AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2011-03-11, 16:43   Link #301
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Exactly.. there are teams in Japan already doing this sort of post-disaster computations and gathering the resources. Its how things get done.

Its really just staggering looking at the damage from street-view walking videos. Start counting up the yen to clear a street full of boats, cars, former houses, flotsam, jetsam. Now multiply that across the northern coastline.

Start thinking about entire villages where every family was wiped out or partially so. The cost of their re-adjustment both emotionally and financially.

That hilltop video of the small village being destroyed on the BBC site kind of personalized it for me but it doesn't make the huge task ahead for Japan go away.
Well I still have a friend in Chiyoda who is STILL MIA, and it almost hit 12 hours. Add another 12 and the embassy will be sending a missing persons letter to his mom.

[mod edit: paragraph removed]

The first off the cap is to solve problems that are visible, namely the missing and homeless. Get their basic needs addressed first, then go for the missing. It is ugly to live the dead lying around, but saving lives is of utmost importance here - they can worry about the dead later.

The practical solutions aren't very welcoming. It will never be anyway in a scenario like this.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2011-03-12 at 03:36. Reason: Do not post about reputation
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 16:50   Link #302
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Radiation levels at the damaged Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant are continuing to rise. The Jiji Press news agency says the levels are eight times above normal. Its report also cites a ministry official as saying there is a "possibility of a radioactive leak". Prime Minister Kan has departed by helicopter to quake-hit north-eastern Japan.

UPDATED: multiple source say 1000x now

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 16:51   Link #303
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiNoKen View Post
As a "nudge" (or reminder) to people that doesn't remember:

If you have friends or co-workers in Japan, make sure you send them an email to ask them if they are all right.
Sent one about an hour ago. Still haven't gotten a reply. They're rather good friends too. I am really hoping that everyone's okay.
Old 2011-03-11, 16:54   Link #304
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw View Post
Radiation levels at the damaged Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant are continuing to rise. The Jiji Press news agency says the levels are eight times above normal. Its report also cites a ministry official as saying there is a "possibility of a radioactive leak". Prime Minister Kan has departed by helicopter to quake-hit north-eastern Japan.
Shut down the entire plant. Stop using Geiger counters, and take a thermal/IR photo of the tanks, pipes, etc. There may be hairline cracks that are causing this.

P.S Don't they have some sort of robot crew, like those used by bomb-disposal to scout for these kind of problems?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-03-11, 16:55   Link #305
Prodigy
Heartless

Quote:
here much better way to donate

this getting serious (skip intro about 15 second)

It was already serious before this, talk about pouring salt on the wound.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 16:55   Link #306
Alchemist007
*Author

Probably mentioned by now, but their building codes actually helped save lives http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/12/wo...s.html?_r=2&hp
Old 2011-03-11, 16:57   Link #307
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Stupid shifting tectonic plates. Mother nature is a cruel mistress.

It wasn't something that could be prevented nor something that can be fixed that easily though. Unfortunately there's not much to do except move on, mourn those lost and try to rebuild.

Don't mean to sound like a jerk but personally, even though the losses were great in both, I think the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bombs were a bigger deal than this is, and the world's already moved past that a while ago.
Old 2011-03-11, 16:57   Link #308
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Shut down the entire plant. Stop using Geiger counters, and take a thermal/IR photo of the tanks, pipes, etc. There may be hairline cracks that are causing this.

P.S Don't they have some sort of robot crew, like those used by bomb-disposal to scout for these kind of problems?
even if they already shutdown they need to cooldown

anyway the pressure is double now

Old 2011-03-11, 16:59   Link #309
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Don't mean to sound like a jerk but personally, even though the losses were great in both, I think the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bombs were a bigger deal than this is, and the world's already moved past that a while ago.
This is what I've been thinking. I'm not trying to downplay the tragedy at all, but it really isn't a huge deal compared to many other disasters that happened last century.

Just hope Japan can survive this...
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 16:59   Link #310
MaiNoKen
◕ ‿‿ ◕
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86
Sent one about an hour ago. Still haven't gotten a reply. They're rather good friends too. I am really hoping that everyone's okay.
It is ~7 AM there right now so many are asleep, and there may communication disruptions. As for now have faith and kindness are most important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw
multiple source say 1000x now
According to BBC, that is within the reactor (not leaked). I guess we will see in the next couple of hours what would happen. However, I have far more faith in Japanese nuclear energy than what happened in Ukraine many years ago. (Chernobyl disaster is not even a leak, the Chernobyl reactor overheated, and literally exploded and interior of the reactor is exposed to open air).
MaiNoKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 17:04   Link #311
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
I think i've got a massive migrain after i've been checking a news on my Laptop for 10 hours about what's happening now in Japan after earthquake strikes. Never sleeps.
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 17:06   Link #312
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:
According to BBC, that is within the reactor (not leaked). I guess we will see in the next couple of hours what would happen. However, I have far more faith in Japanese nuclear energy than what happened in Ukraine many years ago. (Chernobyl disaster is not even a leak, the Chernobyl reactor overheated, and literally exploded and interior of the reactor is exposed to open air).
According to various news sites I'm following, this "1000 times normal value" was measured in a control room of the plant, not inside the reactor. So this would be a leak. It may just mean they read an instrument in that control room though.
They actually don't know how it's looking inside the reactor.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 17:07   Link #313
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

I have been fortunate on the whole... I have been able to contact or have been contacted by most of my friends in Japan.

However, there are a few from whom I have yet to hear... *sigh*
Old 2011-03-11, 17:11   Link #314
MaiNoKen
◕ ‿‿ ◕
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky
According to various news sites I'm following, this "1000 times normal value" was measured in a control room of the plant, not inside the reactor.
I have not seen the original release from Japan, but the release from BBC. Regardless what is the exact wording, we just have to trust the hands of Japanese emergency services.
MaiNoKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 17:12   Link #315
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

current death toll: 430

Old 2011-03-11, 17:15   Link #316
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
It is ~7 AM there right now so many are asleep, and there may communication disruptions. As for now have faith and kindness are most important.
I don't think I can have any faith after those stuff I learnt throughout my school life kicked in from my memory.

Spoiler for Not for the faint-hearted:

Old 2011-03-11, 17:17   Link #317
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
This is what I've been thinking. I'm not trying to downplay the tragedy at all, but it really isn't a huge deal compared to many other disasters that happened last century.

Just hope Japan can survive this...
you cannot compare war with disaster, even if they involved thousand of casualties. they are completely different scenario

Old 2011-03-11, 17:18   Link #318
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009

Tell me what is reminds you of.
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 17:21   Link #319
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
they are completely different scenario
Why? People die either way, and frankly I consider deaths due to human action far, far worse than deaths due to nature deciding to give us the middle finger.

One is preventable, the other is not. In this situation, there's really not much that can be done other than attempt to save as many lives as possible, pick up the pieces, and start rebuilding.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 17:23   Link #320
Xagzan

I heard Tokyo get a quake warning about an hour ago. Is it still in one piece?
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disaster, japan, tsunami