AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-17, 14:46   Link #541
Meophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Why are you so worked up for? I was merely making a statement based on my observations, why do I even want to babble about your "mistakes"? If I offended you, then I apologize, so cut the attitude.

Sorry.

Bah, forget, I don't know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Having some trouble following you, Kazu-kun. It isn't a huge reach that 1999 was the year of his last hope, his last year of middle school, and the year he graduated from childish dreams. That would make him entering high school in the year 2000. There is zero data to support any time lapse and conversely a fair amount of dialog that implies 2000AD as his first year in high school.
I'd be happy to reconsider the hypothesis if some data is found implying otherwise.
I agree to an extent, but what the SOS団 wiki-thing says does have some merit, but then again, I'm not 100% sure on how Golden Week works. Still, to say that it takes place on 2009 is a little…
Old 2006-10-17, 15:07   Link #542
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Golden Week is a collection of 4 holidays and Japan just said "WTH" and made it a whole week off. The whole country pretty much shuts down for festivals and holiday. It happens in the first week of May.

So... the school year starts on April 1st and just about the time everyone gets rolling they have Golden Week. Then in mid-summer there's a one month summer break (which is usually filled with homework and extra-help cram classes) then a fall stretch until the harvest holidays.

Basically instead of the massively antiquated stupid "3 months off for summer" most Americans have (so, who helped with the summer farmwork last summer?) they get lots of breaks throughout the year. Of course, their school system actually expects you to work and meet expectations and the parents support that concept

The wiki thoughts are interesting but mostly speculative.... basic problem with wiki-data is that lame stuff can get left in if few participate or no one provides updated info. Anime stuff in particular seems to have its share of "religious viewpoints" that may or may not have references for backup.
Old 2006-10-17, 17:16   Link #543
Meophist

Quote:
Golden Week is a collection of 4 holidays and Japan just said "WTH" and made it a whole week off. The whole country pretty much shuts down for festivals and holiday. It happens in the first week of May.
Just to clarify (and be more precise), that's from April 29th to May 5th, correct? I've never actually been in Japan around the time of Golden Week. Just during the summer and winter.
Quote:
So... the school year starts on April 1st and just about the time everyone gets rolling they have Golden Week. Then in mid-summer there's a one month summer break (which is usually filled with homework and extra-help cram classes) then a fall stretch until the harvest holidays.
Summer homework... bad memories...
Quote:
The wiki thoughts are interesting but mostly speculative.... basic problem with wiki-data is that lame stuff can get left in if few participate or no one provides updated info. Anime stuff in particular seems to have its share of "religious viewpoints" that may or may not have references for backup.
I'm talking about this in particular:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS団
There are two date-related lines in episode 2; "In the process, we reached the first day after Golden Week." and "So that makes today Wednesday." Considering "the first day after Golden Week" is May 6th that is Wednesday, the year of the story is estimated as 2009, thus "Three years before" is 2006. The anime The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya became a big boom in 2006, and we actually saw the "information flare" caused by Haruhi Suzumiya on the net (like this page or Youtube, for example).
Forgetting the last sentence, this at least happened in the anime. There's no direct proof that these two events happened on the same day, but the series of events do imply it. The same happens in the novel translations. These are, at the very least, verifiable facts. May 6th, 2009 is indeed a Wednesday, although I still find it absurd that it would take place during that year.
Old 2006-10-17, 22:17   Link #544
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, 29April to 5May, so it slides over a weekend as we rotate through the 7 year week cycle. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2282.html

Heh.... it could also make Kyon *wrong* because he was still half-conscious.

It could also mean the writers forgot about Leap Year (when in 2004 normally the 6th would have fallen on Wednesday but Feb29 pushed it)
It could also be an intentional Twilight Zone moment --- Haruhi has screwed with reality.
I can't discount it completely though... it *could* mean that it is the year 2009 in the series... but then that would mean Kyon was fretting about 1999 when he was 5.... odd but not impossible. And I don't suspect much daily life change in only three years barring disaster....

Placing the Haruhi Initial Bang at the 2006 release of the series would be something KyoAni would think of though....

