AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Sora Kake

Notices

Old 2009-02-22, 17:58   Link #1101
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
About the whole "Amazing!" thing ... why is it even controversial? What did yesy translate it as? She clearly yammers: "Ame...ame...ame... AMAZING!" (a-me-ji-n-gu) The entire show is ridiculous, so theres no point in really analyzing why or what she says too much IMHO.

Also, some people just have a better ear than others, even if overall they are a fairly good translator. I've seen this sorta case come up many many times over the years.
Yesy translated it as oneechin, as if she were referring to her sister, and given the fact that she used -chin as a honorific before, it's a forgivable mistake. In my opinion she says "amazing", but it sounds more like "Ameching", so cut yesy some slack.
Revenger1589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-22, 18:03   Link #1102
JediNight
キズランダム

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenger1589 View Post
Yesy translated it as oneechin, as if she were referring to her sister, and given the fact that she used -chin as a honorific before, it's a forgivable mistake. In my opinion she says "amazing", but it sounds more like "Ameching", so cut yesy some slack.
I think I did that when I said it doesn't really matter much, because most of the show is ridiculous
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-22, 18:15   Link #1103
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

Quote:
I think I did that when I said it doesn't really matter much, because most of the show is ridiculous
Sorry, I wasn't talking about you specifically, people have been complaining about this since yesterday, so I meant it in general.
Revenger1589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-22, 18:53   Link #1104
Sin Ansem
With this I'm Invincible!

Send a message via AIM to Sin Ansem Send a message via MSN to Sin Ansem
So what about our eldest Shishidou?

I wonder about how long she's been aware of the goings on before Akiha encountered LEOPARDO...

I Am Negima!?, and SO CAN YOU!
Part the First
Part the Second
Abandon Sanity, all ye who read here
Sin Ansem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-22, 18:58   Link #1105
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Then going back a few pages about the relationship between the colonies -- I'm 95% positive StrikeS is correct. Not only does Nerval say "musuko yo", but the entire conversation was talking about adults vs children. Leopard claiming he had surpassed them in power, then Nerval claiming his power wasn't yet complete. And Xanthippe calling him a child and Nerval saying "We'll meet again, son."

All a very logical flow, and no chance to be misconstrued if Engrish was involved, etc.
After listening again, it seems the last bit does sound like 'musuko yo' and intentionally blurred by radio static.

Well, for amejingu, she said 'ame' 7 times which then became 'amejingu', then theres the important 'gu' which even echoed twice.

Some part of you must love science and know something about the Japanese language to know why Sakura is so amazingly cute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin Ansem View Post

I wonder about how long she's been aware of the goings on before Akiha encountered LEOPARDO...
Its very likely data and information passed down to her. If the colonies are so old and the Shishidou Corporate havin existed over a long time to counter Nerval, I'm sure all data and information have been passed down the generations. Kazane being the eldest and the head of the Corporate will need to know everything.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-22, 19:07   Link #1106
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
Whats this sudden increase of delicious Takane posts around here..Stay away from my waifu !

Gokigenkyou~
*Does a colony drop on Kina

I stake my claim on her first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
Shutup .. mine dated back from the ancient historic life of Morrowind.. which is a game dated back in 2002. Yesy sub runs fine with coreAVC.. or GOMPlayer.
beat you all, mine is a late year 2000 self built that still only has 1gig of pc3200 memory.

*sakura's headwear remind of the aliens form Alien9.
Old 2009-02-22, 20:33   Link #1107
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Sorry if I was kind of exaggerating back there. Yes, the "no forgiveness can be given" should be taken as a joke, guess I put it up the wrong way.

Quote:
Multiple people have pointed out to me how the line was supposed to be "amazing," and now it's being used as a meter of sub quality. I can only say that this surprises and, to an extent, frustrates me.
Believe it or not, I'm biased. Especially when it's something concerns Sakura .
Of course not. I'm just not fond of people who trying to translate everything and lose the spirit of the show. Not to mention my ears can easily catch the "amazing" phrase.

But why bother with an individual like me? It's not like you'll fix everything and re-release when there is official source that mentions what Sakura said.
Old 2009-02-23, 01:13   Link #1108
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Takane managed to score some points from me for being so completely awesome in episode 07. Not only was there the whole harmonica like instrument she played to summon her QT-Arms (which was pulled off after a series of backflips to stand on a narrow pillar mind you), but the poses man, the poses. Also her QT-Arms is by far the coolest out of all of them, especially the way she uses it. Of course after the fight she's just as chill as the rest of them.

