AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

View Poll Results: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 27 20.93%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 23.26%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 19.38%
7 out of 10 : Good 29 22.48%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 6.20%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 3.88%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.78%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.78%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.78%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.55%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-19, 20:17   Link #61
Yokai

TOO... MANY... SHORT... Jokes...

Seriously, stop it now. There's been like 12 in this past 3 episodes. It was ok the first time, but every episode, really?
Old 2009-04-19, 20:21   Link #62
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokai View Post

Seriously, stop it now. There's been like 12 in this past 3 episodes. It was ok the first time, but every episode, really?
Short jokes make up like 25% of Ed's character! If we take away the short jokes, there's no more comedic relief to be had! The plot would collapse in on itself from the 75% of Ed that's preadolescent angst-ridden!
Old 2009-04-19, 20:24   Link #63
Yokai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Short jokes make up like 25% of Ed's character! If we take away the short jokes, there's no more comedic relief to be had! The plot would collapse in on itself from the 75% of Ed that's preadolescent angst-ridden!
The last anime had less short jokes, and it was fine that way. They've wasted a good 10 seconds of animation time on short jokes rather than what really matters.

Though people are complaining about the manga scene comparison with rose + the gun, and the Hulk-Cornello, I found it much more interesting because of these differences. Their willingness to change this first half is really the only thing that is making this re-showing of events even slightly enjoyable.

Again though, A short joke every once and a while is fine, but really ever 2 minutes? There are easily other jokes that could be made.
Old 2009-04-19, 20:57   Link #64
velvet nightmare

sadly also the confusion between which of the brothers is the fullmetal alchemist will last for a long, long, long time
Old 2009-04-19, 21:45   Link #65
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

I think this anime's rushed.. wonder why?

after seeing the preview...
I conclude that next week's episode is just to sad.... argh

Old 2009-04-19, 23:11   Link #66
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
Bye Rose, you are/were my most favorite minor anime character ever.
Old 2009-04-19, 23:23   Link #67
Lelite

I thought it was a good episode. I'm even kind of glad they changed some things around a bit, because it made it more interesting. They weren't important bits, anyways, so it wasn't that big of a loss.

RE: Rose.

Dunno man, speak to some die-hard religious nuts and man do they sound naive and child-like. Very kind and nice people, but.... gullible much? Couple that with the idea that Rose is probably not entirely right in the head after only a year of losing her lover (usually takes 2-5 years to get over someone's death), and I think it was pretty believable, especially since she's like... the only character in the series who was this much of a wreck after a loved one's death, Ed and Al not included.

I mean, Ed and Al weren't much different before their failed transmutation - other than the fact that unlike Rose, they had the ability to take matters into their own hands.

And the short jokes... Well, there was at least one every time they're at a new place and around new people.
Old 2009-04-19, 23:28   Link #68
typhonsentra

This episode really shows how the Cornello story really is meant to be an introduction, it's weird having it placed as episode 3 after we've learned as much as we have about the characters.

By the way, Rose is really cute in the new series.
Old 2009-04-19, 23:49   Link #69
Full Metal Jackass
Most Senior Member

over all i was a bit disappointed with the episode. I know they want to cover the arc fast but I felt the dialog really suffered as a result. particularly the at the shop, in the church with Rose, and when Cornelo tells ed his plan. i mean i know we just tried to kill each other but why don't you tell me me you secret plan for world domination and we can let bygones be bygones. i know the boss characters have a tendency to do that but still the convo in many parts of the episodes felt forced, to rapid and did not flow naturally.

Side note, in the first series wasn't the SLA arc when Ed was studying for his exam in central?
Old 2009-04-19, 23:54   Link #70
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal Jackass View Post
Side note, in the first series wasn't the SLA arc when Ed was studying for his exam in central?
I think so, but they seem to be time-skipping a lot. If I didn't already know what was going on, I would probably be confused. But yeah, I think it was.
Old 2009-04-20, 01:06   Link #71
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokai View Post

I see you haven't read the manga because this adaptation has the same feel to the manga more then the previous series did. Even at very series moments there some jokes here and there that's how it is in the manga, the previous anime took itself to seriously especially towards the end of the series which I did not like made things too emo.

Anyways I did enjoy this episode this didn't feel rush to me at least compared to the manga.
Old 2009-04-20, 01:52   Link #72
Alchemist007
*Author

2 chaps into 1 ep. Nice. Love the random jokes and faces too
Old 2009-04-20, 02:38   Link #73
EoT
~~

Fantastic episode.

I am really feeling this new series now.

And I also really like that resonating bell sound that's played when he is about to do alchemy. It's quite pleasant
Old 2009-04-20, 03:47   Link #74
Raging_Raven

Guess I'm thinking like most people...

