AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 6 6.74%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 14 15.73%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 19.10%
7 out of 10 : Good 31 34.83%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 10.11%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 5.62%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 3.37%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 2.25%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.25%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-10-19, 10:33   Link #181
Wrath88
Kissing...

Meh, I just thought that Saten was just inside to provide the role of a civilian being nearby to the Judgment group. (I know Mikoto is technically a civilian, but I drop the title if the person in question can blast cars like its nothing)

I found Uiharu's humming as she providing directions extremely funny.
Old 2009-10-19, 10:35   Link #182
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Yeah that was cute. She's really evil, something like that is evil in a cute kind of way while being cute in an evil kind of way.
Old 2009-10-19, 10:36   Link #183
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath88 View Post
(I know Mikoto is technically a civilian, but I drop the title if the person in question can blast cars like its nothing)
Mikoto herself actually does that too.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 10:39   Link #184
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Wait... Dummy Check was YUKARIN?! WHO IN THE WORLD SAID IT WAS RIE?!

No wonder I was wondering how come Rie sounded so weird... And not tsun enough.
It was me. My Bad!
Sorry about that. It's just that her voice sounded like Rie. Guess i need to see more anime staring Yukarin to tell the 2 apart.

PS: It took you that long to realize this when it was already mention since the 4th page?
Old 2009-10-19, 10:41   Link #185
Wrath88
Kissing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Yeah that was cute. She's really evil, something like that is evil in a cute kind of way while being cute in an evil kind of way.
To me, it's more of a 'yes yes, you're running but I'll get you eventually' feel. Nothing evil about it, just that she's having ZERO trouble.
Old 2009-10-19, 10:47   Link #186
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Meh, I just thought that Saten was just inside to provide the role of a civilian being nearby to the Judgment group. (I know Mikoto is technically a civilian, but I drop the title if the person in question can blast cars like its nothing)
Batman's technically a civilian.

Quote:
I found Uiharu's humming as she providing directions extremely funny.
I actually think I grew to love Uiharu more this episode than to Saten-san.
Old 2009-10-19, 11:22   Link #187
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

One little inconsistency in the episode though, the girl can only erase her presence from the people directly, but not from her reflections, cameras and so on, right? Shouldn't Saten have seen the girl coming in through the door then? She was looking in the mirror at that time...
Old 2009-10-19, 11:24   Link #188
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
One little inconsistency in the episode though, the girl can only erase her presence from the people directly, but not from her reflections, cameras and so on, right? Shouldn't Saten have seen the girl coming in through the door then? She was looking in the mirror at that time...
She did, IIRC, but not in time. I think she was looking down at something else most of the time, and then when the girl walked in, she looked up, then TASER'D.

That's how she was so adamant about the picture of the suspect when she woke up; she had seen her in the mirror.
Old 2009-10-19, 11:45   Link #189
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
What I'm not going to be able to do is convince certain people here how Kuroko isn't that annoying.
Have them read the manga. Where she is less annoying due to getting to be more awesome and having more reason for her annoying traits than she has so far in the anime. And spends less of her time showing her annoying traits.

Quote:
I am sure I don't need to remind manga readers on what incident I'm talking about, and I'm sure many will agree that the more we grow to like Saten, the greater the impact of that part of the plot will be.

So yes, even though this episode was not from the manga, it will eventually serve to make the eventual arrival of Saten's part in the plot better than the manga.
It pushed her connection with Kuroko a little bit too much too early.
This would have been better set within Tokiwadi [rather than inventing the extra security zone] and during the three day timeskip. Or without Kuroko.

I think this may have let Saten see a bit too far under Kuroko's Judgement martinet front for this early in the plot.
dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 14:28   Link #190
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Wow, putting-words-in-mouth again.....where did I try to draw a parallel like that? You know exactly what I meant. If they had tried to put Bleach, Naurto, One Piece, or any action-based manga into a slice-and-life story for the anime, it would have attracted massive hate, much more than simply having mediocre fillers.

Yes they're placing flags, but it's hard to focus on those when the rest of the episode is quite ridiculous. And yes there's criminal activity stuff in the manga of course, and those would be action scenes, by the way, and serious ones at that. This episode....did the "comical" part quite badly. I didn't laugh like I did in episode 2. Not by an extreme long-shot. Aroduc put it quite nicely on his Seiha Blog.

Well I'm not defending how they put their points, but their points themselves are valid.
oi, oi, I was talking about why should Railgun be all action from the start and you are the one to bring up Bleach. You used Bleach as an example as to why it is okay when I was discussing Railgun, and you think you didn't draw any parallel?

So my point is shown, right? Whether it was done bad to you or not or if you hated it or not or if the rainbow turned black, the fact is that the story isn't going in a, in your words that I said were wrong, "completely different" paths.

Either way, it seems like whatever has been resolved. Well, it seems to be resolved from KholdStare's post, anyways. Whether the other two still have some case against the posters in this board, there is no way I could see.
*tosses pointless topic aside*

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 17:31   Link #191
BlueDo

It's kinda sad that the discussion has come down like this.
Oh well, this is inevitable considering how there was much expectation of Railgun before it aired.

Last edited by BlueDo; 2009-10-20 at 00:00.
BlueDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 17:42   Link #192
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

For me at least, those expectations are far from shattered. I mean we're at, what, episode 3? of the at the least 12 episodes? I don't see much reason to worry just yet.
Old 2009-10-19, 18:41   Link #193
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
For me at least, those expectations are far from shattered. I mean we're at, what, episode 3? of the at the least 12 episodes? I don't see much reason to worry just yet.
I agree.
Since they are exclusive anime chapters/non canon chapters I'm expecting the serious thing until the chapter 6.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 20:08   Link #194
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
We learned more about Saten's tastes and opinions, Saten was the one sprayed wet and ending up in the Tokiwadai uniform, Saten was the one victimized by Nanoh- I mean Miho, and the one who delivered the end speech. Was she the star that solved everything in the episode? No, but the focus was definitely on her.
So we learned some incredibly non-consequential stuff about Saten. She got some considerable focus sure, but past that, nada.

