AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-04-05, 17:43   Link #1
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Spring 2012 General Impressions Thread: Post your opinion and grade

Well to quote a certain individual:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
...once again I summon the denizens of Animesuki to share their initial thoughts and impressions on this season and to update them if anything interesting changes.

Initially, I had planned to create an initial and final impressions thread for each season, but they got mixed up last time. So whatever, anything regarding any show that is airing this season can be discussed and updated; when the time comes you can update with your final thoughts as well.

The intention of the thread is mostly to discuss what's hot and new, but any thoughts on carryovers from previous seasons may be brought up, but do make sure you are talking about the most recent episodes (don't come here to rant about Naruto fillers from last year, for example)

Because it is still early, it may be a good idea to express grades in terms of keep/drop/stall if you're unwilling to give a rating at this point, or something like that. I'm more interested in which new shows are your priorities.

Previous formats went something like this, but obviously you are free to express your thoughts however you want; Your rating can be in terms of letter grades, numerical ratings, facepalms, Minkofaces etc. Or maybe you don't believe in grades.

Name of Series:
Episodes Watched:
Rating:
Comments:
Status (Keep/drop/stall):

Also, I would ask that any specifics be kept in spoiler tags, please.

Nobody will arrest you for violating any formats or anything so post whatever thoughts and try not to comment on other people too much.
Old 2012-04-06, 02:01   Link #2
monir
cho~ kakkoii

May be the thread title should be changed to "Initial Impression" from "General Impression" to make things a bit more specific. Personally, it takes me a while to form a general impression for any series. At times, it even takes a series to conclude before I can make up my mind. What I'm trying to say that the "Initial Impression" would probably make this thread more accessible to wider posters considering Spring 2012 season has just begun. The existence of a general impression thread, on the other, would make more sense at (or near) the end of Spring 2012 season.

My off-topic rant aside, saw Sankarea and Space Brothers and my initial impression on those two as follows: I've a soft spot for Human Exploration theme outside of our atmosphere, so Space Brother is something I'll watch. First episode was pretty decent also. I just finished watching the first episode of Sakarea. The two main lead are disturbing enough with their respective psychological makeup to raise my interest. I'm not sure what I watched, but I know I'll comeback for the second episode. The initial impression is that this particular show is in the making off an off-color romance story. That's good enough for me.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 07:32   Link #3
hao-sama

Send a message via MSN to hao-sama Send a message via Yahoo to hao-sama
saw a few (?) episodes.

Accel World
Great animation quality, as expected of Sunrise. The characters show the strangest emotions at times. Yuuki Kaji is wasted on Haruyuki. The only likeable (or at least most tolerable) character so far is Kuroyukihime.

Acchi Kocchi
Surprisingly awesome. The animation quality is great too. I only intended to check this out because Okamoto Nobuhiko is voicing the main guy, but man am i glad I checked it out. Started out slow, but got better after class started. I normally don't like plotless and moe stuff, but this is a rare exception.

Medaka Box
They all looked washed out, and the animation quality is horrendous. The directing is horrible, too.

Natsuiro Kiseki
A bit slow but i think the characters are fleshed out well. I kept on expecting Kanae Ito's voice to come out of Saten-clone during the episode. Kinda wtf at that last scene, but it's interesting enough to keep me watching

Sankarea
Interesting and the animation quality is really good so far. Saten Rea looks great animated . DEEN is doing a great job. Now, let's wait for a few more episodes...

Shiba Inuko-san
Random.

Shirokuma Cafe
Random but funny. Also, those theme song sequences are great.

Space Brothers
Interesting, if a bit slow. Hiroaki Hirata is totally typecasted onto old man characters now.

Zetman
Speed of Light? Speed of Light. Very interesting though, since the source is good. Also Paku Romi is always great.
Old 2012-04-07, 15:47   Link #4
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
May be the thread title should be changed to "Initial Impression" from "General Impression" to make things a bit more specific.

Personally, it takes me a while to form a general impression for any series. At times, it even takes a series to conclude before I can make up my mind.

What I'm trying to say that the "Initial Impression" would probably make this thread more accessible to wider posters considering Spring 2012 season has just begun.

The existence of a general impression thread, on the other, would make more sense at (or near) the end of Spring 2012 season.....
These are fair points, to be sure. But both I and Archon Wing have been using the general thread as a single place to give impressions at the beginning of the season, the middle of the season, and the end of the season (rather than making three separate threads ever season).

