the NPCs the others created. He often thinks about how doing this or that would "tarnish" the guild or the guild's name and what the reaction of the others would be once/if they found out. He is so scared of "disappointing" the other guildmembers that it starts to feel a tiny bit ridiculous...
If Ainz gets angry, he will have a reason. He is obviously way more invested into the guild he spent years to build up and maintain, then you are in the various MMOs you played in 14 years. Being a hardcore player doesn't really matter... at least in my opinion... also, IIRC he wasn't angry at them for invading the tomb, it was seomething else they did. And the whole invasion... nah, you'll see if you read on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Slayer View Post
How many times do I have to repeat myself? the reason why they need to talk to GMs is because the items have to be programmed into the game, they can't just use them instantly because they are changing the game code itself.

Volume 3 Chapter 4
Some world class items could probably be used without needing to contact and talk to GMs but those would be the normal world class items, the world class items apart of the ''twenty'' are a different story.

As for finding out information regarding the mines, it's quite obvious that they found it out by gathering information (something which is empathized in the game) they are entire guilds that are dedicated to nothing but gaining information, some guilds have spies inside other guilds to gather important information from them, or guilds themselves leak the information for various reasons.

What do you not understand from this quote? it's quite clear and obvious that caloric stone is a world class item from the twenty.

As for them speculating about the world class item that drops after you defeat all seven bosses, the fact remains is that you need to fulfill requirements to attain any world class items which is why it wasn't strange for them guess that you had to at least do that much to get one, and why are you downplaying and underestimating taking over entire certain special areas in the game? areas that are quite obvious that they are not some easy pickings, not only but as I've already said before in my previous comment those mines are where you get the materials needed to gain the caloric stone not the stone itself so there are probably other requirements they need to do in order to fully gain it.
Okay, okay... I' sorry for not picking up on every clue like I was supposed to, but please calm down, okay?

I admit that I haven't read the released translation of the chapter, only the "Edit-In-Progress" version and I remember the passage being a little bit different, alright?
The passage I remember was marked and under heavy scrutiny because the RAW was as ambigous and vage as humanly possible, and trying to correctly understand what it was supposed to mean was very hard. The only thing I remember being rather clear was that they were allowed to request "something" from the devs. It might've been another item/feature in exchange for the caloric stone, that they change the item's use/function in the game or something completely different.
(Since "Caloric" is the name of an obsolote precursor of Thermodynamics, it stands to reason that the Caloric stone is something like an engine. IIRC there are theories that this was turned into a golem core and that either Gargantua or Rubedo were made with this. Well, it was revealed that Gargantua was obviously not the recipient of that Golem core, so he's out)

Seeing the way the version on Sky's blog is phrased, I'll admit that Caloric Stone does appear to be a World-Class item, even if I still have some serious doubts about how it is used.
Also, this is the first time I ever heard that the players can decide what the hell a world-item is supposed to do and then tell the devs what they're supposed to programm into the game. I know that they Devs update the game when players use a specific item like ouroboros or Five Elements Overcoming, but to do so every single time a player "earns" a WCI? Isn't that way too much work? In that case I thnk its more likely that we screwed up, translated that sentence wrongly and ended up with the wrong implication (it wouldn't be the first time we made a mistake during our translation)

I think it is more likely that Caloric stone can be used for various purposes (for example the Golemcore) and the players are supposed to tell the GMs what they want to do with it. At least that is my opinion on that matter.
Namorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-15, 19:27   Link #5686
Dorsai

That items already broke game balance just from simply being in game. And perma ban just bcs other player used item? Sth like this would never exist in real mmo. It would be nail in the coffin for any real publisher...

Seems like you not really understand what antihero means. Ofc Ainz is not hero, how antihero could be ever one? And like i said before what author wrote in end of volume one is definition of what antihero is. Ofc antihero can always choose path as villain in story, but its always his choice to make, he cant be labeled as viliain from begining without good background covering his past before story started.
Old 2015-09-15, 19:38   Link #5687
RDNexus

Quote:
That items already broke game balance just from simply being in game. And perma ban just bcs other player used item? Sth like this would never exist in real mmo. It would be nail in the coffin for any real publisher...

Seems like you not really understand what antihero means. Ofc Ainz is not hero, how antihero could be ever one? And like i said before what author wrote in end of volume one is definition of what antihero is. Ofc antihero can always choose path as villain in story, but its always his choice to make, he cant be labeled as viliain from begining without good background covering his past before story started.
I think you're seriously not paying any heed to what others are trying to explain to you for the sake of keeping your unfounded ranting... How sad...
Old 2015-09-15, 19:49   Link #5688
God Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidfe View Post
In that game you do also grind hours for gear. There are divine items that are super rare and normal players usually do not own even one of those. The angst of teenagers doesn’t matter if you provide the best game. They are not going to quit, especially after spending hundred hours into the game. There will be guild wars to steal those items from each other, therefore pvp will be extremely encouraged. There are raids and everything you mentioned in the game. It also has 200 or at least 20 game breaking items that everyone desires to get. After using them they respawn somewhere in the world. So even casual gamers can get one if they are lucky
Exactly, the equipment and gear that he is thinking about is what the legendary class and divine class equipment are for; not the world class items who are completely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namorax View Post
Okay, okay... I' sorry for not picking up on every clue like I was supposed to, but please calm down, okay?

