AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-08-31, 14:36   Link #121
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
photo id should be the least of you democrats' worries

the 'unmotivated' and those who simply 'moved on' should cause your party to be alarmed
I'm not a democrat, and I find what the GOP is doing alarming
Old 2012-08-31, 14:37   Link #122
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
and for libs to resist having that simple requirement to show up in poll centers boggles the sane mind.

question to non-Americans... Do you have to show a photo ID to vote in local/state/province/natl elections? Right now as it stands, USA is once again... exceptional... when it comes to this
Never mind voting, you need a photo ID just in case you meet a cop and he feels like... well, like checking you have a photo ID.

But it's free and you can get one at the town hall, so it's not a big deal.
Old 2012-08-31, 14:39   Link #123
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
and for libs to resist having that simple requirement to show up in poll centers boggles the sane mind.

question to non-Americans... Do you have to show a photo ID to vote in local/state/province/natl elections? Right now as it stands, USA is once again... exceptional... when it comes to this
No one is against the concept of a photo ID, the problem is this.

1) They charge money for it - implicit poll tax. Illegal. If they were free and readily accessible to obtain - No issue.
2) The states being taken to court are in trouble because they are stripping people off of the lists first and then the person has to prove they're legitimate to get back on. That doesn't exactly follow "innocent til proven guilty" lines.
3) The states are being selective about where they start stripping the lists (key counties, etc). Even Republican county voting administrators are crying foul.
4) The statistical percentage of voter fraud is negligible.. otoh, the statistical percentage of vote COUNTING and TALLY fraud is happening often enough to warrant investigation. This is particularly true in counties that have spent a lot of money on electronic voting equipment made by Diebold that.... provides wrong results that favor the GOP, imagine.

But then if you don't look past the sound bites, I guess one might miss those things.
Old 2012-08-31, 14:42   Link #124
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

somehow Ann Coulter managers to spark a incendiary rage from within me...

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/08/3...ployed-youths/

Quote:
Appearing on a Fox News broadcast just after the final speech of the 2012 Republican National Convention wrapped up, Republican author Ann Coulter said the high unemployment rate for American youths “makes me laugh and laugh and laugh” because so many young people supported President Barack Obama.

“It’s the one very high, extraordinary unemployment rate that makes me laugh and laugh and laugh, ’cause they all voted for Obama,” she said.
Old 2012-08-31, 14:51   Link #125
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post

Quote:
Appearing on a Fox News broadcast
I think I found the cause.
Old 2012-08-31, 14:52   Link #126
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/08/3...ployed-youths/
What a bitch. In the same breath she goes on to say that no one under the age of 25 should be allowed to vote because their "brains aren't fully formed"

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but my brain feels pretty good to me.
Old 2012-08-31, 15:02   Link #127
GDB

I bet though that she'd be all for lowering the age to serve in the military down to even 14 or so.
Old 2012-08-31, 15:10   Link #128
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

See, in earlier societies we'd put a jester's hat on people like Ann Coulter and throw rotten food at her while she performs --- in modern society, someone pays this village idiot a lot of money and the underinformed peasants nod seriously when she babbles.
Old 2012-08-31, 15:50   Link #129
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Ha, Ann Coulter...that WASP is a witch.
Old 2012-08-31, 16:03   Link #130
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Vote suppression of minorities, the young, the elderly, veterans.

While all the lights and mirrors are going on at the convention, in almost every key flippable state, the Republicans are pushing falsely named "voter id" laws which translate to vote suppression of minorities, the young, the elderly, veterans. Anyone who might be inclined to vote "D".

Fortunately, there's a few judges who have noticed that but there needs to be many more faster.
I know that Texas was trying to do that but it got shot down and now they want to go to Supreme Court about this. I think South Carolina is like that as well. I think I got hit up with that from my state (Georgia) as well. I think that GOP is going to try to win this election by hook or crook.

