AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-09-29, 21:22   Link #641
Anime Online

I'm very interested in the other Binbougami shown at the "s2 preview". I wish Kuroyuri would have shown up more.

Oh well.
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 01:32   Link #642
Westlo
Lets be reality

:\

2012 09/03~09/09 BD List
-- (**) -- *1,888 *1,888 *1 Rinne no Lagrange season 2 v1
-- (**) -- *1,370 *1,370 *1 Binbou-gami ga! v1
-- (**) -- *1,356 *1,356 *1 Kidou Senshi Gundam AGE v8

Last edited by Westlo; 2012-09-30 at 01:44.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 01:42   Link #643
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

One of the best shows of the year, imo. If this doesn't get another season it would be a crime.
Old 2012-09-30, 02:15   Link #644
brocko

If you want a 2nd season, make sure you support and show that we want it to happen. Sales might be dismal in Japan but they don't have to be elsewhere! Nadeshiko needs more love.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 02:16   Link #645
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Here's a serious question for the board, from someone who liked both shows: Why do you think Haiyore! was a pretty major hit on BD, and Binbougami was a flop?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 02:26   Link #646
brocko

I havn't seen Haiyore!, but a quick skim in google images and watching the OP seems to suggest to me that there are more objects of affection and the show plays that card a lot heavier than Binbogami. Not to mention there were some elements of saucy battle costumes and other-worldly combat as well (I'm inclined to think this assumption is valid since it's prevalent towards the end of OP). However like I said, havn't seen the show, so all heavy speculation on my part but the things I mentioned all tickle the fancies of the otaku market.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.

Last edited by brocko; 2012-09-30 at 02:38.
Old 2012-09-30, 02:30   Link #647
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Here's a serious question for the board, from someone who liked both shows: Why do you think Haiyore! was a pretty major hit on BD, and Binbougami was a flop?
Haven't seen it, but I'm guessing because of the protagonist being a male and most of the girls don't have sad pasts like the heroine of Binbo-gami ga!

OR

Maybe the harem played a strong factor in Jap nerds.
Old 2012-09-30, 02:34   Link #648
brocko

Yup, if the main character fell into the typical spineless archetype, then you know how powerful the effects of such a device is. Viewers are able to insert themselves into show as wish fulfillment where they are surrounded by all these objects of affection. There is less room to do that with Ichiko in Binbogami, since she's a strong independent women and stuck-up snob (two things Japan doesn't seem too fond of imo. I.E popularity of Rei vs Asuka in Japan), which again falls back to playing the bishoujou and harem card a lot heavily than Binbogami, if there are even elements of harem in Binbogami in the first place.

Overall, different shows with different focuses imo, despite the somewhat similar premise (random ass deity-like being freeloading in your house and causing all sorts of havoc).

Last edited by brocko; 2012-09-30 at 03:23.
Old 2012-09-30, 03:03   Link #649
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Those are valid theories, though in a perfect world I'd hope oversimplistic. Of course we don't live in a perfect world, but I'd hate to think that the presence of an ineffectual male lead could make much difference in its own right. We've seen plenty of all-girl shows do very well on BD/DVD indeed (the industry wouldn't be producing them in numbers if we hadn't) but perhaps it's Ichiko's unlike-ability that has as much to do with it.
Old 2012-09-30, 03:11   Link #650
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

my personal opinion is that nyaruko is pretty much the perfect waifu, i liked both shows and i prefer binbougami, but sincerely nyaruko and hastar are 2 great characters imposible to hate, also i see otakus liking/relating more to nyaruko characters, though i dont see why ichiko isnt liked whan she is almost sena kashiwagi with more spunk, and the later is one of the most liked characters in LN's.
Old 2012-09-30, 03:11   Link #651
Westlo
Lets be reality

Even though it wore off on me after a few episodes I thought Kana Asumi's "Nyaruko" was a tour de force performance initially, I guess the series picked up momentum from that. Ichiko also wasn't exactly the most likeable character at first, I think "right place at the right time" plays a big part in things and it's hard to gain momentum if you start slow. Also it seems more "otaku" than this show and of course the wish fulfillment plays a big part. Also to compare this and High School Boys to Gintama (same director), well for one they aren't as good and secondly they lack the fujoshi factor. (Jump's latest figures revealed that 60% of Gintama manga buyers are females)

Last edited by Westlo; 2012-09-30 at 03:50.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 03:21   Link #652
brocko

The spineless male thing is just one slice of the bigger wish fulfillment pie. Like I've mentioned, I don't know how heavily Haiyore! plays that wish fulfillment card since I havn't seen it yet but I'd be inclined to believe there's a lot less focus on that front [wish fulfillment in general, not spineless male] when it comes to Binbogami, even if it's no stranger to having skimpy fan-service itself.

Nichibro's also suffered the same dismal sales that Binbogami is experiencing. Both shows had much online acclaim for their comedy and were handled by the Gintama team as well, which sold like hotcakes (but apparently there's a large fujoshi following with Gintama) so I assume having relatable and/or attractive objects of affection plays a large part in sales.

Japan just doesn't like buying straight-up comedies it seems... =/ Hopefully the producers understood this and evaluated their expected performance targets accordingly. After all, if results on all the other front (manga sales and what not) still deliver, that may be enough to warrant a 2nd season as well.

