AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 26 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 43 46.74%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 28.26%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 15.22%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 4.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.17%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 2.17%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.09%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-30, 09:29   Link #101
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I was wondering if anyone else caught that... haha. He is at the end when Minko is asking for a job and Tohru get's her back. But it's just the same character design... Shinichirou's dad isn't a cook after all.

Speaking of... it would have been awesome to see some cameos from True Tears characters through out.
pff.. you expect me to miss that? you should know how highly i rate TT. there was that ep earlier where Ohana went back to Tokyo and there was a billboard with Hiromi on it. that's actually the only one i can think of.

I wouldn't say the show is better than TT, but its almost there. but then again, its a different type of show, so requirements for its ending is different.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2011-09-30, 19:04   Link #102
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
Wait what? You're actually saying HanaIro is better than Anohana or True Tears? :/.
Sure. True Tears never made much impression on me, and Anohana wasn't very good. Canaan was a disaster, so there's no need to compare to it. Aside from True Tears, these shows' weaknesses originate from the writing and poor planning, so Hanairo is a marked improvement over them. Okada has proven to be better at getting the most out of adapted works since Hourou Musuko was awesome, and a lot of the production was reliant on how they chose to adapt the manga.

Quote:
And HanaIro couldn't even dream of matching the level of consistency that Anohana had. Yes, Anohana had a few problems with being overly melodramatic, but unlike Hanairo, it didn't have outright "offensive" episodes like 3, 7 and 17.
But it had episodes 2-10 .

Quote:
Anyways, back on topic. This was perfect as it can get in regards to ending HSI. Nothing too overly happy, nothing too overly sad. The "life goes on" type ending. I'm actually surprised HSI managed to end on a high note, compared to most animes out there which tends to have subpar endings. Good job HSI 10/10
The quality of the ending can be attributed to good planning on the part of the creators. They had to have known exactly where they planned to end the story and how to do so pretty much from the conceptualization of the show. Without that, they'd never have been able to pull off the Ohana-mother-grandmother comparison/contrast as well as they did. The foreknowledge of when a show is ending is one of the advantages of original anime, and it's good to see that used to good effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
Ironically, those listed series all have different focus in their theme.
That's a good thing. It shows that Okada is willing to try out different things. I only wish that she would branch out more by exploring ideas from outside the anime/manga/video game/light novel trap.
Old 2011-09-30, 21:02   Link #103
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
That's a good thing. It shows that Okada is willing to try out different things. I only wish that she would branch out more by exploring ideas from outside the anime/manga/video game/light novel trap.
My main point is, we cant' compare them to each other, they're in different fields and have different targeted audiences.

But if I've to compare ^ I say this series is the best, because it has a realistic feeling, something I can relate to and the portrayal of the Japanese life at a Inn, makes me feel like I'm there.
Old 2011-09-30, 21:46   Link #104
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Sure. True Tears never made much impression on me, and Anohana wasn't very good. Canaan was a disaster, so there's no need to compare to it. Aside from True Tears, these shows' weaknesses originate from the writing and poor planning, so Hanairo is a marked improvement over them. Okada has proven to be better at getting the most out of adapted works since Hourou Musuko was awesome, and a lot of the production was reliant on how they chose to adapt the manga.
I guess personal opinions can't be changed. But to me, True Tears writing and planning was overall solid as it was just the right length (and didn't drag like HSI). It did the "love-triangle" genre/element justice (except to certain "butthurt" shippers ) that the vast majority of anime in the same genre could only dream about. In fact, most of the time I dislike love-triangles and harems, but True Tears (and Okada in general with her "relationship trolling") executed it in a manner that is well-made and highly entertaining that I actually like it.

Canaan was an "okay" sequel to the Type-Moon novel 428 and it was better than anything DEEN has adapted Type-Moon wise (oh the pain of the Unlimited Blade Works movie). Not saying it was great though, which is much like I view HSI.

I agree with Hourou Musuko being an excellent adaptation, though I'm not sure how much credit should be given to Okada for that. Would say more credit should be given to Ei Aoki (director) and Takako Shimura (original mangaka) imo.

Quote:
But it had episodes 2-10 .
Which ranged from medicore to good, with 3 being utter garbage. Seriously though, I was massively disappointed that the approach taken from the first two episodes were pretty much ignored. What the opening two episodes portrayed to me was a coming of age story, where Ohana would initially go through hardship trying to fit after being "dumped" by her own mother but then eventually win over Sui, who is an "old-school, asian grandmother". What did we get instead? Typical anime light comedy and shenanigans with some of the most fail and pathetic male character cast I've seen.

Granted, the Tokyo/Satsuki arc was also excellent as well as the last 4-5 episodes of the series, but this was countered by having a medicore to good majority of the 2nd cour as well.

The series was at its best when it focused on Kissuiou and the main trio (Ohana, Minko, Nako) and if you're enjoy Okada's relationship trolling, the romance elements. The series was at its worst when it decided to waste so many episodes on side characters most people didn't even care about (Enishi being the worse offender, but also Yuina). It was jarring and inconsistent as heck and I don't think I've watched a series where I both simultaneously loved it and hated it at the same time. One moment, it's some of the best I've seen in the slice of life genre, other times I facepalm at how pathetic it is.

Quote:
The quality of the ending can be attributed to good planning on the part of the creators. They had to have known exactly where they planned to end the story and how to do so pretty much from the conceptualization of the show. Without that, they'd never have been able to pull off the Ohana-mother-grandmother comparison/contrast as well as they did. The foreknowledge of when a show is ending is one of the advantages of original anime, and it's good to see that used to good effect.
Good planning? Pulling off the mother, grandmother, daughter contrast very well? I think not. This show much like Ano Hana started off using a hybrid approach using J-drama/K-drama elements with anime, but unlike Ano Hana, didn't follow through.