I guess that would clear the XP problem since no one is actually going to upgrade to Vista without having their teeth pulled
Old 2006-10-17, 22:38   Link #545
Kikaifan
Blazing General

I dunno, I think Kazu's thought is plausible- he's not lamenting the uneventful passing of 1999 specifically, he's lamenting that the new millenia has come without the wonders anticipated by scifi and the like.
Old 2006-10-17, 22:56   Link #546
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaifan View Post
I dunno, I think Kazu's thought is plausible- he's not lamenting the uneventful passing of 1999 specifically, he's lamenting that the new millenia has come without the wonders anticipated by scifi and the like.
Considering that the first novel was published in 2003 (and does anyone know when it was first serialized in The Sneaker?), 1999 could be the "three years ago" so important to the overall story.
Old 2006-10-17, 23:10   Link #547
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

*pops in*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Considering that the first novel was published in 2003 (and does anyone know when it was first serialized in The Sneaker?), 1999 could be the "three years ago" so important to the overall story.
"Suzumiya Haruhi" series first appeared in the June 2003 issue of The Sneaker, released on 4/30/03.

By the way, the debut chapter was "Suzumiya Haruhi no Taikutsu" (the baseball episode).

The first novel volume, "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu", was released a little over a month later (6/10/03).

In other words, Tanigawa-san started with the magazine serialization and novel volume release at the same time (although at the time it was only meant to be a one-shot story written as an entry for the Sneaker awards (which it won)).

Tanigawa-san pretty much stayed like that since then: short stories for the magazine serialization, and an original long story for a novel volume every once in a while (like Shoushitsu (vol.4) and Inbou (vol.7), for example).

*pops out*
Old 2006-10-18, 01:32   Link #548
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sometimes no matter how careful a writer is there can be continuity errors .. hell even Tolkien carried around a bag of errors to his grave and LOTR to this day has continuity errors in it. Given the author of the various forms of SHnY has to have one hell of a flowchart/timeline of things happening and *all* the little bits that require continuity checks.... I'm not going to get toooooo anal about it.
Old 2006-10-18, 10:16   Link #549
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Just wondering, has anyone questioned about who the slider in the series is yet? We got aliens, time travellers and espers, but the identity of a slider eludes us... or does it?
Old 2006-10-18, 11:15   Link #550
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Technically... a "slider" is really a time traveler. They're just moving across the axis (river?) of spacetime rather than up and down it.
Yuki might qualify simply because she's aware of how the timeflow is being manipulated but Mikuru comes closer. Itsuki's entrance into "closed space" also qualifies (closed space being a new baby universe or an intersecting p-brane depending on your physics flavor of the week).

Storywise, I haven't seen any indication that someone is tagged specifically as a slider ... maybe the translator guys have noticed someone?
Old 2006-10-18, 11:36   Link #551
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

A slider can also be someone who goes into alternate universes and parallarities. There was a TV drama series a while back called Sliders that discribed something about that. Also, various novels have certain context in regards to this, like Alan Dean Foster's Parallex. So which character has been travelling time and space and demensions or alternate universes?...
Old 2006-10-18, 16:14   Link #552
Meophist

Speaking of sliders, from what I heard, what was actually said in the orignal Japanese was "ike-sekai-jin", which means "one from another world". Likewise, instead of timetravelers, it was "mirai-jin", which I believe means "one from the future".
Spoiler for Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody:
Old 2006-10-18, 16:34   Link #553
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

"alternate universes" and "parallelaties" are just descriptions of the branching of spacetime as a result of quantum wave events. So a time-traveler by default would be sliding up and down and across these branches - which is why I equated sliders and time travelers. I just don't differentiate between "time travel" and "parallel universe hopping" -- though I know people think of them differently in popular fiction.

As Meophist points out, the japanese terms are a little bit squishy.
Old 2006-10-18, 17:44   Link #554
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
Speaking of sliders, from what I heard, what was actually said in the orignal Japanese was "ike-sekai-jin", which means "one from another world".
If that is so, then when does the interpretation of alternate demensions end and different worlds take place? Looks like another one for debate... What about the events in book 4? As well as at the end of book one?

Quote:
"alternate universes" and "parallelaties" are just descriptions of the branching of spacetime as a result of quantum wave events. So a time-traveler by default would be sliding up and down and across these branches - which is why I equated sliders and time travelers. I just don't differentiate between "time travel" and "parallel universe hopping" -- though I know people think of them differently in popular fiction.