This show is really bringing in the spirit of Gaogaigar for me now and it's especially ironic because previously I had demanded Gaogaigar in lieu of this whereas this is pretty much the same idea.

Also of interest, because of the way GotSent converts files I can see the translator notes that StrikeS left in the text file, but which don't normally show up in the standard MKV format. Some of them are interesting while others are just kind of lol. Apparently one of them wanted Sakura to shut up before he killed her in many ways and another referred to Ul's hacking tool as inspired by R2-D2 among other things. There's also much talk of tentacle rape during the part when Nerval first comes down at the end of the first half.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-23, 01:26   Link #1109
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Cat Megex Send a message via Yahoo to Cat Megex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Apparently one of them wanted Sakura to shut up before he killed her in many ways and another referred to Ul's hacking tool as inspired by R2-D2 among other things.
I know that I, for one, immediately thought of R2-D2 when I saw how Ul was hacking the computer system. XD
Cat Megex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-23, 02:15   Link #1110
JediNight
キズランダム

Well in their defense -- try being a translator and deciding if Sakura's lines are actually trying to say something, or just cutesy gibberish She would drive you mad...
Old 2009-02-23, 02:19   Link #1111
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Well in their defense -- try being a translator and deciding if Sakura's lines are actually trying to say something, or just cutesy gibberish She would drive you mad...
weaklings, they should try translating the rant form Fairy Princess Ren. the translator only endup in the hospital for few weeks
Old 2009-02-23, 02:22   Link #1112
kixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Megex View Post
Also, that one word was an isolated incident; there were quite a few things that yesy did in episode 7 that I preferred over StrikeS' version (for one thing, the translation of the subtitles for what Sakura said about Nerval's ability).
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
After listening again, it seems the last bit does sound like 'musuko yo' and intentionally blurred by radio static.

Well, for amejingu, she said 'ame' 7 times which then became 'amejingu', then theres the important 'gu' which even echoed twice.
First, let me say that I'm not angry or trying to incite an argument. I am often misinterpreted in this. I'm merely trying to get a factually-grounded discussion going as to whether or not a mistake has been made. I have already said that I am ready and willing to admit any mistakes.

To Cat Megex first, multiple translators were consulted to translate the text correctly in yesy's version. I don't know the lengths StrikeS went to, but when I saw "Multi-realm Interpretation" I immediately knew that something was off, since it is, beyond any doubt, a reference to the "Many-Worlds Interpretation," which is its proper name. It is not called the "Multi-realm Interpretation." While StrikeS' wording may have made the paragraph more understandable, perhaps, I would call into question its validity because that was an obvious, and irrefutable, mistake.

And, C.A. - I would disagree. While, yes, she does say "ame" repeatedly, I still distinctly hear "onee" and it sounds, veritably, different than the "ame" that she said before. If there were not a frame of reference with her previous pronunciation, then yes it's open for interpretation, but when I can say for sure that she first says "ame" then I, beyond a reasonable doubt in my mind, hear "onee," I would say that you shouldn't be absolutely positive that it's "ame." Other people report the same thing (for example, both of yesy's translators). As for the blips being "gu" - the blips occur while she is still yelling "n," meaning that it is extraordinarily unlikely the blip is the "gu" of "amazing." Play the audio immediately proceeding the first blip, and you will find that you can still hear her "n" in the background.

As for the "musuko yo" - you seem to accept that this could be up to interpretation. Once again, it is extremely likely what he said, but it is not certain because static obscures syllables. Unless you have the script or know for sure, it's very risky to put "son" there, and would probably have been better left as a cut-off phrase. I understand where you're coming from and I agree it's a possible (if not likely) assumption, but it is a very risky one if it turns out the static obscured it and it is in fact something else. Also, yesy messed up in using "Leopard" there. That was, straight up, a bigger mistake.

Last edited by kixor; 2009-02-23 at 02:26. Reason: Forgot to reply to "musuko yo."
kixor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-23, 02:35   Link #1113
JediNight
キズランダム

And that's where I respectfully disagree, kixor. I have a very good ear for hearing dialogue -- years ago before I even began TLing myself, I would have the groups translators asking me to tell them what certain characters were saying, or correcting them in QC.

