AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2008-04-26, 08:29   Link #541
d-one

it's strange that you guys keep the bad profile for shinji.

If you see his story within the story it's not strange that he become like that

Spoiler for shinji:
d-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 10:09   Link #542
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-one View Post
it's strange that you guys keep the bad profile for shinji.
It often baffles me when people are quick to label him as wimpy, whiny, emo, etc, without taking into the background of his life and how he has been thrust into the situation he is in. Most everyone expect the hero to be cool, smart, handsome/dashing, strong, cocky, adventurous and Shinji must have thrown them for a loop for being the reverse of their expectations. Look closely and you will see Shinji has been designed to be like the general description of the anime otaku kids in Japan - introverted, submissive, out-of-place, feeling unloved. He is a very interesting and well-realised character which has a bit more reality and believability compared to many of the cookie cutter "heroes/heroines" we get in anime.

As mentioned in earlier posts, the character of Shinji is a subversion. This subversion is a masterstroke to puncture stereotypes then and introduce the hidden strengths that some of these outcasts in life could have. Imagine the world being saved by someone that most teenagers look down on as the easily bullied whiny emo wimp. This "wimp" goes through hell, barely holds on to his sanity and manages to get it done but at great cost to himself - in certain ways, selfless, and also having the courage to endure - key elements for a hero and an unwilling one at that. In all likelihood, none of his critics would have been able to get through even half of the harrowing situations he experienced. Must have really rankled some people's chains - could all this loathing be disguised envy?
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 10:11   Link #543
Tormenk

The theory of it being set after EoE does have hints sprinkled throughout the movie but that's for another time.

Shinji in the anime series and the subsequent movies went through some ups and a lot of downs. He was picking himself up in a positive direction before a chain of events came in successive sequence. Those events proved overwhelming to him and he lost his courage to continue moving on. By the time he had stood up once again (somewhat), it was already too late for changes. That's how his situation is in my eyes, a normal boy who was brought down by events in life as he made his way through it. It is sad that things ended the way they did but that's history.

However, with the changes in the new movie(s) I'm hoping for a change in a more positive direction as the story is retold here. Of course I'm not hoping things to be all fine and dandy for the rest of the story but I do wish for a more positive conclusion in the end. ()

Btw, the DVDs should be already out if I'm not wrong. Any fixed dates for the distribution into rest of Asia yet?

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 10:24   Link #544
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post
Btw, the DVDs should be already out if I'm not wrong.
Yes, the R2J DVDs are out. I received my R2J Limited Edition DVD set yesterday

Quote:
Any fixed dates for the distribution into rest of Asia yet?
No idea. It is confirmed that there will be an R3TW (Region 3 Taiwan) release - check Proware's (the Taiwanese licensor) site for the movie (link) for any updates.
Old 2008-04-26, 10:29   Link #545
Ottocycle

Quote:
Btw, the DVDs should be already out if I'm not wrong. Any fixed dates for the distribution into rest of Asia yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post

No idea. It is confirmed that there will be an R3TW (Region 3 Taiwan) release - check Proware's (the Taiwanese licensor) site for the movie (link) for any updates.
As for us, Tormenk, Innoform's brought the movie to screens here faster than any other country aside from South Korea and Japan. Given that I saw Vexille DVDs at that CD/DVD retailer at The Cathay being sold barely three months after its screening here (I saw them 17/3, Vexille premiered 28/12/07), we only have two more months or so to wait. Not to mention with those packed theatres for 2 weeks, they'd be either nuts, or legally bounded not to release those DVDs here.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 11:56   Link #546
Hagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post

If i may ask what is actually in the Limited Edition? I've been trying to decide whether to get the Standard or LE but can't seem to find much info about the LE.
Hagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 12:15   Link #547
B.K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagi View Post
If i may ask what is actually in the Limited Edition? I've been trying to decide whether to get the Standard or LE but can't seem to find much info about the LE.
The biggest thing is that the LE includes Evangelion 1.01. The regular edition doesn't.
B.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 12:34   Link #548
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Let's see... what comes with the Limited Edition are the main feature DVD, the extras DVD, a multi-page foldout which provides info regarding the characters, the movie, and the extras provided, AND a few frames from the film reel of the movie with a simple cardboard stand for it. Of course, there's a small little case/box to wrap it all up. The DVDs are housed in a duo-fold digipak - the left side sleeve holds the foldout and the black cardboard frame (with the film reel snip contained within), the main DVD in the centre slot and the extras DVD in the right slot. Ah.. what the heck:
Spoiler for A snapshot of the digipak contents:
Old 2008-04-26, 12:50   Link #549
Hagi

Thanks alot definately seems worth it.