And about Ann Coulter, there is nothing those fools from there doesnt suprised me anymore. We know that they hate all the "D" and they hate Obama with a passion.

EDIT: It look like Ohio can do Early Voting again and also we, Florida and Texas have had their Republican led voter suppression tactics undone. Small Victory for Obama.

Last edited by Neki Ecko; 2012-08-31 at 16:24.
Old 2012-08-31, 16:04   Link #131
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
See, in earlier societies we'd put a jester's hat on people like Ann Coulter and throw rotten food at her while she performs
Doing the same thing now would get us some accusation about discrimination against moron .

Edit: Romney Camp Defends Eastwood
http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...s-moment0.html
Quote:
In fact, it's not too much to say that what happened in Tampa will be remembered as the Clint Eastwood convention, and the Tropical Storm Isaac convention.
The difference is that one of them was a man-made disaster.
By debating an empty chair that he pretended was President Obama--riffing through a series of strained jokes without a teleprompter--Eastwood ensured that at least half the chatter on Friday morning would be about him, not Romney. But by the weekend, that figure will rise to about 98 percent. And by Monday, Romney's acceptance speech will be largely forgotten.
For the media, Eastwood's Hollywood fame is a mighty magnet, which is precisely the reason the campaign trotted him out as a mystery guest. And journalists weary of a highly scripted convention can hardly be blamed for feasting on an episode that veered so badly off script.
After a Gunslinger Cuts Loose, Romney Aides Take Cover
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/01/us...ds-speech.html
Quote:
Clint Eastwood’s rambling and off-color endorsement of Mitt Romney on Thursday seemed to startle and unsettle even the candidate’s own top aides, several of whom made a point of distancing themselves from the decision to put him onstage without a polished script.
“Not me,” said an exasperated-looking senior adviser, when asked who was responsible for Mr. Eastwood’s speech. In late-night interviews, aides variously called the speech “strange” and “weird.” One described it as “theater of the absurd.”
Two questions: Did someone in the media really liked Eastwood performance or for once everyone share the same opinion ?
Could it been made in purpose, to draw all the attention away from the lies and bullshits than happened before at the convention ?

Last edited by ganbaru; 2012-08-31 at 16:25.
Old 2012-08-31, 16:16   Link #132
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
What a bitch. In the same breath she goes on to say that no one under the age of 25 should be allowed to vote because their "brains aren't fully formed"

Coulter also doesn't believe that women should be allowed to vote (since they tend ro vote Democratic). Her hypothesis is that women are too emotional to reason properly, so important decisions should never be decided by women. The irony of her words never seems to be grasped...
Old 2012-08-31, 16:27   Link #133
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
I think that GOP is going to try to win this election by hook or crook.
They've already been doing that since early 2009 with the whole "Let's harm the well being of America for the sake of trying to make Obama a one term president" thing. What they have been doing (and other things they do) is criminal. Where is the justice?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Coulter also doesn't believe that women should be allowed to vote (since they tend ro vote Democratic). Her hypothesis is that women are too emotional to reason properly, so important decisions should never be decided by women. The irony of her words never seems to be grasped...
By her logic, she too is unable to make proper decisions, thus she can't think for herself, thus we should never give any weight to anything she believes or any opinions she holds. I already write off anything she says, but now I know that Ann Coulter herself indirectly says to others "Hey, don't listen to a word I say!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post

It is funny that she thinks that, because there are many, many people aged 24 and younger that are not a dumb schmuck like her and that have a better grasp of reality and identifying facts. She is a fool. She truly is. It is too bad that she has a decent number of supporters. Just more fools.

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2012-08-31 at 16:39.
Old 2012-08-31, 16:48   Link #134
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

You know what I find funny about the prospects of the Republicans controlling the White House, Congress (and lets face it The Supreme Court) is that we'll be back to where we started in 2002 (after the Senate Majority went back to the Republicans)

Oh how short term the American Public's memory is. Or how divided government works over the past few decades.