I admit that I haven't read the released translation of the chapter, only the "Edit-In-Progress" version and I remember the passage being a little bit different, alright?
The passage I remember was marked and under heavy scrutiny because the RAW was as ambigous and vage as humanly possible, and trying to correctly understand what it was supposed to mean was very hard. The only thing I remember being rather clear was that they were allowed to request "something" from the devs. It might've been another item/feature in exchange for the caloric stone, that they change the item's use/function in the game or something completely different.
(Since "Caloric" is the name of an obsolote precursor of Thermodynamics, it stands to reason that the Caloric stone is something like an engine. IIRC there are theories that this was turned into a golem core and that either Gargantua or Rubedo were made with this. Well, it was revealed that Gargantua was obviously not the recipient of that Golem core, so he's out)

Seeing the way the version on Sky's blog is phrased, I'll admit that Caloric Stone does appear to be a World-Class item, even if I still have some serious doubts about how it is used.
Also, this is the first time I ever heard that the players can decide what the hell a world-item is supposed to do and then tell the devs what they're supposed to programm into the game. I know that they Devs update the game when players use a specific item like ouroboros or Five Elements Overcoming, but to do so every single time a player "earns" a WCI? Isn't that way too much work? In that case I thnk its more likely that we screwed up, translated that sentence wrongly and ended up with the wrong implication (it wouldn't be the first time we made a mistake during our translation)

I think it is more likely that Caloric stone can be used for various purposes (for example the Golemcore) and the players are supposed to tell the GMs what they want to do with it. At least that is my opinion on that matter.
Well, as I said before it is most likely only for world class items that produce multiple things or effects in the game not every world class items; some of them or most of or even all of the normal world class items are probably ''fixed'' in the sense that they have specific effects when used, however it is a different case for items that are apart of the twenty especially for items that produce various things and effects which is what the players can decide and that's why they talk to GMs about it, in order to know what they can and could do with these items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namorax View Post
That's exactly one of the things that I have been trying to tell you the whole damn time

Caloric stone probably have already been used to produce a golem core or something (for Rubedo; which could explain why she is even more powerful than Touch Me) since Pandora doesn't seem to know or remember it being one of the items they have, but as it was stated it could also create powerful weapons and other items as well so it is one of the versatile world class items.
God Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-15, 19:51   Link #5689
Dorsai

How can i pay attention when sb is trying to explain to me that hero and antihero is same thing? How can i treat post like this seriously?
Old 2015-09-15, 21:44   Link #5690
Mangafreak44

Quote:
Well from what I have read Yggdrasil was not an MMO, but a VRMMO, and it was stated that the main attraction of Yggdrasil wasn't the PvP or even the MvP gaming, but the sheer customizability of everything in the game and the large amount of space to explore.

In the first chapter it was stated that this was the main reason that it was popular. People didn't go in mainly to play against other players but to create their own unique stuff and build their own builds. It really seemed like a game where role playing was heavily emphasized.

In this context such game breaking things like the World Class items being allowed to exist makes sense as even if they are unbalanced and may make things be unfair, conflict and fighting with other players is not one of the main selling points. The main selling points was adventuring, finding new things, and making original content.

And for the record it was even stated that many players did file complaints about the World Class items and the game developers said that they would not budge on that as they were intergral to the storyline of the game itself.
Mangafreak44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-15, 23:59   Link #5691
Arvollen
orz

Yggdrasil is an unconventional MMO based on D&D. Which isn't likely to happen in real life because it'd be a massive pain to balance. Just like how full dive VRMMORPGs aren't likely to happen. Just deal with it.

Also, AOG are the bad guys taking over the world. Hence the title: "Overlord". I don't know what you're going on about, ranting about this anti-hero nonsense.
Arvollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-16, 00:03   Link #5692
Pierre

I could see Ainz being an anti hero or more likely anti villian, it basically means he is a grey character who has traits of both, ie in this story he is the overlord final boss, but ultimately a lot of stuff he does is positive and heroic and it doesn't even matter if that was his intention or not.
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-16, 02:16   Link #5693
Animangaxe