I was just about to order it from amazon.jp but it seems it's only on the marketplace now. DX
Old 2008-04-26, 13:38   Link #550
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh
It often baffles me when people are quick to label him as wimpy, whiny, emo, etc, without taking into the background of his life and how he has been thrust into the situation he is in. Most everyone expect the hero to be cool, smart, handsome/dashing, strong, cocky, adventurous and Shinji must have thrown them for a loop for being the reverse of their expectations.
Don't get me wrong. I do understand that Shinji is an iconoclastic character who subverts the usual hero stereotypes in shounen anime. But that is also precisely why he is very unlikeable in many ways. Interesting does not mean you have to like him, you know. Viewers are reacting to him exactly the way Hideo Anno wanted them to do so. Shinji wouldn't be so "memorable" if he weren't the "King of Emos".
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 13:47   Link #551
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

What scene is your film strip from, Leongsh? Still waiting for mine before watching it >_<

Check out these ads for the LE DVD in Akiba

"I must buy this! I must buy this! I must buy this!"
Original line: "I mustn't run away! I mustn't run away! I mustn't run away!"

"Will you buy this?"
Original line: "Will you get off?"

"I think... This is my third copy.", "Just buy it"
Original line:"I think... I must be the third.", "Just smile"

Quote:
Thanks alot definately seems worth it.

I was just about to order it from amazon.jp but it seems it's only on the marketplace now. DX
Both Play-Asia and YesAsia have the DVD too so you could always order from them and save the high handling and delivery fee Amazon JP charges now for international postage ^^;
Xcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 14:45   Link #552
Hagi

Decided to get it from HMV Japan was only about £29 incl shipping which is miles better than the 40 plus i'd have to pay from either PA or YA. Add to the fact we have to pay ridiculous custom charges it was the cheapest best option for me.

It said i should get it by wednesday so i'll have to hold out from watching the subs till then xD

Thanks for the help!
Old 2008-04-27, 00:17   Link #553
The Undertaker
OCTB Undercover

I'm too convinced that this is actually the sequel to EVA and I really need to hear people's opinions based on my proof~

Spoiler for Do Not Click Unless You Watched The Movie:

Please let me know what you think of my evidence and if it's believable.

Last edited by The Undertaker; 2008-04-27 at 00:22. Reason: Forgot to add something
The Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 00:47   Link #554
leongsh
Daijoubu!

While the evidence provided is speculative and probable of a post-EoE world that has restarted, I'm not going to speculate and let the continuing movies do the talking, so to speak. We'll know better by the end of it all.
Old 2008-04-27, 03:25   Link #555
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Undertaker View Post
I'm too convinced that this is actually the sequel to EVA and I really need to hear people's opinions based on my proof~

Spoiler for Do Not Click Unless You Watched The Movie:

That's a very solid theory IMO, I kept wondering about that mark of a giant on the ground.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 06:37   Link #556
Gsus

I'm not entirely convinced... yet.

Spoiler for Movie speculation:
Gsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 18:50   Link #557
Ransom

Does anyone know what Rei's book in the hospital scene was? The angel (obv obv) illustration underneath the text looked kinda like a Gustav Dore, which leads me to suspect that it's Paradise Lost.

Also, has anyone managed to recognize the arcana on the back of the SEELE monoliths? My crappy german translating has got the text on the front down to "Something something directed God, as we arranged," but I can't find any definitions for the first two words.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 19:00   Link #558
Kisuke06
I see...

So, was the movie translated? I cant find the sub anywhere. >.<
Kisuke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 19:30   Link #559
Ransom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisuke06 View Post
So, was the movie translated? I cant find the sub anywhere. >.<
Try the front page of the website with which this forum is associated.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 19:39   Link #560
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Quote:
Decided to get it from HMV Japan was only about £29 incl shipping which is miles better than the 40 plus i'd have to pay from either PA or YA. Add to the fact we have to pay ridiculous custom charges it was the cheapest best option for me.

It said i should get it by wednesday so i'll have to hold out from watching the subs till then xD

Thanks for the help!
That's pretty much what I got it for from PA. I have yet to get charged for the games and DVDs I import with PA and YA.

The only time I ever got charged for customs and handling was when I ordered a Full Metal Panic DVD from Amazon JP and I had to pay £15 extra for it... That was nasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Undertaker View Post

Haven't watched it yet but as far as I know, Rebuild is supposed to be the show re-written and improved in quality using the latest technology while preserving the original sources at the same time to meet the demands of the "new age". That means for example using new 3D CG effects and attempting to amplify the impact of the dramatic scenes. The official site also states it's not a sequel.

Of course, maybe 10 or 20 years from now, they'll do it again and say, "An all new Evangelion experience!"
Xcomp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movie, remake