I have found that having all three aspects in one thread is interesting for me to see how my (and others') opinions on a show have changed as the season goes by. So we have used the term "general" to cover all three "points in time".

Of course this does not have to be set in stone or what not imo ...

That being said, I was going to personally wait until the end of next week before posting a response in here, as there are a handful of series airing that I am curious to check out first....
Old 2012-04-08, 02:22   Link #5
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Hmm, the reason I eventually resorted to "general impression" is because it's neater to keep everything confined to one thread, and people were using the initial thread anyways at the end and ignoring the final one anyways... I just wanted to see Spring as "spring" and not to wonder which went where. It seems to have worked better, since people just come into this thread and dump whatever thoughts they currently have. Which is the intention.

It's just like why I wanted to people to not just include shows that start in spring if they so desire, because there are shows that span over multiple seasons.

The idea is for people to develop their changing thoughts over the course of a single thread and they can update by posting/editing as needed.

In this case, general really does mean general. It means any impression that you have gathered.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 22:47   Link #6
Morisato

Uh, lots of short 4-7 minute kiddy shows with talking animals.

I see the change in industry already.

http://randomc.net/2012/03/29/spring-2012-preview/
Spoiler for All the Kiddy Shows:

Out of 50 series for this season, over 1/3 are kiddie shows. Looks like that bill is having more of an effect than previously thought.
Morisato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 17:33   Link #7
Kirarakim

I don't know about the others but Polar Bear Cafe is not a kiddie anime. Although the anime might be for a more general audience than the manga, I still expect they are trying to attract the original target demographic which is Josei.
Old 2012-04-11, 23:22   Link #8
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Name of Series: Accel World
Episodes Watched: 2
Rating: 8.25
Comments: Very imaginative.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep

Name of Series: Fate/Zero 2nd Season
Episodes Watched: 1
Rating: 9.25
Comments: F-15 chan!

Name of Series: Jormungand
Rating: 9.25
Comments: Her name is Koko, she is loco, I say "OH NO"

Name of Series: Kuroko no Basket
Comments: Homoerotic Basketball

Name of Series: Lupin III: Mine Fujiko
Comments: Very stylish

Name of Series: Medaka Box
Rating: 8.0
Comments: Actually pretty decent. It's very over the top.

Name of Series: Nazo no Kanojo X
Rating: 8.75
Comments: Urabe's voice is so mysterious.

Name of Series: Saki Achiga-hen Episode A
Episodes Watched:1
Rating: 8.0
Comments: Needs more crazy mahjong.

Name of Series: Sankarea
Rating: 8.5
Comments: I'm surprised how good the premiere is. The animation is very SHAFT-y

Name of Series: Shirokuma Cafe
Rating: 8.5
Comments: BEST OP OF THE SEASON

Name of Series: Tasogare Otome X Amnesia
Episodes Watched:1
Comments: Nice twist in the episode

Name of Series: Space Brothers
Rating: 9.0
Comments: You can do it Mutta

Name of Series: Zetman
Episodes Watched:2
Rating: 7.75
Comments: Something's off. Maybe its too fast for my taste.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep?
Old 2012-04-13, 02:08   Link #9
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well... I don't have any impressions at all yet -- but here's what I plan to check out:

Sankarea
Spoiler for plot summary:

Status: 3 episode probationary watch, wondering what they actually plan here... dark romance?

Gakkatsu!

Recorder to Randoseru Re

Natsuiro Kiseki
Status: 3 episode probation, mostly because the VAs make up the pop group Sphere and its an anime-original work.

Nazo no Kanojo X

Status: originally ruled this one out... but the artwork is interesting so if I can get beyond the body fluids o.O ... we'll see.

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san

Sakamichi no Apollon

Hyouka

Status: I always try to give co-ed ensemble series a chance.
Old 2012-04-13, 09:16   Link #10
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Koiken! ~Watashi-tachi Anime ni Natchatta!~
Grade: 0/10

Lol, no, I am not watching this.

Ozuma
Grade: 8/10

Solid, modern Matsumoto Leiji show. However, lacking anything particularly special to make it something memorable like so many of his old classics. Perhaps that's why it went untold for so long? Also, we all know who the masked man is.

Gakkatsu!
Grade: ?

Haven't seen it, but would like to eventually.

