AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-12-22, 01:08   Link #1241
deadite

I think they'll blow us away with a send off piece for the seniors next episode. It will be anime original.

Also my theory that they didn't show the performance was one, they wanted to focus on the characters, second it would be redundant since we've heard Crescent Moon Dance twice already. Third they only got bronze, imagine if they showed their best performance and then followed by a bronze award. Lastly, they have something in store for the finale.

Last edited by deadite; 2016-12-22 at 01:34.
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-22, 02:26   Link #1242
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingUranium View Post
and KyoAni's track record with (not) adapting sequels seems pretty bad. I'm looking at you, K-ON! season 3.
In what universe?

KyoAni is the most consistent producer of anime sequels in the anime industry. Everything they made that they own the IP of, no matter how badly it sold, got at least one sequel. If you can't expect sequels from KyoAni then you can't expect sequels from anyone else.

I have a reply ready just in case you try to argue otherwise. And think carefully before claiming I am wrong.
Old 2016-12-22, 03:04   Link #1243
shanimebib
Neo Venezia-jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
Personally, I was expecting at least a silver, if not for them to get gold first try, but I guess there has to be something for the cast to shoot for next year, and it means we have the potential for a season 3, assuming Takeda keeps publishing light novels. Personally, I would like to see her continue the story until Kitauji actually makes the gold. That said, if the LN and anime are continued, I will definitely miss Asuka- she just had such a presence in the anime, and was by far my favorite character. Here's hoping she makes good on her promise to show up and check on the band next year!
Just to let you know, Takeda is a novel author and she doesn't write light novels. Hibike! Euphonium is her second novel and it is complete. She said she won't write beyond the Anecdote Volume (Vol. 4).

Her third novel is Marching Band of Rikka Koukou with Azusa (Kumiko's friend from middle school years and in BleedingUranium's current sig) as the main character. It already has two volumes out where Rikka High School is seen competing for the Nationals in the Marching Band competition. Well, we already got spoiled in that aspect as Azusa revealed to Kumiko that their school made it to the Nationals (Episode 7, Season 2).

The novel got similar reception as Hibike! Euphonium did. But I am almost 100% sure it won't be animated. There is also this suggestion that Rikka's story is actually better than Kitauji's.
Old 2016-12-22, 03:24   Link #1244
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
KyoAni is the most consistent producer of anime sequels in the anime industry. Everything they made that they own the IP of, no matter how badly it sold, got at least one sequel. If you can't expect sequels from KyoAni then you can't expect sequels from anyone else.
You just made me mad because Hyouka S2 remains elusive still. ;_____;

On a serious note, Musaigen no Phantom World and Kyoukai no Kanata do not have sequels. KnK had a movie that fully diverges the anime plot with the LN plot. Phantom World also went on a similar divergent plot from the original, so it would be difficult to determine if a sequel is even possible.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-22, 03:37   Link #1245
shanimebib
Neo Venezia-jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
You just made me mad because Hyouka S2 remains elusive still. ;_____;
You do know that Hyouka has been on hiatus for a long time?

The 22 episode anime covered 4 volumes out of the available 5 volumes. The sixth volume came out six years after the fifth, that is last month (Nov, 2016).

The same can be said about Suzumiya Haruhi.

My only complain is how Japan failed to appreciate the masterpiece as it is — Nichijou. I have seen everything that is KyoAni (except for Munto TV) but Nichijou and Clannad AS (and now Hibike!) hold very special place in my heart.
Old 2016-12-22, 03:38   Link #1246
BleedingUranium
Who has the most fun wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
In what universe?

I have a reply ready just in case you try to argue otherwise. And think carefully before claiming I am wrong.
Well never making third seasons is how I heard it; I really don't follow studios or much else in terms of production and all that.

But K-ON! still never got a third season, when a third season (adapting Vol5/6) plus one more anime-original movie would have been the perfect way to close the series, that's all I really care about with regards to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanimebib View Post
The novel got similar reception as Hibike! Euphonium did. But I am almost 100% sure it won't be animated. There is also this suggestion that Rikka's story is actually better than Kitauji's.
I (unfortunately) don't know anything about those novels past the cover artwork, but it given Rikka's reputation it would definitely allow a grand, epic, gold-winning finale that would have been out of place here, and being for marching band makes it considerably different than the original series (especially if it were in animated form).

