AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Fate/Zero - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 39 29.32%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 12.03%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 17.29%
7 out of 10 : Good 20 15.04%
6 out of 10 : Average 16 12.03%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 4.51%
4 out of 10 : Poor 7 5.26%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 2.26%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.26%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-12-03, 17:51   Link #41
LunarMoon

So, I heard that Rin actually manages to save the girl in this ep, which means that they changed Rin from being a helpless child who had taken a bite of more than she could chew in the novel, to basically being a super hero. That makes me rage. I knew that it wasn't going to be the best episode of the series, but I never thought that they were going to change the theme of the chapter to such an extent. Friends, I am disappoint.
LunarMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 17:56   Link #42
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
So, I heard that Rin actually manages to save the girl in this ep, which means that they changed Rin from being a helpless child who had taken a bite of more than she could chew in the novel, to basically being a super hero. That makes me rage. I knew that it wasn't going to be the best episode of the series, but I never thought that they were going to change the theme of the chapter to such an extent. Friends, I am disappoint.
Are you me? I had the exact same reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Because they changed it to make Rin a cool tiny super heroine, instead of the helpless little child with delusions of grandeur who bit more than she could chew. The novel chapter was definitely darker.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 18:07   Link #43
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Won't complain much. This kind of eps will be nice if you when you marathon it on disc (owned one of course)
And nice fill in before the last 3 eps arc to close the season.
Old 2011-12-03, 18:15   Link #44
Kagayaki

Ufotable is doing a great job with lighting effects in this series, but this week was even better than normal (possibly because they had no real action to animate so they had some spare time/budget ). The music and direction worked well to create tension most of the time.

However, they needed to make the tentacle monster more threatening to make it clear that Rin was in over her head. And maybe Uryuu could've put up a bit more of a fight.

Within the context of the show, they didn't do much to connect this to the other episodes. It's sort of interesting to see something that turns out differently than in the novel, but I would've rather had it turn out the same way in this case. Because it's so unconnected to the rest of the show, the thematic changes (namely, making Rin actually useful) aren't going to ruin the rest of the show or anything, but I didn't think they did this episode any favors.

Tokiomi and Kariya needed a bit more screentime, so this episode was good for them. Tokiomi's scenes with Rin actually made me feel like Tokiomi was a good dad for half a second there .

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Won't complain much. This kind of eps will be nice if you when you marathon it on disc (owned one of course)
And nice fill in before the last 3 eps arc to close the season.
At the end of the day, I more or less agree with this. Thematic problems aside, it was fun enough to watch. I've seen worse stand-alone breather episodes. I don't advocate any more of these though.
Old 2011-12-03, 18:28   Link #45
Prince of Chips
Real Madrid member

It feels like a wasted episode. I want more action from kiritsugu and kotomine
Prince of Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 18:30   Link #46
Jaden

Hehe...I don't mind seeing Uryu get pushed around by Rin. Poor guy was just carrying out Caster's chores. Actually using violence and damaging the merchandise before it gets to the sculptor would be inexcusable. And in the end Rin learns her lesson.
Old 2011-12-03, 18:33   Link #47
Moridin

This anime is my first encounter with the Fate series. I love most of the episodes in this anime, Fate / Zero, except this one. This episode felt so dissconected from the rest of them, and the Rin character was almost thrown ontop of us and expected to be the main char in an entire eppisode. Considering that she might have a total of 1 minute screen time up until this eppisode that is a big change.

I realize that she will probably move on to becoming one of the main chars in the next grail war ( Fate / Stay night?), but still, this felt too sudden and too dissconnected.

(Nighttime and slightly drunk, will fix errors later if I find any)
Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 18:44   Link #48
Jafri
Kinpika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Hehe...I don't mind seeing Uryu get pushed around by Rin.
I don't like Uryuu or anything but the very fact that he was getting pushed around by Rin bothered the hell out of me. I mean why is he having so much trouble dealing with Rin, the guy has been killing kids for sometime now but all of the sudden Ufotable decides make his character seem stupid by just standing there while Rin destroys the bracelet.

The positive thing about this episode was definitely the screentime Tokiomi and Kariya got, they really needed it.

I'll give this 6/10.
Jafri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 18:55   Link #49
mAc Chaos
King of Heroes

I liked it. The part with Rin overloading the bracelet and the music reminded me of the Emiya scenes in the anime of FSN and the game, where something epic happens.

It didn't change that much. She still was overwhelmed and saved at the end. Not as crushing, perhaps, but she still has plenty of other events in her life to beat her down, so it's not like anything is changed in the long run.
mAc Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 19:04   Link #50
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Well, it was a rather boring episode although it's nice to see Ryunosuke getting beaten like that. But it's not enough to make it memorable.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 19:15   Link #51
HandofFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafri View Post
I don't like Uryuu or anything but the very fact that he was getting pushed around by Rin bothered the hell out of me. I mean why is he having so much trouble dealing with Rin, the guy has been killing kids for sometime now but all of the sudden Ufotable decides make his character seem stupid by just standing there while Rin destroys the bracelet.

The positive thing about this episode was definitely the screentime Tokiomi and Kariya got, they really needed it.