Saint Seiya Omega
Grade: 7/10

Stylized shounen with artwork reminiscent of the Casshern Sins remake. The actual content is rather uninspired, but style points count!

Uchuu Kyoudai

First off, let me preface this by saying I am a space nut. I generally devour anything even remotely related to space. However, so far, I can't say I am devouring this. It just seems a little too...well, I don't know how to explain it. It's like how Knight in the Area comes across as incredibly ridiculous on the soccer front for anyone who's actually played the sport semi-seriously. It's early yet, so there's a chance my perspective will change. I am usually pretty forgiving when an anime deals in any way with space/manned spaceflight.

Furusato Saisei Nihon no Mukashi Banashi
Grade: 5/10

It might be better than a 5/10, but since I was too bored to finish the first episode, it gets a 5/10. I suspect this is a show that I'll just have to be in the right mood to actually sit through. It's kind of like how I am concerning the Natsume series; sometimes I enjoy it, other times I want to fall asleep and put it off 'till another time. In fact, let's call it the 'Natsume Clause'. Plus, doesn't the world have enough 'heartwarming'? I think fiction needs a heck of a lot more of the polar opposite, myself.

Hiiro no Kakera

I watched about a combined seven seconds as I skipped through the first episode, just to affirm this is a male harem show-something I have zero interest in.

Shiba Inuko-san

Haven't seen it. Probably never will.

Queen’s Blade: Rebellion
Grade: 1/10

All I got from the minute or two I watched of the first episode was that Marika, from Moretsu, had given herself a boob job. As an aside, numerous people have told me there's a serviceable story to the Queen's Blade series, but I've never figured out if they're trolling me as I have never made it through a full episode. :/

Gon

Haven't seen it. Don't care for animals, other than the ones who grace my plate as a medium rare steak.

Kimi to Boku. 2

I was looking at a promotional picture of this pastel gir-errr boys' slice of life show and had to laugh at some of the poses I saw. Men (or boys) don't sit like that.

Yurumates 3D

While I'm generally a fan of 4-koma manga turned anime, it's usually only when they put enough gags together to put together full length episodes. It's a superficial filter I self-impose on myself that has probably had me miss out on some comedic gems in the past, but such is life.

ZETMAN

It's solid shounen (and, yes, I know we can go back and forth over the technically correct meaning of 'shounen', but we're all old enough to know the difference between technical definition and real-life definition). Certainly better than the more light Naruto/Bleach/etc types. I've read the manga, however, which is usually a strike against the anime as lack of suspense removes much of the drive that has me anticipating new episodes week after week.

Naruto SD: Rock Lee no Seishun Full-Power Ninden

While I have no plans to watch this, I imagine it'll be good for some laughs. 'SD' shows almost always are, regardless of what I may think of the parent series.

Zumomo to Nupepe

This show holds absolutely zero interest for me.

Arashi no Yoru ni: Himitsu no Tomodachi

See prior show's blurb. Though if someone tells me a month or two from now that there's a dark story behind what is ostensibly a kid's show, perhaps I'll give it a look then.

Kuromajo-san ga Tooru!!

Yea, not interested.

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? OF THE DEAD
Grade: 1/10

It gets a '1' for zombies. Even zombies don't save a show that then includes virtually everything I dislike in my anime.

Medaka Box

Yawn. At least Sket Dance has a female cast member with normal sized boobs.

Shirokuma Cafe

I'm invoking the Natsume Clause on this one, as I never made it through the full episode I tried to watch.

Recorder to Randoseru Re

Never watched season one and have no interest in season two. That said, I'd probably watch/buy it if I lived in Japan just to support Hirano Aya, assuming she actually needs it.

Sengoku Collection

Haven't watched it yet. Probably never will.

Sankarea
Grade: 9/10

I found the first episode absolutely hilarious. It reminded me of this ancient webcomic, that was borderline hentai, that had a subplot involving a character who did it with dead people (sadly, it was so long ago that I can't remember the name). I can't really comment on whether this show is going to have any real substance to it, and I find the female lead's voice annoying, but I still had a grin on my face through the first episode, so it did something right.

Acchi Kocchi

Not interested.

Natsuiro Kiseki

I managed to make it through the first episode and could feel my brain melting out through my eyes. Very pretty and excellent production values though. Just not my cup of tea.

Himitsu Kessha Taka no Tsume NEO

Not interested.

