AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2011-12-30, 16:13   Link #1
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

[Light Novel] The Moonlight Sculptor

Stumbled onto this novel through pure happenstance and search for this turned up zero.

This is a great read if you've played MMORPGs before though some of it also applies to optimizing in table top pen and paper RPGs. Its pretty detailed including even stat blocks

As far as i know this is unlicensed. So far i've read it up to chapter 15 over at http://novel.oddsquad.org/p/moonlight-sculptor.html . The originals are in korean (figures it was a korean writer for a MMORPG novel) and up to over chapter 30.
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-30, 20:55   Link #2
kadaj1st

i've read it maybe around a years ago ?
and the translation progress is so slow ==
and it cant really called a light novel since it has no illustration
and the cover is the same from the first volume
kadaj1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 06:23   Link #3
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

For those interested, Oddsquad has translated chapter 16. And i was wrong. It actually 33 volumes, each having about 10(?) chapters, which would make it a total of 330 chapters.

As for this not being a light novel due to lack of illustrations, wiki seems to disagree http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_novel
Old 2012-01-17, 06:54   Link #4
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

For LN, we had this proposal to us at B-T, so you guys don't have to come over and ask us.

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/forums/vie...hp?f=15&t=3586

And Light Novel is light mostly because of what the publisher designates it as.

To quote Oddsquad's statement:

Quote:
Just a slight heads up. The author of LMS has posted on his blog that he has noticed the recent online activity in regards to English translations of his novels. He has stated that although he does have an English distribution contract he will not pursue free translations until at least volume 5 is complete due to the fact that problems with the distributor have indefinitely held up printing after volume 1.

There is an addendum to this however. He will immediately take action if he see's anyone making a profit from the distribution of translated copies. Note: He is not saying that you cannot pay professionals to translate the novels, just that you can't charge people for the translated product. As long as this principle is kept however, he has said that he will not be too fussed, even going so far as to say that he might give official permission for translations of volumes past number 5.
And a translation of the author's exact words from a forum poster:

Quote:
Regarding translation of The Moonlight Sculptor -words from the author

English translation of The Moonlight Scultor was conducted and it was published in US market. However, it was only for the first volume of the story. Due to troubles the distributor there is in, publication of following story has not happened yet. Aside status quo, the first volume which was officially published has been on sale up until now in forms of e-book and make-to-order product.

It's already been three years since things stopped running, and recently I came to know how the following stories of the book is being translated and distributed. People who involved in this practice are from some US forum and such, after reading the first volume published.

I've read an article in the forum saying they should pay their own money for quick, precise translation. Also I found a lot of people worrying about if it wouldn't violate copyright-related rules. So I've decided to straighten things up by telling you, the readers about what I have in mind.

As of now, the Moonlight Sculptor published in US haven't reached the break-even point. In fact, there is no commercial profit from the book. And I doubt it would ever in the future. My guess is that official translation of the following story wouldn't happen in near future; not in three years at least. Therefore, I will not exercise my copyrights over the translated works of fifth volume of the story published in Korea. For now, I am saying that my promise will take effect until December, 2014.

Of course, the promise will stay valid under one condition; the readers translate the story with noncommercial intention and enjoy it.
If someone officially profit from the translated work by selling them over Amazon.com and such, it might make things difficult and complicated.

If people who enjoy translated versions of the story increase in numbers, I will extend the valid terms of my promise. Not to mention that I will agree to have people enjoy further part of the story in terms of promotion on Korean literature.
Not exactly a promotion, but more to highlight that, no, there won't be any official release in the future. Delete this post if you must.
Hell_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 03:22   Link #5
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Just a heads up for those interested. The hardworking people over at Oddsquad has now finished up to chapter 18.
Old 2012-11-12, 13:32   Link #6
chancs

Two chapters of the manga on mangafox today
chancs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-12, 18:12   Link #7
blackwhite67
Banned

I didn't know this novel got a thread of its own. On Jcafe its got over 100 pages!

Oddsquad has finished translating the first two volumes recently. The rest you can find here. It's translating at a decent pace. The blog is updated at least three times a week.

Now, this novel is Korean so the writing style may be a little difficult to swallow since its largely different from the Japanese style of writing what with the honorifics and all, but its AMAZING in its own way. Not to mention simply hilarious.

As for copyright issues Teh_Ping is right. I managed to download the official English translation a while ago and I saw the illustrations. Forget, I even said that last sentence. You are better off not seeing them. If you do see them, you will understand why this novel was dropped in America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancs View Post
Two chapters of the manga on mangafox today
No Chancs. The title is misleading. There is no manga for this novel and the series you referred to is something else altogether.
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 01:18   Link #8
Eijigawa
Half-assed Nightmare~

Just finished reading Volume 4 of this novel.... IT'S FUKKEN AWESOME!