Quote:
How can i pay attention when sb is trying to explain to me that hero and antihero is same thing? How can i treat post like this seriously?
They are not saying anti hero and hero is the same, they are saying he was not an anti hero to begging with. He started as a villain.
As for MMO mechanics, even we fans dont have a clue how YGGSRASIL mechanics works, we only know it is based on D&D, and so, any other MMO that u have experienced it´s not the same thing.
I dont know if it is possible to create a MMO based on D&D, but the RPG D&D give much more freedom to the players than any other rpg out there, so every item listed in the LN it is possible to use in a D&D setting.
As for ur issues about how good the author is, I can just say just 1 thing. STOP TROLLING. If u don’t liked don’t read it, u don’t have to like it. but u came to a forum for the fans and start trashing it.
Animangaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-16, 02:48   Link #5694
RDNexus

Should we report the guy to the Mods?
Old 2015-09-16, 03:00   Link #5695
kenga

i think asking mode or admin ban this jerk(Dorsai) will be the most effective way. his main object is come in here and trashing thing and i extremely hate jackass from nowhere come in fan topic to trash about their favorite discussion place.
kenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-16, 03:33   Link #5696
bloodyriders

Actually having an opinion is fine, either it praise or jerking.
But his base to jerking is very laughable.

And for ainz action, it was started that he want to be hero (literally, but his subordinate misinterpret and think that his joke is the real goal),but his thinking actually is a thoght of anti hero (he helped others but actually thinking the benefit for himself), and his action is a villain doing, and he become more like real villain start from volume 4.
bloodyriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-16, 05:29   Link #5697
obnuchious

this is a bit late but need a confirmation...

Volume 06
Quote:
That was a flag with the emblem of “Ainz Ooal Gown” embroidered on it. The flag which should have been visible as soon as someone entered the room, laid crumpled in a corner of the floor. There was no sign of admiration or respect towards it, only hatred and hostility.

“Ainz Ooal Gown… How boring.”

In place of the flag of Ainz Ooal Gown, Albedo had raised a different gigantic flag instead. A flag so large, it resembled an opera curtain.

“This, Great Tomb of Nazarick is only yours. I, Albedo wish to only serve you. Ah… I want to hear your great name once again someday…”
is that Momonga's flag?
obnuchious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-16, 05:36   Link #5698
IndexOfIdeas

Been here in this thread for a long time and this is the first time i see dorsai, and this this is the 2nd time i see a jerk in here, the other one is the ungrateful leech that says the translation of the novel is slow dont remember his/her name cause its not worth remembering.

maybe dorsai is the type of player in a competitive MMO who whines when some guy has the imba items when he/she dossnt have 1.

maybe he is the type who says i dont like this game anymore because others have ImBa items and i dont have so this game is just boring.

If there i a system here where i can vote to ban those jerks on this thread pls do tell me how.

Mahouka, Overlord, Arifureta, Ark, LMS, SHieldBro

PM me if u can recommend me to some good light novel that are already fan translated thank u
IndexOfIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-16, 05:50   Link #5699
IndexOfIdeas

Quote:
Ty god for this topic, thx to info about how Arche story was dealt i will save myself from being attached to trash LN like this one and trash writing from this author.... Seems like author completely misunderstood how you make archetype like antihero. Ainz isnt one, its just complete trash, thanx to author bad story writing. But there was enough being said about this in this topic then i will stop myself from repeating it once sgain...

From what i saw in this LN i doubt that author ever played mmo games for longer time. World class items that desapear after using them once, seriously? Stuff like this would NEVER work in real mmo game. Gamers would made thousands of topics full on angst and force game publisher to change it in their game. Mmo are all about pvp and mass pvp and how wold it work when your end game eq desapear just after one pvp?

Second stuff is about Ainz being angry that Arche group invaded his tomb. Seriously wtf with is this? Its supposed to be mmo world oryginally, right? Then how any player could be angry about it? Castle sieges are important part of any mmo and players usually are excited that other guild want to try take them out in mass pvp event. Ainz is supposed to be former hardcore player, but from his behavior sometimes i doubt that author even know how hardcore mmo player even looks like (im one myself with 14 years of experience in mmo games genre).

then can u pls fcking show me a good mmo novel that can u a anime series like this novel then i may believe that this novel is really a trash.

or are u just a fcking know it all who is just all words and no work?

And for fcks sake MMO is not all fully fcking PVP want me to give u a EXAMPLe

PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2!!

if u dont know this then dont even dare talk about any shits on MMO.

noob who thinks himself as a pro.

one more thing those fcking world class items are not that easy to get specially the 20 so having those so called IMBA abilities and prestiges and bragging right are worthy for them.

Those who only whines about this kind of things in MMOs are those who dont have the ability to get the most imba items on a MMO.

edit:sry mods for the double post can u pls just merge this post

Mahouka, Overlord, Arifureta, Ark, LMS, SHieldBro

PM me if u can recommend me to some good light novel that are already fan translated thank u
IndexOfIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-16, 05:52   Link #5700
RDNexus

Please, stop. If that guy's intention was to stir up confusion in here then you're giving him just what he wants.
After a couple posts, I noticed that he's the kind of lurker that must be treated like all others, by ignoring him.

Tags
fantasy, harem, lich, transfer to another world, world domination