Accel World
Grade: 8/10

Yea, fighting shows based on highschool kids have been done to death, but so what? Sometimes you need something mindless, and out of the mindless fun this season, this one didn't make me want to 'fast forward' at any point. It's certainly not a show I'm going to bother commenting on in its thread, but it should be entertaining to watch.

Jewelpet Kira Deco!

Do you really need me to tell you that I'm not interested at this point of this post?

Baku Tech! Bakugan

Ditto.

Ginga e Kickoff!!

Sadly, Knight in the Area is already filling me with enough angst over how badly they portray the actual soccer, that I doubt I have the energy to watch this soccer show as well, especially since it seems aimed at very little children.

Pretty Rhythm: Dear My Future

LoL. You know the drill.

Upotte!!

The premise sounds like I should at least find it amusing, but I fell asleep when attempting to watch the first episode. It was late, so perhaps it had nothing to do with the show itself. I'll give it another shot at some point.

Fate/Zero 2nd Season

Alright, I'm going to come right out and say it. For all that I enjoy Fate/Zero, the plot moves at a molasses pace, and that's molasses in upstate New York in January. At least they finally killed someone. If fights don't start becoming a little more decisive, my affection for this far more adult version of Fate compared to Fate/Stay Night is going to continue tanking. Some friends have told me they have no choice to be super slow, as the actual story itself is super short. I wouldn't know, and I don't care.

Nazo no Kanojo X

Another show that put me to sleep during its first episode. Maybe I'll give it another try later.

Kuroko no Basuke

Pretty boys playing a sport I think ranks behind baseball for its boringness? No thanks.

Metal Fight Beyblade Zero G

Call me in another 40+ years when I've regressed to a five year old equivalent.

Cardfight!! Vanguard: Asia Circuit-hen

Ditto.

Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle 2

Watched one episode of season one and found it entirely uninteresting. No interest in watching season two.

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia

Yet another show I fell asleep during. Again, may give it another shot later.

Saki Achiga-hen episode of side-A

Yawn. Yes, I actually somehow managed to sit through the entire first episode. Don't ask.

Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna
Grade: 11/10

I had a crush on Mine (and pretty much every other lady from the Lupinverse) back when I was a wee little prepubescent kid watching the original Lupin shows. I think I still have a crush on Mine today. This is how you ooze sexy. Not via panty shots of 12 year olds.

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san

No interest whatsoever.

Jormungand
Grade: 11/10

Ah, that first episode was so much fun. The only downside is that it seems to only be 12 episodes. It's depressing to think something this good could be gone so quickly. Plus, there's something incredibly amusing as I keep thinking it's Hinagiku (from Hayate) ordering everyone around.

Sakamichi no Apollon

Gorgeously done and will likely be the slice of life show of the season, but a part of me is screaming in frustration in the dark recesses of my head at all that talent and budget being spent on a slice of life show and what could have been if it had been focused on something a little more...exciting.

Tsuritama

Tried watching it earlier and was completely bored out of my brains.

Eureka Seven Astral Ocean

Great start to the continuation of one of my favorite shows of the last decade, made better by Ao seeming to be far easier on my nerves than Renton ever was. Is it wrong that I find Naru to be filling in as a Talho surrogate in the hotness department? Also, glad to see Japan continuing the fine tradition of non-ironically giving masculine characters the most girly sounding english name/word they can. I mean...Gazelle? Really?

Shining Hearts ~Shiawase no Pan~

No thanks.

Inazuma Eleven GO 2: Chrono Stone
Grade: 0

I have this strange relationship with Level 5. I thought they did a fantastic job with some older video games, but after watching what they did to my beloved Gundam franchise, I think I am going to give them zeros for everything they ever do on principle.

Hyouka

Yea, I wasn't going to wait for this show to air before writing my first impressions, especially since I doubt I'll bother watching it, even if it is by KyoAni, a studio with a very mixed resume as far as I'm concerned (loved FMP/Haruhi/Lucky Star, loathed just about everything else, and I suspect this show is going to fall in the second category based on the premise and artwork).

AKB0048

Idols? Yawn.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 13:19   Link #11
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Name of Series: Acchi Kocchi
Rating: 9/10
Comments: The female characters (especially Tsumiki) are seriously cute. The male leads aren't half bad either. The show resembles Lucky Star crossed over with A-Channel. two shows I highly enjoyed.