Doesn't this series seem a little TOO animated? The comic scenes seem to come too often. New animators much? Or maybe the director wants a different approach?

I do love the opening and ending theme songs though.

WAH! I do like the fact that they put in the scene where Ed changes his right arm into that awesome deadly looking blade. The picture in the manga always cracked me up.

Apart from Hulk Cornello they seem to be doing a great job sticking to the manga. Hope the rest of the series follows suit.
Old 2009-04-20, 04:32   Link #75
Sannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular Insanity
As immature as Ed and Al are (they're still kids after all), even they have come to the conclusion that dead people, are in fact, dead. Even if it took them a failed human transmutation to finally get there.
Actually, it took them a lot more time than that.
Spoiler for FMA manga:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular Insanity
Now don't get me wrong, Rose has had it rough. But compared to how rough Ed and Al have had it made her inability to cope by comparison rather disappointing.
You think? The brothers were just as stupid and immature as she is. Perhaps even more, because they still had a family of sort with Pinako and Winry (who is most likely the one who coped the best with the death of her parents) and the fact that they acted out of love but also out of arrogance.
Old 2009-04-20, 05:37   Link #76
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal Jackass View Post
The whole 'studying for the exam" was anime only material for the first series.
Old 2009-04-20, 08:08   Link #77
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

I am very torn to watch next week episode.. I dunno if I can deal with it, but at the same time, I so wanna see how they handle it.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2009-04-20, 08:12   Link #78
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Good episode (I didn't expect anything less), though the fact that I already knew what was going to happen did take a bit of the suspense out, though. But I will admit they did a good job on mixing it up a bit.

But, as much as I hate to say it, Rose's naive belief that somehow her boyfriend will come back to life had always been pathetic to me, both in the manga and the old series. As immature as Ed and Al are (they're still kids after all), even they have come to the conclusion that dead people, are in fact, dead. Even if it took them a failed human transmutation to finally get there. I found Rose's attempts to convince Ed, very clearly and atheist, of the existence of God. Or a god, at least. In any case, I might be Christian but her unconvincing argument made me think of a little kid trying to convince a skeptical adult of the existence of her magical, imaginary friend.

Now don't get me wrong, Rose has had it rough. But compared to how rough Ed and Al have had it made her inability to cope by comparison rather disappointing. I mean, I would have thought she would have been a little bit more grateful once she realized she was just being used by Cornello, but all I saw was a breakdown. Again, I am a manga reader, but this has always bugged me. Ed could certainly have been a bit kinder and less apathetic (he was solely focused on the stone), but at the same time Rose was way to clingy and dependent on a vain hope that was doubtful and dodgy even in the best of light. I suppose a lot of this stems from dramatic irony (where we as the audience know more than the characters), but still any smart person would have realized that if Cornello could really bring back the dead, he would have already.
Not a manga reader, but from what i gather, ed + al matured faster BECAUSE of the IMMENSE pain they suffered, well more like overcoming (to an extent) that pain, ed (losing both al and his arm + a leg), and al just going "oh crap my brother just sacrificed himself even more to bring me back".

On the other hand, you have rose who was probably love-struck (she IS a girl, and not to be SEXIST or anything, but i believe GIRLs are MORE attached than guys are...especially if it's her first love? Your first love is usually the inseparable kinda feeling - lovey dovey...hard to explain, you feel like the world is gonna end if you two get separated)...Anyway, the whole she believes in God? Yeah...i doubt it, she probably does it TO bring back her boyfriend, not so much because she actually believes it...At that point she's willing (pretty much) to do anything to bring him back...and even just that slight "hope" that he MIGHT come back motivated her EACH day to move on with her life. After that light of "hope" was destroyed, you really only have two options 1) move on with life...or 2) in the case of Rose, you can't cope with the fact that you no longer have any hope whatsoever, and have pretty much an emotional/mental breakdown.

Honestly, i find rose's character great, and i believe it's totally possible, (all her actions throughout the episode, and in the last series). It makes sense, it's definitely plausible...so Idk if my thoughts were at least conveyed well for you to see my point, but I think she's a great addition to the series as a whole, as well as part of ed and al's growth
Old 2009-04-20, 10:10   Link #79
Sonae
A l i c e
*Graphic Designer

Too rushed. Do not like.

Well, it doesn't seem more like the manga to me. Maybe later, but they should be rushing it. You can't get the mood aswell. Especially when there's so much humour.
Old 2009-04-20, 10:17   Link #80
KaoruLia

I don't get it -- they insert all the comic relief scenes from the manga into the anime and... 'there's too much humour'?
Closed Thread