AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-06-07, 19:19   Link #1
TronDD
Team the box!

Thumbs up Private Nurse

Fans of Crescendo and Kana - Little Sister will also greatly enjoy Private Nurse.

Private Nurse tells a wonderful and mysterious story. Maria, your 'private nurse' just shows up after your mother suggests she will hire on for you. You've been sick since childhood with a disease no one can cure or even identify. Your life has been painful and exhausting. Your father died when you were too young to remember him and your mother is a long distance truck driver who is never home. Helping you all this time is your neighbor, classmate, and childhood friend Ayano and the school nurse Mio.

Now that Maria is here, she threatens your free lifestyle gained by living alone. Maria says she has a contract to keep that states she must take care of you for a month. You are instantly infatuated with Maria and can't say "no" to her so you agree to let he stay for one week. If, in that week, she can make you feel better, she'll be allowed to stay the full month. You plan to simply throw her out at the end of the week, but will you be able to look her in the eyes and say it?

As the story goes on, we are shown the mystery that surrounds Maria. What is a 'private nurse'? Maria dissapears sometimes leaving you with the 'giants'. A couple of nurses, one of which talks super fast and the other that looks asleep on her feet at all times. They provide a little comedy in the game. Other odd things happen in the game that raise questions about Maria.

The game never directly answers these questions. Various hints give you an idea but the game lacks a 'moment of epiphany' where you find out exactly what's going on (think of the Kanon anime when you find out the real story with each of the girls, I found them all to be really impactful). After you complete the game with the Maria ending, you are givin an 'After Diary" that cantains scenes not in the game with further hints about Maria (plus additional sex scenes if you're interested in that).

Ayano also has an after diary but I haven't beaten the game with her ending yet, I'm about half way through. Mio also has an ending but you wouldn't know it. She's a relatively minor character.

Private Nurse is another story driven title with lots of emotion. Since I've only played Kana and Private Nurse so far (Crescendo is next), I'll compair the two.

I foung Private Nurse to have a better story than Kana. The mysteries surround Maria add quite a bit of emotion to the story. However, I found Kana to have much more of an impact because Private Nurse lacked that epiphany I was hoping for. I still found the overal story very touching. The ero scenes were also better in Private Nurse. I found them to be much more appropriate (I guess, finding it hard to come up with the right adjective). Kana seemed to thrust them into the story. The scenes in Private Nurse are also randomly chosen. I ended up seeing one sequence 6 times, but other parts of the scene were different. There is quite a bit of ero content in the game. Like jack rabbits, they are.

A couple of the minor bad points of the game are:

No ability to save the CGs as an image file. There are a couple really great scenes from emotional moments that would make great wallpaper or a sig.

There are a few videos in the game where characters talk but there are no subtitles. Your words and thoughts show up as text in the video since you are not voiced in the game at all, but you miss out on what the girl is saying.

Overall, another A+ game I would recommend to those who love the story driven titles.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-07, 20:35   Link #2
Arwyn

Thanks for the review! I will add that one to the list of title to check out.

If your checking out Crescendo next, your in for a good one, it still my favorite.
Arwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-08, 02:27   Link #3
Bullsquat
Strange Love

I hope they have more happy endings in this one. Games aren't suppose to traumatize you for days you know, lol. They should only leave you in a triumphant good mood...unless you're stuck.

Anyway, I am going to buy this game for sure. I'll have my input on it by next week probably.
Bullsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-08, 02:34   Link #4
TronDD
Team the box!

Just finished Ayano's story. It's a good romance drama story but no where near as good as Maria's. Maria even creates a lot of emotion in this story, even though she is not the focus.

I suppose having seen Maria's story first will leave something to be desired from the other stories by comparison.

I still have Mio's story left and it should be pretty interesting. During Maria's story, Mio does some strange stuff so she is pretty mysterious, too.

Arwyn: I have the Crescendo disc in hand, the game is already installed and it is just waiting it's turn. I bought Crescendo and Private Nurse together and since no one had really talked about Private Nurse yet, I decided to play that one first and post the review.
Old 2004-06-08, 10:50   Link #5
Arwyn

I went ahead and ordered Private Nurse. I'm with Bull on this one as well, hopefully its a little more positive than Kana.

Kana is great, but trying to get through all the endings will have you on a prescription of Prozac so fast its not even funny!

I still havent seen anything else that made me smile like the Kaori ending in Crescendo. Hello nurse!
Old 2004-06-09, 09:01   Link #6
Izzy
Corrupted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn
I went ahead and ordered Private Nurse. I'm with Bull on this one as well, hopefully its a little more positive than Kana.

Kana is great, but trying to get through all the endings will have you on a prescription of Prozac so fast its not even funny!