Name of Series: Accel World
Rating: 7/10
Comments: While it looks good, I'm having a bit of trouble picturing where it will go from here.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep (for now)

Name of Series: Fate/Zero 2
Rating: 10/10
Comments: Epic conclusion to the cliffhanger from 3 months ago.

Name of Series: Haiyore! Nyaruko-san
Rating 10/10
Comments: The first episode was brilliant. Never before were Eldritch Abominations this cute.

Name of Series: Kimi to Boku 2
Comments: Nothing much has changed since season 1. But this is only a good thing.

Name of Series: Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? Of the Dead
Comments: From the way things look now, this season will be even better than the first.

Name of Series: Medaka Box
Comments: I like how Medaka is pretty much perfect in any way, yet still very enjoyable.

Name of Series: Natsuiro Kiseki
Rating: 7/10
Comments: It looks promising, but I'm not fully sold just yet.

Name of Series: Nazo no Kanojo X
Rating: 9./10
Comments: The excessive drooling is a bit unsettling, but overall, the first episode blew me away. I like the old school look they are using.

Name of Series: Phi-Brain: Kami no Puzzle 2
Rating: 8/10
Comments: I liked the first season, and this seems to be not too different, just with more intriguing (and more challenging) puzzles and new antagonists.

Name of Series: Recorder to Randoseru Re
Comments: Season 1 was pretty much "Atsushi gets mistaken for a child predator and arrested". Now, it seems as if they've decided to use different jokes now (which I think work a lot better)

Name of Series: Saki: Achiga-hen – Episode of Side-A
Comments: I like the new girls. Still don't resally care about Nodoka, though we probably won't be seeing much of her anyway.

Name of Series: Sankarea
Rating: 10/10
Comments: A boy and his Zombie Girl, probably the most awkward pair ever. Yet, the show looks to become highly entertaining, if they keep the general manga storyline intact.

Name of Series: Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
Episodes watched: 1
Comment: A Mystery Club in which the president is a cute ghost girl. First episode looked very promising.

Name of Series: Upotte!
Episodes watched: 2
Comment: Cute girls wielding guns, solid comedy, though a lot of a gun-babble eludes me, as I'm not a gun freak.
Old 2012-04-16, 18:01   Link #12
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

I am still slightly behind on the series this Spring, but at least from watching the first episodes of the new Spring series, I know that this is going to be a very strong season. I don't see myself picking up Hyouka or AKB0048 but I suppose I could fit them in(maybe)

Anyway:

Name of Series: Area No Kishi
Episodes Watched: 14
Rating: B
Comments: Episodes 13 and 14 set up that Enoshima has some work to do before they can contend with the top teams like Kama High and so forth. Kakeru discovers that he has a really great feint technique but has yet to be able to do it in a game. Interesting character development moments too for many characters. It's now pretty solid and Spring is a good season for it I think.

Name of Series: Haiyore! Nyaruko-san
Rating: A-
Comments: Having seen the shorts, the full-length anime is much better. Nyarko is a very compelling and zany character, and seeing a male tsundere is refreshing. The comedy just hits the right spots for me, and I say that sanity is overrated really.

Name of Series: Mouretsu Pirates
Episodes Watched: 14
Rating: A
Comments: Still a very easy watch for me, and still a lighthearted pleasure that keeps drawing me back. Last few episodes increase the interaction between Gruelle and Marika and Grunhilde joins Marika's growing space harem. The next arc is looking interesting and glad that Chiaki seems to be a major part of it. Missing Jenny who graduated. Changing OP/ED is nice too.

Name of Series: Ozuma
Episodes Watched: 4
Rating: B+
Comments: Story seems to borrow quite a bit from Dune and a little from Gattaca. Bainas and Gido are still the most compelling characters and the show basically strongly hinted that Sam's brother is not as dead as thought. The sand submarine tactics are very nice to see too.

Name of Series: Sakamichi No Apollon
Rating: A
Comments: Watanabe still has his grove after all these years. Great pacing, well done character moments. Kaoru is such a refreshing change as far as NoitaminA protagonists go(going from Shuu to him is like going from Yanni to Beethoven). Music is really well done too

Name of Series: Tasogare Otome X Amnesia
Rating: B
Comments: First episode skips ahead a little and is basically a lighthearted intro. Yuuko is mischievious and well-stacked for a ghost girl. Teiichi is likeable so he's got that going for him. Really though, almost nobody will see you copping a feel of the ghost girl in the dumbwaiter so that "not what it looks like" reaction was gold. Makes me interested in knowing more though

Name of Series: Uchuu Kyoudai
Rating: A-
Comments: Mutta is relatable protagonist, and it is quite rare for the MC to be in his 30s. Love the series love affair with space, and how it shows Mutta trying to rebuild his life and find his true calling. Just an excellant series and loving the very realistic sci-fi.

