AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-07-14, 00:26   Link #4341
TsundereCake
真 ラブ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Miko View Post
Will I have to start over?
Yes, but you can just ctrl through to the part you were on (or use the chapter select for 1-3)
Old 2010-07-14, 01:15   Link #4342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Miko View Post
So, yeah, am I to assume that that admin thing is the only possible way to fix the game? Because I'd kinda like to play too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TsundereCake View Post
Yeah, for now I'd suggest uninstalling the game/patch and reinstalling from an admin account. That's what I did to stop the problem.
No No No..... Like I said, running as admin should NOT have any influence, because the Windows installer does not allow a user to install the game to an admin-owned directory. Please answer the questions I posted several pages ago and we can try to sort this out. http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...15#post3132515
Message is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 03:16   Link #4343
KoolNickMan

I've been having some trouble with the patch. For some reason, the game crashes whenever I try to progress past this point:

Spoiler for Screen:

I made sure to see if this was a problem with the patch or the game itself, but if I run the non-patched version, I can easily progress past that point without any problems. I'm running on Vista, so I also made sure to run everything as admin, but it doesn't fix the problem.

Any ideas on what's going on?
KoolNickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 19:58   Link #4344
Shadow Miko
ASuki's #1 Virgillia fan~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsundereCake View Post
Yeah, for now I'd suggest uninstalling the game/patch and reinstalling from an admin account. That's what I did to stop the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Message View Post
No No No..... Like I said, running as admin should NOT have any influence, because the Windows installer does not allow a user to install the game to an admin-owned directory. Please answer the questions I posted several pages ago and we can try to sort this out. http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...15#post3132515
Anyways, I can only access/find the account I'm on so I believe this is the admin account or something anyways. I haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game somewhere else but based on your experience, TsundereCake, that probably wouldn't help anyways, would it?

(Also, I used the patch files directly, I didn't use the patch installer if that's which one you were talking about)

I wanted to check and see if this were a patch only issue but I get an error that shuts the game down when I try the unpatched version (although the patch folder is still there) except this error will appear on the title-menu screen and a box pops up with it whereas the patched version just shuts down without a word. I figure this was worth mentioning.

WAS Hanyuu's biggest fangirl, my heart belongs to Virgillia now. <3 Loli Salad - A blog of epic-proportions!
Shadow Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 07:04   Link #4345
Zero Sora

So now that Episode 6 is finished, what is next for WH before Episode 7 comes out? I think you guys deserve a big break for a while. But I thought that maybe you guys were going to do a more complete update for Episodes 1 - 4, or has that already been done?
Zero Sora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 11:43   Link #4346
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Sora View Post
So now that Episode 6 is finished, what is next for WH before Episode 7 comes out? I think you guys deserve a big break for a while. But I thought that maybe you guys were going to do a more complete update for Episodes 1 - 4, or has that already been done?
I think a break will be pretty necessary for a while The week of heavy translating had me averaging more than one English word every ten seconds for seven days straight, and that's including the time it took to sleep, eat, and do Father's Day, which happened to be that week. Plus an edit run for that entire section, which meant playing through nearly half the game and checking each line again.

So yeah, we'll probably be taking it easy for a while.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 11:50   Link #4347
TsundereCake
真 ラブ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
I think a break will be pretty necessary for a while The week of heavy translating had me averaging more than one English word every ten seconds for seven days straight, and that's including the time it took to sleep, eat, and do Father's Day, which happened to be that week. Plus an edit run for that entire section, which meant playing through nearly half the game and checking each line again.

So yeah, we'll probably be taking it easy for a while.
I'm very sorry some people expect way too much from you guys and are never satisfied
Old 2010-07-15, 11:50   Link #4348
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

not only that, but the sheer pressure and the "overload" of umineko weren't exactly amusing.
I can't say for the whole team, but working on the patch 8 hours per day for a full week almost made me hear some "ahahaha.wav" out of the blue. And last year with episode 4, I almost wanted to drop dead at some point.
Old 2010-07-15, 13:11   Link #4349
Tibba

Send a message via AIM to Tibba Send a message via MSN to Tibba
I used to complain to my friends all the time about how long it took you guys to release things. One of those friends replied, "Yeah. At least the end result is probably much better than the Megaman X6 translation, though". I thought about that comment while playing through EP6 and realized how high-quality your releases are, and how bad they could be if you rushed them, especially with something as wordy as Umineko is.
Tibba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 13:37   Link #4350
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

GIGA DR-... RANT BREAKER.

I may sound a bit irritated, but for those who think a translation patch (not only ours, but other VN patch) is taking too much time... I will ask you this: do you know anything about Japanese?

You have to factor the fact that it has nothing to do with fansubbing: you have to tweek everything so it makes sense in english, flows well, while trying to keep a certain sense of faithfulness towards the original work.

That is one side of the bloody adventure. There is obviously another aspect of that: you have to deal with the software, hoping it won't turn completely stupid over a code change. Also testing if it won't fail on you depending the OS etc.
And if even if everything looks nice and dandy, you aren't safe from any unexpected engine hiccup (which we have for this release, despite we didn't find anything).