I'll give this 6/10.
I didn't see anything weird about that since Uryuu doesn't know anything about magic at all, so he wasn't sure what was going on. He's not even a magic-user or anything, I'm surprised he's able to provide mana at all to keep caster there. But I guess even if that was a problem, Caster can just find outside sources of mana to sustain himself.
Old 2011-12-03, 19:34   Link #52
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
I didn't see anything weird about that since Uryuu doesn't know anything about magic at all, so he wasn't sure what was going on. He's not even a magic-user or anything, I'm surprised he's able to provide mana at all to keep caster there. But I guess even if that was a problem, Caster can just find outside sources of mana to sustain himself.
He's a serial killer who makes "art" with children's bodies. It's really hard to swallow that a six years old girl can put up a fight. He should have smacked her silly with a chair.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 19:53   Link #53
GeostigmataShi

Quote:
He's a serial killer who makes "art" with children's bodies. It's really hard to swallow that a six years old girl can put up a fight. He should have smacked her silly with a chair.
personally i didn't even see Uryuu trying to strugle...
he's like "oh, let see what this lil' girl can do ~ " and put up NO fighting at all...
so yeah typical look down and your opponent and beaten up instead =v=
GeostigmataShi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 20:33   Link #54
Moekou
Stardust is Delicious~!

Quote:
But, in Harry Potter terms, he's still practically a muggle in his magic knowledge, while Rin is an elite pureblood mage-in-training (from the great Tohsaka line which was a founder of the Grail War itself!) who practices magic daily. Hey Keyneth said it was relevant! . You'd be surprised how deadly a six-year old can be if properly trained compared to an untrained adult. Just ask the Hashshashin. Where's my Assassin Loli dammit~

Also, serial killing/twisted mutilation of corpses and helpless children does not imply fighting ability.
Moekou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 20:34   Link #55
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Alas, not even Fate/Zero is immune from moe...

Oh, well - still a fun ep, if nothing special by these high standards. Figures Urobuchi Gen would've indulged his lolicon fetish somewhere in the course of the story.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 20:50   Link #56
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
First of all, let me just say that I find it absolutely hilarious that loli-Rin has engaged an opposing Master in direct physical conflict before her own father has, when he's the one that's actually participating in this Holy Grail War, not her. The contrast in personality between father and child could hardly be more clear: One brings a whole new meaning to the word "cautious" while the other was quite the little heroic risk-taker here.

With that being said, the scenes between Tokiomi and Rin were genuinely nice ones, perhaps adding a touch of complexity to a character that badly needed it (I'm speaking of Tokiomi, of course). It was good to finally see Kariya again, although he didn't do much. I have to admit that by the time the ED came on, I thought to myself 'What, that's it? Really? That's all we're going to see this episode?'.

In fairness, the episode itself was a mostly pleasant watch, but it felt a bit out of place given what had come before it.

The incongruent nature of the episode is something I'd be willing to entirely let slide if Fate/Zero was a fast-paced show and viewers really could use a breather episode right about now. However, that's not the case. The last episode of Fate/Zero wasn't terribly eventful itself.

Loli-Rin and her friend Kotone were adorable, and in a different anime I'd probably give this a 8/10, but as a Fate/Zero episode at this juncture, it doesn't deserve any more than 7/10, imo. So that's what I'm giving it.
Old 2011-12-03, 20:50   Link #57
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Alas, not even Fate/Zero is immune from moe...

Oh, well - still a fun ep, if nothing special by these high standards. Figures Urobuchi Gen would've indulged his lolicon fetish somewhere in the course of the story.
When you have a loli Rin. It's inevitable, otherwise a good episode to rest some minds from all the info-dumping this series has been giving so far.
Old 2011-12-03, 21:03   Link #58
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Its pretty clear in this episode that not only does Uryuu do nothing but watch, humored by Rin's efforts, but also that Rin was about to be killed outright before Kariya saved her. Its not like she engaged in hand to hand combat with a serial killer, she used magic on someone who knew next to nothing and who was enjoying the spectacle. Had he not been temporarily blinded by the explosion, which he didn't know would happen (but which was shown to happen at the start of the episode, so its not completely a contrived convenience), he'd have killed her.

Its a change from the book, but I don't think its a necessarily bad change.

That aside, the pacing was a little strange coming from everything else to this episode, but at least we know that Tokiomi cares for his daughter even if only a little.
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 21:09   Link #59
Allium
Keep on keeping on

It looks as if they tried to emphasize Uryuu's stupidity. Or maybe Uryuu just underestimated Rin.

I'm surprised that the writers allowed Rin to encounter Uryuu; even if I'm not comparing to the LN, that would still be absurd for Rin to do counter Uryuu on her own, and still make it out unscathed.

It was also nice to see Tokiomi's 'dad' side. And we get a further glimpse of Kariya's goals in the war. (I'm really worried about that fella...)

Overall, nice episode - even if it's of a filler nature. A 7/10 for me.

AND OMGOMG THE NEXT ONE...
Allium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 21:15   Link #60
Jaden

Well, it is a little strange that Caster leaves his master so vulnerable. Rin could've accidentally killed him if she had packed some of her father's jewels or something...imagine that...the Tohsaka Magus-killer.

I guess you could interpret this as: Caster has already accumulated so much magic that his master is just a small convenience and a nice guy to keep around. Or just oversight from the anime direction.