AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 151 66.23%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 17.11%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 8.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 4.39%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.75%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.44%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 1.75%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-14, 11:34   Link #261
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Well, just rewatched the episode with subs.
Something interesting happened: in the scene where Ryuji goes to Taiga and plays Santa for her... I literally cried like a little girl when I heard her sounds of happiness. Literally bawled over. Then, when she started running after him, I couldn't stop sobbing. Then, when Minorin showed up in front of Ryuji and was clearly distressed over what to say... I couldn't watch anymore, over the freakin' tears.
Honestly... this hasn't happened to me in a long time, over a single episode of an anime series... I think the last time I cried so much watching something was at the end of Saikano or something. I mean... wow. Props to the animation company.

And I'm not all that much of an emotional person, who cries watching shampoo commercials... this was powerful animation, right there. Kudos to Ms. Rie and Ms. Yui for such dramatic performance.

Old 2009-02-14, 11:41   Link #262
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran~ View Post
if Taiga will choose Ryuuji or Kitamura.
Or Taiga could continue to help Ryuuji get with Minori and at the same time not going for Kitamura.
Old 2009-02-14, 11:52   Link #263
typhonsentra

That discussion about Ami's intentions on the last page got me thinking about that scene between her and Ryuuji at the party.

Spoiler:
Old 2009-02-14, 12:03   Link #264
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

As I said in my write-up, they pegged Ami into more of a professorial role and less of a competitor for Ryuuji's feelings. I don't know whether it's for the better or for the worse, but ... yeah.
Old 2009-02-14, 12:33   Link #265
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye.... its why I'm telling people "watch the anime.... you'll love it. then read the novels... you'll love those even more." going the other way just seems to have more chance of regret for what could have been.
Old 2009-02-14, 12:44   Link #266
Kushi

I'm so pissed off how they're just completely shafting Ami... but iunno this episode was really good even with the lack of Ami so I'll give it a 8 out of 10
Old 2009-02-14, 13:12   Link #267
Fran~
floating away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
aye.... its why I'm telling people "watch the anime.... you'll love it. then read the novels... you'll love those even more." going the other way just seems to have more chance of regret for what could have been.
i second that, i stopped reading about volume 5... plus, i dont how the volume 10 will adapted in a few episodes... that's a huge risk there...
Old 2009-02-14, 13:27   Link #268
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

man all this talk of reading the novels...i wish i could read japanese :cry:
Old 2009-02-14, 13:45   Link #269
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
man all this talk of reading the novels...i wish i could read japanese :cry:
Um... if you'll read the subforums here, you'll find that there are some hardworking fans translating the series into English over at Baka-Tsuki light novel projects website. I can read Japanese (with the handy pile of dictionaries) but I find them immensely helpful as a cross-check.

Dictionaries: Most of them "suck" in some way (not enough words) unless you start spending triple digit $$. The Kodansha line of dictionaries is pretty durable though - especially the kanji dictionaries (they provide several methods of looking up a kanji). They all fall down with slang or jargon though (with is particular hell when dealing with science fiction or teenage sagas).

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-02-14 at 14:10.
Old 2009-02-14, 13:57   Link #270
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Any suggestions for Dictionaries to get?

I've been reading the translated novels so I can watch the Raws a little more reliably. Knowing what will/may happens, I can focus more on the journey of the storyline.
Old 2009-02-14, 14:01   Link #271
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran~ View Post
Exactly... Ami is not clear about her feelings, she is using an indirect approach to Ryuuji, with speeches about minori and taiga, but she is not talking about her and how she sees Ryuuji.

In every romantic title as Toradora and such, that is the main problem, no one speaks clearly. Ami really needs to grab Ryuuji take him to a quiet place and tell him her feelings, from there she can be accepted or rejected. Just after that you can feel all kind of regrets, but not before.
I hope she does tell him her true feelings.

The second problem is titles such as this are misunderstandings too. Its get to be repetitive but this series does it different and well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Well, just rewatched the episode with subs.
Something interesting happened: in the scene where Ryuji goes to Taiga and plays Santa for her... I literally cried like a little girl when I heard her sounds of happiness. Literally bawled over. Then, when she started running after him, I couldn't stop sobbing. Then, when Minorin showed up in front of Ryuji and was clearly distressed over what to say... I couldn't watch anymore, over the freakin' tears.
Honestly... this hasn't happened to me in a long time, over a single episode of an anime series... I think the last time I cried so much watching something was at the end of Saikano or something. I mean... wow. Props to the animation company.

And I'm not all that much of an emotional person, who cries watching shampoo commercials... this was powerful animation, right there. Kudos to Ms. Rie and Ms. Yui for such dramatic performance.
I feel better knowing I'm not the only person like this now. haha.
Old 2009-02-14, 15:12   Link #272
k'2

Send a message via MSN to k'2 Send a message via Yahoo to k'2
so aisaka has the same like Ryuji ( the same hidden unrevealed feeling about Ryuji )

this episode was such a Mega Shot like to me ......

and the Christmas song that was talking about no one being lonely in Christmas + the scenes of aisaka running behind Ryuji and minorin refusal for him created such a Undescribable Scene
Old 2009-02-14, 15:58   Link #273
qwerty_
Knowledge Researcher

10/10, obviously - the awesomeness I [better, we] expected came - and I almost cried in the final minutes of the episode, even without much 'cry-music'.

And I find great the bits of comedy in such a 'angst feast' arc - extra points to JCStaff.

The one-shot end theme... average.
Old 2009-02-14, 16:04   Link #274
typhonsentra

It could've been better maybe but it's obviously hard to write holiday themed music that isn't too hokey. Whether they pulled that off or not is up to the individual to decide.
Old 2009-02-14, 16:15   Link #275
qwerty_
Knowledge Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
It could've been better maybe but it's obviously hard to write holiday themed music that isn't too hokey. Whether they pulled that off or not is up to the individual to decide.
Yes.

Average [like 5/10], same result as Orange here , IMO.

Not that great [like 7 or 8/10] [it's hard to write, doesn't have the first-time listening impact - as we already heard this before in the episode, et cetera], not-biased-as-I-can-be analysis.
Old 2009-02-14, 17:09   Link #276
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Um... if you'll read the subforums here, you'll find that there are some hardworking fans translating the series into English over at Baka-Tsuki light novel projects website. I can read Japanese (with the handy pile of dictionaries) but I find them immensely helpful as a cross-check.

Dictionaries: Most of them "suck" in some way (not enough words) unless you start spending triple digit $$. The Kodansha line of dictionaries is pretty durable though - especially the kanji dictionaries (they provide several methods of looking up a kanji). They all fall down with slang or jargon though (with is particular hell when dealing with science fiction or teenage sagas).
ohh, thank you very much ! though i noticed that some later chapters were finished being translated than some of the earlier ones?
Old 2009-02-14, 17:14   Link #277
halfxasleep

I loved everything about this episode! There are so many little details in the animation which I adore!
Spoiler for Episode 19:
Old 2009-02-14, 17:19   Link #278
typhonsentra

It's still pretty ambiguous as to where they stand too. I think we're supposed to accept that they're rivals who respect each other, or something like that.
Old 2009-02-14, 17:22   Link #279
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
It's still pretty ambiguous as to where they stand too. I think we're supposed to accept that they're rivals who respect each other, or something like that.
Like in typical shonen action anime. But with girls instead.
Old 2009-02-14, 17:54   Link #280
crystalalien87
Louise Fanatic

i was thinking hypothetically...what if taiga caught up to ryuuji at the end? i think he would have stayed with taiga.
Closed Thread