AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-20, 03:09   Link #1
esmon

sports?

Hmmm... I'm into sports anime lately. Any reccomendations? I was thinking of watching Prince Of Tennis but is it good? Hajime no Ippo is one of those though. Well it would be perfect if it included some romance or so
Old 2009-08-20, 04:27   Link #2
Exar Kun
The Abyssal Sith Lord

Cross Game fits your description perfectly. It's about baseball and it has a fair ammount of romance
One Outs - this is also about baseball, no romance, but a great psyhological and tactical anime, definetly worth watching.
Old 2009-08-20, 05:52   Link #3
Saleh
Inactive

Suzuka and Ginban Kaleidoscope should be right up your alley. Major, Kaleido Star, Slam Dunk are some good sports animes if you remove the romance element. Also, you might want to have a look at Anidb's list of sports anime.
Old 2009-08-20, 07:12   Link #4
esmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleh View Post
Suzuka and Ginban Kaleidoscope should be right up your alley. Major, Kaleido Star, Slam Dunk are some good sports animes if you remove the romance element. Also, you might want to have a look at Anidb's list of sports anime.

Sorry though.When I tried to watch Slam Dunk , it has chinese characters behind it and i found it annoying. Do you guys know somewhere has a version without the chinese characters?Uhh,sorry but can it have at least 20eps+? of course, 60+ would be much much better
Old 2009-08-20, 18:09   Link #5
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Major is #1 for me, and there is a romance element though certainly secondarily so. Cross Game is another baseball series, currently running, that has hints of romance (so far) and is generally is excellent. I also enjoyed yet another baseball series, Ookiku Fuikabutte, which is more about the camaraderie between the boys on the team (unless you believe there are BL elements, as some do).

Non baseball-wise, I think Over Drive (cycling) is very underrated. Just a hint of romance there too.
Old 2009-08-20, 20:16   Link #6
qwertyuiopz

also gonna say overdrive
Old 2009-08-20, 20:33   Link #7
Theowne
耳をすませば

Seconding two series mentioned so far: Cross Game - is currently airing, a great series that has some very significant romance elements. I would say its 50/50 baseball/slice of life. Ookiku Furikabutte - another baseball series, I haven't finished it yet but the way it portrays games is really realistic and 100% captivating. This one really squeezes out every possible good thing about the sport, the teamwork, friendship, etc. I'd also throw in Touch as a reccomendation, its a classic series which has a great combination of baseball along with general coming of age / love story.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2009-08-20, 22:24   Link #8
esmon

Hmm, question: Does the ryoma in Prince of Tennis grow up or he always stay the same as 12 years old? And I prefer baseball, basketball,Tennis and Boxing/ Wrestling though.
Old 2009-08-21, 00:10   Link #9
mit7059

Ryoma pretty much always stays 12. Prince of Tennis is worth watching if you've got the time. I'll rank my favorite sports animes

1. Ookiku Furikabutte - Baseball
2. Cross Game - Baseball
3. Overdrive - Biking
4. Major - Baseball
5. Prince of Tennis - Duh
6. H2 - Baseball

I'm also going to throw BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad in there, it's not about sports its about a band but it give me the same sort of feel, if I had to rank it against the above list it would be number 2 or 3.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2009-08-21, 00:28   Link #10
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Let me belatedly add in Bamboo Blade (kendo). The kendo is interesting, but it's the vibrant and memorable characters that make this a near-great series. And Tama-chan is kawaii!
Old 2009-08-21, 06:50   Link #11
esmon

come on == is there anymore..? I dont usually play games. So i watch anime... onegai shimas T^T sports anime please~~
Old 2009-08-21, 07:59   Link #12
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

If you've clicked on Saleh's Anidb link, you already have enough sports anime to watch for the rest of your life.

Anyway Eyeshield 21 is my recommendation.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-08-21, 12:13   Link #13
Theowne
耳をすませば

Maybe I'll also throw in Yawara! A Fashionable Judo Girl as an uncommon one.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2009-08-21, 13:28   Link #14
npcomplete

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
If you've clicked on Saleh's Anidb link, you already have enough sports anime to watch for the rest of your life.

You can also catch Eyeshield 21 on CrunchyRoll btw. They're up to ep 89 out of 145, but it covers the holes in the fansubs after ep 68

edit, more:
Princess Nine - older anime about girls playing modern baseball
Taishou Yakyuu Musume - new anime about girls playing baseball in the Taisho period (1912-1926).

Last edited by npcomplete; 2009-08-21 at 14:08.
Old 2009-08-21, 16:04   Link #15
TCman

I second Bamboo Blade and Princess Nine. Personally I really like Shion no Ou (Japanese "chess") and Hikaru no Go (Go the board game);

Others I also like are "Nasu: Andalusia no Natsu" (movie - cycling) & "Nasu: Suitcase no Wataridori" (OVA - Cycling); "Kenkoo Zenrakei Suieibu Umishou" - swimming.
Old 2009-08-23, 03:38   Link #16
JackRydden224
Knight of Twelve's Knight

Slam dunk for basketball (and one of the best all time in my opinion) and Major for baseball.

It's finally, even Adachi mentioned various times in Cross Game about how it is not a baseball manga LOL
Old 2009-08-23, 03:57   Link #17
Albafica
Pisces no saint

Major is an incredible sport anime, you should watch it!
Old 2009-08-23, 06:25   Link #18
esmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post

Well, I don't want anime with like 13 episodes or 12 episodes. At least with 26 episodes. So I don't think there is a lot in the link
Old 2009-08-23, 06:28   Link #19
esmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224 View Post
Slam dunk for basketball (and one of the best all time in my opinion) and Major for baseball.

It's finally, even Adachi mentioned various times in Cross Game about how it is not a baseball manga LOL
Slam dunk eh.. I did tried to watch it but there is chinese characters behind it. I found it very irritating and I rather has it as Eng Dubbed. You know anywhere where there is no chinese character or it is Eng Dubbed?
Old 2009-08-23, 08:13   Link #20
npcomplete

Chinese chars? you must've downloaded some CN fansub? Anyways, the US DVDs were cancelled for Slam Dunk so there are no dubs after the first few episodes.
You can watch it subbed here: http://www.crunchyroll.com/library/Slam_Dunk

and another basketball show (26 ep): http://www.crunchyroll.com/library/Dear_Boys

edit: didn't realize you were in Singapore. I'm assuming you're blocked from CR then. Just look up the show anidb like here for Slam Dunk and find the groups who've released it in english and try their homepage or IRC channel. I've read that the J/C -> Turkish -> Eng based TL for Slum Dunk isn't so great though...
Closed Thread