AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-04-25, 13:52   Link #981
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

I watched My Fair Lady (1964) again, because of Audrey Hepburn, but also partly because of Jeremy Brett. He didn't exactly have a huge role in this movie, but his youthful and handsome appearance serves as a sad reminder to me that a great actor such as him is no longer around. I shall always remember him as the best Sherlock Holmes ever.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 14:44   Link #982
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

I just finished watching two awesome Japanese films

gangster high
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqTcHHLtMi8

crows zero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBHXYSSGV8Q

I really enjoy Japanese films and other foreign movies outside the US
Old 2012-04-25, 16:07   Link #983
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
I also watched Hunger Games just a bit ago and I'm among the crowd that really enjoyed the movie. It's not mindblowing, but it was an entertaining ride and I'm really looking forward to reading the books now.

Sherlock Holmes was a great movie, that I've seen only recently as well. So I was really giddy about the sequel A Game of Shadows.
It had grea visual and it had great action but in comparison to the first movie it felt lacking. Still a good movie, but I was let down after the first one. The plot was kinda meh and less intruging even so Sherlock faced his arch-enemy.

A movie that I only saw yeserday and I absolutely recommend is Intouchables.
It's a french comedy, about a rich guy who is paralyzed from the neck down and his new caretaker who comes from the 'inner city'.
How their bond forms and how they help each other is pure gold - without really trying to, they just become friends. And while it reads as pretty dramatic, the actual sad moments are sparse as the movie is simply hilarious.

Here a trailer (there doesn't seem to be an english dub yet?):

One of the jokes at the end really fit perfectly into german:
Spoiler for Joke near the end:

Oh and it's based on a true story. You can see the real pair at the end for a few secs.
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 16:10   Link #984
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
I watched My Fair Lady (1964) again, because of Audrey Hepburn, but also partly because of Jeremy Brett.
I had no recollection that he played Freddy in that movie. He gets to sing "On the Street Where You Live," too, doesn't he?

Actually, no. Like Hepburn, he didn't sing either. From IMDb,

"Jeremy Brett, who celebrated his 30th birthday during filming, was very surprised to learn that all of his singing was to be dubbed by a 43-year-old American named Bill Shirley, especially since his own singing voice at that time was remarkably good. "
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 16:15   Link #985
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I had no recollection that he played Freddy in that movie. He gets to sing "On the Street Where You Live," too, doesn't he?

Actually, no. Like Hepburn, he didn't sing either. From IMDb,

"Jeremy Brett, who celebrated his 30th birthday during filming, was very surprised to learn that all of his singing was to be dubbed by a 43-year-old American named Bill Shirley, especially since his own singing voice at that time was remarkably good. "
I watched his Sherlock Holmes series before My Fair Lady. When I watched My Fair Lady, I was a bit bothered by this Freddy character because he seemed so darn familiar. I checked and was surprised to discover that it was Jeremy Brett. His appearance changed a lot due to his health problems.

Old 2012-04-25, 16:27   Link #986
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

For me, Jeremy Brett was the ultimate Sherlock Holmes, Peter Cushing comes second. All others fall by the wayside.

Endless "Elementary" Soul
Old 2012-04-26, 03:24   Link #987
Merilyn Mensola
I am a Boxer

Yesterday, with my girlfriend i watched VOLCANO HIGH...a Korean film..

With the original voices (Korean) and with subs English...i have to admit that is a good film...i laughed a lot, special effects are done well,and the plot is not bad at all...

I recommend this film..

Trailer

Last edited by Merilyn Mensola; 2012-04-26 at 04:45.
Merilyn Mensola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 04:13   Link #988
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merilyn Mensola View Post
Yesterday, with my girlfriend i watched VOLCANO HIGH...a Japanese film..
Wait a minute, isn't Volcano High a Korean film? Or is it my mind playing tricks on me, coz I remember that the characters have Korean names. One of them is named Jang Ryang or something.

And yeah, I agree, it's an enjoyable movie. Pretty funny too sometimes.
Old 2012-04-26, 04:44   Link #989
Merilyn Mensola
I am a Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Wait a minute, isn't Volcano High a Korean film? Or is it my mind playing tricks on me, coz I remember that the characters have Korean names. One of them is named Jang Ryang or something.

And yeah, I agree, it's an enjoyable movie. Pretty funny too sometimes.

Yeah..you're right..sorry..i made a mistake...

i know because you remembered this name..Jang Ryang was the best..
Old 2012-04-27, 18:46   Link #990
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

I have just finished watching Mr Blanding Builds His Dream House (1948), and I think it's one of the best family comedy films I have watched so far. The number of misunderstandings, Cary Grant's witty lines, the construction of the house(what is zuz-zuz water softener,lol), the number of problems they encounter, everything is linked intricately.

