AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-08-22, 14:35   Link #1661
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Wait Sumeragi, I thought you said the Kemari is suppose to keep the ball from touching the ground. How do teams play the Kemari?
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 14:57   Link #1662
Awrya
U mad?

There are no teams competing with each other in Kemari, rather it is a group of players cooperating in keeping the ball from touching the ground.
You're basically allowed to use any part of your body, except your hands.

From the Vol.6 illustrations and the anime, Kemari in the LN is apparently played like football (Imagawa playing against a goal keeper), with the opponent losing if he can't keep the ball afloat/out of the goal.
Kemari is a game focusing on teamwork&exercising your body I guess.
Old 2012-08-22, 14:59   Link #1663
Sumeragi
Banned

Spoiler for Sumeragi's Volume 9 Summary Part 1:
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 15:11   Link #1664
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Ah thank you very much. The Sadists in here are going to love the new addition to Sagara's harem.
Old 2012-08-22, 15:17   Link #1665
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
^ OOOH! Yay, Sumeragi! Thanks! Marry me!

The intense drama keeps me on the edge of my seat, although the pacing of inserting comedy into it (as per Mechatrill's summary) seems a bit off to me at times

But yay! Hanbei! I couldn't hear any better news! And geez, so all the foreshadowing about manipulation and betrayal.. I guess it's keeping with the shifting alliances of the Sengoku Jidai.. I wonder if the Miyoshi are involved as well?
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 17:15   Link #1666
Undertaker

Kemari is also listed as Imagawa' hobby (as with all the court officials and royalties at time) in history and was know to be very good. So much so that this image overshadows the fact he was nicknamed as 東海一の弓 (The best archer in Tokai Region) and was responsible in restoring Imagawa clan's prominence.

Back to Oda mom. While this doesn't excuse her from it, but the mom, Tsuchida Gozen, is of court descend. The Gozen in her name/title is a proof that she was either a court maiden herself, or she is from families with Kuge (court background) descend.

That been said, she basically married down to Nobuhide (maybe due to his talent and as a way to keep him in line.) After all, you don't usually see a retainer of a retainer to have a court-related marriage. But that would explain the divide here.

As for the names that got thrown out, all of them have much higher social standing as Bukai (samurai clans) royalties so their well-manner were not surprising.

But with that been said, ao far in this series, the ones that would fit the court manner has been Imagawa and, believe or not, Mitsuhide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfanta View Post
Shingen CAN actually be well-mannered and courteous if she wanted. At the very least, she treats Monkey better than any other girl from Nobuna's group does. As for Hojo, she's a schemer, yes, but that by no means meant she can't be well mannered if she wanted be. The difference in these characters is that they can adjust accordingly to the situation and deceive others.I haven't read anywhere beyond volume six yet, so my information may be wrong, but it really seems that Hojo can act.
And so can Nobuna, but like Nobuna, Shingen didn't which is why she rebelled against her father to take control both in LN or in history.

The difference here is that Nobunaga was been opposed by virtually EVERYONE when he took over and have to proof himselve. While Shingen had the support of most retainer as well as the younger brother whom his father favored when he started his coup.

But I agree, Nobuna is weak when it comes to putting up a front or a show. It not that she can't do it, she just didn't want to.

But in her defense, she shouldn't have to wear a mask in front of her own mom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
There are no teams competing with each other in Kemari, rather it is a group of players cooperating in keeping the ball from touching the ground.
You're basically allowed to use any part of your body, except your hands.

From the Vol.6 illustrations and the anime, Kemari in the LN is apparently played like football (Imagawa playing against a goal keeper), with the opponent losing if he can't keep the ball afloat/out of the goal.
Kemari is a game focusing on teamwork&exercising your body I guess.

You were right, Kemari was a sport from Chinese royal court. It's basically soccer/football without the scoring part of it. In novel, V6 to be precise, it was still that way.