Name of Series: Yurumates 3D
Rating: C+
Comments: It's a 3 min show, so it's not a bother to watch. Just has a few jokes, but doesn't yet have much of a storyline. It is entertaining though
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep(for now)

Will post thoughts on Fate/Zero in a week or two. Added Medaka Box, Upotte and Saki: Achiga-Hen to backlog of shows that I will get around to watching later this year. My schedule is quite busy with 8 full-length shows and a short. Sakamichi no Apollon, Uchuu Kyoudai and Haiyore! Nyaruko-san are looking like three very strong shows that might not get the attention that the Undead 3 will, but I am very satisfied with them so far(and Mouretsu Pirates is still very good too)
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 00:03   Link #13
great king

For Winter Anime I watched Another, it was an amazing anime in most of the aspectsm especially the atmospher and its calmness that fits the storyline which is great too.
I can give it 9-10

As for spring Anime ,I havent watched any anime yet, but I am planning to watch Accel world, Sankarea, and Jormungand which I dont see any member here talk about it
finally Gakkatsu!
great king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 01:07   Link #14
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well, adding Tasogare Otome x Amnesia to my list.... the write ups in Random Curiosity have me intrigued.
Old 2012-04-18, 15:23   Link #15
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Well, I finally finished watching all the shows I was curious about (although with the notable exception of Hyouka), so I figured it was time to write up my initial impressions as well.

BTW these are in no particular order here....

A List (i.e. actively following with interest): Acchi Kocchi (light hearted adorable fluff), Bodacious Space Pirates (carryover - continues to be absolutely stunning imo)), Nazo no Kanojo X and Saki Achiga-Hen (both are stupendous manga adaptations imo), Sakamichi no Apollon (I think my fave series of the season)

B List (i.e. actively following): Tasogare Otome x Amnesia (prolly biggest surprise of the season for me), Haiyore! Nyaruko-san (absolute nonsense with no pretensions whatsoever), Uchuu Kyodai (if only astronauts were more interesting....)

C List (i.e. following, but mildly interested): Furusato Saisei Nippon no Mukashibanashi, Shirokuma Cafe, Recorder to Randoseru Re, Shiawase no Pan

Still on trial watch list: Natsuiro Kiseki, Kuromaju-san ga Tooru, Gakkatsu, Yurumates 3D, Kore wa Zombie desu ka of the Dead, Accel World, Tsuritama

Tried out and not interested: Ozuma, Medaka Box, Sengoku Collection, Upotte, Sankarea, Zetman, Jormangund

Curious to try out: Hyouka

Older series still being subbed: Hyouge Mono, Showa Monogatari
Old 2012-04-18, 21:44   Link #16
Echoes

A whole bunch of shows this season. I'll just quickly go though my impressions here. Subject to change, obviously.

The stuff I dropped.

Accel World.

Whether it's the somewhat trite plot and setting or the fact that the main character is annoying and looks like Cartman, I just can't get into this one. Won't be following it, which is a shame, because visually speaking it's sparkling.

Kuroko no Basket

Oh. This is about basketball. Not a basket. Not my thing.

Things that look good so far.

Acchi Kochi.

Cute artstyle and wonderfully simple. Pure and unbridled moe. This show knows what it is, and embraces it. Nice flow. I find the side-cast to be a mixed bag, but other than that, enjoyable show.

Saki: Achiga-hen

Looks just as good as the first season, but has an entirely new cast. The new cast is decent, but do pale a bit in comparison to the first season's. Still, this is shaping up to be some fun, super-powered mahjong. Good... not great just yet, but this one's just getting started.

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia

This will get some points for originality, if nothing else. Showing the club-room scene first with the ghost invisible, and then later in plain view was a neat idea. They are dipping their feet in a lot of different genres, with both mystery, comedy, a little bit of drama, and even some sexuality. They might be over-reaching, the first two episodes had their ups and downs, but color me intrigued. This one could have a lot of latent potential, and at any rate, it looks really good.