I quite clearly hear "ame" repeatedly and then "amejingu!" with an echoing "gu" sound. Even if I try listening to it with "oneechin" in mind, I don't hear that being said even if I stretch my imagination. Besides, it wouldn't make any sense to be repeating "ame" then say "onee".

Hopefully we hear her using this catch-phrase more in the future so we can clear up this so totally important phrase ;D
Old 2009-02-23, 02:42   Link #1114
kixor

Quote:
Hopefully we hear her using this catch-phrase more in the future so we can clear up this so totally important phrase ;D
While I must say that you shouldn't be so certain of your own abilities (that's the downfall of some of the greatest people in the world - and besides, I've served to clarify Engrish before as well, so you're not the only one whose ears are considered accurate), what I quoted above is one thing where I can whole-heartedly agree.

On a different note, though, it was never answered where exactly that information about her QT ability came from. Was that ever mentioned somewhere, or was that speculation (and if it was speculation, why did it suddenly become accepted as the law of her QT ability)? I actually am interested in this because if there's a listing somewhere about these, I'd love to see them all.
kixor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-23, 02:56   Link #1115
JediNight
キズランダム

I wonder what Akiha's QT ability will be when she "awakens"...
Old 2009-02-23, 03:54   Link #1116
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Cat Megex Send a message via Yahoo to Cat Megex
Quote:
Originally Posted by kixor View Post
To Cat Megex first, multiple translators were consulted to translate the text correctly in yesy's version. I don't know the lengths StrikeS went to, but when I saw "Multi-realm Interpretation" I immediately knew that something was off, since it is, beyond any doubt, a reference to the "Many-Worlds Interpretation," which is its proper name. It is not called the "Multi-realm Interpretation." While StrikeS' wording may have made the paragraph more understandable, perhaps, I would call into question its validity because that was an obvious, and irrefutable, mistake.
Erm... you misunderstood me. I was saying that I liked yesy's version of that text better. For one thing, it flows better, and for another, it makes more sense. So there's no disagreement there.

Of course, the "I can be shot!" line in yesy's script gave me Nanoha flashbacks, and I preferred StrikerS' equivalent. ("I can fire it!" or something similar.) I'm sure if I went back and compared the scripts line by line, I'd be able to find more bits I liked better in StrikeS' version as well as more bits I liked better in yesy's version.

Personally, I'm going to wait until Blu-ray rips come out before making a decision to stay with any one group. (As those I'll be archiving.)
Cat Megex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-23, 04:29   Link #1117
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
Quote:
I wonder what Akiha's QT ability will be when she "awakens"...
Well she is the "girl who leaps thru space"
Old 2009-02-23, 04:38   Link #1118
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint X View Post
Well she is the "girl who leaps thru space"
Now what? Dimension hopper?
Old 2009-02-23, 06:04   Link #1119
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
I kind of wish Akiha was a bit late, as to see whether she would have become jealous (since Akiha x Itsuki is the way to go). Though, I guess UL would have interfered anyway.
You pervert. It is a pity C.A doesn't draw something like that. He would have gotten enough cookies to make a cookie cannon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
You guys are always fighting over who is your wife/waifu, but in truth, you all lose! (By: Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei)
HONOKA IS MINE! And I want Sakura too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfood1 View Post
i didn't really care about those parts, as long as someone can explain it, that's all it matters to me
It is just like opening a can of food and eating the contents without bothering to figure out if it is for humans or fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin Ansem View Post

She knows about it all right. Otherwise my waifu wouldn't have transferred into Akiha's school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Now what? Dimension hopper?
It probably meant that Akiha took a bigger step than a normal person has in doing things. Perhaps it is just a metaphor.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-23, 06:18   Link #1120
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
HONOKA IS MINE! And I want Sakura too.

It probably meant that Akiha took a bigger step than a normal person has in doing things. Perhaps it is just a metaphor.
First, greedy is one big step toward one's downfall.
Second....c'mon, you should be happy to see 2 Honoka, no?
I'm joking, ok? My heart can't endure 2 Sakura at time, although I'm kind of wishing for that, lolz.

Tags
shoujo, shoujou, shounen, sunrise