AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 110 53.14%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 57 27.54%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 7.25%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 8.70%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.93%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.48%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.97%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-07, 05:17   Link #361
LusterFlare
Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Still that does not change the fact: his action is out of selfish and super risky. He only escaped that mess thank to Itsuki (and maybe later self-revision). What set me off is how people still feel it's better if Kyon can punch Haruhi that moment, and think that would teach her more or some sort.

Haruhi can escape anything by herself(unconciously), while Kyon can't. That's why he should watch out his own action

Once again i will say: Kyon knows about the situation much better than many of us here. He knows Itsuki may not be there to aid him out the next time (just like how he thought he won't be around to stop Haruhi). The next time he get into that situation he will have to restrain himself against Haruhi, just like how Haruhi will have to learn restraining herself when dealing with people.
Hm? I felt that the destruction of the world never crossed Kyon's mind when he finally popped. It seems like he was dealing with an immature kid and just acted on his rage. He never considered the consequences of what might have happened if he really smashed Haruhi's face in. It is NOT fact that his actions are selfish, it is merely subjective depending on what Kyon was thinking. It is most logical that he never even thought about the results (for me at least) because he himself didn't even realize he raised his fist; he was simply blinded by indignation.

If Kyon had thought about how his actions would be world-altering, you can slap on the label "selfish" justifiably. Though I strongly doubt this is the case.
Old 2009-09-07, 05:37   Link #362
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by LusterFlare View Post
Hm? I felt that the destruction of the world never crossed Kyon's mind when he finally popped. It seems like he was dealing with an immature kid and just acted on his rage. He never considered the consequences of what might have happened if he really smashed Haruhi's face in. It is NOT fact that his actions are selfish, it is merely subjective depending on what Kyon was thinking. It is most logical that he never even thought about the results (for me at least) because he himself didn't even realize he raised his fist; he was simply blinded by indignation.

If Kyon had thought about how his actions would be world-altering, you can slap on the label "selfish" justifiably. Though I strongly doubt this is the case.
His act was for his self-interest but it can cost the others’ well-being. Can we say that's an selfish act?

If we can agree up to there, then please tell me if you think a person who consciously perform selfish act can be considered as selfish or not. You may argue he unconsciously rose his fist, but if he ever slam his hand down, will it still be unconscious?
Old 2009-09-07, 06:06   Link #363
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
[crack]Because she's jealous that Kyon and Mikuru tend to pay attention to each other rather than herself. Yes, I fully meant the italicized addition. We all know that Haruhi's equal-opportunity where that is concerned, IYKWIM.[/crack]

So... Haruhi's the bi-sexual Tatewaki Kuno... "I will have them both!!!"

IYKWIM... that's a new one for me. I hate coming across as dense yet again, but... what does that acronym mean.

Quote:

To be more precise, it means Brigade Leader. Notice the congruence between SOS-dan and Danchou?
I see. Thanks for pointing that out. Japanese honorifics is something I haven't really bothered to learn much about. But since they're used heavily here on Anime Suki, it's nice to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Haruhi doesn't make things happen not because she can't, but because she doesn't want to.

In short, she's not willing to brainwash the entire SOS Brigade. Not having some resistance is boring.

This is all subconscious, of course.
... If Haruhi was able to subconsciously mind control others, why did the CCP not hand a computer over voluntarily, as she wished? You can't tell me that she particularly cares about the CCP.

Personally, I kind of like the idea of a free will limitation on Haruhi's powers. Such a limitation adds drama and suspense, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
"She's exceptionally assertive, quite courageous, very theatrical..." aka puberty. Obessive behaviour about interests is nothing uncommon. Heck we're even on a board with mostly obessed fans. The personality is really not that strange.
Like I said to Jintor - it's not the fact that she's obsessed, it's what she's obsessed about. Her interests are quite unique.

Quote:

Most of the more outrageous actions of Haruhi are only possible due to the powers she has.
Haruhi doesn't need any special powers in order to have the interests she has, or the activities that she engages in. You don't need any special powers to dress yourself and a friend up in fetish clothes, and then go walking around school in bunny outfits straight from the Playboy Mansion while passing out club promotions. How many 15 year old girls would go walking around school grounds dressed like that, and for this reason?

Even within fiction, this is unique.

Quote:
The strength of the anime is that it uses very common yet somewhat exaggerated character archetypes in a new refreshing way.
Which character archetype is Haruhi?

Tsundere?

Genki Girl?

One of the ones that I mentioned in this post?

No, Haruhi is not an archetype. She may have different archetypes as elements of her character, but she's far more than either of them alone.

And Koizumi and Kyon don't strike me as archetype characters either, honestly.

Yuki... Might be an archetype.

Mikuru... Yes, she is an archetype.