As Meophist points out, the japanese terms are a little bit squishy.
While its true that the description of a slider and time-traveller can be the same, using the same pair of trousers in their journey, the idea is that meeting yourself when you are younger is one thing... meeting yourself when you are alt-sexual is another... brings a whole new idea to loving yourself. Though so far, the countiuality of the series has been preserved by the lack of paradoxes, explained away by mikuru's picture theory.
Old 2006-10-18, 19:46   Link #555
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Picture theory bothers me. I'm pretty suspicious of her claims that she can exist in a timeline and still 'have no effect,' especially when she interacts directly with such a powerful agent as Haruhi. Hell, the time-travelers started the whole 'John Smith' causal loop.
Old 2006-10-20, 15:12   Link #556
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

Brief question: does Ryoko come back at some point in the main series? I see so many doujin pictures concerning that sort of thing.
Old 2006-10-20, 15:28   Link #557
LCeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDrake View Post
Brief question: does Ryoko come back at some point in the main series? I see so many doujin pictures concerning that sort of thing.
Spoiler:
Old 2006-10-23, 01:24   Link #558
Primum Mobile

About the year the story takes place, here's my 2 cents:

First of all, the year of the story for the anime is definitely 2004 (unless KyoAni does a fix on the DVD). My proof? In ep. 10, around 5:30 of the a.f.k. release, Kyon's cellphone clearly show that 5/25 is a Tuesday. That would be year 2004.

As for the year for the novel, I have come to the conclusion that either somebody messed the date up (either in-story character or the author), or it's 2003.

My first clue is Dec. 17 -20 must be school days, since Kyon went to school during those 4 days in Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya.

My second clue is July 7 (Tanabata event) and Sept. 1 (first day of school after summer vocation) must also be school days, since Kyon also attended school during those dates. Unfortunately, these 2 dates happen to be the same day.

But now there's a contradiction. Assuming Kyon's high school don't have school on Saturday (as seen during the first "SOS Brigate wondering around the city" acitivity), then 12/17 must be a Monday or a Tuesday. That would be 2001, 2002 and 2007. But on all of those years, 7/7 and 9/1 are on weekend.

I have 2 explanations (other than someone messed the date up) for this contradiction.
(1) Because Kyon's high school was in special pre-holiday schedule, they might have to show up for school on Saturday. This will allow 2003 and 2008 to be considered, and 7/7 and 9/1 are monday on those years.
(2) Due to the event in Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, 12/18 - 12/20 can be concidered as a separate timeline. So as long as 7/7, 9/1, and 12/17 are weekday, any year is fine (which happens to be 2003, 2004, 2008, and 2009).

Both explanations have some flaws in them. But that's the best I can do.

Of course, there's also the issue of "the first day after golden week is a wednesday". If we were to accept that as truth, then there's no way to dispute the story must have happened on 2009. Together with all the other messed up, we can then say the author didn'r really plan on the date very carefully at all.

Bah, I say. Instead, I think the ff. are what really happend (most of which already mentioned by someone else):
(1) Error in translation. While this is the cause I would like to believe the most, concidering both the official Traditional Chinese translation and the a.f.k. translation gave the same translation, this is unlikely.
(2) The day Taniguchi tapped Kyon's shoulder is not the same day Kyon talked to Haruhi about her hair. But the way the story is presented definitely suggest those 2 events happened on the same day...
(3) Kyon in still delirious from the long holiday.
(4) Kyon's school didn't start on May 6, but almost a week later. But I have no proof to back this up.

The 7th novel might also shed some light to this issue (via Valentine's day), but I haven't read the book yet, so I wouldn't know...
Old 2006-10-23, 02:06   Link #559
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

In films, they have somebody whose sole task is to do "continuity checks" to make sure such things are tidier.... it may be that all we can say is that with Haruhi mucking up the spacetime continuum even the stones things are written on are malleable.
Old 2006-11-03, 20:25   Link #560
Blue Reverie
Rank-and-file poster

Ok, really random question!

Does Asakura's hairstyle have a particular name? To be percise I'm talking about the part where the hair behind her ears is tied back in a ponytail and drapped over the hair in the back of her head.

Really crappy description, sorry.

Just one of those odd things that has been nagging me.
Closed Thread