I still havent seen anything else that made me smile like the Kaori ending in Crescendo. Hello nurse!
nah, Private Nurse won't leave you on prozac XD just teary eyes....

small Q though....got some tips on how to get Ayano? I usually get Maria and Mio in the end >_<
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-09, 09:25   Link #7
Sid_Burn
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sid_Burn Send a message via AIM to Sid_Burn Send a message via Yahoo to Sid_Burn
Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
Fans of Crescendo and Kana - Little Sister will also greatly enjoy Private Nurse.

Private Nurse tells a wonderful and mysterious story. Maria, your 'private nurse' just shows up after your mother suggests she will hire on for you. You've been sick since childhood with a disease no one can cure or even identify. Your life has been painful and exhausting. Your father died when you were too young to remember him and your mother is a long distance truck driver who is never home. Helping you all this time is your neighbor, classmate, and childhood friend Ayano and the school nurse Mio.

Now that Maria is here, she threatens your free lifestyle gained by living alone. Maria says she has a contract to keep that states she must take care of you for a month. You are instantly infatuated with Maria and can't say "no" to her so you agree to let he stay for one week. If, in that week, she can make you feel better, she'll be allowed to stay the full month. You plan to simply throw her out at the end of the week, but will you be able to look her in the eyes and say it?

As the story goes on, we are shown the mystery that surrounds Maria. What is a 'private nurse'? Maria dissapears sometimes leaving you with the 'giants'. A couple of nurses, one of which talks super fast and the other that looks asleep on her feet at all times. They provide a little comedy in the game. Other odd things happen in the game that raise questions about Maria.

The game never directly answers these questions. Various hints give you an idea but the game lacks a 'moment of epiphany' where you find out exactly what's going on (think of the Kanon anime when you find out the real story with each of the girls, I found them all to be really impactful). After you complete the game with the Maria ending, you are givin an 'After Diary" that cantains scenes not in the game with further hints about Maria (plus additional sex scenes if you're interested in that).

Ayano also has an after diary but I haven't beaten the game with her ending yet, I'm about half way through. Mio also has an ending but you wouldn't know it. She's a relatively minor character.

Private Nurse is another story driven title with lots of emotion. Since I've only played Kana and Private Nurse so far (Crescendo is next), I'll compair the two.

I foung Private Nurse to have a better story than Kana. The mysteries surround Maria add quite a bit of emotion to the story. However, I found Kana to have much more of an impact because Private Nurse lacked that epiphany I was hoping for. I still found the overal story very touching. The ero scenes were also better in Private Nurse. I found them to be much more appropriate (I guess, finding it hard to come up with the right adjective). Kana seemed to thrust them into the story. The scenes in Private Nurse are also randomly chosen. I ended up seeing one sequence 6 times, but other parts of the scene were different. There is quite a bit of ero content in the game. Like jack rabbits, they are.

A couple of the minor bad points of the game are:

No ability to save the CGs as an image file. There are a couple really great scenes from emotional moments that would make great wallpaper or a sig.

There are a few videos in the game where characters talk but there are no subtitles. Your words and thoughts show up as text in the video since you are not voiced in the game at all, but you miss out on what the girl is saying.

Overall, another A+ game I would recommend to those who love the story driven titles.
A love story based game!?... I would hate to play that... F-
Sid_Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-09, 09:27   Link #8
Arwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid_Burn
Unfortuanetly that is kind of the problem, we dont have very many good titles availible because there just seems to be an ingrained resistance to the idea.
Old 2004-06-09, 09:50   Link #9
Sid_Burn
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sid_Burn Send a message via AIM to Sid_Burn Send a message via Yahoo to Sid_Burn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn
Unfortuanetly that is kind of the problem, we dont have very many good titles availible because there just seems to be an ingrained resistance to the idea.
but... there's "action,RTS,FPS,SIM themed games" that solves the problem...
Sid_Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-09, 11:14   Link #10
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsquat
I hope they have more happy endings in this one. Games aren't suppose to traumatize you for days you know, lol. They should only leave you in a triumphant good mood...unless you're stuck.
I suggest you never touch Tenshi no Inai 12 Gattsu if it ever comes out in English
Such a depressing premise and such a depressing title ("The December without Angels")
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-09, 12:27   Link #11
Arwyn

Quote:
but... there's "action,RTS,FPS,SIM themed games" that solves the problem...
Well, I like all of those genres, but not for bishoju games.

If I want to blow things away, those other genres are great, and I have bought tons of them over the years, but its pretty hard to build a relationship based story in a FPS.

While there are some ero-game titles that are rpg/shooter based, those are strictly sex romps, and I have zero interest in them. Im not knocking those kind of games or the folks that play em, they just dont interest me.