Quote:
It is somewhat of a good thing Okada is willing to try different things, but I wish production studios would stop "hiring" her for everything. Okada is at her best with her dialogue and subtlety and "relationship trolling" elements. She's at her worst when it comes to trying to make or adapt anything outside the "slice of life" genre. Okada has also seemed to be developed a crossdressing fetish as of late which I would like to see the editors control. Not saying Okada should be limited to her strengths only, but production studios need to learn that Okada is not good at everything. For example, check out this Kenshin thread and see how much of a backlash it's getting regarding production lineup.
Old 2011-10-01, 07:49   Link #105
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I think we're comparing series from different genres too much here. I think many of us hoped for a drama like True Tears but ended up with a slice of life with comedy and a little drama. However, this was a truly enjoyable series and while there were some "meh" episodes, it was still a fun watch that I looked forward to watching each week.

And True Tears is one of my favorite animes of all time and my favorite romance anime too. It is just a superb series on so many counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
pff.. you expect me to miss that? you should know how highly i rate TT. there was that ep earlier where Ohana went back to Tokyo and there was a billboard with Hiromi on it. that's actually the only one i can think of.
Haha, sorry, my mistake. And yes, I remember the Hiromi poster. <3 Hiromi.
Old 2011-10-01, 15:15   Link #106
4Tran

Quote:
Canaan was an "okay" sequel to the Type-Moon novel 428 and it was better than anything DEEN has adapted Type-Moon wise (oh the pain of the Unlimited Blade Works movie). Not saying it was great though, which is much like I view HSI.
I didn't like Fate/Stay Night, but Canaan wasn't any better. It might be even worse because the ideas behind the premise had some potential. But then we found out what the show was about. Ugh!

Quote:
I agree with Hourou Musuko being an excellent adaptation, though I'm not sure how much credit should be given to Okada for that. Would say more credit should be given to Ei Aoki (director) and Takako Shimura (original mangaka) imo.
It's quite obvious that all three deserve a share of the credit. As the series composer, Okada's share is fairly apparant - she got to choose what scenes and sequences to adapt and where to place them. It's no mean feat considering that they had to take the middle portion of a story and tell it coherently with only 11 episodes to work with. If that job wasn't performed properly, the show would have been a lot weaker than it was. In comparison, a manga like Usagi Drop is far easier to adapt.

Quote:
Which ranged from medicore to good, with 3 being utter garbage. Seriously though, I was massively disappointed that the approach taken from the first two episodes were pretty much ignored. What the opening two episodes portrayed to me was a coming of age story, where Ohana would initially go through hardship trying to fit after being "dumped" by her own mother but then eventually win over Sui, who is an "old-school, asian grandmother". What did we get instead? Typical anime light comedy and shenanigans with some of the most fail and pathetic male character cast I've seen.
Story elements can be typical and still well done at the same time. Hanairo was hardly stellar in all areas, but it still did very well within the playground it chose to stay inside. I'd have preferred if Hanairo was a heavy drama instead, but what I wanted should detract from what we got.

For the record, I liked episode 3 and I like the male cast as well - especially Ren and Enishi. There were only 4-5 weak-poor episodes in the whole run of the show, and that's not too bad a record for a 25-episode series.

Quote:
Good planning? Pulling off the mother, grandmother, daughter contrast very well? I think not. This show much like Ano Hana started off using a hybrid approach using J-drama/K-drama elements with anime, but unlike Ano Hana, didn't follow through.
I'm not sure what you mean by a hybrid approach, but I think that any show that can execute its themes well and provide a good wrap-up is deserving of praise.

Quote:
It is somewhat of a good thing Okada is willing to try different things, but I wish production studios would stop "hiring" her for everything. Okada is at her best with her dialogue and subtlety and "relationship trolling" elements. She's at her worst when it comes to trying to make or adapt anything outside the "slice of life" genre.
Okada's best work to date is Hourou Musuko, and it's a drama, not a slice of life show. For that matter, Hanairo isn't a slice of life show either.
Old 2011-10-01, 19:09   Link #107
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Hourou Musuko is a very fine anime, but giving Okada-san credit is like giving credit to the delivery guy if your pizza was really good. Once the committee made the crucial decision about which parts of the manga to adapt, it was really all about the source material - the portions they adapted are very faithful and literal.

It's certainly fair to judge Okada based on her original series, and I suppose even to compare them - though True Tears and HanaIro are apples and oranges in terms of style and content. For the record, I consider both True Tears and AnoHana to be Okada's best work, and both to be far superior to HanaIro.
Old 2011-10-02, 15:54   Link #108
amasposu

I was turned off by episode 11 and went on a 3-month hiatus. I'm glad I resumed. The story is solid until the very end. =)

I like Nako the most, followed by Yuina, Minko and Ohana, in that order. I like Nako's personality the most and Ohana's the least. Nako is so cute. (Incidentally, that is the order of bust size from largest to smallest. >_>;;;)
Old 2012-03-10, 18:52   Link #109
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

i'm must be the weird one here for wanting ohana back to tokyo and an ohana x ko shipper from start to end
anyway, this anime really moving, and i'm really happy that it getting another season
*listen to OP1 for 3 hours*
Old 2012-03-11, 04:51   Link #110
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
Just finished this anime. I heard a second season was in the works?

I'd give the first cour a 8.5/10, but the second half was kind of weak. Granted I liked the conclusion.
Old 2014-01-16, 10:09   Link #111
jing26142

This anime is just absolutely beautiful and heart-warming. A great ending knowing that everyone moves on. Just great all in all. 9/10 well deserved.
Closed Thread