Last edited by brocko; 2012-09-30 at 20:20.
Old 2012-09-30, 03:24   Link #653
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

o spmewhat can agree with you, in the comedic factor nyaruko was way better at the first episodes and didn't picked back up untill the last ones, but i did enjoy her and the series, but it hardly kept the tampo it had at the start(or like binbougami kept the whole series), also the visuals are more attractive in nyaruko, you can even see how sukeno kept adapting to a more moe-fied style as the manga advanced, and the anime took a "midpoint" character designs, wich nowadays can influence a lot in a anime popularity.
Old 2012-09-30, 10:37   Link #654
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
The spineless male thing is just one slice of the bigger wish fulfillment pie. Like I've mentioned, I don't know how heavily Haiyore! plays that card since I havn't seen it yet but I'd be inclined to believe there's a lot less focus on that front when it comes to Binbogami, even if it's no stranger to having skimpy fan-service itself.

Nichibro's also suffered the same dismal sales that Binbogami is experiencing. Both shows had much online acclaim for their comedy and were handled by the Gintama team as well, which sold like hotcakes (but apparently there's a large fujoshi following with Gintama) so I assume having relatable and/or attractive objects of affection plays a large part in sales.

Japan just doesn't like buying straight-up comedies it seems... =/ Hopefully the producers understood this and evaluated their expected performance targets accordingly. After all, if results on all the other front (manga sales and what not) still deliver, that may be enough to warrant a 2nd season as well.
Well, two thoughts on this. First, Danshi Koukousei did do about 2X the sales that V1 of Binbougami seems to have done. And I never thought that show would do much in sales at all, since all the females are clearly supporting players. Second, I would certainly call Haiyore! a straight-up comedy - more so than Binbougami, in fact.
Old 2012-09-30, 11:33   Link #655
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Although I love them, I imagine Ichiko and Momiji's characters can be quite a turn-off for some people. They're not exactly your average anime female characters, after all. Perhaps this is why otaku weren't too fond of this show.

Just a thought.
Old 2012-09-30, 12:50   Link #656
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

I would of love it bit more, if Momiji's was a male
Old 2012-09-30, 13:51   Link #657
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
I would of love it bit more, if Momiji's was a male
that would make room for a gourry and lina parody though the series .
Old 2012-09-30, 14:03   Link #658
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
You know it never occurred to me that despite basically being the kind of character otaku like (hawt, sassy, HanaKana voiced) that actually being the main character instead of the object of the harem chase would negate all of Sakura's potential pull on the otaku crowd. That theory makes sense to me actually.

Also I'd say otaku like strong independent female character plenty well. Just look at all of them in like the last couple seasons even. Just not as the main character as I said. For all your Kuroyukihimes, Asuna Yuukis, Yui Takemura's, Yuna The Aquila's and Layla Malkals, they're always relegated to second duty behind a male lead who they are extremely devoted too and who looks out for them in some fashion whenever they conveniently can't continue to be awesome on their own. It's this dynamic that I think is missing from Binbogami-ga that probably cost it. Like switch around the character roles so that Keita is the main character and it's Sakura that comes brazenly dashing into his life and brings Momiji down on the both of them and the focus is on a romance from Keita's perspective instead and I bet the series is at the very least a modest hit.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2012-09-30 at 14:18.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 15:20   Link #659
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

i do agree with you, but if this series had followed the usual dynamic i dont think it would stand out of the rest of generic love comedies, specially when almost every anime/manga/light novel has to the very least have a prominent love triangle, i also think the designs are a little too stylized to catch male attention, even the manga has been adapting to a more moe style, specially ichiko in the latest chapters, something not that rare when even mangas like berserk have done, to the point of including the chipmunk theet in little girls.
Old 2012-09-30, 15:29   Link #660
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Those are valid theories, though in a perfect world I'd hope oversimplistic. Of course we don't live in a perfect world, but I'd hate to think that the presence of an ineffectual male lead could make much difference in its own right. We've seen plenty of all-girl shows do very well on BD/DVD indeed (the industry wouldn't be producing them in numbers if we hadn't) but perhaps it's Ichiko's unlike-ability that has as much to do with it.
Your neverending idealism, despite being an up to your armpits anime fan never fails to surprise me.

As for Kaioshin Sama's assertion that otaku like strong, independent, females...I have to vehemenently disagree. What makes it infuriating is he obviously gets it, based on his talk about being relegated to a male lead they are "extreamely" devoted to, and this strange dichotomy among many anime fans continues to leave me gaping. How, exactly, is a female character strong and independent if they are clinging to some male lead's legs?

I think a far more accurate statement would be that otaku love seemingly strong females who are subservient to a man. It's a fetish that extends way outside of anime, by the way, so I'm not trying to paint otaku alone with this brush. We could get into the whole power dynamic that underlies many human relationships, and the allure of domination, with all its overt or subtle sexual tones, or how it's baked into men from the hunter gatherer days, or lol at how Charlie Sheen's Anger Management approached this issue in regard to women's smut while taking a step back to think about it all seriously, but that's probably something worthy of its own thread.

Getting back on topic, I enjoyed Binbo-gami ga! a lot. It's filled with things, that taken seperately, I really dislike, but combined in the way it was, it was great comedy. I would definitely approve of a second season if I was the man in charge. Also, I'm betting the subs helped in my enjoyment, as I seem to recall a blog where the translator essentially said they took great liberties. I'm not sure if I'd have enjoyed it as much if they had done strictly litteral translations.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2012-09-30 at 15:42.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen, supernatural