Crescendo, Kana, and Private Nurse all go for the story/digital novel approach, and that seems to be the most effective way to tell that kind of story, but they are not all that popular at the moment in the US in comparison to other types of ero-game.
Old 2004-06-09, 21:42   Link #12
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy
nah, Private Nurse won't leave you on prozac XD just teary eyes....

small Q though....got some tips on how to get Ayano? I usually get Maria and Mio in the end >_<
I found a walkthrough on Google that said how to answer the questions to get the various endings. Basically you have to reduce the supposed effect Maria has on you and cling to Ayano when you can.

http://www.gamesover.com/walkthroughs/private_nurse.txt
Old 2004-06-09, 21:45   Link #13
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Then don't :fingers:

To each his own, and all that.
Old 2004-06-09, 22:04   Link #14
aahhsin

Agreed with SidBurn. This game just screams Hentai Game doesn't it? C'mon Private nurse...

No killing? Not even putting bricks into holes? Blah!
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 00:01   Link #15
Bullsquat
Strange Love

Ok, I can't believe I'm saying this since I use to avoid Bishoujo games like the plague but to both of you haters, what the hell is your point exactly?

So you hate Hentai games, fine. No need to go in here and bash the hell out of it.

If you hate the game objectively, you can make an argument of some sort. But as far as I can see, your posts are totally meaningless.

I'm an action and fighting game fan myself and I'm not into RPGs. But I don't go to a thread mocking a title because its RPG.

"what is this game? an RPG?? Friggin sucks!"

What good does saying that do?
Bullsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 02:44   Link #16
Zephronite
gorogorogorogoro

Don't feed the 14-year old trolls, people.
Zephronite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 03:15   Link #17
aahhsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsquat
Ok, I can't believe I'm saying this since I use to avoid Bishoujo games like the plague but to both of you haters, what the hell is your point exactly?

So you hate Hentai games, fine. No need to go in here and bash the hell out of it.

If you hate the game objectively, you can make an argument of some sort. But as far as I can see, your posts are totally meaningless.

I'm an action and fighting game fan myself and I'm not into RPGs. But I don't go to a thread mocking a title because its RPG.

"what is this game? an RPG?? Friggin sucks!"

What good does saying that do?
ok.... if you honestly want one.

First off Hentai games are boring.

All you do is click continuously while reading the story. There is barely any interaction with the game at all. You make FEW choices deciding a path that leads to 1/20 different endings.

The number of endings is great, however, usually 7 of the endings is exactly the same as the first ending but with minor changes. For example in the Hentai Game, Critical Point.

One ending has the main character getting a female character. In another ending the Male character succeeds in getting the female character only instead, the male dies.

Secondly, after you seen the first ending you have to play through, mindlessly clicking the mouse or hitting the space bar to get to the same decisions that you made the first time. Instead only this time you click the 2nd path. And the process continues.

The problem with these games is that I barely feel any player interaction with the games whatsoever.

I find player interaction very important in a game, it makes you feel like your actually doing something. I can't read 10 pages with the girl just saying

"please be gentle"
".........."
"OOOHHHHHHH!"

So. F
Old 2004-06-10, 03:38   Link #18
TronDD
Team the box!

These games are also refered to as "visual novels" which I think is a more appropriate term than "game".

Still, if you don't like them, then why are you reading this thread? I think I'll jump into the Naruto forum and start a thread about how much that show sucks and why. I'm sure everyone there would love to hear about it.
Old 2004-06-10, 03:50   Link #19
Zephronite
gorogorogorogoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin
ok.... if you honestly want one.

First off Hentai games are boring.

Blah Blah *Snip*
People actually enjoy the plot/story, and the unfing that happens eventually (Like me). Obviously, you don't give a rat's arse about them. I bet you would think Sexy Beach 2 is a superior game compared to those. Sexy Beach 2 is nothing more than a crappy 3GB screensaver anyway, just to let other people know.

So, gb2/other games/ for you.
Zephronite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 04:03   Link #20
aahhsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephronite
People actually enjoy the plot/story, and the unfing that happens eventually (Like me). Obviously, you don't give a rat's arse about them. I bet you would think Sexy Beach 2 is a superior game compared to those. Sexy Beach 2 is nothing more than a crappy 3GB screensaver anyway, just to let other people know.

So, gb2/other games/ for you.
Don't misquote someone. Your arguement now falls flat. And what the hell is sexy beach 2?

You people even told me to state what is wrong with the game. I gave it to you and now your mad because I gave my reason for not liking the game?

There's just no pleasing you people. And yes I probably will get banned for this.

I think I'll take your advice. I'll leave this thread.