AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-16, 16:28   Link #141
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
I think most of us get that you don't like Haruhi.
Let me put it this way: It's nice to get a break from her once in a while. The problem is that the group dynamic is such that Haruhi is the big boss and everyone unwaveringly does exactly what she says. Her personality is so darn forceful that everyone else pretty much fades away unless they're explicitly given time away from her. Rare counter-examples exist, true (like Yuki in the Day of Sagittarius), but for the most part, you can assume that if Haruhi is in the scene, no one is going to get any character development. This movie kept her out of the way, and it's a better movie (and a better component of the series) for that.
Old 2011-06-16, 16:43   Link #142
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
This movie kept her out of the way, and it's a better movie (and a better component of the series) for that.
She manages to have more presence during her absence than she does when she's actually there.
Old 2011-06-16, 16:58   Link #143
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
She manages to have more presence during her absence than she does when she's actually there.
Only because Kyon is a *tiny* bit obsessive/paranoid. But I imagine spending a year in a company of a reality warper will do that to you.
Old 2011-06-16, 18:02   Link #144
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
But I imagine spending a year in a company of a reality warper will do that to you.
Eight months, and maybe it's because she's, I don't know, the female lead and title character?
Old 2011-06-16, 18:49   Link #145
Yumeka
Anime fan/Pokemon trainer

Quote:
Let me put it this way: It's nice to get a break from her once in a while. The problem is that the group dynamic is such that Haruhi is the big boss and everyone unwaveringly does exactly what she says. Her personality is so darn forceful that everyone else pretty much fades away unless they're explicitly given time away from her. Rare counter-examples exist, true (like Yuki in the Day of Sagittarius), but for the most part, you can assume that if Haruhi is in the scene, no one is going to get any character development. This movie kept her out of the way, and it's a better movie (and a better component of the series) for that.
Haruhi is my favorite but you do have a point there. Mikuru, Yuki, and Itsuki can't get much character development when she's around because they can't be themselves with her - like you said, they just have to go along with what she commands and details of their true feelings and identities can't be delved into unless Kyon can talk with them without Haruhi present. But I wouldn't say nobody gets character development when she's present - obviously she herself does and so does Kyon, both of which are derived a lot from his observations about her.

~ Yumeka ~
Mainichi Anime Yume - my blog
Old 2011-06-16, 19:01   Link #146
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Eight months, and maybe it's because she's, I don't know, the female lead and title character?
Okay? I didn't say that was bad. I didn't say it was illogical. You said Haruhi manages to be the center of Disappearance, and I said that's because Kyon thinks that the world screwup is because of her. Why? Because she's always been the source of these things since he's know her.

I'm just being objective here. I'm not passing judgment on any of this; I'm simply saying things are the way they are because that's the way they have to be. Haruhi is Haruhi, and the series wouldn't be as popular otherwise. I get that. However, that popularity comes at the cost of developing the other characters. That's all.
Old 2011-06-16, 19:48   Link #147
TheHaruhiIncarnate
Goddess

Quote:
Okay? I didn't say that was bad. I didn't say it was illogical. You said Haruhi manages to be the center of Disappearance, and I said that's because Kyon thinks that the world screwup is because of her. Why? Because she's always been the source of these things since he's know her.

I'm just being objective here. I'm not passing judgment on any of this; I'm simply saying things are the way they are because that's the way they have to be. Haruhi is Haruhi, and the series wouldn't be as popular otherwise. I get that. However, that popularity comes at the cost of developing the other characters. That's all.
Everyone is getting character development. That is all. Can we drop this please?

F**k Moe
Embrace Tsundere
Old 2011-06-21, 14:48   Link #148
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

OK, getting back to how KyoAni may proceed with a new season...

I was wondering how they'd divide up Snowy Mountain Syndrome

Spoiler for SMS spoilers.(Novel 5):
Old 2011-09-05, 00:08   Link #149
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Having finally seen Disappearance on DVD has me even more wishing for more Haruhi anime. I find myself wondering who would likely voice Sasaki(whose name appears on Kyon's cell phone address book in Disappearance) who is of course the "weird girl" that Kunikida has mentioned a few times(not by name of course). Having read the novels, I am excited to see her animated, but since I know the nature of this thread, I know I want to be careful with what I put in spoiler tags and whatnot.

So would Kana Hanazawa playing somewhat against type be a good idea? I'd love to hear suggestions and such.
Old 2012-03-05, 13:11   Link #150
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

Seeing how this is the appropriate thread regarding future Haruhi anime franchise shenanigans - I fail to see any mention here regarding the recentish news about KyoAni not having any plans to release a season 3.