Spoiler for V6::
Old 2012-08-22, 17:18   Link #1667
weincruzvier

Thanks Sumeragi! Sagara must have one really fast horse to get everywhere he needs to go in a quick manner like that.
weincruzvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 18:10   Link #1668
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Kemari is also listed as Imagawa' hobby (as with all the court officials and royalties at time) in history and was know to be very good. So much so that this image overshadows the fact he was nicknamed as 東海一の弓 (The best archer in Tokai Region) and was responsible in restoring Imagawa clan's prominence.

Back to Oda mom. While this doesn't excuse her from it, but the mom, Tsuchida Gozen, is of court descend. The Gozen in her name/title is a proof that she was either a court maiden herself, or she is from families with Kuge (court background) descend.

That been said, she basically married down to Nobuhide (maybe due to his talent and as a way to keep him in line.) After all, you don't usually see a retainer of a retainer to have a court-related marriage. But that would explain the divide here.

As for the names that got thrown out, all of them have much higher social standing as Bukai (samurai clans) royalties so their well-manner were not surprising.

But with that been said, ao far in this series, the ones that would fit the court manner has been Imagawa and, believe or not, Mitsuhide.

And so can Nobuna, but like Nobuna, Shingen didn't which is why she rebelled against her father to take control both in LN or in history.

The difference here is that Nobunaga was been opposed by virtually EVERYONE when he took over and have to proof himselve. While Shingen had the support of most retainer as well as the younger brother whom his father favored when he started his coup.

But I agree, Nobuna is weak when it comes to putting up a front or a show. It not that she can't do it, she just didn't want to.

But in her defense, she shouldn't have to wear a mask in front of her own mom.

You were right, Kemari was a sport from Chinese royal court. It's basically soccer/football without the scoring part of it. In novel, V6 to be precise, it was still that way.

Thanks for the information, I learnt some interesting stuff. Also, Akechi seems like she would fit in a royal court or something plus her eyes and hair color is purple which means royalty.
Old 2012-08-22, 18:27   Link #1669
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:

Rather than soccer/football, wouldn't it be fitting to call it "juggling" at first?
Old 2012-08-22, 18:40   Link #1670
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirX View Post
Rather than soccer/football, wouldn't it be fitting to call it "juggling" at first?
I think I would call it hot potato or something like that, juggling require a lot more objects to juggle.
Old 2012-08-22, 18:46   Link #1671
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
I think I would call it hot potato or something like that, juggling require a lot more objects to juggle.
Quote:
Juggling is a skill involving moving objects for entertainment or sport. The most recognizable form of juggling is toss juggling, in which the juggler throws objects up to catch and toss up again. This may be one object or many objects.
The term juggling itself can apply to either one object or many, so it doesn't really matter if there is only one mari it's still called juggling term-wise.
Old 2012-08-22, 19:10   Link #1672
Undertaker

The problem with juggling analogy is the no-hand rule in Kemari and the object used is a round ball and not some random object.

As such, IMO, it is still closer to soccer than your typical juggling which don't have the no-hand rule and is not of entertainment/showing purpose.

Keep in mind that passing of the ball is also part of Kemari and it is a multi-players sport. And while Kemari in Japan didn't evolve to have a score keeping, in China, where Kemari is from did ended up with some sort of team competition with score-keeping and goal keeper during the Tang Dynasty (around 600-900AD) before that version (Cu-ju/Tsu' Chu) disappeared by 1700s.

BTW, Cu-ju(or Tsu' Chu, depending on romanization) is acknowledged by FIFA as a form of ancient soccer/football even in it's earliest form during Han Dynasty in 3rd centry B.C. Since Kemari is a direct descendant of that, by association, it wasn't a bad comparison to say the Kemari is a form of soccer minus the scoring concept.

FIFA's History of Football webpage:

http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/...torygame1.html

But I do agree with the Hot-Potato analogy, even though Kemari involves more skill and athletic ability than that simple game.
Old 2012-08-22, 19:15   Link #1673
churchblue
Banned

Juubei's love confusion for Sagara will lead to the Honnō-ji incident in the LN, right?
churchblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 19:20   Link #1674
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchblue View Post
Juubei's love confusion for Sagara will lead to the Honnō-ji incident in the LN, right?
Too early to say, but yeah i think many of us here think that. This has taken the word Love Triangle to a new level, because usually a typical love triangle doesn't involve literally killing your rival.