And everything is wrapped with the stress and pressure that you might be doing something utterly wrong with X or Y translation/edit/etc. And unlike us (blessed by some luck with Ryukishi), a lot of groups may be subject to an impending doom, known as the C&D letter. And trust me, having a sword of damocles above your head is anything but pleasant.

So I will ask people, to once again, trust translation groups that have the courage (or foolishness?) to carry on such kind of task, which is often ungrateful.
In WH case, We are no pro, we are no association (heck, I think Chrono is losing cash just for the site). We aren't blessed with countless video games translators that are paid by corporations (why do you think a Pokemon game has to take so many months, despite nintendo obviously have the budget for translation? Well, it isn't like money alone can speed up translation).
And yet, our group and some others such like Amatarasu, etc manage to pull that kind of games within less than 6 months...

I cannot say for other VN translating groups, but for WH, it is a passion and a hobby. And hell, I can't tell how many times I had to cheer myself, out of depression and fatigue, having the thought of giving up this project more than once for these 2 bloody long years. I'm sure a lot of people, be it from our staff or not would plenty agree with that with their own experience.
Don't mistake my words: I regret nothing, and I love what I'm doing (otherwise, I would have retired for ages). However, it is never nice to be blamed for a fault that isn't even one to begin with. It is even more tiresome when people are ignorant about what kind of effort it requires. Your usual "silent/happy behavior when there is nothing wrong, then barking with all their might without even looking back to what has been accomplished already".

If that isn't enough, I will ask all of you, those who still think that groups are going slow, to simply learn japanese.

Sorry, but the kettle had to explode at some point. Nothing exactly personal against you, tibba. Just a general rant that had to be unleashed sooner or later.
Don't worry, there wasn't really any -real- trigger for my rant (even though complaints about our speed were more numerous for Episode 6), it was something that crippled me for maybe more than a year. Feels good now.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2010-07-15 at 14:00.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 13:42   Link #4351
Nayrael
The Faceless One

Send a message via MSN to Nayrael
Indeed. I don't know Japanese but I know that we can be lucky that a VN managed to get someone to translate it. And translating between English and Japanese can't possibly be a simple task as two languages have far too many differences to allow people a reliable fast translation
Old 2010-07-15, 14:08   Link #4352
Tibba

Send a message via AIM to Tibba Send a message via MSN to Tibba
Oh my, I hope you didn't take my comment as negative, because I didn't mean it to be ._.;;;;;;;

Either way, it's good to let it all out every once in a while :P Once a month, you should just explode on here. After the project is done, it'll might be fun to go back and read them.
Tibba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 16:13   Link #4353
Leafsnail

Ahahahahaha!

Actually, I was pretty impressed that WH manages to release each episode in English before the next one comes out in Japanese. I mean, it takes hours and hours just to read...
Leafsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 17:35   Link #4354
Witch of Uncertainty

It's beyond me why you actually bother to translate that game. After reading through your posts, it sounds like hell. :| But after reading that, I appreciate your work a lot more. I hope you will continue to translate the other episodes, despite people complaining, because if you stop, I'll have to learn japanese.

You are doing quality work, worth paying for, tbh.
Witch of Uncertainty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 19:54   Link #4355
zorahk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
The thing people who can't understand Japanese don't understand is that umineko is much harder to translate than pretty much any other vn or anime. You have to produce a translation which will not cause a logic error when trying to solve the mystery. It has to be possible to solve using both the translation and the original. This is easier said than done considering how ambiguous Japanese is half the time. Heck, if it wasn't for context and sheer guessing, how would you tell the difference between 行って and 行って? What about 探す vs. 捜す?
zorahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 21:03   Link #4356
Leafsnail

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorahk View Post
The thing people who can't understand Japanese don't understand is that umineko is much harder to translate than pretty much any other vn or anime. You have to produce a translation which will not cause a logic error when trying to solve the mystery. It has to be possible to solve using both the translation and the original. This is easier said than done considering how ambiguous Japanese is half the time. Heck, if it wasn't for context and sheer guessing, how would you tell the difference between 行って and 行って? What about 探す vs. 捜す?
A special form of magic.
Leafsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 21:51   Link #4357
Skreecher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Definitely a well deserved rant.
I haven't actually said it here before, but I would like to say, now, how much I enjoy and appreciate the time you guys all take to provide an excellent translation for umineko. I have a high amount of respect for you guys!
Old 2010-07-15, 22:17   Link #4358
Sir Andy Richter
Wuh?

Was it?

Every fanbase every translation group has idiot fans. Posting this publically doesn't seem very professional..
Sir Andy Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 22:18   Link #4359
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Meanwhile at /jp/...
Old 2010-07-16, 00:26   Link #4360
Skreecher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Andy Richter View Post

Was it?

Every fanbase every translation group has idiot fans. Posting this publically doesn't seem very professional..
I'm not trying to start an argument here, but they are not a business so its not like that have to keep up appearances. It's not like any of them have anything to gain or lose by stating their opinion/frustration. I can only imagine how disheartening it would be to spend all that time and effort to have a bunch of people complain about it not being perfect or about how long it takes for them to complete a patch.

Tags
translation