This could be a troll attempt, but I mean it's kind of unlikely. Technically, some fans deem season 2 still part of season 1 (the episodes were just added in as an extension). Or they might continue on with movies/OVAs instead of the season format.

I'd actually prefer the season format, there's really no way for them to irritate us more after the whole endless 8 debacle...

Anyways, they are pretty stupid if they are going to just stop making haruhi. It's a cash cow.
Old 2012-03-05, 13:19   Link #151
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRanger View Post
I'd actually prefer the season format, there's really no way for them to irritate us more after the whole endless 8 debacle...
Sure there is -- they begin the season by adapting the short stories from Editor-in-Chief Straight Ahead!
Old 2012-03-05, 20:04   Link #152
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Seeing how this is the appropriate thread regarding future Haruhi anime franchise shenanigans - I fail to see any mention here regarding the recentish news about KyoAni not having any plans to release a season 3.
There's really nothing to discuss. If we interpret said article literally, then the franchise is over. If we assume they're lying, there's nothing else to say. For what it's worth, I've seen nearly no discussion of the article and literally none since three days after said article was published from the JP fans.

Quote:
This could be a troll attempt, but I mean it's kind of unlikely. Technically, some fans deem season 2 still part of season 1 (the episodes were just added in as an extension). Or they might continue on with movies/OVAs instead of the season format.
Again, people constantly go "troll", "troll", "troll" with this marketing when they're upfront about everything. Season 2 was confirmed and then canceled to make a "new animation." The "re-airing" and movie was said "new animation." Every time Kadokawa has said "we're making a Haruhi-chan/Churuya-san/'re-airing'," they've been upfront about it. It's the fandom that misinterprets what they're saying to mean what they want. Kadokawa/KyoAni refer to the work as either the "reairing" or 2009 edition. Never once do they mention a "season 2" other to say it was canceled on December 18th, 2007. It'd be difficult for any new material to be anything but a season given the 5 short stories prior to the next novel-length story, so OVAs/movies are highly unlikely.

Quote:
Endless Eight was made to fill out another 14 episodes to take the place of Disappearance once they decided to make it into a movie in 2007 since that story highly affects the universe and the stories afterward. I see more hatred of that arc from the international fandom than the domestic fandom because of the long wait for the movie (4 months compared to 8 (camrip)/14(BD rip)/27 (NA release)) where the "re-airing" was supposed to end. It's nearly irrational to me to see that hatred continue onwards when there's a great movie to end the full season and a release of two wonderful novels last year.

Quote:
Anyways, they are pretty stupid if they are going to just stop making haruhi. It's a cash cow.
Agreed. That's why you shouldn't read into the article posted by ANN simply to gain views. It means nothing.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2012-03-05, 21:47   Link #153
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That and Puyo, the one behind Haruhi-chan, is still going strong. And since KyoAni did animate that, there is the chance for more. If the comedy and/or story is there...and they can get the actors and have free time in their animation schedule. They currectl have two known shows in production plus who knows what else in preproduction or well along already.
Old 2012-03-06, 18:11   Link #154
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

Hey Ultimate,

Thanks for addressing my post. I'd just like to clarify I'm not really hating on the endless 8 episodes. I do think it was an interesting notion, almost like an A.R.G. in how they tried to interact with the audience by putting us into Yuki's shoes..

But, I do think eight episodes was a bit too long... some minor changes despite the different clothes could of pleased me, but 8 episodes of the damn same thing, even exact same dialogue! Maybe it was also the fact that besides Bamboo Rhapsody in season 2, everything else was kind of boring.

On a differentish topic, I remember Aya Hirano tweeting about how she was working on something that would please her fans; there was a lot of speculation if it was Haruhi or Lucky Star, which seems to be her most two popular series where she is a main seiyuu.
Old 2012-03-06, 18:18   Link #155
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I wonder if what Aya Hirano was tweeting about was in fact Konna no Idol Janain?!

She supposedly acts a bit like a mix of Konata and Haruhi in that live action show. The otaku minded versions of both characters instructing young idols in how things are I suppose.
Old 2012-03-06, 18:38   Link #156
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
On a differentish topic, I remember Aya Hirano tweeting about how she was working on something that would please her fans; there was a lot of speculation if it was Haruhi or Lucky Star, which seems to be her most two popular series where she is a main seiyuu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I wonder if what Aya Hirano was tweeting about was in fact Konna no Idol Janain?!

She supposedly acts a bit like a mix of Konata and Haruhi in that live action show. The otaku minded versions of both characters instucting young idols in how things are I suppose.
Given the timing, it's very likely she was tweeting about that role. Unless we hear differently, that's what I'm assuming.