It's so addictive that I can't stop reading for one whole afternoon!
Old 2013-01-14, 04:04   Link #9
CNine
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eijigawa View Post
Just finished reading Volume 4 of this novel.... IT'S FUKKEN AWESOME!

It's so addictive that I can't stop reading for one whole afternoon!
wait till you read "100 won more expensive salt"
CNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 11:17   Link #10
brunkcowok

like it,Just a heads up for those interested. The hardworking people over at Oddsquad has now finished up to chapter 18.
brunkcowok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 20:12   Link #11
Kyosuke_Nanbu

Oddsquad stopped long ago.Now the translation is mostly done on royalroadweed.
There are more volumes translated there than you see on BT.
Kyosuke_Nanbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-16, 22:46   Link #12
Eijigawa
Half-assed Nightmare~

Just started Volume 5, Weed sure is getting more fukken crazy awesome as chapter goes by!

Vol. 5 chapter 3 has just been released! Gotta love those Geomchis, their scene is sure a riot to laugh at!

Moonlight Sculptor on Baka-tsuki
Old 2013-02-06, 16:15   Link #13
Grave_digger

This LN it's soooo goooooood.Sculptor job for the MC , how greedy the MC is, how he treated his servant ( poor death knight,tori and the rest ). how he brainwashed people around him.This LN is the first time to make me want to be born as korean ( all this time i only wanted to be japanese ). i really liked the way weed hunt and see the companion want to die ( one of them glad when he's dying and finally set free until weed recover his health )

CNine :it's 200 won (around 2 cent ?) more expensive salt,after that he believe he got divine punishment for buying it

Ejigawa : i really love those Geomchi.you think it's already funny ? ( indeed it's funny )wait for their adventure in vampire city and tower of heroes.the one who see them said "they are not human " and "i'm human ,i appreciate the fact that i'm just normal human "
Grave_digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 16:17   Link #14
blackwhite67
Banned

Wait till you see what he does to the elementals.
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 20:58   Link #15
Eijigawa
Half-assed Nightmare~

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!

Translator, please translate faster! I wanna finish reading Volume 5 ASAP !

I'm surprised that there's still no manwha(manga) ver of this epic Weed Adventure~
Old 2013-02-09, 09:12   Link #16
Grave_digger

Did you go to odd squad or royalroadweed ? isn't there is summary of volume 5 ? well i'm satisfied if summary detailed enough. i just hope they put summaries on volume 17,18,19,21- 31 there is only question and answer . As for the large scale battle i like volume 16 !!!! weed set up the fight for 3 boss( all undefeatable monster ) + 1 church enemy faction (weed target) into four way battle royal !!!! even if only one of the boss appear it will bring chaos ,and weed brought three of them.people from the media called him insane for that.

@Ejigawa : it's true !!! they should make manhwa and anime for this epic adventures.maybe they still don't know the design of the character !!! coz in this novel there is no image beside cover.it's always happening in japan anime the character doesn't show up because they still can't decide the character design
Grave_digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-07, 22:35   Link #17
Eijigawa
Half-assed Nightmare~

And Volume 5 is completed! And Weed now on an A class Quest!!!

Now awaiting Volume 6 to be fully translated, can't wait for the start of the epic battle between Orc & Dark Elves Alliance vs the Legion of Undead!

Spoiler for Vol 6. Spoiler:
Old 2013-06-17, 09:31   Link #18
ryan55

Hi, I'm a korean who saw the works on royalroad.com and saw that there are some details that are mistranslated and want to see if I can help as a proofreader. So I posted an application for recruitment and after I got the first reply I replied to him and didn't get the second one, so I was getting nervous and would like to ask if there is an age restriction in doing this kind of stuff
ryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 18:38   Link #19
Eijigawa
Half-assed Nightmare~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan55 View Post
Hi, I'm a korean who saw the works on royalroad.com and saw that there are some details that are mistranslated and want to see if I can help as a proofreader. So I posted an application for recruitment and after I got the first reply I replied to him and didn't get the second one, so I was getting nervous and would like to ask if there is an age restriction in doing this kind of stuff
Actually they transferred to another site which is royalroadl.com. Go here if you're still interested to contribute to the translation: http://www.royalroadl.com/recruiting/
Old 2013-06-19, 09:55   Link #20
ryan55

Yeah, got recruited as a translator, but as it's a first seemed tougher than I thought. Any advice on how much I should translate on a day?
ryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
korean novel