Quote:
Haruhi is not really unique can be called a trickster according to the archetype classification of Jung. Similar characters are for example Ferris Bueller and Star treks Q.
I strongly disagree. Haruhi is unique. She's far more than just a trickster, just like she's far more than just a genki girl or a tsundere.

This longing to label Haruhi or reduce her to boring normalcy... boggles my mind.

Do you know what made this character (and hence this franchise and anime) popular to begin with?

It was how different and unusual both this franchise and its titular character are. Episode00 etched that into stone, and took the anime world by storm because of it. Back in 2006 and 2007, this is what people hyped over and fascinated about and joked about: Just how refreshingly different and unusual Haruhi was and is. This is what got me into this anime fandom.

Read some blogs; Haruhi's eccentricity is precisely what people look for in this anime, and take enjoyment from. It's her antics and hijinks. If those were normal, why would people even care?
Old 2009-09-07, 06:27   Link #364
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
His act was for his self-interest but it can cost the others’ well-being. Can we say that's an selfish act?

If we can agree up to there, then please tell me if you think a person who consciously perform selfish act can be considered as selfish or not. You may argue he unconsciously rose his fist, but if he ever slam his hand down, will it still be unconscious?
Self interest? Kyon wanted to punch Haruhi because she is abusing MIKURU. Kyon was trying to act on Mikuru's behalf because she would jump into a pool full of sharks if Haruhi told her to.

There was no self-interest in that punch. If Kyon wants self-interest, he would just LEAVE. But he can't, not leaving Mikuru like this.

Your attempt at trying to make Kyon look selfish is ridiculous. Haruhi is the selfish one, and as such she was going to get punished for it. Sure, a punch is excessive, but explainable under the circumstances.

Kyon, in this episode, took the lead. For the first time, he made a decision that the rest of the team is either uninterested in or unwilling to make. Haruhi will NOT get her own way without resistance.

You know why Haruhi assumed everyone will do what she say? Because they always did. But not any more.

Gods don't get a free pass on morals; they get judged more strictly.
Old 2009-09-07, 06:27   Link #365
Akka

Quote:
The message you quoted said very clearly : "because he himself didn't even realize he raised his fist", and yet you argue about "consciously performing a selfish act".
You seriously either have severe reading comprehension problems, either make a habit to only reading half of what you answer to...

Additionnally, it's not "in one's own self-interest" to punish someone. You don't really gain anything by it. It's more a point of principle.

Last edited by Akka; 2009-09-07 at 07:04.
Old 2009-09-07, 06:59   Link #366
mokuseimaru

Quote:

He's not being selfish. If Haruhi is allowed to do as she likes with no consequences because of her powers, it's going to hurt her as a person in the long wrong. Obviously, punching her would have been wrong (if he felt physical action was necessary, a slap would have sufficed), but doing nothing would have been even more wrong.

Quote:
"She's exceptionally assertive, quite courageous, very theatrical..." aka puberty. Obessive behaviour about interests is nothing uncommon. Heck we're even on a board with mostly obessed fans. The personality is really not that strange.

Most of the more outrageous actions of Haruhi are only possible due to the powers she has. The strength of the anime is that it uses very common yet somewhat exagerated character archetypes in a new refreshing way. Haruhi is not really unique can be called a trickster according to the archetype classification of Jung. Similar characters are for example Ferris Bueller and Star treks Q.
I don't think this is necessarily the case. Consider how she acquired the Brigade-room's computer. That was all her, for good or ill. Haruhi is an attractive, intelligent, assertive, and occasionally unscrupulous girl living in a culture that encourages passivity and conflict avoidance. So it isn't surprising that she's able to get her way.

And on a side note, I don't really think Haruhi fits the archetype of a trickster at all. Because unlike Ferris Bueller or Q or Loki, Haruhi is always completely upfront about what she's after, and she gets what she wants by taking it, not by trickery. The only times when she is deceptive is when she's also deceiving herself (as when she tells Kyon that she has no interest in love). If Haruhi fits an archetype, it isn't that of a Hermes, but of Ares---she's not a god of tricks but a god of war.

Last edited by mokuseimaru; 2009-09-07 at 07:20.
Old 2009-09-07, 07:22   Link #367
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
So... Haruhi's the bi-sexual Tatewaki Kuno... "I will have them both!!!"

IYKWIM... that's a new one for me. I hate coming across as dense yet again, but... what does that acronym mean.
If You Know What I Mean. It's used to refer to certain suggestive situations....if you know what I mean.
Old 2009-09-07, 07:30   Link #368
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokuseimaru View Post
I don't think this is necessarily the case. Consider how she acquired the Brigade-room's computer. That was all her, for good or ill. Haruhi is an attractive, intelligent, assertive, and occasionally unscrupulous girl living in a culture that encourages passivity and conflict avoidance. So it isn't surprising that she's able to get her way.