Quote:
Hey Ultimate,

Thanks for addressing my post. I'd just like to clarify I'm not really hating on the endless 8 episodes. I do think it was an interesting notion, almost like an A.R.G. in how they tried to interact with the audience by putting us into Yuki's shoes..

But, I do think eight episodes was a bit too long... some minor changes despite the different clothes could of pleased me, but 8 episodes of the damn same thing, even exact same dialogue! Maybe it was also the fact that besides Bamboo Rhapsody in season 2, everything else was kind of boring.
I'd also like to clarify that my response wasn't meant to attack you and I'm sorry if it came off that way. The whole "troll" and not understanding about why they chose to make Endless Eight 8 episodes is something I've been wanting to state to clear up any misconceptions. I wrote a post on my blog that gives a good timeline of how the anime series was announced, changed, and then re-announced from 2006-2009. One of the posts in the "All about Haruhi Suzumiya" thread also goes into detail about that, but I think hardly anyone reads it and both posts were made/updated at about the same time.

The scripts for Endless Eight were written by Shoji Gatoh (FMP! author) for episode 1, Yasuhiro Takemoto for episodes 2-7, and Fumihiko Shimo (episode 8). The directors/storyboarders and animation directors changed each time and never repeated except for episodes 1 and 8. That's why the middle 6 appear so similar in dialogue. I like the shifts in direction/art style as they gave a good variety of views to the same script. Keep in mind that they were working on the finishing touches to the script/direction/storyboards/animation designs for the movie at the same time. The key staff were quite busy. (Intersting note, the script for Sigh ! was written by Tanigawa himself and the episode was directed/storyboarded by Naoko Yamada, the general manager of K-On!.)

Old 2012-03-07, 12:43   Link #157
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

Nice blogpost, it's pretty evident that you have done your research and/or have followed the Haruhi franchise for quite a while.

From what you posted, it seems like a Haruhi announcement should come, sooner or later. Back in your blog post you mention key dates in January and February (probably due to events happening in the novels? I'm unaware since I actually haven't started on the LNs :X), but unfortunately we have yet to hear of any news.

Another thing is the whole Aya Hirano deal about the scandal, her agency troubles, medical issues, etc. I think the whole scandal was pretty stupid, but that's just Japan's female icon culture I guess. To think she would get death threats from her fans because of that... I mean I think it's unlikely but did her scandal possibly cause a delay in Haruhi production? She is the face of the anime franchise - and to have her replaced would just hurt the series.
Old 2012-03-07, 17:49   Link #158
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Nice blogpost, it's pretty evident that you have done your research and/or have followed the Haruhi franchise for quite a while.

From what you posted, it seems like a Haruhi announcement should come, sooner or later. Back in your blog post you mention key dates in January and February (probably due to events happening in the novels? I'm unaware since I actually haven't started on the LNs :X), but unfortunately we have yet to hear of any news.

Another thing is the whole Aya Hirano deal about the scandal, her agency troubles, medical issues, etc. I think the whole scandal was pretty stupid, but that's just Japan's female icon culture I guess. To think she would get death threats from her fans because of that... I mean I think it's unlikely but did her scandal possibly cause a delay in Haruhi production? She is the face of the anime franchise - and to have her replaced would just hurt the series.
Reading the novels turned me from a casual fan into the fanboy I currently am. I highly recommend reading them. I'd expect any events in Dec/Jan/Feb to occur after a new season is announced though. The only timing/announcement that Kadokawa ever did was to take out an ad on July 7th, 2007 to announce a second season. Usually news isn't made public until merely months before a new season. Given what we know KyoAni is working on, there's no reason to announce anything at this point.

While Hirano's situation was bad, it's played up to some extent in the international fanbase. Most people cite another website which consistently run negative articles towards Hirano and the Haruhi franchise to get page views. While her previous agency was pushing her away from anime roles, it's not unheard of for agencies to deny past roles for other actors in Japan. Given how she appeared in Nichijou, there should be no cause for worry for a new Haruhi season.

Old 2012-03-13, 23:36   Link #159
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

A sudden thought occured to me. The Haruhi anme currently has two of the three Key-KyoAni leading males in it. Wouldn't it be interesting to have the last remaining lead (Tomoya played by Yuichi Nakamura as either Fujiwara or the Student Council Chairman?
Old 2012-04-01, 18:02   Link #160
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Here's a point that I thought about yesterday:
2013 will mark the 10 year anniversary of the light novels. It'll also be 3 years since the movie ran in theatres. Perhaps Kadokawa has planned to run another anime series to celebrate the anniversary of the novels?

(Just a thought. I've not seen anyone post about this prior to my thought. Someone on 2ch was making April Fools speculations and it got me thinking.)

Closed Thread