Old 2009-01-20, 12:39   Link #103
james0246

^Seems easy enough...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 12:41   Link #104
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
lil old dude was cool, esp with the last part of this speech
*yawns*
All the best to you peeps to work hard to help achieve a lot of the values Obama mentioned that he hopes the nation as a whole (not just the government) will achieve.

Right, back to bed -.- zzZ

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 12:45   Link #105
mg1942

ok... I heard someone messed up

who is it???
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 12:46   Link #106
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

After all the anticipation, I must say I'm slightly disappointed by Obama's inaugural speech as the 44th President of the United States — it felt too dry, too rehearsed, not as monumental nor as uplifting as his convention speech had been.

And, like Mystique, I chuckled at Reverend Lowery's benediction — homely, yet full of down-to-earth humour.

Well, in the end, it's not speeches that make a President great. Obama, like every president before him, will be judged more by his actions than his words. Four years. Let's see what it'll bring.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 12:46   Link #107
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
The age of Ceasarism will begin in about 2 hours. When the hopes of an entire social class is vested upon one man, you will LONG for the republican party.
Well, it's one thing for him to talk, to orate, wow and sway a whole crowd; it's another matter entirely when it comes to action in the next 100 days. Although this is a landmark event of many firsts, we'd like to see how he'll actually pull it off (and I'm not surprised to know that Vladimir Putin has taken the role of the spoilsport by belittling the hopes of those present at DC) just as he had promised.

Hence, it is understood that too many expectations have finally been weighed on the 44th President of the United States, and whatever troubles that have been arrayed before Mr. Obama aren't matters to laugh or scoff at. I hope that he (and his entire hand-picked cabinet for that matter) studied and understood all those problems, and seriously prepared to deal with them.

Welcome to Day One.
Old 2009-01-20, 12:53   Link #108
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Well i can tell you guys its bloody cold down here but its insane. I am seeing people from around the world here not just Americans. I enjoyed the speech i thought it was really well done i for one am willing to give him the time he needs to put things in order. Despite what some other people think i am going to try to be optimistic about the coming years instead of being dragged down into the depression sorenesses that some around here display.

Hopefully i will have pics up tonight.
Old 2009-01-20, 12:59   Link #109
klowny
OH NO

i went to school, it was really boring and funny because we were streaming from the Internet so the computers were sleeping. A lot of the students were getting tired from Obama's speech and shouting "OBAMA!!!" if it was going to only be about celebrating him being president i would have stayed home and study
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 13:48   Link #110
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Well, I just watched the inaguration speech on CNN.com. It was AMAZING. It brought a tear to my eye.

And to top off his amazing speach, Obama wasn't even wearing a hat or gloves. I mean, it was like freaking 5 degree weather out. And it was almost a 20 minute speech. If that's not impressive, I don't know what is.
Old 2009-01-20, 14:17   Link #111
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
Let's keep an eye on these for the next 4 years. He has promised to:

Spoiler for ...:
So... you're stepping up to help, right? One guy can't do much. A nation of politically active people might accomplish something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle
The age of Ceasarism will begin in about 2 hours. When the hopes of an entire social class is vested upon one man, you will LONG for the republican party.
Heh, you are *obviously* from somewhere else and fairly clueless about whats gone on in the last eight years in the US domestically to say Americans will "long" for the Republican Party... they have a lot of housecleaning to do before anyone will give them the steering wheel again. And many Republicans themselves know that. They sell fear rather than hope. The only class the Republican Party helps at the moment is the ultra-rich -- they *use* the social conservatives to keep power, and they've successfully looted the Treasury and the much of Joe Public's investments now. Madoff is just a posterboy for the rest of them. They've broken the sandbox because they didn't want to play by any rules or the rule of law.

Oh and the "Caesarism" doesn't even make sense historically. Where's the correlation?

Hopes won't cut it though... there are many social classes that have hopes now but will have to get off their fatt butts and participate.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-01-20 at 14:41.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 14:49   Link #112
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
So... you're stepping up to help, right? One guy can't do much. A nation of politically active people might accomplish something.

I've always stepped up year after year, by paying my federal income taxes and sending food stuffs & packages overseas to soldiers whose name I not know.
Old 2009-01-20, 15:04   Link #113
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That wasn't necessarily directed at you ... but to all those people who say "Obama gonna fix EVERYTHING!!!" and then they sit back and watch. And actually.. paying taxes isn't sufficient in itself (though the package work is good activism). We do a bit of a lot of things - charity work, volunteering, education, activities that strengthen the infrastructure of society.

I'm not necessarily a fan of either major party... but I know which one is broken right now and I know which one to keep an eye on so that THEIR loonies don't get out of hand.

I just hope this administration moves the conversation BACK to a centrist position from the extreme far right position it crept to over the last 20 years (and that the Republicans take a clue from Eisenhower and what remains of their intellectual wing).
Old 2009-01-20, 16:04   Link #114
Narona
Emotionless White Face

I did watch it. So much people were there to support Obama o_o

Anyways. I wish good luck to him and his people. .

Random stuff: The song that was sung by Aretha Franklin reminded me God save the Queen <.<""""
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 16:10   Link #115
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

President Obama. That has a nice ring to it. Congratulations

The best part is i'll never have to say president George W Bush ever again.
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 16:14   Link #116
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
President Obama. That has a nice ring to it. Congratulations

The best part is i'll never have to say president George W Bush ever again.

all ex-president are still refer to as President when address.
Old 2009-01-20, 17:34   Link #117
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Well i can tell you guys its bloody cold down here but its insane. I am seeing people from around the world here not just Americans. I enjoyed the speech i thought it was really well done i for one am willing to give him the time he needs to put things in order. Despite what some other people think i am going to try to be optimistic about the coming years instead of being dragged down into the depression sorenesses that some around here display.

Hopefully i will have pics up tonight.
It was pretty cold in the Metro DC area, but I was surprised at the lack of traffic here in VA

I guess everyone was up at 2 and 3am to make their way to DC!

I set up a few big TVs at work for those of us stuck there to watch, so it was like a mini party there. It was nice to have a President speak without sounding like a total schmuck.

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 17:43   Link #118
desi09
Sono un cattivo perdente.

I decided not to go to the inauguration today b/c I felt too lazy to get up :P Watched it all on tv when I could of just walked a few blocks..... let laziness prevail!!!! Anyways, I thought that John Williams' composition was bloody brilliant! Just listening to it brought tears to my eyes. But, I really believe today that this country could change and that the Prez needs to enjoy this day b/c after this he'll have to complete all his promises.

Let's hope he does.
desi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 17:53   Link #119
mg1942

I dunno if there is something wrong with my eyes and my ears... I think I just saw my hhigh school marching band playing "Viva Las Vegas" on ABC
Old 2009-01-20, 18:53   Link #120
Shadow Kira01

So, is today Obama Day in America? Perhaps, they should make it a national holiday or something. After all, Barack Obama had fulfilled the dreams of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. becoming the first Black president of the United States.

Why are Americans so excited? Hordes of people had to wake up (or possibly didn't even sleep) in the middle of the night, sneak through the security and fences into Washington's central place, gathered to wait several hours in the cold, shivering in a celebratory mood, while standing (though some people took a nap before the inauguration starts) because Obama will be having an 18-minute inauguratorial speech. WOW!!

From the looks of the situation, considering that over 2 million people had flocked over to Washington D.C. to see Barack Obama officially sworn as the 44th president of the United States, lots of people had either took a day of absence at work and at studies just to be there or even possibly be home to watch it. I am totally surprised of this occurrence. So, this is the meaning of a historical day, Obama Day...huh?
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
united_states