Though we are getting ahead of ourselves, I think there will be a couple of more volumes before Honnō-ji occurs. Right now we are at Matsunaga Hisahide at vol 9.
Old 2012-08-22, 19:27   Link #1675
Undertaker

Quote:
Thanks for the information, I learnt some interesting stuff. Also, Akechi seems like she would fit in a royal court or something plus her eyes and hair color is purple which means royalty.
Yeah, Akechi Clan is a branch family from the Toki Clan who is of Minamoto (Genji) descend. So Mitsuhide himself very well manner and under Nobunaga, also acts as the primary contact between Oda and the royal court. Simply put all the Daimyo at time were technically part of royal family, but compare to Oda, Akechi clan is much closer in blood therefor are more prestige as they are direct branch from Toki, above that would be the smaller controlling clans like Takeda, Date, while clans like Toki, Imagawa, Hojo, Uesugi, Asakura and Oda's controlling clan Shiba Clan are even a tier above that.

Quote:
Too early to say, but yeah i think many of us here think that. This has taken the word Love Triangle to a new level, because usually a typical love triangle doesn't involve literally killing your rival.

Though we are getting ahead of ourselves, I think there will be a couple of more volumes before Honnō-ji occurs. Right now we are at Matsunaga Hisahide at vol 9.
Yeah, with Shingen and Kenshin both still alive not to mention Hojo and Mori, and even Date. There are still tons of stuff here that is throwing bunch of curveballs to the history that we know. Especially, with Takeda clan, because we still have not get to Battle of Nagashino that lead to Takeda's slow decline.

And we still don't know if clans like Tachibana, Shimada, or Chosokabe will appear or not.

Last edited by Undertaker; 2012-08-22 at 19:54.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 19:57   Link #1676
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Yeah, Akechi Clan is a branch family from the Toki Clan who is of Minamoto (Genji) descend. So Mitsuhide himself very well manner and under Nobunaga, also acts as the primary contact between Oda and the royal court. Simply put all the Daimyo at time were technically part of royal family, but compare to Oda, Akechi clan is much closer in blood therefor are more prestige as they are direct branch from Toki, above that would be the smaller controlling clans like Takeda, Date, while clans like Toki, Imagawa, Hojo, Uesugi, Asakura and Oda's controlling clan Shiba Clan are even a tier above that.

Yeah, with Shingen and Kenshin both still alive not to mention about Hojo and Mori, and then we still Date. There are still tons of stuff here. Especially, with Takeda clan, because we still have not get to Battle of Nagashino that lead to Takeda's slow decline.

And we still don't know if clans like Tachibana, Shimada, or Chosokabe will appear or not.
Yeah there are plenty to explore, all the Daimyo are interesting characters.
Old 2012-08-22, 20:16   Link #1677
Sumeragi
Banned

I'll be writing a short special on Juubei within a few days. She's probably the most interesting character among the Oda faction.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 20:20   Link #1678
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
I'll be writing a short special on Juubei within a few days. She's probably the most interesting character among the Oda faction.
I bet she is, she is one of the few female characters that is dense about her feelings. Ranking her in the Ichika Orimura dense scale, I say she is a 4 out of 10 I think.
Old 2012-08-22, 20:35   Link #1679
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator

Quote:
Actually, for some odd reason, I like her the most, over the other females
Syokool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 21:01   Link #1680
Mechatrill

Okay, volume 6, let's go.

Spoiler:

And that's all for summaries. The Chinese translation of Vol 7 is nowhere near done, and I have no idea if it's even ongoing. Vol 8 and on haven't even started, so I doubt they'll be done anytime soon. Thus, this is the last summary out of me that you'll be seeing for a while...
Mechatrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, alternate universe, ecchi, fake harem, fantasia bunko, ga bunko, harem, historical, romance, sengoku jidai, shounen, true harem