Quote:
My only complain is how Japan failed to appreciate the masterpiece as it is — Nichijou. I have seen everything that is KyoAni (except for Munto TV) but Nichijou and Clannad AS (and now Hibike!) hold very special place in my heart.
I always forget that it was KyoAni, but I've seen a ton of it thanks to a friend (haven't watched it through entirely myself) and it's hilarious and amazing. Some of the facial expressions crept into Hibike! as well.
BleedingUranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-22, 03:52   Link #1247
shanimebib
Neo Venezia-jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingUranium View Post
I always forget that it was KyoAni, but I've seen a ton of it thanks to a friend (haven't watched it through entirely myself) and it's hilarious and amazing. Some of the facial expressions crept into Hibike! as well.
You should give it a proper chance. The second half of the anime was so beautiful. One of Yuuko's lines in the anime was so powerful that it left a lasting impression on me.

If I am asked to mention my favourite 10 lines from all the anime I have seen in my life, it will be in it.

It's on par with Mizunashi Akari's "Mysterious things, when you were a child you used to think "They exist for sure!", but all of a sudden it changes to, "It would be nice if they existed." I wonder when and why you stop believing." or Sakata Gintoki's "Ironic, isn't it? How people without truly important things know about them more than those who have them."
Old 2016-12-22, 04:05   Link #1248
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Well the thing is that KyoAni only have the animation rights for the first novel series. So if they want to to animate the 2nd they would have to pay for it again. We don't know if KyoAni would since there was no precedent before, I suspect it depends on if the final profits of this season ended up being worth it.
Old 2016-12-22, 04:23   Link #1249
shanimebib
Neo Venezia-jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Well the thing is that KyoAni only have the animation rights for the first novel series. So if they want to to animate the 2nd they would have to pay for it again. We don't know if KyoAni would since there was no precedent before, I suspect it depends on if the final profits of this season ended up being worth it.
Most of KyoAni's anime are always way above the cutoff. So, I am sure Hibike! S2 will be quite profitable even if it sells 66.6% of S1 as I predicted. I think it will be more down to their interest PLUS the original publisher's will as they don't own the intellectual property of the novel.

Recently they have been promoting one of the LN's regarding Archery (of which they own the IP) and I am banking on them to make an anime out of it like Free! which has been their most successful franchise since K-On!.
Old 2016-12-22, 04:44   Link #1250
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Most of KyoAni's anime are always way above the cutoff. So, I am sure Hibike! S2 will be quite profitable even if it sells 66.6% of S1 as I predicted. I think it will be more down to their interest PLUS the original publisher's will as they don't own the intellectual property of the novel.

Recently they have been promoting one of the LN's regarding Archery (of which they own the IP) and I am banking on them to make an anime out of it like Free! which has been their most successful franchise since K-On!.
My point is on the matter of "opportunity costs".

Yes, Eupho will earn money. But does the extra costs of purchasing the rights actually meant they were better off making Archery anime and other IPs the studio actually own? This is more about the numbers game, on if the extra expenditure is balanced by better sales or not.
Old 2016-12-22, 06:35   Link #1251
Bordix

Thought it would bother me much after hearing the performance skipped entirely but surprisingly not. In the end I was completely satisfied on how things came well together in the end especially Kumiko-Mamiko's scene (still why couldn't they just contact each other and meet up? Poor Kumiko had to spend most of her time searching for her)

Taki only had 1 person confessing cheering for him while the other conductors had the entire concert band behind their backs fortunately Reina was loud enough for the entire theater room to hear her and that was enough for Taki Also happy for Asuka despite not personally meeting her father that single message made all her effort worth while.
Old 2016-12-22, 07:32   Link #1252
Marina2

Is Hibike Euphonium the first novel/light novel series that Kyoani adapt from the beginning to the end of the original content?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
I think they'll blow us away with a send off piece for the seniors next episode. It will be anime original.

Also my theory that they didn't show the performance was one, they wanted to focus on the characters, second it would be redundant since we've heard Crescent Moon Dance twice already. Third they only got bronze, imagine if they showed their best performance and then followed by a bronze award. Lastly, they have something in store for the finale.
Let's see if preview screenshots from tomorrow will hint anything or not.

Quote:
I think the story from this book might be perfect for the movie, if they want to make another one. They can actually make it without doing Rikka novel. (but many details will be cut for sure)

Last edited by Marina2; 2016-12-22 at 08:13.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-22, 08:12   Link #1253
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

I was hoping that they would show Kitauji perform one last time, but I'm happy with what he got. I mean, was this the first time we get to see Michie show any affection towards anyone, right? Shindo's indirect message to Asuka, Reina confessing TWICE, and Kumiko talking to Mamiko at the end left me very satisfied.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-22, 08:16   Link #1254
Sixth
Hu Tao

There are so many things I don't like about this episode than I like about this episode.