And on a side note, I don't really think Haruhi fits the archetype of a trickster at all. Because unlike Ferris Bueller or Q or Loki, Haruhi is always completely upfront about what she's after, and she gets what she wants by taking it, not by trickery. The only times when she is deceptive is when she's also deceiving herself (as when she tells Kyon that she has no interest in love). If Haruhi fits an archetype, it isn't that of a Hermes, but of Ares---she's not a god of tricks but a god of war.
That's a very interesting way of looking at Haruhi, mokuseimaru, and I definitely see where you're coming from here.

For me, Haruhi has the upfront-ness of a god of war but the tricky maneuvers of a god of tricks. Simply put... she cheats. Of course, you could just consider that good tactics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
If You Know What I Mean. It's used to refer to certain suggestive situations....if you know what I mean.
Thanks for that. IYNWIM... I'll have to try to remember that. It really saves you a lot of typing!
Old 2009-09-07, 07:43   Link #369
Bri

Quote:
Haruhi doesn't need any special powers in order to have the interests she has, or the activities that she engages in. You don't need any special powers to dress yourself and a friend up in fetish clothes, and then go walking around school in bunny outfits straight from the Playboy Mansion while passing out club promotions. How many 15 year old girls would go walking around school grounds dressed like that, and for this reason?

Even within fiction, this is unique.
Plotwise Haruhi needs those powers to escape consequences. A real girl would have to deal with the reaction to dressing that provocatively. Doesn't mean that walking around in provocative clothes in public places is not an uncommon erotic theme. Some things are just best left to fantasy.

Quote:
Haruhi doesn't need any
Which character archetype is Haruhi? [...]
The limits of fiction make it that virtually every character can be described by an archetype. It's just a way of describing the key traits of a personality. Don't confuse archetype with sterotypes, which the show avoids.

Quote:
I strongly disagree. Haruhi is unique. She's far more than just a trickster, just like she's far more than just a genki girl or a tsundere.

This longing to label Haruhi or reduce her to boring normalcy... boggles my mind.

Do you know what made this character (and hence this franchise and anime) popular to begin with?

It was how different and unusual both this franchise and its titular character are. Episode00 etched that into stone, and took the anime world by storm because of it. Back in 2006 and 2007, this is what people hyped over and fascinated about and joked about: Just how refreshingly different and unusual Haruhi was and is. This is what got me into this anime fandom.

Read some blogs; Haruhi's eccentricity is precisely what people look for in this anime, and take enjoyment from. It's her antics and hijinks. If those were normal, why would people even care?
Haruhi tries to be unique and find her own place in the world, it's that struggle which is a universal human theme. That makes the character recognisable and sympathetic to anime audiences while her methods sometimes are not. Also people love to see a daredevil that gets away with anything.

TMHS is a fantastic and fun anime as it is a combination of quality animation, great characters and very well written sci-fi stories but it is hardly unique or different. The core plot device of haruhi being unaware of reality(unbelievable as this reality may be) is powerfull but not new. See for example "La vita e' bella" for a similar concept.
Old 2009-09-07, 07:54   Link #370
Bri

Quote:

Deception is only one of the traits of Jung's trickster (what's in a name), as you can see the other elements are pretty close on the mark.

Fondness for sly jokes and malicious pranks
Unpredictable behavior
Not really evil, but does the most atrocious things
Can be a destroyer and a creator
Impulsive, selfish, grotesque character.
Duality of character – half animal, half divin or human
Does not recognize the rules of society
Appetites dominate behavior
Cruel, cynical and unfeeling.
Collective shadow – dark part of people’s psyche
Old 2009-09-07, 08:12   Link #371
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Plotwise Haruhi needs those powers to escape consequences. A real girl would have to deal with the reaction to dressing that provocatively.
... Haruhi does deal with the reaction to dressing that provocatively. The only people who know about Haruhi's powers are the rest of the Brigade (and the the organizations/Data Entity lying in the shadows behind three of them). All of Haruhi's other fellow students don't know about those powers, so their reactions aren't affected by them.

Quote:
Doesn't mean that walking around in provocative clothes in public places is not an uncommon erotic theme.
Precisely my point. A normal girl wouldn't be interested in such activities.

Quote:
The limits of fiction make it that virtually every character can be described by an archetype.
I strongly disagree. Most characters can not be comprehensively and effectively defined by an archetype.

And, in Haruhi's case, there's no one archetype that fully captures her, or even comes remotely close to fully capturing her.

Quote:
Haruhi tries to be unique...
And succeeds. In flying colors.

Quote:
and find her own place in the world, it's that struggle which is a universal human theme.
This I'll give you.