I think Melvyn Douglas did an excellent job as Bill Cole. Sarcastic, intelligent, extremely witty but also caring. Favourite line: "It's good there are two of you. One to love it, and one to hold it"-Bill referring to the dilapidated state of the house.

If you ain't eatin' WHAM, you ain't eatin' ham!

Old 2012-04-27, 21:11   Link #991
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

This week I have been to see Marley (bob marley documentary) and the Avengers and both were so sexy I'd smash their back doors in.
Old 2012-05-03, 13:05   Link #992
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

I watched Barefoot in the Park (1967) yesterday evening, and I laughed all the way through! First, I must comment on how good looking Robert Redford was in his younger days, though to be fair, he still retains that good look to a great degree. Also, Jane Fonda. My goodness, she looked beautiful, sexy and absolutely vivacious in her role. Their interaction is funny and I could literally feel the passion steaming off from them. They both have excellent chemistry. Robert Redford as the traditional and rigid hero, while Jane Fonda as the lively, kinky and passionate heroine. This is one film I would not forget soon.

Old 2012-05-03, 13:20   Link #993
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Fonda's gritty performance in Klute remains with me to this day. I've seen perhaps 8-10 of her films, and that film along with They Shoot Horses, Don't They and Agnes of God are the ones I found most compelling. Alan J. Pakula remains, in my mind, an under-appreciated director for his fine work on Klute, All the President's Men, Sophie's Choice, and Presumed Innocent.
Old 2012-05-03, 13:23   Link #994
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Fonda's gritty performance in Klute remains with me to this day. I've seen perhaps 8-10 of her films, and that film along with They Shoot Horses, Don't They and Agnes of God are the ones I found most compelling. Alan J. Pakula remains, in my mind, an unappreciated director for his fine work on Klute, All the President's Men, and Sophie's Choice.
I haven't watched Alan J.Pakula's other works apart from Sophie's Choice. The scene where
Spoiler:

Old 2012-05-03, 13:31   Link #995
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
I haven't watched Alan J.Pakula's other works apart from Sophie's Choice.
All the President's Men is a remarkable adaptation of Woodward and Bernstein's book. It could have been a dull recounting of their exposure of the Watergate cover-up, but Pakula gives it the pacing of a suspenseful thriller. I lived through all those events, of course, and read the book soon after it was published, yet still found the movie compelling and enjoyable.

Redford's performance as the WASPy Woodward is quite good, too, especially in the way he plays off of Dustin Hoffman's very Jewish Bernstein. Redford is a pretty decent actor, but most of his roles haven't exploited his talents. Of his films, my favorites are The Candidate (still relevant today), Three Days of the Condor, and his two collaborations with Paul Newman and George Roy Hill, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (though I could have done without the bicycle scene), and The Sting.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-05-03 at 13:42.
Old 2012-05-03, 13:36   Link #996
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
All the President's Men is a remarkable adaptation of Woodward and Bernstein's book. It could have been a dull recounting of their exposure of the Watergate cover-up, but Pakula gives it the pacing of a suspenseful thriller. I lived through all those events, of course, and read the book soon after it was published, yet still found the movie compelling and enjoyable.

Redford's performance as the WASPy Woodward is quite good, too, especially in the way he plays off of Dustin Hoffman's very Jewish Bernstein.
Then I shall give this movie a try

Old 2012-05-03, 14:21   Link #997
ranran
daydreaming 24/7
*Artist

Was bored so I dug through my old movie collection.

Ended up guffawing at Sandra Bullock in Miss Congeniality again.

That movie is gold.
Old 2012-05-04, 06:32   Link #998
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Re-watched Fist of the northstar for like the 50th time, still great, so amazing the sound, love when Ken gets angry. The gore is just insane.
Old 2012-05-04, 06:46   Link #999
Merilyn Mensola
I am a Boxer

Just finished this serie with my girlfriend...she is the one that found it..

My Boss My Hero..a Japanese version tv drama

Synopsis

The show is about Makio Sakaki, also known as "Tornado", a 27-year-old yakuza, who wants to succeed his father at the head of the gang. But Makio is a little dumb, so his father decides to send him back to high school and makes a deal with him: if he can graduate he can become the new leader of the gang. If Makio doesn't graduate, the position of boss will be given to his younger brother, Mikio. And that is how the hero goes back to school, hiding his identity and age.

the show has ten episodes..for me is a good series..with a good drama..and funny scenes...

Drama+Romance+Comedy...

series recommended
Old 2012-05-04, 21:09   Link #1000
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just watched "The Descendants" with George Clooney... a very well acted but very odd depressing movie with strains of comedy. George seems to love this kind of "depressedy". Great use of music (it is set in Hawaii) and the young teens (the protagonist's daughters and a boyfriend) did particularly good jobs.

Tags
live-action, movie, movies