Quote:
I never said the action was too fast, I said they got to the action too fast. And while their worth to the arc was small, the impact of their respective scenes was reduced even more because they were seen a lot less there. That is what the anime is improving.
I don't agree that they got to it too fast either; they really took their time getting to it. And more screentime doesn't mean more impact; they're not going to make any more difference now than in the manga at this point.

Quote:
Yes, and that bolded part is exactly my point. Merely by getting more screentime we see more of the character. She doesn't change at all, but merely by seeing more of her I grow to like her so much more than I did in the manga, where we got to see little to nothing of her.
And while that's your choice and opinion to like her or not, that doesn't make her any more important to the show.
Personally, it takes a lot more than screentime for my opinion of someone to change. I wouldn't like Touma any more or less in this series just because he doesn't get much screentime.

Quote:
The characters don't need to change in order for us to feel more for them, we just need to see them more. And we did learn more about Saten. Would you have known she prefers the cheesecake or the casualty of weather otherwise? Or that, despite her skirt-flipping habits, she doesn't like short skirts?
I'd have to say "big deal" to cheesecake, the weather, and short skirts; I would find that quite a bit apalling if those kinds of little things actually influenced a person's opinion of another. It's like saying you like or hate someone for liking the color blue. Incredibly shallow, and none of that has any impact on anything here, much less the upcoming arc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
oi, oi, I was talking about why should Railgun be all action from the start and you are the one to bring up Bleach. You used Bleach as an example as to why it is okay when I was discussing Railgun, and you think you didn't draw any parallel?
Well the only parallel I was drawing was that between action-based series-es, and Bleach fits into that category, right?

Quote:
So my point is shown, right? Whether it was done bad to you or not or if you hated it or not or if the rainbow turned black, the fact is that the story isn't going in a, in your words that I said were wrong, "completely different" paths.
When the story of the manga is circumvented to chase around Invisible eye-drawing Espers, then yes, the story takes a nearly completely different path. You guys yourselves have been going on about "maybe the anime is going to do things differently than the manga and go on a lot more about the friendship;" so far they're doing that, and while it looks like the upcoming plot will be there, the episodes so far have gone in a very different direction. Now like I've said many times, I have no problem with that......when it's not just random nonsense about some eyebrow-misgiven Invisible eyebrow-drawer. Maybe if the episode had balanced it out with good humor I could have liked it better, but they failed on that end too. So no drama, no humor, and nothing new (of any consequence) on the end of the characters; not a good trifecta. Again, Aroduc stated my thoughts very well.
On a very similar parallel, I loved Full Metal Panic Fumoffu to death (the onsen episodemade me laugh like no other comedy scene ) even though I had wanted to see more of the main story and plot, because they did the humorous antics incredibly well. So far this show isnt doing well on its end of much. But I remain positive on the series in general, and hopeful that they'll do the rest of the anime-original episodes well, as JC Staff hasn't made any anime-original material I've hated. While I may not have thought episode 2 was incredible or even close, I still thought it was good because it made me laugh a lot. The episodes just don't have the character-fleshing that other people here are trying to pass by us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDo View Post
It's kinda sad that the discussion has come down like this.
Oh well, this is inevitable considering how there was much expectation of Railgun before it aired.
And if you're talking about me there, nobody said my expectations were shattered yet, like Keroko. I'm still around watching it; I'm also sticking around for when the good stuff kicks in eventually. Just the fillers are disappointing so far. See final parts of reply to serenade for more.

Last edited by Shinji103; 2009-10-19 at 20:36.
Shinji103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 20:28   Link #195
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
my latest infraction: "Yui avatar. ewwwwww"

Spoiler for OFF-TOPIC:

on-topic:

during the "invisible woman" chase, why didn't Kuroko use her teleporting powers catch up with her using the information given by Uiharu?

instead of letting our electric princess in the playground getting tazered but luckily had no effect on her cuz she herself IS a tazer
or they're just showing of/ total SHOW-OFF their own style or something?
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 20:32   Link #196
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
during the "invisible woman" chase, why didn't Kuroko use her teleporting powers catch up with her using the information given by Uiharu?

instead of letting our electric princess in the playground getting tazered but luckily had no effect on her cuz she herself IS a tazer
or they're just showing of/ total SHOW-OFF their own style or something?
Hmmm, that's a good point. It should've been possible. I guess I'd have to go with your opiion that they were just doing a show-off thing?
Old 2009-10-19, 21:08   Link #197
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Well, I suppose that if you're not even trying to see the bright side of things, any anime becomes a drag. I'm just glad I managed to turn my half-empty vision from the previous episode into a half-full vision. It made this episode all the more enjoyable.
Old 2009-10-19, 21:56   Link #198
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Hmmm, that's a good point. It should've been possible. I guess I'd have to go with your opiion that they were just doing a show-off thing?
The humming... The off-handedness in the chase... The waiting by the swing... I think they were definitely showing off, while wearing Miho out.
Old 2009-10-20, 06:49   Link #199
SoggySoyBean
Squishie

Episode 4 Preview shots are up on the official site.
SoggySoyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-20, 09:27   Link #200
Nayrael
The Faceless One

Send a message via MSN to Nayrael
Well, well... seems the plot is starting to move next ep...