AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2011-12-29, 00:29   Link #441
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I admit, my works aren't as stellar as the masters of the SOTM. I'm only participating because I don't want my Photoshop to rust. However, I was half-hoping that my works are at least recognized, that's why I joined SOTM.

That was not the case here.

I did not feel that I was making any progress, and I feel left out when I get pitted against people that I can't beat in making signatures. So I quit.

With that experience, I concluded that SOTM was too static. There are no newcomers who shock the experienced contestants with their works, and they often end up fighting each other over and over again for the next x months while the rest appear isolated from the competition.

Now, I know your point Dist, but you don't have to rub it in that I suck at making signatures.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-29, 01:08   Link #442
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Just do a SOTM for newcomers or beginners. This way our Marcus won't get stomped again
Old 2011-12-29, 01:13   Link #443
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

^ We could actually do that, provided the mods aren't too busy (which they are most of the time ). A lot of other places that hold competitions have a beginner's and regular level.
Old 2011-12-29, 01:15   Link #444
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

But judging being a newbie through one's signature work is subjective.
Okay, fuck this shit. If the next SOTM will have less than 20 entries from 20 unique users, consider this contest already dead.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2011-12-29, 01:18   Link #445
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

The entrant chooses which one to join. Although with the lack of entrants recently, I'm not sure that we would have enough people to run two competitions. but if we need to manpower then I would be happy to volunteer to count votes or something
Old 2011-12-29, 01:23   Link #446
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

The last SOTM, April 2011, has 12 participants. What happens if we split that number up into 2?

Old 2011-12-29, 01:32   Link #447
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

my it's quite hot in here
I don't wanna butt in but things are kinda getting out of hand.
oh well, debates will be.....debates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
What about having two winners. One by popularity (the voters and how SOTM is usually voted) and another by a panel of judges (like how the previous banner contest is voted). That way no one can say it was rigged and at the same time there's still a choice for you to vote.
I like this idea though, good job thinking on that one.

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-29, 01:41   Link #448
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
The last SOTM, April 2011, has 12 participants. What happens if we split that number up into 2?
Agreed. It'd be a bad idea to splinter the competition just when participation is rising.

@Frailty and ahelo: I'm not sure how that helps? I don't think Tong was trying to say it's rigged, but rather the votes are biased by the reputation of the artist, friendships between the voter and maker, and other similar factors. And the moderators are only human after all, so I'm not sure that they wouldn't be susceptible to the same biases?
Old 2011-12-29, 02:48   Link #449
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

even if they don't mean the same, they sound pretty similar to me.

it's pretty hard to explain but friendship and other things like that
aren't they just considered advantages on contests like these?
isn't it a little..rude, to call it biased immediately?

Old 2011-12-29, 14:05   Link #450
CMSensei
Formerly -> CMHerrera
*Graphic Designer

Debates getting heated..
How about we do this instead?

If we go along with ahelos plan then..

The two who wins the SOTM of that month gets to pick the topic for next month and sits out? and gets to be the judges. So that someone else has a chance to win, when that month is over and they find a winner they get to enter again in the next month.

CM-san's Mystical Creations

"The one who can win
against me, is me!"

- Daiki Aomine
CMSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-29, 20:33   Link #451
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Also considering the Winter Banner contest had 28 entries, I think there's enough interest for the people to join SOTM again. We just need to have more ideas to revamp the contest so that we can actually restart it in a way that won't go on hiatus quickly.
Old 2011-12-29, 21:26   Link #452
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Or make it tournament-like... with losers finals and runners up.
Teams can also be made, either trios or duets. Never saw done before, but in theory it would better than our usual format, since newbies would stand a chance.
Old 2011-12-29, 21:59   Link #453
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

A setup similar to the International Saimoe League would be interesting.
Now we just need a diagnostic as to how many would be interested in joining SOTM.
We can't just rely on the results of the banner contest since there might be more or less people interesting in joining the competition.

Also, we need new rules, such as what happens if there are no staff around, if an interested user wants to join in the middle of the contest, and if a participant wants to leave the contest temporarily or for good.

Old 2011-12-29, 22:19   Link #454
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Also, we need new rules, such as what happens if there are no staff around, if an interested user wants to join in the middle of the contest, and if a participant wants to leave the contest temporarily or for good.
For the first, perhaps a set schedule would help the staff member stay on track. Also having a previously staff-chosen regular forum member as back-up might work for if the head staff member misses a deadline. Those two could collaborate together. I balk at the contest being managed by solely regular members because the contest could easily get out of hand without someone of authority ready to step in and settle everything.

A new user joining in the middle? That doesn't really make sense. Is the user just new to the contest, or new to the forum? If new to the forum, then no, we've already seen repeat accounts made solely for cheating a vote. If new to the contest, I'm not sure what you mean by "middle". Are they trying to insert an entry when voting has already started? Doing that will just mess up all the votes.

And why would a participant leave the contest early? I don't see how he or she can do that if the art is already submitted. At that point it's out of the creator's hands. Or, are you labeling the participant as someone involved with managing the contest? If so, then staff would just have to choose someone else.

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-29, 22:37   Link #455
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I was planning for the SOTM to become a yearly event like the International Saimoe Tournament, with various revisions such as assigning January to October as the Preliminary Stage, and November and December as the Final/Semi-Final Stage for the competition.

There should be rules regarding interested users who want to join the contest on August or participants who wish to leave the contest on April, for example.

Old 2011-12-29, 23:00   Link #456
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Monthly is long enough. Can't we shrink it down?
Old 2011-12-29, 23:41   Link #457
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

^to weekly?

knowing that most graphics artists have busy schedules from either school or work, entries will decrease dramatically

a Monthly contest is good enough IMO

Old 2011-12-29, 23:51   Link #458
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Also, brain drain is imminent if we do SOT* contests more frequently than once a month.

Old 2011-12-30, 00:51   Link #459
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Weekly would be tiring, I agree. But I meant when Marcus said about Yearly events.
Yes, it should be possible if each monthly contest worked as a classifier for the Year.
Old 2011-12-30, 01:18   Link #460
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

I like the tournament idea but we also want new faces to join every now and then. And since we're going with the yearly tournament idea, why not turn it into a Fantasy League type of tournament and newcomers can just go in and out. And by the end of the year we accumulate who got the most points and that will be the winner.

Or like seasonal winners but the monthly contest can be shortened into three weeks. Not too much or too little.

Tags
contest, signature, sotm