AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-01-20, 01:22   Link #21
Ferp

Check out Monster, truly incredible series with one of the greatest villains in my anime experience.
Ferp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 02:02   Link #22
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Why don't you give Sora no Woto, Sora o Kakeru Shoujo, & xxxHolic a chance if you're interested.
Old 2013-01-25, 16:04   Link #23
Yahiro
Himono Onna

Hi everyone, I was absent due to business reasons. I haven't seen red garden at all, I suppose I can add that to my list.

Mystogan, I haven't seen 07-Ghost, but I did read about D.Gray Man and found it really interesting so definitely going to give that one a shot.

Kirito, I have seen only XXXholic because I was promised a theme that wasn't really focused on (rather glanced over) yet still enjoyed it as I typically do.

Hmm, and another one for Monster... I should probably bump that up on my list.

As for Himono Onna, it was the word when I was growing up. It is even more ironic that it is out of date now, so I am going to keep it.
Yahiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 17:45   Link #24
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I forgot to include Uchuu Kyoudai ("Space Brothers"). The main character, Mutta, has a crush on fellow astronaut-trainee Serika, but it's just frosting on the cake.

Another show I watched recently that might be of interest is the first installment of what now looks to be a longer series of dramatic shows under the label "Otona Joshi no Anime Time" ("Anime Time for Women"). This one concerns a 30-yo woman who returns to Japan after living in America and contemplates her marriage and her future.

Hyouge Mono continues to be released at a slow pace, but it does look like Doremi will finish what Huzzah began. Only about half the episodes have yet been subbed (unless you read Chinese). This is a fascinating story about the "Sengoku" or "warring states" period told from the perspective of one of Nobunaga Oda's vassals. He represents the "warrior-esthete" tradition and is obsessed with art, particularly the pottery used in tea ceremonies. In the background we witness the scheming and and striving for power among the warlords who dominated this period of Japanese history. (NHK requested that AS not link to the torrents for this show, so I cannot do so either. I gave you some big hints, though.)

One show that isn't on that big list I gave in the other thread is Kurenai. Sixteen-year-old Shinkarou is a "dispute mediator" (really an "enforcer") who becomes the caretaker for a seven-year-old heiress from a powerful industrialist clan. The show has the trappings of a harem comedy as Shinkarou is surrounded by females from little Murasaki to two high-school classmates and the adult women who live in his apartment building. That's a ruse, though. The real story is deeper and darker than that, though there are many hilarious moments throughout as well.

Finally I'll add the anthology of short stores that appear as the licensed "Bakeneko" and its unlicensed sequel Mononoke. In these tales a traveling medicine seller encounters demons that he slays after determining how they were conjured up by the evil acts of those they haunt. Sakurai Takahiro delivers my all-time favorite performance by a male seiyuu in the main role.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-01-25 at 18:01.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 20:09   Link #25
Yahiro
Himono Onna

Whoa SeijiSensei~ Another wealth of information for me. I will be commuting a lot to the university here so this gives me even more to watch. I have heard fo Kurenai, but never really watched it. Uchuu Kyoudai sounds interesting to me from what I read. Though Otona Joshi No Anime Time sounds cute and interesting. I will have to look into that one further. I'm grateful for you and everyone else helping me out. I had fallen out of the anime scene so it's nice to get more information to work with!
Yahiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 22:10   Link #26
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahiro View Post
Otona Joshi No Anime Time sounds cute
I wouldn't use cute to describe that show at all. The main character is quite beautifully drawn, but in a very mature and womanly way. The story isn't especially "cute" either.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 21:06   Link #27
deadlights911

Though the main character does get in a relationship, BTOOOM! is not technically a romance anime, it's a brutally dark anime that isn't afraid to shy away from the darker sides of human nature.

The first episode is a bit generic but get past that and you'll be getting into a really great anime.
deadlights911 is offline   Reply With Quote