What I don't like:
-Shu and Kumiko segment
-They skipped the entire play !!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Mizore trying to befriend with Kumiko. (what is her motive for doing that??????)
-Reina's confession got treated like a joke and for 2 times on row!!!!
-They got bronze.

What I like about this episode:
-Asuka's father message
-Kumiko love confession to Mamiko and Mamiko reciprocate it on the bridge!
-Kumiko's pony hair.

Now I hope that there would be a full piece playing in the next episode. It could be a farewell song for 3rd year or just as a closure for the final episode.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-22, 08:45   Link #1255
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth View Post
There are so many things I don't like about this episode than I like about this episode.

What I don't like:
-Shu and Kumiko segment
What's wrong with it, exactly? Kumiko's developed enough, as a person, that she's willing to let her relationship with Shuuichi start to defrost. If you dislike it because it's insufficiently romantic; I'd say that it captures a conversation between two old friends perfectly. They're not at the stage of their relationship where they're confessing to each other yet ... they've got one more episode to do it, though. If you dislike it because you're shipping Kumiko x Reina, well I hate to break it to you, but that ship's gone down so hard that it's settled into the mud at the bottom of Challenger Deep.

Quote:
-They skipped the entire play !!!!!!!!!!!!!
It wouldn't really have added anything. Showing them play again would've simply ruined the wrists of a bunch of animators for no real good reason. Showing how totally awesome-sauce their competition is ... the subtleties in that would go straight over the heads of 95% of the show's viewers, and the other 5% would moan about how they cocked it all up.

Quote:
-Mizore trying to befriend with Kumiko. (what is her motive for doing that??????)
I actually liked that ... it shows that Mizore is trying to expand her social boundaries beyond her obsession with Nozomi. And besides, Kumiko actually went and talked to her while she was trying to hide from her own pain. Sure, she didn't solve Mizore's problems; but on thinking about it, I think that it shows that Kumiko's impact on her was more (at least from Mizore's perspective) than what Asuka claimed it to be when she was deconstructing Kumiko's personality.

Quote:
-Reina's confession got treated like a joke and for 2 times on row!!!!
Well, it came out of the blue and was equal parts awkward and cringe-worthy. I'm not surprised the other students reacted the way they did.

Also, it's not like Taki can do anything with it, even if he wanted to. That wouldn't be very professional; and it would set a bad precedent with his other students.

Quote:
-They got bronze.
As has been said, it would've been unrealistic for them to get anything higher. It's their first time at Nationals with a music director mostly known for his famous father. It's both politics and the fact that the band doesn't yet have the discipline and dedication needed to take gold firmly baked into its DNA.
Old 2016-12-22, 09:10   Link #1256
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Just to let you know, Takeda is a novel author and she doesn't write light novels. Hibike! Euphonium is her second novel and it is complete. She said she won't write beyond the Anecdote Volume (Vol. 4).

Her third novel is Marching Band of Rikka Koukou with Azusa (Kumiko's friend from middle school years and in BleedingUranium's current sig) as the main character. It already has two volumes out where Rikka High School is seen competing for the Nationals in the Marching Band competition. Well, we already got spoiled in that aspect as Azusa revealed to Kumiko that their school made it to the Nationals (Episode 7, Season 2).

I see, I guess she wanted to leave the story open-ended, and my mistake with regard to the whole LN vs novel thing. As for Rikka, what makes you think it won't be animated? Is this related to reluctance on the part of Takeda or KyoAni?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
If you dislike it because you're shipping Kumiko x Reina, well I hate to break it to you, but that ship's gone down so hard that it's settled into the mud at the bottom of Challenger Deep.

I feel this image is a perfect depiction of the relationship between KyoAni and the shipper fanbase:

Images
Starring Natsuki as KyoAni and Yuko as shippers.
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-22, 09:12   Link #1257
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Your reasoning
Don't like mean don't like or else I won't post it in the first place.

Quote:
It wouldn't really have added anything. Showing them play again would've simply ruined the wrists of a bunch of animators for no real good reason. Showing how totally awesome-sauce their competition is ... the subtleties in that would go straight over the heads of 95% of the show's viewers, and the other 5% would moan about how they cocked it all up.
Flawed logic. This is anime about concert band and everything had been built up to the National. Based on what your said and your unnecessary concern of the animators's wrist, they might have as well skip all the music parts in this anime:

-Show music room
-Practising sequences
-Takai-Sensei pointing out the mistake
-Continue practising
-Character coversations
-Drama
and rinse and repeat.