Quote:
That makes the character recognisable and sympathetic to anime audiences while her methods sometimes are not. Also people love to see a daredevil that gets away with anything.

TMHS is a fantastic and fun anime as it is a combination of quality animation, great characters and very well written sci-fi stories but it is hardly unique or different.
I strongly disagree. TMHS is unique and different.

Quote:
The core plot device of haruhi being unaware of reality(unbelievable as this reality may be) is powerfull but not new. See for example "La vita e' bella" for a similar concept.
The core plot device is far more complex than that. Plus... comparing an anime to a live-action Italian film?

Good grief... the differences in background culture and entertainment medium alone are enough to make Haruhi distinct from that, even before I watch a second of the Italian film (I've never seen it before, but an IMDb search tells me all I need to know there).
Old 2009-09-07, 08:22   Link #372
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
I more or less felt the same about this episode as I did about Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, so it gets the same rating BLR did from me.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-09-07, 09:20   Link #373
Bri

Quote:
Precisely my point. A normal girl wouldn't be interested in such activities.
You'd be surprised...As an example, in my old high school there is a tradition that the graduate classes pull an end of year prank before leaving. In my year the prank consisted of one of the girls going up in lingerie to the principal. She stripped in front of the shocked man and gave him a lapdance during the send off ceremony in front of 1100 students. Reality is often more crazy then fiction (ah the memories)
Quote:
I strongly disagree. Most characters can not be comprehensively and effectively defined by an archetype.

And, in Haruhi's case, there's no one archetype that fully captures her, or even comes remotely close to fully capturing her.
I just did in the previous post. Again stereotype and archetype are not the same thing. It's an outline not a full description.
Quote:
I strongly disagree. TMHS is unique and different.
Go back 2 decades and take a look at the Urusei Yatsura movies. I'm sure the people at Kyoto animation have.
Quote:
Good grief... the differences in background culture and entertainment medium alone are enough to make Haruhi distinct from that, even before I watch a second of the Italian film (I've never seen it before, but an IMDb search tells me all I need to know there).
On an abstract level both plot devices are virtually identical except that the world has to be protected from Haruhi, while the boy in La vita has to be protected from the world. It's just an illustration that the concept of a character that needs to kept oblivious from the reality, be it for different reasons, is a known one.
Old 2009-09-07, 10:34   Link #374
Akka

Quote:
You'd be surprised...As an example, in my old high school there is a tradition that the graduate classes pull an end of year prank before leaving. In my year the prank consisted of one of the girls going up in lingerie to the principal. She stripped in front of the shocked man and gave him a lapdance during the send off ceremony in front of 1100 students. Reality is often more crazy then fiction (ah the memories)
I hope she was pretty at least !

But the point is, it was a prank and a one-time thing. I doubt that this kind of prank was her run-of-the-mill day-to-day routine ^^
(if it was, please send me her number)
Old 2009-09-07, 11:54   Link #375
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Well, I finally wrote and also listed all the despicable acts Haruhi have done in this episode which pretty much made we want to punch Haruhi's lights out for hitting Mikuru on the head, although toned down in the episode, it's alot worse in the light novel and more violent.

Full Episode 13 Reactions and Thoughts
Old 2009-09-07, 11:57   Link #376
Lummie

I gave the episode a 9/10, merely because he almost punished her. If he'd done it, he'd get a 10/10 from me. Haruhi's personality really got on my nerves because of her abuse of Mikuru and because she can't accept other fellow opinions. Not listening to someone's advice because you think your own action are always right is just = FAIL
Old 2009-09-07, 13:09   Link #377
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

It's too bad this week will probably be the last new episode for awhile.
Old 2009-09-07, 16:08   Link #378
StRyKeR

Did everyone miss the scene where Kyon walks into the club room and Haruhi is seen doing her hair in a ponytail, wondering whether it'll make Kyon like her again?

This episode chronologically happens after the closed-space incident from the last episode of Season 1, so Haruhi knows that Kyon likes ponytails.

By far the best episode of the season, just for this cute scene.
Old 2009-09-07, 18:00   Link #379
Garet Jax

Quote:
He's not being selfish. If Haruhi is allowed to do as she likes with no consequences because of her powers, it's going to hurt her as a person in the long wrong.
That's what I wonder about most, especially after this episode. It's kind of hard to plan for someone like Haruhi but they almost certainly need to try, since it's unlikely they'll want to be lifelong Brigade members, constantly appeasing her whims in order to stave off disaster. Can you safely educate a deity/avatar?

On the other hand, the way things are probably makes for more interesting material.
Old 2009-09-07, 18:17   Link #380
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
"Handling things as they happen" is a plan that seems to be working for them. Sure, it could be better, but it's still working.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Closed Thread