Although I do agree, Obama is pretty much closer to Bush I if you look closely.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Old 2012-08-31, 19:10   Link #135
flying ^

Quote:
photo id should be the least of you democrats' worries

the 'unmotivated' and those who simply 'moved on' should cause your party to be alarmed

allow me to bolster this claim...

Democrats Can't Find Their Voters

Many observers think that the election won't be determined by the 5% of voters in 8-10 swing states who haven't made up their minds yet, but by which party does a better job of getting its base to the polls. If would be nice if the voters could be trusted to simply go vote because it is election day (or in many states, pre-election week), but such is not the case. So both parties have lists of people to go badger on election day to see if they have voted or in some cases, help them vote by driving them to the polls, babysitting for them, or providing other assistance. Names can get on these lists because campaign workers have talked to them in the past and them seem to be leaning in the "correct" direction but are not highly motivated to vote. Sometimes campaigns buy lists of people who subscribe to a gun magazine, live in a certain zipcode, or have some other characteristic that gives a hint how they would vote.

A new study in Milwaukee shows that 41% of the addresses supposedly of Black voters are wrong. That is, campaign workers went to the listed address and the people been sought no longer live there. City wide, that means 160,000 Black voters can't be found, probably because most have moved since 2008. There is no reason to think that Milwaukee is an exception, so the problem of mobile voters is going to haunt the Democrats' get-out-the-vote operation in November. As a general rule, Republicans are older and less mobile and are probably easier to find.

... and here's the links dedicated to the 'unmotivated'

you democrats here have a tall order to fill...

Obama's Biggest Problem Is Convincing People Who Already Support Him to Vote

Why 90 million Americans won't vote in November
Old 2012-08-31, 19:28   Link #136
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

That's always an issue in every election. For all the media coverage on "undecided" and "independent" voters, most political campaigns just pay lip service to appealing to those voters. I've worked with a competitive congressional primary a few months ago and it was mostly focused on "getting the troops out" or canvassing voters already registered for your party.

Although there are of course voter drives to expand access as it's much easier to encourage people to vote in the first place rather than courting them to your side. Still these voter ID laws ARE a problem, because it targets the demographics that are traditionally Democrat.

What's the sense of encouraging your party members to vote if they are disenfranchised wholesale in the first place?

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Old 2012-08-31, 20:44   Link #137
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Flying sent me a PM, but it says he doesn't want to receive PMs or can't receive PMs. So I'll just put my response to him in this thread: It's not that I'm a big time supporter of the democrats and Obama. I just hate what the GOP has become. In 2008, I was considering voting for McCain, even. But the GOP has just degraded and degraded and degraded some more in the last 11 years. I'd much rather support the democrats than them at this point.

Please tell me you have some issues with the GOP? You can't tell me you don't see some things that are wrong and bad from them, can you? I'm not talking about minor, little things, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
Still these voter ID laws ARE a problem, because it targets the demographics that are traditionally Democrat.
Yep, just another instance of the GOP playing real dirty for the sake of gaining power in the government. There are so many criminals with them. Even Romney might technically be a felon, depending on what the case is with him and Bain Capital.
Old 2012-08-31, 22:58   Link #138
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Legitimate fact-checking being buried by phony partisan deluge of misinformation:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/01/us...false-ads.html

And I'll observe this comic renders a entirely accurate representation of the delegates the camera has focused on

http://amultiverse.com/2012/08/31/the-tyrrany-of-facts/

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-08-31 at 23:29.
Old 2012-09-01, 00:03   Link #139
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

If Romney wins we should get Liam Neeson explain to people why he shouldn't have 2 terms.
Old 2012-09-01, 00:23   Link #140
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
If Romney wins we should get Liam Neeson explain to people why he shouldn't have 2 terms.
... I don't get the reference. Unless you mean the plot of Taken 3 should be about Neeson doing something about the fact his country was... Taken.
Closed Thread