Uchuu Kyoudai

Adult characters, a serious subject matter, realistic art-style, solid music and consistent narrative structure. This isn't exactly my kind of show (it's a little too goofy for me), but it's very well executed, and that alone is enough to keep me watching. It might just go somewhere real interesting as well, if we're lucky.

Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan

Beautiful, idyllic setting, and a soothing atmosphere. The character designs are to die for, being absolutely gorgeous and cute in every regard. Probably the most attractive girls of the season. There seems to be a plot brewing as well, so perhaps we're in for more than just lighthearted fun and moe. Either way, I liked what I saw, and I'm expecting a lot of enjoyment from this one.

Sengoku Collection

The most underrated show of the season in my mind. The first episode was a joy from start to finish, with charming visuals and genuinely funny humor. It appears to be an anthology, so it is hard to predict if the quality is going to remain consistent, especially considering the second episode was so different from the first. (Albeit still very enjoyable.) This could be the dark horse, or it could peter out, but I'm very enthusiastic about Sengoku Collection. Please give it a chance if you missed it.

Sankarea

Oh, hey. It's Re-Animator! First off, this series has marvelous visuals. The angles, focus on the little things and beautiful character designs are a real treat. One of the best-looking shows of the season. The story is deliciously dark, with a grim sense of humor. I'm curious to see where they take this, as the premise is interesting to say the least. Ranko is easily the sexiest girl of the season too. Just my type of woman. The main character isn't terribly interesting yet, but at least he's doing something daring, and frankly, insane.

Upotte!

Not much to say about this one, except that it's lighthearted moe fun. Not going to make any "best of" lists, but solid entertainment. Easy to sit through, with restrained fanservice.

The best of the best.

Sakamichi no Apollon

Great characters, wonderful animation and a fantastic eye for detail overall. A dream-team working behind the scenes and an original and genuine atmosphere. A strong contender for best show of the season, just lovely so far.

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? Of the Dead

Back with a vengeance, even funnier than the first season. Haruna is one of the funniest characters I know of, and this show has the best post-ending segments ever.

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san

Almost as funny as Zombie, this sleeper hit is a high-energy trip into the realms of madness. Nyaruko is an incredible character, whose voice actress alone makes this show worthwhile. Surprisingly beautiful character designs too, especially Cthuko.

WTF collective.

Tsuritama

Absurdity from beginning to end. Sweating up pools, sisters in fishing bowls. I can't wait to see where this is going.

Nazo no Kanojo X

Drool sharing and scissors concealed in panties. It actually has a nice mysterious atmosphere going, and an old-school aesthetic. Don't know about its longevity, but it's certainly a curiosity.

Queen's Blade: Rebellion

How did this end up here? I... don't watch... Queen's Blade...

Ahem. It's actually off to a surprisingly good start... I guess it's come a long way since explosive, acidic breasts. Or not. Anyhow, it's pretty sexy.

Last edited by Echoes; 2012-04-18 at 21:57.
Echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 01:47   Link #17
Dawnstorm

Okay, I'm still waiting for Hyouka, but so far I really this season. It's much better than the last one.

In alphabetic order:

Accel-World:
Standard shounen fighter, but handles the outsider angle better than most. Keep. (7/10)

Acchi Kocchi:
Cute. Watch. (7/10)

A-Channel +Smile:
Uneven. When it's at its best it can easily keep up with TV-series. The technical execution might even better sometimes. As a fan of of the tv-series, I'm happy. (8/10)

Fate/Zero 2:
Looks and sounds gorgeous. Characters are great. Plot is servicable. (8/10)

Furusato Saisei Nippon no Mukashibanashi:
An animated picture book! Works for me. (My favourite OP/ED duo this season) (7/10)

Gakkatsu:
Quickbased absurd debates. Perfect for its format. The way it looks is a turn-off, but it's integral to the concept so I'd be silly to complain. I'll be sure to follow this. (7/10)

Haiyore Nyaruko san:
Good fun, but nothing special. Kana Asumi does a great job as Nyaruko - probably the main attraction in this one. (7/10)

Jormangund:
Visually appealing. Characterwise I'm ambivalent: they're interesting, but also sort of creepy in a non-good way. This bothers me. Haven't watched episode 2 yet, and can't make up my mind. (Judgement pending)

Kimi to Boku 2:
Loved the first season, love this one. If you were bored by the first one, well, nothing's changed. But I'm happy as can be it's back. (8/10)

Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka? ~ Of the Dead:
As good as the first season stylistically, but the novelty's gone and so far nothing much has happened. Still, good. (8/10)

Kuro Majo san ga Tooru!:
Oh, please watch at least two episodes. Many may pass this one off because it's a children's show, but it's just charming. You're not losing much time. (7/10)

Medaka Box:
Enjoyable and at times hilarious. People say it gets better, and I do believe that could be true, but for now: (7/10)

Mouretsu Uchuu Kaizoku:
Holds the line. My favourite show last season has just aquired lots of competition. But it's still good fun. Looking forward to it each week. (8/10)

Nazo Kanojo X:
A masterpiece. I so want to look away during the drool scenes, but that's part of the concept, and it works. Urabe is the perfect combination of creepy and cute (with the perfect voice actor). And that soundtrack! (10/10)

Ozuma: Solid, but nothing special. That reminds me, I need to catch up. (6/10)

Recorder to Randoseru: Why am I still watching this in its second season? Oh, right. I love the character design. It's so cute! (6/10)

Sankarea: So far, brilliant. Stylish and compassionate in it's weirdness. I don't even mind the fanservice. My kind of show. (9/10)

Sakamichi no Appollon:
Looks and sounds great. I'll watch this for the atmosphere and - maybe - the characters (depending on how they develop). The plot seems standard fare. (9/10)

Saki Achiga Hen:
Saki was fun, and this doesn't look much worse. It does look a bit worse, but that might yet change. (Of all the cameo's we get it had to be Nodoka? Oh well...) (7/10)

Sengoku Collection:
Cute, but utterly average. Has the occasional nice moment. I'm probably going to finish this, but who knows. (6/10)

Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan:
The Bread of happiness? The show looks as silly and sentimental as the title, but at least it has some charm. Let's see where this goes. (6/10)

Shibainuko San:
A mediocre school comedy doesn't get better because one of the girls looks like a dog. Still, it's only a couple of minutes. (5/10)

Shirokuma Café:
Good fun. Don't think too much about it, lean back, relax, watch. The main strength of the show is charm, rather than wit. (~8/10)

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia: I didn't expect the playful humour. I like the visuals. Better than I expected. (8/10)

Tsuritama: Love it. Colourful and quirky. Oddly enough I can't help feeling for the fish at the other end of the line. Maybe it's that talking goldfish imouto? (8/10)

Uchuu Kyoudai: It's a good show every way I look at it, but I just can't get into it. There's a sentimental dream-fulfillment streak that makes me oddly uneasy. I'd have definitely watched it last season, but this season it's crowded out, and it's not a light watch (like say Sengoku Collection). Dropped. (I don't rate shows I drop)

Upotte!: An ecchi show combined with gun fetishism. Episode 1 had one scene that was pretty clever, but I can't get over the creepiness of the premise. I didn't bother with episode 2. (I don't rate shows I drop)

Yurumates 3D: Neutral on the first episode, but thought the second one was really funny. This has potential. (7/10)
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 06:08   Link #18
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
snippy~
Wow, I'm surprised you laid it all out after writing two full impressions articles on the blog prior to that. Good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
even bigger snip
Another extensive list! Good to hear what you personally thought; maybe I'll look into this list again when I have time to find another series.
Old 2012-04-19, 10:19   Link #19
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Wow, I'm surprised you laid it all out after writing two full impressions articles on the blog prior to that. Good stuff.
Heh, it was a little exhaustive, but this one is bite-sized, which is really more appropriate (and less self-indulgent :P) for first impressions.
Old 2012-04-21, 15:18   Link #20
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

I've been kind of lazy with watching some of the new spring scheduled shows and therefore the only two I have had time for and made time for are Lupin III; Mine fujiko & Kore wa zimbie desu ka? of the dead.

The 1st & 3rd episodes so far of Lupin III's mine fujiko anime have been great whilst episode 2 has been just ok, anything with goemon in it will always be a double thumbs up from me. Not sure what to make of all the fan service though but I've never really minded it just as long as the animation is top class and the story is interesting.

Kore wa zombie desu ka? has been great, loving thats its still as quirky & crazy as ever its like a pandora's box of randomness and I just want more & more. highlights are the bear attack, The break dancing (curse dance) and the butt fetish (because I can relate to that)

Please guys if there is a specific spring show you feel I need to watch just give me a proverbial punch in the arm to get my attention onto whatever anime that may be. cheers.