Also, can you imagine Initial D's final race without showing the race, and straight away jumping to the result? Can you imagine Battle manga/anime where the final battle skipped and announce the result? Can you imagine the sport manga where the final match was skipped to the podium scene? Heck, why do people even bother to watch the whole game of soccer when they could just wait for the result? Stop defending KyoAni's terrible decision for this episode.

This episode is too anti-climatic for the end goal. I would rather to have them reuse the previous play scene with a few scenes added.

Last edited by Sixth; 2016-12-22 at 09:47. Reason: Something to add.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-22, 09:18   Link #1258
Arya

Ahh, so we are almost at the end. Definitely the show did a great job with imagery, Kumiko Mamiko's bridge scene was a great example of that, with the elder finally on her journey and the younger not yet, but approaching.

About the result I also would have expected a silver, but this way felt more realistic. A bit sad for the third years but happy that Asuka got acknowledged by her father. Still I have preferred to see her more emotional, I understand that we are not allowed to see her cry, but come on.

Speaking of Shuuichi, given all the hints, because the show gave us only hints of him, he does looks a great guy all around, so if I have to complain about him is not strictly about the romance that to me has been almost very possible from the start, but that it's a shame they left out a compelling character as him while I think he could have added up nicely with the story without deviate it from its main point.

Main point that if I have to say, to reiterate my previous post, again lost its strength. I mean, this time was a big time for anyone so especially for Kumiko and Reina, but they barely interacted, it's striking if compared to what, the first episode during the festival. Or better the previous backstage scene from season one.
That's especially evident if we compare Kumiko and Asuka to it. Reina did not even know about her sister, Kumiko told to Asuka. They knew each other who they were playing for. A lot of details, I also loved the pat on Kumiko's hair. They also were together after the results. etc.
Anyhow I'll wait the last episode to see if they will give it a closure to it or will leave it like that.

Props to Haruka that finally was able give a speech, but just once, things go back to the usual for the retirement speech were Asuka had to take over.

mmm I'm missing surely some details anyways looking forward for the last episode where I also am expecting a full peace as farewell to the audience. I'm almost sure about it. Not sure on the timing. I'd like to see the full cast playing with the third years. As a farewell should be. And if Asuka's father'd appear during the piece, that would be great!!

Quote:
That, right there, is one of my biggest nits to pick with the second series (when the mood strikes me to actually go looking for things to complain about.) There are many times where feel that Kumiko isn't amazing. She sits square in the center of the uncanny valley between dispassionate narrator and dreadfully passive protagonist. The Nozomi/Mizore story could've done with less Kumiko (it's a story, I think, where it would've made sense to give Kumiko the Shuichi treatment, i.e. have her lurking silently in the wings with no lines) ... in fact, Asuka actually points out that all she does is watch. Reina x Taki would've been stronger with less Kumiko; or at least if it were told from Reina's POV. The strongest Kumiko story of the season was Asuka's family drama, and that's only because Kumiko acts like an actual protagonist throughout.
I agree, on that, even if I don't think Kumiko had to be amazing, Kumiko had to be the way she is. That was kinda the point, having her as POV is that she is exactly this way, letting the other characters flows. On the other hand it's true how it was impossible to not notice how she was always there whatever was happening Even if for Reina it was her that dragged Kumiko around, so it something that adds up to her character more than just mere "good timing".
That's why I think a third season, keeping this approach would be a bit difficult to have, I mean the story needs strong characters regardless the POV. But with Reina and Taki arc almost done and especially Asuka gone, who to me was not just the pillar of the band, but also of the show, it would be hard to introduce new characters out of the blue. Just look at the Nozomi Mizore arc to have an idea of it. To me back then and even now, with a almost full picture, it was almost forgettable.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-22, 09:36   Link #1259
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Also, it's not like Taki can do anything with it, even if he wanted to. That wouldn't be very professional; and it would set a bad precedent with his other students.
I thought he handled a delicate situation rather well. It might not be the first time one of his female students confessed to him either.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-22, 09:49   Link #1260
Bordix

This is why Reina hates spineless people as she's packing massive balls. Not even a crowd or an auditorium full of people can stop her from confessing. Though she dug her own grave when she confessed for the second time. Did she really expect Taki to reciprocate when they're students around them witnessing such controversial event? Of course I think the response would still be the same regardless